Author Topic: Need a dremel/rotary tool for aluminum cutting.  (Read 28520 times)

Offline bear95

Need a dremel/rotary tool for aluminum cutting.
« on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 16:47:29 »
Hi,
I'm going to buy a dremel for aluminum cutting for aluminum for a custom computer case I may be building soon(and perhaps some keyboard cases  ;D). I'm thinking of getting the Dremel 3000 and I think I need to buy a seperate disk for cutting aluminum. I have money to buy these two but does anybody have different recommendations that is cheaper or should these be my minimum?
Thanks

Offline Djuzuh

Re: Need a dremel/rotary tool for aluminum cutting.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 16:48:51 »
I have a cheap dremel rip-off.

I don't recommand it.

fartq

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 17:02:13 »
you,ll nee the reinforced cutting discs and the highest power dremel you can find. i'm not crazy about any of the off brand rotary tools i've used either.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 17:03:43 »
I have a non-ferrous saw blade for my chopsaw and my electric handsaw.  Lots of fun!
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 17:52:19 »
Hell with dremels, better off getting a cheap jigsaw. I have made several cases and use dremels only for light finishing cuts in tight radius that will bind a jigsaw. Not to mention that you will spend a fortune on cutting disk if you are cutting any large pieces.

Offline bear95

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 18:28:13 »
So I think I will stick with dremels. I don't think I can use a jigsaw though and luckily I won't be cutting large pieces because I'm trying to make a mITX case.

Offline bear95

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 18:30:42 »
About the dremel cut-off wheels. I've seen recommendations for number 426. Should the disks that come included be enough or should I buy that?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 18:41:33 »
I'd say that the cheap non-brand ones are often decent, but the tools and bits are useless. I use a dremel copy but only use dremel's own bits. The big thing you often loose with the copies is rpm adjustment. The cheap ones adjust the power, which means that if you load it, it will slow down. Real ones adjust based on rpm, and if you load it, it will attempt to maintain the rpm value which you have set.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 19:06:13 »
I bought a knock off dremel, it worked fine for 2 years. I didn't use it a ton, but enough to get the tools cost back
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 19:12:38 »
the nice thing about dremels and the reason why they're preferred for soft and thin metal working is that you have better control over the force vector applied to the material being cut. so for example, when working with thin aluminum like the kind you'll find on computer cases, if a jigsaw binds or applies too much instantaneous force to the panel, you now have an ugly bent panel.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 19:30:36 »
Hmn, I don't know about thin stuff, I usually use 18 to 16 gauge sheet. It's studier and keeps form well when bent which is important. Never had problems with binds or control saw, I have adjust speed and usually cut very slow and have it locked in the table and move the metal piece for cutting.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 20:22:25 »
yah for a big thick panel a table and a jigsaw with a foot pedal to control speed is probably the way to go

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 07:36:30 »
Although this is very old, I was wondering if anyone had a dremel they would recommend that is a decent price!

Thanks

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:44:21 »
sure, i have a 4000 with a flex shaft that i like quite a bit. my previous unit was a 2-speed multi-max. imo the continuously variable speed is worth it, and the flex shaft makes cordless unnecessary for work that can be done on a desk

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:46:25 »
Harbor Freight.

Get your Dremel Knock-off there. Probably less than $20 ^_^

I love that place

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:42:04 »
A Dremel is one thing I do not recommend a knockoff with at all, for reasons previously stated. I used to have an Ozito which was just under half price of the cheapest dremel... and it was bloody hopeless.

It would wear through bits in 30 seconds flat, but that wasn't the main problem as you could easily get a 110pc Dremel bit set for the price difference. That being said, don't buy cheap bits like the 400 piece generic kits, a 50pc Dremel kit will last longer... Seriously. Doing some rust removal on a car a grinding stone lasted about 2 minutes, a cutting wheel about 30 seconds, the cutting discs I used disappeared as fast as the metal they were cutting through. The dremel bits I have been using the last few days are barely marked, have had no reason to use a cutting disc yet, but the grinding stone has had a fair bit of use and I see next to no where.

As for the tool itself it was ok but as stated earlier in the thread they do not have constant speed adjustment, the tool would slow down under load eventually ending up in the bit getting stuck and the motor screaming trying to get the bit to spin until it was promptly shut off. The dremels keep a constant speed and so far I have never seen a bit get stuck. If however it does the tool has a safety mechanism built in to shut the tool off as soon as it happens for safety and so it doesn't burn the motor out.

The one I have is the Dremel Stylus as it is Wireless with a dock which is perfect for my computer desk especially as it is always charged for small jobs and has plenty of power for what I need with a max speed of 25,000 RPM.

I didn't see the point of paying double for a Dremel until I bought a crap one and thought meh and it disappeared while moving house, decided to buy a real Dremel as a replacement hoping it would be better and just wow I didn't realise how much better it could be, there is no comparison.

Just my opinion of course and if it is only going to get used once, sure buy a cheap one. If you need to do a big job or want a tool that will last years, buy a Dremel.

TL:DR; Generic Bad, Dremel Amazing.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 10:18:04 »
@MattBuzzy
If I need to cut an ANSI150 plate to make some modifications and make some slight adjustments to a cm storm QFR case, would the one you have be money worthy?

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:37:02 »
If you are just doing a couple of small jobs and not constant use I would say get a cheap one, and grab some Dremel fibreglass reinforced cut-off wheels #426.  :)

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 11:56:30 »
If you are just doing a couple of small jobs and not constant use I would say get a cheap one, and grab some Dremel fibreglass reinforced cut-off wheels #426.  :)

Thank you sir! Which cheap one would you recommend? Sorry I don't know what makes a good one compared to a bad one :/

Also would the the #426 be good for modding the plastic case?

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 12:41:23 »
If you want to go wireless I would go for this one http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-GLHT72-65-Lithium-Ion-Rotary-Accessories/dp/B008CCE7PM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1360088889&sr=8-16&keywords=rotary+tool It seems like the best price for a Li-Ion one and the standard cutting discs would be fine for plastic. That being said as you want to cut metal you may want to play it safe and get a faster corded model http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RTX-B-3-Speed-Rotary/dp/B000MUSLCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360088889&sr=8-1&keywords=rotary+tool Black and Decker is a brilliant brand and this one goes up to 30,000 RPM.

For your other question, the reinforced discs would be fine for plastic, but not necessary, the standard discs would do just fine.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:10:37 »
For what you will spend on a cheap, one, if you plan to use it more than once, buy a real Dremel. Preferably with the flex shaft.
You will be amazed at what all they can be used for and the flex shaft really makes things nicer. The Black and Deckers seem okay, but Dremel is still a bit better made. Another thing is options and replacement parts, Dremel has loads of them, others don't.  You may think Dremel is over priced, but their available accessories, spares, and precision (you break and damage fewer disks) make them worth more than the competition.

As for wireless, I would rather have a flex shaft than wireless. You have limited time on wireless, and if you are doing a big case mod, it could take days. The flex shaft lets you into places no other Dremel can reach.

If you will be cutting a LOT, you might want to consider an angle grinder as well. Blades/bits/disks being as expensive as they are, you should consider the cost of them. Which is why I recommend the angle grinder. For larger work, a $20-$40 angle grinder and $5 disk will cut as much as $100 or more worth of Dremel disks. While working on a heavy steel server case (Supermicro), I burned through 5 disks and barely made a scratch before I went and bought an angle grinder. It was faster, and a whole lot cheaper to operate. Noisey as heck though.

Beware the jigsaws and scrollsaws.
As mentioned, one snag and you can destroy a panel really, really fast. The same applies to cutting Lexan/Plexiglass/acrylic with a table saw. My last house still has a nice dent  in the back plywood wall, and my stomach still has a small scar from the kickback it caused. None of this happens with grinders and Dremels, at least not at the level where it can hurt you or the panel.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:23:36 »
For what you will spend on a cheap, one, if you plan to use it more than once, buy a real Dremel. Preferably with the flex shaft.
You will be amazed at what all they can be used for and the flex shaft really makes things nicer. The Black and Deckers seem okay, but Dremel is still a bit better made. Another thing is options and replacement parts, Dremel has loads of them, others don't.  You may think Dremel is over priced, but their available accessories, spares, and precision (you break and damage fewer disks) make them worth more than the competition.

As for wireless, I would rather have a flex shaft than wireless. You have limited time on wireless, and if you are doing a big case mod, it could take days. The flex shaft lets you into places no other Dremel can reach.

If you will be cutting a LOT, you might want to consider an angle grinder as well. Blades/bits/disks being as expensive as they are, you should consider the cost of them. Which is why I recommend the angle grinder. For larger work, a $20-$40 angle grinder and $5 disk will cut as much as $100 or more worth of Dremel disks. While working on a heavy steel server case (Supermicro), I burned through 5 disks and barely made a scratch before I went and bought an angle grinder. It was faster, and a whole lot cheaper to operate. Noisey as heck though.

Beware the jigsaws and scrollsaws.
As mentioned, one snag and you can destroy a panel really, really fast. The same applies to cutting Lexan/Plexiglass/acrylic with a table saw. My last house still has a nice dent  in the back plywood wall, and my stomach still has a small scar from the kickback it caused. None of this happens with grinders and Dremels, at least not at the level where it can hurt you or the panel.

Thank you very much for you're replies everyone!

@Leslieann
I think getting a little more expensive dremel/angle grinder would be worth it in the long run. I've been looking at different ones all day!

What dremel and what angle grinder would you recommend? I want to make the right decision first and not regret it!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:46:12 »
I have an older, standard Dremel (that has been beat to death) and one that came with a flex shaft. No idea on numbers.

For angle grinder, I went with Sears Craftsman for the warranty. Angle grinders live a rough life, however, even the cheap Harbor Freight ones will last a while. A nice thing about angle grinders... you can even find a wide variety of disks at Walmart.

Be sure to get some safety glasses, ear plugs and a cheap face mask, and wear some worn out clothes. Both of these tools, noisily, throw a lot of metal and dust around. I've ruined a few sweatshirts from metal shards burning holes in them, better a shirt or glasses than an eyeball.  I also recommend a paper face mask as the dust is probably not great for your lungs.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:53:40 »
I have an older, standard Dremel (that has been beat to death) and one that came with a flex shaft. No idea on numbers.

For angle grinder, I went with Sears Craftsman for the warranty. Angle grinders live a rough life, however, even the cheap Harbor Freight ones will last a while. A nice thing about angle grinders... you can even find a wide variety of disks at Walmart.

Be sure to get some safety glasses, ear plugs and a cheap face mask, and wear some worn out clothes. Both of these tools, noisily, throw a lot of metal and dust around. I've ruined a few sweatshirts from metal shards burning holes in them, better a shirt or glasses than an eyeball.  I also recommend a paper face mask as the dust is probably not great for your lungs.

I've been looking at some angle grinders, and I think I'd be better off getting an actual dremel because I need to make modifications to a case also, and having an angle grinder would not help this at all :/

I think I've decided on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001GUDRI/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk as my choice, comes with many accessories for a lot of different things, I think it should do the job!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 00:39:53 »
I've been looking at some angle grinders, and I think I'd be better off getting an actual dremel because I need to make modifications to a case also, and having an angle grinder would not help this at all :/

I think I've decided on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001GUDRI/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk as my choice, comes with many accessories for a lot of different things, I think it should do the job!
I still recommend a real Dremel, but apparently this works with Black And Decker. Get one... you will thank me later.
http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-840857-Flexible-Rotary-36-Inch/dp/B003H051W2/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1360218689&sr=1-4&keywords=dremel+flex

Angle grinders are good for windows and that's mostly it for cases, however I used them for cutting brackets, and sanding the case as well. Dremels are more versatile (not to mention just an amazing tool), just that on bigger things they become extremely costly. On my Supermicro case, I saved money by buying the angle grinder just to do the windows
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 06:11:52 »
Dont use dremel for precision work without a stand, you will bound to get uneven cutting.

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:12:18 »

I still recommend a real Dremel, but apparently this works with Black And Decker. Get one... you will thank me later.
http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-840857-Flexible-Rotary-36-Inch/dp/B003H051W2/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1360218689&sr=1-4&keywords=dremel+flex

Angle grinders are good for windows and that's mostly it for cases, however I used them for cutting brackets, and sanding the case as well. Dremels are more versatile (not to mention just an amazing tool), just that on bigger things they become extremely costly. On my Supermicro case, I saved money by buying the angle grinder just to do the windows

Wait.. hangon  ur attaching the angle grinder "TO" this dremel stand ?  or are you just using the angle grinder free hand.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:04:12 »
Wait.. hangon  ur attaching the angle grinder "TO" this dremel stand ?  or are you just using the angle grinder free hand.

TP this post is from 2013.....
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:42:01 »

Don't look at me... Go away

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 21:04:49 »

Don't look at me... Go away
Show Image

.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition