Author Topic: So my left arrow key switch doesnt feel like it the others.  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Johan

So my left arrow key switch doesnt feel like it the others.
« on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 10:21:28 »
So after having buying my first mechanical keyboard so where in the middle of the summer, So my ducky shine is around 3 months old and my left arrow key feels odd. Its alot more "springy" and feels Linear and stiffer, I've removed the keycap and it is a brown, as it should be. Are there any recommendations on what Im supposed to do? I'm not sure if i could get it exchanged, Ill try to get some footage and some audio as it also sounds a bit more squeaky that the other switches.
Uh, stuff.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: So my left arrow key switch doesnt feel like it the others.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 12:03:00 »
So after having buying my first mechanical keyboard so where in the middle of the summer, So my ducky shine is around 3 months old and my left arrow key feels odd. Its alot more "springy" and feels Linear and stiffer, I've removed the keycap and it is a brown, as it should be. Are there any recommendations on what Im supposed to do? I'm not sure if i could get it exchanged, Ill try to get some footage and some audio as it also sounds a bit more squeaky that the other switches.

The little bump in the stem might be slightly mismolded such that it's "too low". So as plastic wears out, the tactile feel becomes less pronounced.

This will occur on Browns quite easily by natural wear and tear as well. EVENTUALLY, the brown will feel MORE and MORE similar to MX-RED.

Which is why brown is the worst switch.....  if it's gonna turn into reds, you might as well have gotten reds to begin with.

Here's the transistion

Browns  -> Broken Browns -> Broken Reds -> Reds

Offline Johan

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 12:42:01 »
I doubt its due to use as I almost never use the left arrow, if it was worn out then there would be other keys having the same issues. Also If it was due to wear and tear, then wouldn't the spring feel less "springy" than it currently is as it currently more "springy" than all the other keys.
Thanks for your reply.
Uh, stuff.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 16:06:27 »
Or a slight variation in manufacture - a borderline switch that just scraped thru quality assurance.

One of my Ducky Shines has an up arrow key that does not click all the time (MX blues).  The key works fine otherwise.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 16:19:09 »
If you think that one switch is broken, then I would personally just desolder it and replace with another switch. Dealing with international shipping back and forth, the costs, and time that requires to replace it is too much hassle.

Offline Johan

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 14:49:29 »
So I got some footage, However It doesn't really show the issue that well, But it does show the fact that it feels linear and not tactile. While I was filming I decided to show another little problem with this KB, Which is in the top arrow key, It kinda locks in place when if you hit it at a wrong angle. Its not huge but it's definitely an annoying feature.
feature=youtu.be
Best way I can describe it, scratchy
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 October 2012, 14:52:38 by Johan »
Uh, stuff.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 14:57:51 »
So I got some footage, However It doesn't really show the issue that well, But it does show the fact that it feels linear and not tactile. While I was filming I decided to show another little problem with this KB, Which is in the top arrow key, It kinda locks in place when if you hit it at a wrong angle. Its not huge but it's definitely an annoying feature.
feature=youtu.be
Best way I can describe it, scratchy

Sure DOES sounds weird... My Das Keyboard Silent doesn't sounds anything like those arrow keys do... Kinda weird if you ask me, and not only the arrow keys but the entire keyboard as well...

But o well, those arrow keys sure are messed up, especially that up arrow, and that has nothing to do with the type of Cherry Switch... Certainly an RMA case, but since it's too much of an hassle...
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Johan

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 15:26:53 »
I could probably get a return, if I give it some effort, Ill wright an email to the store.
Uh, stuff.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 October 2012, 20:57:25 »
Lube it up! I got my first browns used on ebay and the seller failed to mention the num0 was stiff and sticky.(due to some dirt I presume) I got some lube and lubed it up! I can say that it is better than new. Try some of DeoxIT from Caig Labs, its great and I haven't had to relube it again yet! D5 is for cleaning the switch and F5 is for lubing it. http://www.caig.com/
SmallFry! <3

Offline Johan

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 10:12:55 »
Its not really sticky, But thanks any way.
Uh, stuff.