Author Topic: Best 3 gadgets / things you bought for 30-50$ that increased your life quality?  (Read 14040 times)

Offline Beulenyoshi

It's almost that time of the year again where I start my search for inspiration for Christmas gifts. For my family, friends and myself of course ( ;) ). When I buy something I usually do lots of research to get everything right. I know that you guys are probably putting lots of effort and thought in things you buy too. So I thought I might ask you to name the top 3 gadgets / things you bought in a price range from 30-50$ that improved your life a lot. I think I might start this:

1. Heating Blanket: I'm from Germany and it starts getting cold in mid-October... I'm a programmer and sit more than 8 hours a day on my chair. It happens that my feet get cold, so I put this heating blanket beneath my feet. No regrets at all for 20€ spent.

2. Professional and custom fit noise cancellation ear buds: If you're not living alone and / or in a busy neighbourhood with >5 dogs, chicken and children you will love it. I went to a shop which builds hearing aid devices and they created a custom set with -25db for me. If you are a musician you can get real good soundquality ones (like I did), but there are cheaper versions available. 190€ spent, for non-musician set between 50-70ish...

3. Coffee grinder: Improves the taste of your coffee by a huge factor. I combine it with an AeroPress to get a fast and really, really good coffee. (Search Youtube for AeroPress or ask me for more information). Be careful on your choice with the grinder though. If you use a normal kitchen machine you get a really bad blend because the beans are jumping around and you'll have lots of dust which makes the coffee bitter. I recommend the Hario Skerton. It's from Japan and really practical for 15-50g of coffee... If you have to cook coffee for a whole family think about getting an electronic grinding machine.

Edit #1:
I know I'm in a Forum with lots of keyboard ethusiasts, but let us try not to post 3 different kinds of keycaps nor obvious things here. With obvious things I mean, that I take for granted that keyboards, tablets and peripherals have a great value for you and me, but that's what we discuss in all the other threads. So maybe this can be a place where you can tell us about other great stuff that helps you out every day. :)

Edit #2:
The price-range was meant as an orientation. Not strictly given... Of course a 500$ investment improves your life more than a 50$ buy. And most things we buy for 5$ are necessary. That't the reason for the price range. ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 12:17:18 by Beulenyoshi »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Very interesting first post

I'll get back to you once I think of some
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
1. My shelves.  It's nice to have organized places for keyboards, caps and lego.
2. Oscillating fans, it gets warm in TX, I like not being warm.
3. Monitor wall mount.  I like having from elbow forward on my desk and I couldn't without the stand.

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
1. Klhip nail trimmer. I play the violin, so have to constantly trim my nails. (A little outside of the -$50 but...)

2. Squash Air Spencer. I do a lot of driving and would hate to do it in a car that smelled bad.

3. Spotify. Not really a gadget, but I listen to a lot of music and love having whatever I want with me all the time on my phone. ($9.99/mo)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
1. Leatherman - goes wherever I go
2. Body Toolz Double Loop Facial Skin Care Tool - stole it from my ex, but man it does a stellar job of cleaning pores and popping surprise zits
3. Steam - not a gadget, but is really amazing for anyone who plays video games

Offline swagpiratex

1. Spyderco Tenacious

2. Felix Flashlight

3. Logitech G9x / Quickfire Rapid (Tied for Third)
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 22:23:56 by swagpiratex »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Best 3 gadgets / things you bought for 30-50$ that increased your life quality?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 23:16:20 »
Will add more when I think of it, but thermometers for cooking. May not be as expensive, but cooking perfect meat every time is amazing.

Offline bavman

1) scotch

2) mini propane grill for making steak!

3) media remote for PC since mechanical keyboard makers just can't for the life of them make a keyboard with full dedicated media keys that are actually mechanical

Offline dirge

1) Islay Whiskys (bavman, get some Lagavulin bud)

2) PORT DESIGNS Lap Desk

3) Belkin Cushtop
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Lanx

It's almost that time of the year again where I start my search for inspiration for Christmas gifts. For my family, friends and myself of course ( ;) ). When I buy something I usually do lots of research to get everything right. I know that you guys are probably putting lots of effort and thought in things you buy too. So I thought I might ask you to name the top 3 gadgets / things you bought in a price range from 30-50$ that improved your life a lot. I think I might start this:

1. Heating Blanket: I'm from Germany and it starts getting cold in mid-October... I'm a programmer and sit more than 8 hours a day on my chair. It happens that my feet get cold, so I put this heating blanket beneath my feet. No regrets at all for 20€ spent.

2. Professional and custom fit noise cancellation ear buds: If you're not living alone and / or in a busy neighbourhood with >5 dogs, chicken and children you will love it. I went to a shop which builds hearing aid devices and they created a custom set with -25db for me. If you are a musician you can get real good soundquality ones (like I did), but there are cheaper versions available. 190€ spent, for non-musician set between 50-70ish...

3. Coffee grinder: Improves the taste of your coffee by a huge factor. I combine it with an AeroPress to get a fast and really, really good coffee. (Search Youtube for AeroPress or ask me for more information). Be careful on your choice with the grinder though. If you use a normal kitchen machine you get a really bad blend because the beans are jumping around and you'll have lots of dust which makes the coffee bitter. I recommend the Hario Skerton. It's from Japan and really practical for 15-50g of coffee... If you have to cook coffee for a whole family think about getting an electronic grinding machine.

i drink 6 cups of aeropress coffee a day, and OMG we must be on the same wavelengths i just got done looking at the hario, and it does look like the best hand burr grinder, currently i'm using some 100$ burr grinder, i mean i think it's good... but it works well with my routine.

Usually i have my coffee station like this:
take out 2 cups
fill up electric kettle with water (filtered)
measure out 2 servings of beans
grind
take out 6 ice cubes, put in cups (i can't drink super hot)
one spoon of sugar each
2tbls of cream for each
water should be done
(let it cool for 10degrees)
wet the filter for the aeropress (i find that it sticks nicer this way)
press out coffee

honestly how long does it take to hand grind 2 servings of coffee? i got my system down.

Offline Beulenyoshi

i drink 6 cups of aeropress coffee a day, and OMG we must be on the same wavelengths i just got done looking at the hario, and it does look like the best hand burr grinder, currently i'm using some 100$ burr grinder, i mean i think it's good... but it works well with my routine.

Usually i have my coffee station like this:
take out 2 cups
fill up electric kettle with water (filtered)
measure out 2 servings of beans
grind
take out 6 ice cubes, put in cups (i can't drink super hot)
one spoon of sugar each
2tbls of cream for each
water should be done
(let it cool for 10degrees)
wet the filter for the aeropress (i find that it sticks nicer this way)
press out coffee

honestly how long does it take to hand grind 2 servings of coffee? i got my system down.

I bought the AeroPress to reduce my coffee consumption. I've bought a pretty good coffee maker before, but it is only capable of making big pots of coffee (10 cups). Problem was it either gets cold or I drink everything and my stomach can't take it. I drank so much coffee that I had to consult a doctor because of my hurting stomach.

I wanted something to brew small-medium amounts of coffee and got the AeroPress.

I start heating the water and while it's cooking I weigh the beans. I take 18g per AeroPress in a medium grind. I turn the Aeropress around (inverted method), fill in the coffee and then fill the 96 degr. C hot water into the AeroPress (until it reaches the 2). Then I stirr for around 10seconds and fill up the rest. I wait 40 secs. In this time I put the filter into its place, put it on a cup and pour the hot water through it into the cup. The paper taste is washed out, the filter sticks and my mug gets warm. I empty the cup, put the filter on the press and then my coffee is ready :)

Sounds complicated but I get the procedure done in 2 minutes. To grind the beans it takes ~80 rotations for 18 gramms. I counted. ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 07:36:00 by Beulenyoshi »

Offline dirge

Gaggia and Hario slim here, but we're off topic :P start another thread!
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline asura

• not a duck
Sansa Clip + I've never really been into the portable music scene; tape was awful, CDs skipped and most digital players were a poor quality output, coloured the sound, or were horribly expensive.  The clip seems to be fairly audibly transparent, it's battery lasts a good time and has an OK, but EXPANDABLE storage.

Draper SEC33 So it's under budget, but if you don't already have a decent driver then by the time you add that into the mix you're up to touch.  Nothing is safe.

Drawing board Not your standard fare for this sort of thing but my Masters is in architecture so it's right down my street.  Whilst it costs around £1K to get a new one, they are constantly up on ebay for a pittance.  I got lucky and found a double A0 monster (2900mm long!) - like hens teeth they are!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I love my drawing table, too, but I don't think I could get a beast like that into my house!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
There are two kinds of good gifts to give. The first is the kind that will improve the recipients life in some way. The second kind of gift is some luxury item that the recipient would like to have but would not buy for themselves.

1. LastPass Pro Subscription + Yubikey Set
https://store.yubico.com/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=6

LastPass manages all your passwords so that a single master password unlocks them all. Add two YubiKeys and you can impose two factor authentication that fits on a keyring. Give the gift of security! Probably only good for people comfortable with techy stuff.

2. GorillaPod for a camera geek.
http://joby.com/lp/which-gorillapod/index.html?gclid=CImOx6fczrMCFUYw4AodXVQA3Q

They come in a lot of sizes -- think of a robotic squid claw as a camera tripod and you've got the general idea. Another cool gift (untried by me) is getting one of those wiFi memory cards. http://www.eye.fi/products I'm getting this for my brother-in-law who has a new baby and a second on the way. You put the memory card into the camera like any other, but the card will wirelessly send the photos to your computer. So you never have to attach your camera to a computer, or remove the card, ever again. Again, untried, but looks awesome.

3. Shocking Lasertag Guns
http://www.shockingfun.com/Shocking_Laser_Tag_p/lazertag.htm

Got this one last Christmas for my nephews. (I'm the 'crazy' uncle.) This blows your budget by $15 (for a single gun) but it's worth it. I received three of these about two years ago, and before gift wrapping them I just had to try them out to see just how 'shocking' they really were. My arm locked up for a few seconds. It was THAT awesome. Nephews unwrapped them and immediately draped one of the sensors over the youngest nephew (7-years-old). He was delighted, naturally ("My older brothers are including me!") They then made him hold onto the gun's conductive metal handle and promptly 'shot' him. Instant tears, poor kid. Merry Christmas?

So, uh, this is for older kids who can take it. But awesome, awesome toy.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
Lenovo multimedia backlit remote with full keyboard - 38
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
What switches does it use? :P
I'd have to say my most beloved gadget is my power management system that I use for my bedroom electronics (night lamp, phone charging etc) Which, IIRC came from a piece of furniture that my grandfather was going to throw out.

Other than that... herm. I'd say that my HTC Evo 4G running Jelly Bean is pretty high up there, good for just about everything, since I don't use the phone portion of it. Just bought it for the Android and expandable storage. Won't be going back to iOS now!
Third, I'll have to think about.

EDIT!: I have found that it is darn near impossible to go anywhere without my backpack. I use it for everything and was totally lost when I left it locked in a classroom earlier today.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 14:37:32 by SmallFry »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
1, my MacBook pro 13

2, my iPhone 5

3, my MacBook pro 15 or my iPod touch would be third. I can't live without any of these...

Oh, wait 30-50 dollars?

1,  my Apple EarPods with controltalk

2, my lime green iPod Shuffle

3, my bubblegum pink iPod Shuffle

Every needs these things I am not sure how anyone can live without them!
SmallFry! <3

Offline nullstring

....  I don't think there is any gadgets I have that costed $30-$50 that has made any impact on my life.
Anything worth that has made any impact is either less than that or more than that.. HRM

Offline Beulenyoshi

....  I don't think there is any gadgets I have that costed $30-$50 that has made any impact on my life.
Anything worth that has made any impact is either less than that or more than that.. HRM

This wasn't meant to be a "strict" landmark. It was meant to be for orientational purposes only. ;) Feel free to post yours ;)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Hmm... things I've bought that have improved my life?

-Senior Prom tickets (not a gadget, and were more than $50, but the experience was priceless)
-My Motorola Droid 1 (got it for free from my uncle, but it has been such an amazingly useful phone)
-My Lenovo IdeaPad S9 netbook (my brother bought it for $60, and I traded my semi-broken laptop for it. Used that tethered to my phone to get around my highschool's internet censoring)
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Anynoupy

• French Fries
I can't really think of anything in that price range ...

However, I can think of these !

#1 - Nokia BH-905i

God, my first BT Headset was the Philips SH-9000, already a good one, but it was a bit too tight for my head, and I was looking for something better at the time.
The BH-905i has been the best for me for quite a year and a half ! Its Noice Cancellation feature is just awesome :D
I'm back to a wired headset right now, but I think I'll keep it, as it's still a great headset, and the only replacement one I found is too expensive for me right now (350 Euros, ouch !).
It gets the job done perfectly, and it followed me through a lot of phones, even though some phones were not so good with it, and I can get micro-freezes or so.
Overall, one of the best "gadgets" I've ever had ! :D

#2 - "Quick heating" kettle

As a "big" tea drinker, which is in teabags or to put in a teapot directly, it might seem stupid, but having a kettle that heats the water quickly is a good plus ! (Yeah, I'm generally in a hurry, and saving a few minutes is always good for me ;D)
I wish I could get myself one that allows you to decide at which temperature you want the water to be (but it's also too much expensive IMO, almost 80/90 Euros if I recall correctly ...).
It gets the job done, and I know when to stop it to get the temperature I want, so perfect for me :)

#3 - Smartphones in general

Well, I'm a "swapper", so I don't keep a smartphone very long. However, since the first one I got (Nokia 5800), it has served me greatly ! And even though I sometimes go back to a simple dumb-phone, I find myself a little lost, because I use my smartphone on a daily basis for useful things. In addition to listening to music (Spotify there) or surfing the web, I also check my trains timetables in real time (it saved me a lot of time by seeing that I could change trains to go faster where I wanted), take pictures on-the-go instead of getting my bridge camera, take notes / put reminders, have a ton of alarms, etc.
Basically a normal use, but I definitely find it very useful in my everyday life. Although it's clearly not a 30-50$ investment :p

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
1. Metal Gear Solid

Offline nullstring

Things I've learned from this thread: Computer-Lab in Basement is really young.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Some things have been already mentioned, sooo...

Sennheiser HD 202s were a huge step from 10€ headphones, and they served me well for two years (then I managed to damage cable on one can, I'll have to fix it some day).

Standing setup made of LACK tables was a nice idea, it has really helped me.

At last but not least: my collection of backpacks. My favorite ones are Dicota Bacpac Xtreme and Wenger Maxxum (paid less than 30€ for each). Both are very solid (especially the Wenger one), comfortable... and big enough to fit all stuff I carry to school.

Will add more when I think of it, but thermometers for cooking. May not be as expensive, but cooking perfect meat every time is amazing.
I got one from eBay for only $10. It's great for making green tea... more properly?

2. GorillaPod for a camera geek.
http://joby.com/lp/which-gorillapod/index.html?gclid=CImOx6fczrMCFUYw4AodXVQA3Q

They come in a lot of sizes -- think of a robotic squid claw as a camera tripod and you've got the general idea.
This. It's very solid and easy to carry around. I'm too lazy to go hiking with a huge steel tripod, .

Sansa Clip + I've never really been into the portable music scene; tape was awful, CDs skipped and most digital players were a poor quality output, coloured the sound, or were horribly expensive.  The clip seems to be fairly audibly transparent, it's battery lasts a good time and has an OK, but EXPANDABLE storage.
I wish I didn't lose mine only one week after buying it. Treacherous clip...

I gave the older N5901 to my dad. It's awesome for use with a HTPC, and I prefer trackball to the new touch-thing.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Things I've learned from this thread: Computer-Lab in Basement is really young.

18.  Soon to be 19.

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 15:37:02 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Batmann

Interesting thread!

1- my boot dryer - keystone of my snowboarding gear

2 - my Wacom Bamboo - very cool for illustrations an quick drawings

3- my lego Hulk   - didn't change my life but I would be happy if Santa leaves another one for me :)  (movements range is insane, you can put them in very expressive positions)

Hope that helps ^^
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:02:20 by Batmann »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
1, my MacBook pro 13

2, my iPhone 5

3, my MacBook pro 15 or my iPod touch would be third. I can't live without any of these...

Oh, wait 30-50 dollars?

1,  my Apple EarPods with controltalk

2, my lime green iPod Shuffle

3, my bubblegum pink iPod Shuffle

Every needs these things I am not sure how anyone can live without them!
We got a label **** over here.  :rolleyes:

Offline jeroplane

1. Toothbrush
2. Toilet paper
3. Pillow

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
1. Toothbrush
2. Toilet paper
3. Pillow

you buy really ****ing expensive toilet paper

Offline m00nshake

1. Electronic Cigarette

It was slightly more expensive than $50 when I bought my first starter kit, but I haven't smoked a cigarette in almost three years now since switching to electronic cigarettes. I know that inhaling nicotine in vapor form may not be 100% safe, but I know that it's better than smoking. I used to not be able to climb a flight of stairs without feeling winded, and now I run 6-8 miles a day, and I feel much better.

2. Ice grippers

I like running outdoors. There isn't much ice in North Carolina, but it's one of the only weather conditions which keeps me from being able to run. So I googled 'running on ice', and I found out about ice grippers. You strap the Ice grippers to the bottom of your shoes and they enable you to walk and even run on ice without slipping.

3. Pur water filter (faucet fixture)

I've been buying gallon size bottles of generic drinking water for years now. I just recently purchased a Pur water filter and it's really nice. I can't tell the difference between it and the drinking/spring water, so it definitely does a good job now at least. I haven't used it for a very long time but if a single filter lasts for 100 gallons like it is stated to then I can definitely see this being a much more cost effective way to drink clean(er) water.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
LOLOL....

I was sure that at least 1 geekhacker would've posted,

Fleshlight, Lube, and Porn subscription

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
I would have but I felt that it was more important to troll Apple.

Speaking of...

My Apple certified wall plug with the apple logo on it so it must be better than anyother wall plug out there.

My Apple certified usb charger, the 7 inch one

And how could I charge my new Apple products without the lightning adapter? Yes, I know it is 5 dollars under the limit but it hasto be worth way more than that!
SmallFry! <3

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Actually, there is differences in wall plugs. Apple wall plugs aren't the best, but they are indeed higher than the ones from DX.

Offline bavman

LOLOL....

Porn subscription ain't even worth it. So much free porn on the internet.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
LOLOL....

All about that HQ ****.

But really so many porn sites have viruses. I wouldn't touch them.
SmallFry! <3

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
^ geeks use VMs, it's like a digital condom.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
That's soooo funny! Digital condom! Lulz!

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
1. Electronic Cigarette

It was slightly more expensive than $50 when I bought my first starter kit, but I haven't smoked a cigarette in almost three years now since switching to electronic cigarettes. I know that inhaling nicotine in vapor form may not be 100% safe, but I know that it's better than smoking. I used to not be able to climb a flight of stairs without feeling winded, and now I run 6-8 miles a day, and I feel much better.

2. Ice grippers

I like running outdoors. There isn't much ice in North Carolina, but it's one of the only weather conditions which keeps me from being able to run. So I googled 'running on ice', and I found out about ice grippers. You strap the Ice grippers to the bottom of your shoes and they enable you to walk and even run on ice without slipping.

3. Pur water filter (faucet fixture)

I've been buying gallon size bottles of generic drinking water for years now. I just recently purchased a Pur water filter and it's really nice. I can't tell the difference between it and the drinking/spring water, so it definitely does a good job now at least. I haven't used it for a very long time but if a single filter lasts for 100 gallons like it is stated to then I can definitely see this being a much more cost effective way to drink clean(er) water.

Those are some great and useful devices! Great work and congrats!

Spring water isnt really spring water btw ppl. If it says spring water on the back, it never said it is 100%. Much like how somethi ng that  has whole grain wheat isnt 100 percent whole grain.
SmallFry! <3

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Actually, there is differences in wall plugs. Apple wall plugs aren't the best, but they are indeed higher than the ones from DX.
Really? iPhone charger disassembled... same pooy stuff as on DX.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
The Plastic shines better!
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Lol if your looking for a good charger pick up the nugiant surge protection one off newegg.

Another great item that i carry arounf with me at all times is a gerber pocket knife that take utility knife blades, very small and very handy.

A bit over budget but my favorite sidearm is my my Pen Type A.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 03:51:53 by TheProfosist »

Offline Beulenyoshi

Back to topic?  ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
LOLOL....

All about that HQ ****.

Where've you been there are "trusted" porn sites. They all have reviews and stuff that you can look up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
LOLOL....

HD pr0n is definitely worth it....

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
LOLOL....

All about that HQ ****.

Where've you been there are "trusted" porn sites. They all have reviews and stuff that you can look up.

True.....

But, the review sites themselves can not be trusted!
SmallFry! <3

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
Back on topic!

I know you don't want the replies to be about electronics, but I'd really have to say these are some of the best purchases I've ever made:
Razer Deathadder Black - $55
Custom wooden wrist rest - $70

Really these have immensely improved my day-to-day life. I can't imagine typing without my wrist rest.

Offline NKRO

I have spent a few days thinking about this now, and I am finding it difficult to come up with things under $50 or so that I would say genuinely improved my life quality. In fact, I don't know if there are many purchases I would say that about at all, but I suppose it depends how you define something "changing your life".

I do tend to save up (never buy on credit) and try to buy "the best" if it's not something I actually need right away, so that it's the last one of X that I am ever going to need to buy for the rest of my life - or at least as long as it's possible to reasonably expect something to last. Unless something untoward happens, I would expect my HHKB to last more than just a couple of years, for example.

This often (mistakenly) gives people the impression that I am loaded, but it's just that I don't tolerate crap, and have the patience to make do with what I already have, or go without something, until I can afford it. I put a lot of time into researching my purchases so that I don't rush into anything, and know what I should expect from them.

I've probably spent a couple of years lurking around keyboard forums before finally deciding on, having the money set aside for, and purchasing my HHKB2 Type-S for example.
What I often see on enthusiast forums (headphones, AV equipment, keyboards, computers etc.) is people that just slowly work their way up the ladder, buying something cheap and low-end to begin with, then gradually making more purchases in a never-ending upgrade cycle. Instead of buying a lot of things which I don't really want, I'd rather wait and save up to buy the best - or at least the best that I can afford, or the product which best suits my needs (the best is not necessarily the most expensive) and something which I expect to last me a reasonable length of time, rather than buying whatever the latest overhyped product is because it's new and shiny.

Something where my purchase is outside the budget, but you can find items within that budget, was the switch to a DE Safety Razor.

I have always hated shaving because I have very sensitive skin that would have razer burn or flare up after shaving no matter what. I have tried the most expensive electric shavers (irritates my skin, doesn't give good results) all kinds of other razors (with an increasing number of blades) all kinds of anti-irritation shaving foam, gel, aftershave etc.

Switching to a DE Safety Razor with Feather blades (which are by far the sharpest) means that I can get a really close shave in a single pass, and using traditional shaving cream lathered with a brush instead of that gunk from a can, leaves me with no razor burn and little to no irritation. Replacement blades are also extremely cheap compared to Gillettes etc. even the generic brand, especially if you buy in bulk. For shaving cream, I like Truefitt & Hill which is somewhat expensive but if you're using a brush to build up lather, a tub should probably last you a long time (you need a lot less than you might think) and it has been the least irritating cream I have tried so far. This is not for anyone who is always in a rush out the door in the mornings though, I get up earlier to give myself an extra 10 minutes to take it slow (wrap a warm towel on your face for a couple of minutes before the shave like you would have done at a traditional barber's etc.) and it's made shaving something I look forward to now, rather than a chore.

And I don't know that I would say it improved my quality of life, but a Leatherman is always handy to have around. I keep a Squirt S4 on my keyring, and end up using it all the time. The S4 is particularly useful, because you actually get a decent pair of sprung scissors unlike most multitools, which just have a crap pair of folding scissors. (even the scissors on my full-size Leatherman are much worse in comparison) It does mean that you do without pliers though, but none of the other small tools have a needlenose option, and I don't find regular pliers that small to be much use in my experience. I think the closest alternative is the Style CS, but it's a longer tool and I think it's also missing some of the features of the Squirt.

Really? iPhone charger disassembled... same pooy stuff as on DX.
Hm, contradicting evidence: http://www.arcfn.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

Offline Grimey

1. De-solder pump.  Has made my hobby much more satisfying.

2. Wool socks.  They are costly but the return has been much appreciated in my life.  I am slowly changing my wardrobe to be more wool based, and it all started with socks.

3. Run of the mill coffee maker.  I had tried to get into fancier coffee over the years, grinding and french pressing, but it just takes too much time.  Buying decent stuff once a week and grinding it at the store and made my mornings much more enjoyable.
Erlang your pants off

Offline phx

maybe not gadgets but...

1. memory foam mattress topper. used it all 4 years in college, made sleeping so much more relaxing.
2. office chair. cuz screw the wooden chairs they provide.
3. a good pair of ear buds.