Author Topic: Quickfire Pro not playing nice with my mobo?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline M0rph3us

Quickfire Pro not playing nice with my mobo?
« on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 23:50:22 »
Ok so here is the deal, I have a Quickfire Pro that for some reason it is not being detected by UEFI (BIOS) on my Crosshair V Formula with Windows 7. Does anyone know if there is some trick or something in the bios that I need to enable to get this thing to work? I have tried everything I can think of. Below is a recent update in my continued saga to get this thing to work. I'm currently typing on a crappy Dell OEM KB, and it's killing me. I want my MX Browns back. Help please!

I looked high and low for a USB->PS/2 adapter and couldn't find one. I finally went to Fry's and bought one for $2. This damn thing still doesn't work even with a USB->PS/2 Adapter? It works on my 2 netbooks, on my office PC as well as on my regular laptop (in NKRO as well as 6KRO), but won't work on my desktop? I know these things are said to be finicky with the 990FX chipset, but I would think that using PS/2 should solve the issue.

All I get is the wasd cluster, arrow keys, and CM Storm Logo flash on for a second when I plug it in, but it won't be recognized (by windows or bios) no matter where I plug it in. I have tried using all 4 USB 3 plugs as well as every USB 2 plug on my mobo. My mind is definitely boggled as the board obviously should work, but I don't know why it won't be recognized by my mobo. I even updated to the newest bios available for my Crosshair V that says it has updated USB compatibility.

Offline stingrae

Re: Quickfire Pro not playing nice with my mobo?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 03:31:23 »
QFPro wont work with passive ps/2 adapter afaik and nkro mode is known to not work in bios.

Have you tried enabling legacy USB support or disabling it? 
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 08:15:14 »
QFPro wont work with passive ps/2 adapter afaik and nkro mode is known to not work in bios.

Have you tried enabling legacy USB support or disabling it? 

Why are you solving a problem THE HARD WAY...

Just use your old keyboard for your bios. Sheeesh...

Is it that important to you to have mx red, in bios?

Offline stingrae

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 08:40:04 »
Well for me the easy way is to buy a better keyboard xD. Imagine you have to move countries, you have to drag along or buy a separate keyboard for when bios goes wrong? Seems silly...
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 10:04:12 »
Well for me the easy way is to buy a better keyboard xD. Imagine you have to move countries, you have to drag along or buy a separate keyboard for when bios goes wrong? Seems silly...

Imagine having to move to a different country? I would assume you'd bring all your **** with you.. along with your old keyboard, that isn't much more...

Offline M0rph3us

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 10:57:11 »
Sorry my explanation must have been poor. I didn't mean that it just won't work in bios. I mean it won't work AT ALL. Even once in windows I just get the wasd, and arrow key flash when I attempt to plug it in. It works on my 2 netbooks as well as my full size laptop and my work PC, but not my home PC.

If passive PS/2 Adapter won't work then I guess I'm screwed. Legacy USB support is enabled as with all my PCs from the day I get them. I just want the thing to work in windows or I'm gonna go buy a Zowie Celeritas with browns in it like my board has. I  forgot to mention I have the MX Brown variant of the Quickfire Pro if that makes a difference even though I'm sure it doesn't
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2012, 11:08:54 by M0rph3us »

Offline mich

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 11:13:47 »
Maybe it gets shut down because it tries to draw more power than it explicitly asks for? Did you try running it on external, powered hub?

BTW, PS/2 is never a part of any nothbridge/southbridge. It's included in so-called "SuperIO" chip (which contains also COM, LPT, floppy, fan, etc controllers). Your 990FX doesn't even care if PS/2 exists at all.

Offline M0rph3us

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 11:35:09 »
I don't have a powered USB hub. I'm sure they have them at Fry's or something of the sort. Maybe I will try that.

Also can you please explain what you mean by draws more power than it explicity asks for? You mean that the board is drawing more power than it is supposed to? I'm confused as to how that would work out.

Offline mich

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 02:52:34 »
Wait, I misunderstood your post and believed that it doesn't work neither in BIOS nor in Windows. If it doesn't work only in BIOS then it must be some BIOS bug or misconfiguration, not a hardware problem.

Also can you please explain what you mean by draws more power than it explicity asks for? You mean that the board is drawing more power than it is supposed to? I'm confused as to how that would work out.
USB device isn't supposed to draw more than 100mA of current without asking for permission. Some pedantic controllers cut off devices which violate this rule even if they don't draw really unreasonable amounts of current.

Offline M0rph3us

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 10:10:13 »
Wait, I misunderstood your post and believed that it doesn't work neither in BIOS nor in Windows. If it doesn't work only in BIOS then it must be some BIOS bug or misconfiguration, not a hardware problem.

You were correct it doesn't work in windows either, and thanks for the info!

Offline M0rph3us

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 18:58:18 »
Ok so in everything I plug it into it reads 100mA in Device Manager so I guess I'm going to continue troubleshooting.