Author Topic: Microsoft Surface Pro  (Read 17200 times)

Offline S2000Gan

Re: Microsoft Surface Pro
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 05:56:13 »
I havent used the pro yet, but I used the RT and while its a little too simple for me needs it is an AMAZING computer for average people. And based on what ive read of the Pro and the spec list I imagine it would be amazing too. A full power laptop in a Tablet. Although personally im more interested in the Asus TX300 Transformer book.

Offline ducatisteve

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 14:12:38 »
I think that Microsoft has their head on their shoulders for this device.  They aren't trying to sweep any type of category with blockbuster sales.  Ballmer has said that they know it's not going to be a high volume seller, with their goals being a fraction of a percent of the Windows 8 market.  But even at those numbers they know that surface is actually a real business, not just a proof of concept.

I have been highly impressed with the Surface R/T and the Pro, but neither are for me at this time.  If they make a Pro with 6+ hour battery life and 4G connectivity for the same price....then we'll talk.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 14:21:23 »
**** the Surface pro, I've just bought the Lenovo 13.3 Yoga and it is amazing!   

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 15:57:32 »
**** the Surface pro, I've just bought the Lenovo 13.3 Yoga and it is amazing!
The Yoga doesn have a 1080 screen And because the keyboard is built in, Thicker.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:02:51 »
The pro just makes no sense though, too heavy as a pure tablet, doesn't work as an ultrabook and has awful battery life.

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:33:27 »
Well im looking to get a UX31A Touch or TX300 and Im leaning towards the TX300 due to the External Battery/Hard Drive keyboard base.
The 500GB drive will be nice to make up for that SSDs while really fast just dont have much storage
The External Battery + the Built in Batter actually gives you more battery life than the UX31A
Being able to detach the keyboard base and use it as a tablet doesnt sound too bad
The only Advantage the UX31A has is that it is VERY Thin and light.
But the TX300 isnt that heavy or thick either.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 16:49:11 »
The Apple fanboyz over at tomshardware have posted about 5 articles in the past couple of months about how the exact same breakdown and repair site has listed the Pro as a 1/10 or "pretty frickin' hard to repair, y'know?"

It seems like everybody just WANTS the surface and Win8 to be a flop, I wonder why? Maybe it's fun to watch the big guy fall on his ass every now and again? It HAS been a while since Vista.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 01:34:01 »
Necroing the crap out of this, but I just got one of these with a Type cover about 2 weeks ago, and I gotta say, even with the crappy battery life this thing wrongs. The flexibility with multiple inputs (physical keyboard, onscreen keyboard, pen, touch, and trackpad) is just friggin cool. The Type cover is easily the best scissor switch board I've used, and the fact that it's a full Windows 8 machine that I can do development on is just icing on the cake.

There's probably better laptops out there, but so far I'm a huge fan. The next rev with Haswell is just gonna be fantastic.

Offline Topre

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 01:49:10 »
Update the firmware and drivers, if you didn't already. I think there was a recent update that increased battery life. I got my Surface Pro since the release date, and battery life was 5 to 7 hours while using it at school. Now I'm getting 7 to 9 hours without a problem.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 01:58:45 »
I've had an RT for almost a year. The main disadvantage as far as I'm concerned is the lack of apps in the app store compared to iOS, but with a Surface Pro you can just run anything that runs under windows.

My favorite things about the RT is that the USB port means you can hook up an external keyboard. Try that with an iPad! Combine that with the built-in stand and you get a very nice seated casual computing experience. I sometimes do this when I'm downstairs in the morning having breakfast or coffee and don't want to do upstairs and sit at my full desktop.

The pro just gives you all that, plus you can also basically use it as a desktop too.

The flat rubbery keyboard thing is garbage. It's so awful I prefer the on-screen keyboard to it. The "mechanical" keyboard cover feels pretty nice too, and will do for typing on the go. But as I say, nothing beats being able to plug in a Filco. :)

Also, Windows 8 (RT, the phone, and the desktop) have really beautiful UI. I think they've far surpassed Apple in this regard.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 06:48:50 »
I HATE EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER OR TECHNOLOGY RELATED ITEM WITH "PRO" ON THE END.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 09:54:10 »

Update the firmware and drivers, if you didn't already. I think there was a recent update that increased battery life. I got my Surface Pro since the release date, and battery life was 5 to 7 hours while using it at school. Now I'm getting 7 to 9 hours without a problem.

This isn't something that you do via Windows Update, is it?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 19:17:43 »

I know, right?

"Let's stick a 'pro' on the end of our product name! That way, the only people who will buy it will be deep-pocketed consumers who want to feel like they're getting work done while playing Angry Birds!"
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Topre

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 19:33:26 »

This isn't something that you do via Windows Update, is it?

Actually, it is done with Windows Update. I believe the update is called System Firmware Update. The hours I used it for was with light usage, light internet browsing, compiling simple programs, OneNote, other office applications, etc.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 21:36:11 »

I know, right?

"Let's stick a 'pro' on the end of our product name! That way, the only people who will buy it will be deep-pocketed consumers who want to feel like they're getting work done while playing Angry Birds!"

I prefer  xxxxtxragehdgtxhydrocopperkrxtremeblack edition

That let's you know it means business...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 23:16:57 »
If you do development with Visual Studio, the Surface Pro is perfectly fine for doing development work.

Offline tbc

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 23:40:45 »
that USB port on the surface pro is a thing of beauty.  I plugged in my g930 into it and it actually worked...very happy surprise since I can use my wireless headset with something that generates no noise
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 00:02:41 »
I have the Surface RT. No complaints here aside from the fact that I'm not able to install 3rd-party software that isn't approved by Microsoft. For the meantime, I don't mind it. I only use the Surface RT to take notes in class and read related coursework. Later down the line, I may end up installing a bootleg version of Win8.

Also, the 'Type' keyboard cover feels really nice -- better than most laptop keyboards.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 00:13:31 »
You cannot install normal windows 8 on a surface RT. It's an ARM device and only Windows RT will run on it.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 00:18:13 »
You cannot install normal windows 8 on a surface RT. It's an ARM device and only Windows RT will run on it.

I see. Well, it looks like a jailbreak exists for the current RT, so that will have to do.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 00:53:46 »
I see. Well, it looks like a jailbreak exists for the current RT, so that will have to do.
:eek:  If I could install a decent Linux distribution for Arm on it, that would be awesome. So far, I have heard that it isn't possible.
Edit: Apparently, Jailbreaks will only allow you to install unsigned Windows RT apps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 01:17:29 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 03:15:42 »

Doesn't Windows 8 came installed on Windows RT?

I've been considering a tablet for my ergo travel keyboard and have considered many of the available choices out there. If the iPad were usb compatible it would be a strong contender because I like the 4/3 aspect and I use a Mac for most of my needs. Unfortunately my keyboard's usb need prevents that option.

It seems that tablets fall into two categories, both with their advantages and disadvantages. In one camp is the full powered, often larger screened, laptop replacement which would be perfect if not for the added weight, extra heat generation and limited battery life. It appears that the Surface Pro is about as good as any in that category. The second camp emphasizes light weight, good battery life and easy handling at the expense of limited power and function. The Surface RT seems as good a value as any in this category. Of course these are observations based on others reviews and not personal experience.

I already have a large powerful laptop that I could use my keyboard with for occasional power needs, although it will be pretty bulky. Because of that I'm leaning toward the less expensive, cooler, more portable, power frugal option. Because its main use would be for word processing and internet surfing, I think the RT might be a good match. Besides, there are plenty of bargains out there, "For sale, Surface RT, used 1 hour, great product but not what I need - $200".

Offline Larken

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 03:31:36 »

Doesn't Windows 8 came installed on Windows RT?

I've been considering a tablet for my ergo travel keyboard and have considered many of the available choices out there. If the iPad were usb compatible it would be a strong contender because I like the 4/3 aspect and I use a Mac for most of my needs. Unfortunately my keyboard's usb need prevents that option.

It seems that tablets fall into two categories, both with their advantages and disadvantages. In one camp is the full powered, often larger screened, laptop replacement which would be perfect if not for the added weight, extra heat generation and limited battery life. It appears that the Surface Pro is about as good as any in that category. The second camp emphasizes light weight, good battery life and easy handling at the expense of limited power and function. The Surface RT seems as good a value as any in this category. Of course these are observations based on others reviews and not personal experience.

I already have a large powerful laptop that I could use my keyboard with for occasional power needs, although it will be pretty bulky. Because of that I'm leaning toward the less expensive, cooler, more portable, power frugal option. Because its main use would be for word processing and internet surfing, I think the RT might be a good match. Besides, there are plenty of bargains out there, "For sale, Surface RT, used 1 hour, great product but not what I need - $200".

windows RT is a variant of windows 8 that is limited to the apps available from the microsoft app store. This means that usual programs that you can install on a full-fledged regular windows cannot be installed on the Surface RT. Think of it as how the apple app store works for the ipad, and you've got the general idea. Or to make it clearer, if you have an installation disc for say, office 2013, it would not be allowed to be installed into windows RT.

on the other hand, the Surface RT is perfect for simply light surfing and word processing. I believe that a copy of office is embedded into each RT release too, which is great. It's only when you actually need it to behave like a proper laptop replacement that you might find it falling short. and wow, 200 bucks seems like a nice deal.

on another note - there is always the option of getting an OTG cable for your ipad to provide the usb connection. I've tried the ergodox on android device using OTG cables with success, but haven't personally tried it with apple products, though it should work.

example: http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=2626

Do note that using such devices with tablets do drain the battery quite a bit faster (esp. when your ergoboard's going to draw power for both the mouse and the keyboard).

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 03:34:38 by Larken »
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline AndyCapets

• I have a French ANSI keyboard, kiss me now.
    • YouTube!
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:13:44 »
Had the chance to try one out last week in a store here in France, and I have to say, it's nice, but come on, the screen resolution is to big IMO, when on the desktop at least, on the start screen it's fine, but on the desktop you have to be glued to the screen to see something since it's so small, I am pretty disappointed. Also dat price...
I don't I like broccoli.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 08:05:05 »
I had read somewhere that the iPad input jack wouldn't power a keyboard. I wonder if that connecter will only work if the keyboard is self powered.

Offline Larken

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 08:32:06 »
you're probably right; I don't own a ipad. a quick search turned this up https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3582671?start=0&tstart=0

I have a feeling that you would be able to use the keyboard with such a kit, though it's probably a bad idea; as it was probably never meant to be used that way. the ergodox does draw quite a bit of power from what I see while using my android tablet with it, and I'm high certainly if connecting two devices to an ipad via the ccc kit through a unpowered hub would be a good idea.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:18:25 »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:35:51 »
Surface RT has an ARM processor (like an iPad) and so can only run Windows 8 ARM software. This means most of the non-desktop apps in the built-in store and not much else.

Surface Pro has an Intel Core i5. It is in every way a full PC - you can even run other OS's on it or virtual machines using Hyper-V or VMware. Only real limitation is only 4GB RAM.

Both come with SSDs, magnesium case, built in stand and can snap-in a pretty good chiclet keyboard (Type cover)

[)amien

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 15:35:43 »
Surface Pro 2's coming out the end of this month (damnit, why'd I buy one already)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 17:00:24 »
Surface Pro 2's coming out the end of this month (damnit, why'd I buy one already)

Yeah, they have announced a docking station for it too (with monitor, speakers, USB, etc., hookups). This will make an excellent replacement for my Thinkpad, which is coming to the end of its life, I think. The last one wouldn't have worked for me because ever time I would have taken it home, I would to have had to manually reconnect all my cables to use it as a desktop with an external monitor. A dock truly makes it a viable computer for me for the first time, so I think I might give it a go.

Offline Topre

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 23:29:48 »

Yeah, they have announced a docking station for it too (with monitor, speakers, USB, etc., hookups). This will make an excellent replacement for my Thinkpad, which is coming to the end of its life, I think. The last one wouldn't have worked for me because ever time I would have taken it home, I would to have had to manually reconnect all my cables to use it as a desktop with an external monitor. A dock truly makes it a viable computer for me for the first time, so I think I might give it a go.

The docking station works with the Surface Pro as well. It also most likely does not come for free with the Surface Pro 2. You could have also just purchased a USB docking station, which will allow you to connect everything with just one USB cable.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 16:59:44 »
Wow, it's time for a surface pro 2 already! I love my surface for what I use it for, but it will be pretty exciting to see what MS has in store for the new version. I won't be upgrading, but I do hope the surface pro 2 will improve upon the 1's weakpoints.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline concept73

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 04:11:54 »
I love the concept of it! and if i needed a tablet/laptop id get one!
Poker 2 with reds
Soon to be a JD40 with reds