Author Topic: First mechanical keyboard  (Read 1703 times)

Offline magnetik

First mechanical keyboard
« on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 20:59:54 »
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard. My desire to buy one was sparked by the realization that my membrane keyboard might actually be causing my wrist pain.

I'll be using the keyboard for about 80% typing and 20% gaming. From what I've read, Cherry brown switches should meet my needs.

This keyboard, the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid SGK-4000-GKCM1-US, is within my budget. Is it a decent choice?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: First mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:02:31 »
Yes, that's a good keyboard. buy it on Amazon. it's way cheaper there.

This particular model with cherry mx blue is often on sale for as low as $50, if you can wait, check slickdeals.net from time to time.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:06:31 »
Go for the Quickfire Rapid, it's the cheapest with great quality mechanical board available in the market. There's like an entire fanclub of it here on Geekhack, lol.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:10:59 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline magnetik

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:15:21 »

This particular model with cherry mx blue is often on sale for as low as $50, if you can wait, check slickdeals.net from time to time.

Thanks for the advice, it looks like this particular model is more expensive on Amazon at the moment. Is there anywhere else I should look?

I'm interested in TKL because I like to line up the 'B' key with the center of my body. I also really like the sound of Cherry brown switches.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:26:21 »

Thanks for the advice, it looks like this particular model is more expensive on Amazon at the moment. Is there anywhere else I should look?

I'm interested in TKL because I like to line up the 'B' key with the center of my body. I also really like the sound of Cherry brown switches.

Oh, you're looking for the brown..

Head up to coolermaster store.. and see if the 30% coupon code still works.

Offline magnetik

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:30:57 »

Just tried it, it expired on the 6th. Darn, that would have been a great price. Newegg it is, I can't wait.  ^-^

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:35:03 »

Just tried it, it expired on the 6th. Darn, that would have been a great price. Newegg it is, I can't wait.  ^-^

Soon you'll be pimpin' on the internet so hard....  :)

Offline magnetik

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:40:57 »
Whoa, the full-size version of this is $59.99 AR Free Shipping right now!

Is it from the same oem? Thoughts on this board?
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:46:37 by magnetik »

Offline bounce

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 22:03:33 »
damn if i had a comparable offer in germany ...

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 22:41:39 »
damn if i had a comparable offer in germany ...

I heard the Ozone Strike is cheap there in Europe.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 23:13:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Good posture when typing suggests that you should have your wrists straight.  Be aware that most mechaniecal keyboards, including the QFR, have a fairly high front (distance from the table to the top of the space bar).  You might consider a wrist rest too.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bounce

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 23:14:03 »
Well i dont know what you would consider cheap but the cheapest offer is 82.51 € ($108.06)
and im not into another mx black keyboard anymore.

Offline Elxx

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 23:30:37 »
I just bought the QuickFire Pro. Brown switches are really nice and the keyboard is extremely solid. Its well worth the $70 (currently on newegg).

Offline magnetik

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 07:23:25 »
I just bought the QuickFire Pro. Brown switches are really nice and the keyboard is extremely solid. Its well worth the $70 (currently on newegg).

Yeah, I went ahead and got that one. $69.99 shipped vs. $87.55 shipped for the Rapid just seems like too good a deal to pass up.