Author Topic: Cute Tiny Computers  (Read 2323 times)

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Cute Tiny Computers
« on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 12:43:01 »
A few years back, the local London Drugs was selling (for about $3,000) a SONY UX micro PC. I dismissed that as both overly expensive and impractical.

But more recently, in the local public library, which is also a free WiFi hotspot, I saw a young woman of Korean extraction using an (early) Everun Note. At the time, I was astonished at the compactness of the item. There are other UMPCs, but they're not normally sold in North America; there's IBM's PC 110, and there are the machines by Kohjinsha (actually by Inventec, and I see they're going to sell them under the Onkyo brand in future...).

The trouble, of course, is that in the North American market, people value computers for their power and features - and are not prepared to pay a high premium for portability.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Cute Tiny Computers
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 16:31:41 »
A few years back, the local London Drugs was selling (for about $3,000) a SONY UX micro PC. I dismissed that as both overly expensive and impractical.

But more recently, in the local public library, which is also a free WiFi hotspot, I saw a young woman of Korean extraction using an (early) Everun Note. At the time, I was astonished at the compactness of the item. There are other UMPCs, but they're not normally sold in North America; there's IBM's PC 110, and there are the machines by Kohjinsha (actually by Inventec, and I see they're going to sell them under the Onkyo brand in future...).

The trouble, of course, is that in the North American market, people value computers for their power and features - and are not prepared to pay a high premium for portability.

Um.... Get an ipad mini.. ;D

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 16:43:40 »
There was the OQO 2.  I actualy wanted one (still kinda do.)  It has a 5" screen, x86 processor.  It was pretty much a laptop PC shrunk to smartphone size.  The keyboard is horible by GH standards, but other than thar they are great.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 16:57:21 »
Um.... Get an ipad mini.. ;D
Even an Android tablet doesn't compare, for power, versatility, and flexibility, to a real PC. Even one with just Linux, like the first ASUS Eee... probably named after the sound the average consumer would make after discovering it didn't have Microsoft Windows on it.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 16:59:35 »
There's this, but you need to do quite a bit of hacking to get it fully operational.  There's a pretty good thread on it here.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline bavman

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 17:41:38 »
What about the surface pro when it comes out next month or so? Its basically a laptop (i5 processor, windows 8 (Not RT), ssd, keyboard...etc etc). Its also really decently priced at $900 (actually 1k if you want the keyboard too)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 18:04:46 »
What about the surface pro when it comes out next month or so? Its basically a laptop (i5 processor, windows 8 (Not RT), ssd, keyboard...etc etc). Its also really decently priced at $900 (actually 1k if you want the keyboard too)

If this is what you're considering I highly recommend taking a look at the Lenovo Yoga 13.  Tablet and Ultrabook in one, but has the keyboard built in, and it's already out.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 21:55:40 »
There's this, but you need to do quite a bit of hacking to get it fully operational.
Yes, but that's a desktop, even if it's compact. No batteries, so it isn't something you can use anywhere.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 22:54:12 »
I'm waiting for someone to sell a boxed kit to convert a Raspberry Pi to a free-standing laptop.  I know some people have worked them in conjunction with a wad of cables and a Motorola Lapdock, but I think it's a little rough in terms of the ultimate goal of being a ready-to-go replacement for an Acorn A4.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 13:12:40 »
OpenPandora, Sharp NetWalker,...?