Author Topic: Noob question  (Read 1165 times)

Offline fydo

• Meow!
Noob question
« on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 17:56:13 »
Hello! I just got my new Quickfire Rapid in the mail today, along with a lovely set of Red Alert modifiers from SP. I absolutely love this keyboard (It's my first time trying a Cherry MX switch keyboard)
I ran into a bit of a snag while putting them on though. See this photo (excuse the poor phone camera quality)

These little white clips fit into the stems of the Coolermaster keycaps quite snugly, but they are loose and fall out if I try to put them into my SP keycaps. I'm just wondering if I'm doing this completely wrong, or do I need to get new, SP-sized white clips? (I'm sure I'm getting some of this terminology wrong)

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid | Ducky Shine II (White LED)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Noob question
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:01:51 »
Nope, the red mod set have a loose stem and it's a known problem.

To fix this put some tape in the stem and push the white clip into the stem. If it's still not tight, add another piece of tape. The white clip should be tight but not impossible to remove.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 18:43:18 »
Nawh.. dawg.. You put a square piece of tape on the cross stem sticky part facing the stem..

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 20:27:51 »
I used a different method. I'm no expert but it worked for me when I ran into this issue. I put the inserts on the stabilizer first, longer side pointing towards where the back of the key will be, making sure to level the inserts so the tip stands straight up. Then I gently lifted the stabilizer, put the key on, lifted the other end of the key to align the middle stem with the switch, then pressed down.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 21:59:24 »
Great, thanks so much everyone! Your advice worked great.  :D

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 22:20:17 »
That red modifier kit makes it look nicer. Does the difference in profile bother you at all?

Offline fydo

• Meow!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 17:26:19 »
That red modifier kit makes it look nicer. Does the difference in profile bother you at all?

I thought maybe it would, but I really don't notice it that much while typing.

I might keep my eyes peeled for more keycaps to fix this profile issue anyways. :)