Author Topic: CM Storm QuickFire Pro just came in...  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Elxx

CM Storm QuickFire Pro just came in...
« on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:05:30 »
Hey everyone,

First post. To start off with, I'm really surprised there is such a strong community behind keyboards...glad there are people out there like me  :))

Anyways, a couple of questions about this keyboard. I noticed the "windows'' key says 'win' instead of the cm logo. Is that a new thing?

The second thing is the src lock light won't turn on. Is there something more than just hitting the key to get it to light up? Not that I even know what it should do.

Does anyone else feel the need to type extra verbose sentences on new keyboards, just because they like pressing the keys? -_-

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: CM Storm QuickFire Pro just came in...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:08:23 »
Hmm, scroll lock is useless, but the LED should light anyhow.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Elxx

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:55:31 »
Yeah I really don't care that much. Just wondering what was going on.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:57:22 »
Just wondering, your keyboard says "Made in Taiwan" or "Made in China" underneath it?
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline cosmonauti

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:58:48 »
mine is an iOne, go figure
heuheuheuheu
BWU
CMStorm Trigger
CMStorm Rapid

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 00:50:58 »
Hey everyone,

First post. To start off with, I'm really surprised there is such a strong community behind keyboards...glad there are people out there like me  :))

Anyways, a couple of questions about this keyboard. I noticed the "windows'' key says 'win' instead of the cm logo. Is that a new thing?

The second thing is the src lock light won't turn on. Is there something more than just hitting the key to get it to light up? Not that I even know what it should do.

Does anyone else feel the need to type extra verbose sentences on new keyboards, just because they like pressing the keys? -_-

LOL, it's good to see that there are people who won't sweat the small stuff...

But, yea, you could quite easily get a replacement from either the retailer or the manufacturer..

It may be a usb "power" issue though, some computers don't gotz nuff amppsess on the 5vsb

Try other puters.

Offline urbanus

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 04:54:51 »

What OS?  Have you tried with another keyboard?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 15:48:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Scroll lock does nothing on my Mac (not even light up), but works on Windows - are you using Windows?

Yes, I sometimes get the urge to type more than usual, or repeatedly press a key rather than just hold it down - love these blues :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elxx

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 23:28:52 »

Windows originally. Switched the keyboard over to my linux box and it lit up. Not sure why but who cares...they all work now =)

Switched back to windows and it worked as well.
Just wondering, your keyboard says "Made in Taiwan" or "Made in China" underneath it?

I'll check tomorrow. I ended up leaving the keyboard at work. I don't remember any writing on the bottom but I'll give it a good look-over.

Offline magnetik

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 07:50:35 »
Many of the manufacturer responses on Newegg for this keyboard have asked the buyer to make sure that they plugged in the USB cable to the keyboard all the way.

Apparently, there's a bit of resistance to plug in the USB cable all the way, and you will hear a click when you do so.

Offline m_enanos

• tbb
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 08:05:29 »
how is the quality of the keyboard? Who manufactures it?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 09:33:14 »
They recently changed this on their rapids, when they went to the "brandless" configuration. (I prefer the word "stealth" as it still has a brand on the back)

Offline sovano

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 10:17:36 »
I have a CM Storm Quickfire Pro that I'm typing on right now. Personally I don't have a problem with it other than a very slight wobble in the keyboard due to uneven height. Mines was made in China. I'm not sure if you guys were alluding to there being two different manufacturers that produced this keyboard from China and Taiwan. Although I'm considering selling mines in order to get the trigger instead. Mainly because it's a full back-lit keyboard. The USB cable issue was stupidity on most people's part, and on the manufacturer's as well. It takes more force than normal to plug in the USB cable all the way. It has to be flush with the keyboard. It's one of the main reasons why on Newegg it has a considerably lowering rating than other CM Storm keyboards on the website.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2012, 10:19:16 by sovano »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 11:28:24 »

Oh yes. Still do, but it was really bad at first.
I just got a new pen as well, but I don't really write much of anything these days so I'm trying to think up stuff to write down just to use my fancy new pen.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 17:03:22 »

Absolutely. Well... maybe not "just because" i like pressing the keys... but that's surely a significant contributing factor.

It's also the feel and the sound... as well as the fact that it's a brand-new thing, and i want to use it as much as possible...

Hence the examples i've given here, to show what i think you're getting at.

I read that line, and logged in, just to type some sentences about how i agree with your statement.

lol. :)
Logitech G710+

Offline Elxx

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 20:08:27 »

Windows originally. Switched the keyboard over to my linux box and it lit up. Not sure why but who cares...they all work now =)

Switched back to windows and it worked as well.

I'll check tomorrow. I ended up leaving the keyboard at work. I don't remember any writing on the bottom but I'll give it a good look-over.

Made in China.

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 22:44:42 »

Hahahaha IBM/Made in USA FTW!