Author Topic: Question about Painkillers  (Read 5218 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Question about Painkillers
« on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 05:43:18 »
So, My bottom right wisdom-tooth is coming in, it hurts..  >:D

Took some Ibuprofen "advil"... it works, but the issue is, this stuff is a vasoconstrictor..

my hands become extra cold, as I have chronic low blood pressure due to my sedentary lifestyle..

the ibuprofen stuff worsens my cold hands.

Finally, the question is...

Is there an OTC painkiller as good as Ibuprofen that "doesn't " vasoconstrict ?  :cool:

Offline engicoder

Re: Question about Painkillers
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 08:48:47 »
There are really only three common classes of painkillers right now

1. NSAIDs - Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs  (Ibuprofen, Vioxx, Aleve, etc)
2. Opioids - Hydrocodone, Morphine, Fentanyl, etc
3. Tylenol - acetaminophen

Opioids are vasodilators...but are controlled substances (need an Rx)
Tylenol doesn't have much affect on vascular system, but you don't want to take it on a regular basis (too much is liver toxic)

The non drug therapy for tooth pain is to apply warm heat.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2013, 08:51:10 by engicoder »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 08:55:12 »
There's also http://www.orajel.com/ which is basically a local anesthetic.  Long time since I used the stuff (or other brands) so no recollection on how long it lasts.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 09:20:02 »
Ora-gel is good, and brushing with "Sensodyne" type toothpastes is surprisingly more effective than you might think.

The opioid painkillers really do the trick, they are amazing. The problem with tooth pain is that you can't "get any distance" from it. Addiction is not a problem if you take them when you need them, and don't when you don't.

I recommend Naproxyn, it is more effective for me than Ibuprofen, and lasts longer. You can also alternate it with Acetaminophen, but remember never mix Ibuprofen and Aspirin.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 09:31:44 »
I was gonna suggest Acetaminophen. I believe that's why they usually mix acetaminophen with opiates and not ibuprofen, for the reason OP noted if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 09:44:03 »
You can sometimes find painkillers that combine Paracetamol (acetaminophen) with Codeine (ophoid), but I am not sure that they can be acquired OTC.
Caffeine is known to increase the effect of Paracetamol.

Avoid any NSAID if you have any problems with stomach acid, such as acid reflux ("heartburn") or stomach pains (right under lowermost rib on left or right side). NSAIDs are known to increase acid output in your stomach.

You could also try to find things to spend your attention on, so that you don't have to mind the pain so much. I am not thinking only of exercise, but more about getting involved in some kind of project. Run errands, visit the library (even if just to read magazines), get a keyboard kit and build it, etc.

By the way, if you smoke, then you should know that Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor.
🍉

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 10:52:35 »
I suggest to get some clove oil and soak gauze in it and stick it where the tooth is coming in. It's a natural numbing agent and also has some pain releif. If you don't have any whole foods type places in your area that are likely to stock it and can't find it then I would go with some benzocaine.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2013, 10:54:14 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 17:41:47 »
Hey guys, Thanks for all the great responses so far..

The pain is pretty unbearable and my exams got moved up.

Which is why I'm taking chances with medication of which I KNOW is terribly un-healthy.

Findecandor:

I have no bodily ailments aside from chronic cold hands ..   :)

IvanIvanovich:

I like the clove oil idea, but to what degree does this work for "extreme" pain..

For example I'm taking low dose 200mg of ibuprofen per 3.5 hours, and it only takes the "edge" off... Still quite painful..

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 17:46:47 »
Hey guys, Thanks for all the great responses so far..

The pain is pretty unbearable and my exams got moved up.

Which is why I'm taking chances with medication of which I KNOW is terribly un-healthy.

Findecandor:

I have no bodily ailments aside from chronic cold hands ..   :)

IvanIvanovich:

I like the clove oil idea, but to what degree does this work for "extreme" pain..

For example I'm taking low dose 200mg of ibuprofen per 3.5 hours, and it only takes the "edge" off... Still quite painful..

I hope all goes well for you, sorry I can't help with the pain things but...
Cold Hands?
USB GLOVES!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 17:48:57 »
i got prescribed 800mg of ibuprophen when my wisdom teeth got taken out, i asked the dentist about it, he said oh it's just a supersized advil. don't know if taking "more" will help, probably not advised.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 17:53:12 »
i got prescribed 800mg of ibuprophen when my wisdom teeth got taken out, i asked the dentist about it, he said oh it's just a supersized advil. don't know if taking "more" will help, probably not advised.

Hey Lanx... thx for the input... I'm reading that ibuprofen causes liver damage in "long-term" use..

How long of a span is "long-term" on these pills exactly..

I don't think I'll need more than 2 weeks of this...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 18:11:39 »
Well it more numbs the nerves and tissue instead of masking the pain receptor, kind of like topical novacaine, so really it is more effective in my opinion. Though still there may be some pain especially if you have a low tolerance anyway it might not seem to help a whole bunch. I used it when I had my wisdoms took out (all at once), so I am not sure which is more painful.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2013, 18:13:31 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 18:30:53 »
i don't know about long term, i took 200mg a day of ibuprofen for a year, i had "coffee withdrawl" headaches, i got off coffee for 3 years, and just too 200mg of ibuprofen or i felt like my head would explode everyday. Of course i fixed that by, starting to drink coffee again, ha, i don't seem to have liver issues, but i don't abuse my body either, i'm at 10% over my ideal bmi, don't drink smoke, so my liver is probably healthier than 90% of a lot of ppls.

i read about that ibuprofen test, it was done on nurses, and it was on overdosing amounts, it didn't really scare me, any drug that get's used too much destroys something.

oh and to clarify, my wisdom teeth didn't hurt, my dentist just recommend i remove them since i was getting older (nearing 30 at the time) and he said the longer i wait in years, the longer it takes to heal, two were impacted. After that, i had the holes in my jaw, but i didn't have pain really, i think i took the big pill once (the voluntary one, there was like 2 days where i had to take em, i think for inflammatory reasons).

i think the pain pill to worry about is aspirin, that one actually has a huge warning on the bottle.

oh and try out acetaminaphen vs. ibuprophen, acetaminaphen does nothing for me, absolutely nothing, however ibuprofhen does, at times i'm over a friends place and i ask for ibuprofen and they bring down tylenol, i tell them the difference, i know they don't know, but after that, later on they either say, i tried ibuprofen and it works better than tylenol, or no change at all really. (the wife carries a tiny dispenser of pills in her purse now, i really wish men could carry murses without look silly tho)

what's aspirin made of, and why is it so bad? someone here should know.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 18:46:51 »
For a possible sprained wrist that I didn't complain about resulting from a traffic incident I was told to take 1.4g of Ibuprofen 4 times daily for 2 weeks.  Never took them since I had no pain.

When I went in to the dental surgeon for mind numbing pain (3 impacted wisdom teeth) I got antibiotics for the infection and no pain killers.

I still have all my wisdom teeth and am around 15yrs since that nasty infection without incident.

As for 'what is aspirin' a huge variety of medicines are an acid compound because acids are an excellent delivery mechanism for our body chemistry.  edit: Just looked up both aspirin and ibuprofen and they are fairly simple acids, nothing more.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2013, 18:51:23 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 21:04:36 »
A big bag of weed?

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:28:50 »
The only thing besides a trip to the dentist for that would be some dope. And I don't advise the latter - it tends to develop dependencies. Although I'm currently prescribed codeine / acetaminophen for my sinusitis.(the codeine doesn't really do much for the head, but makes you care less, and not wanna scream.)
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 23:37:42 »
800mg of Motrin/Ibuprofin is is just prescription strength Motrin, I wouldn't go over it without a doctor. Even 800 is a bit much, but when you need it, you need it. 400 shouldn't be an issue at all. As mentioned, just don't go crazy with it for long periods. Also, typically, you will know if you overdose as well, because it will simply amplify the pain.

Tylenol is fine, however the actual amount of pain relief depends on who you ask, some tests have shown it was barely a sugar pill. Also, don't give it to kids. They used to give it to kids like candy, and they now suspect it is what's behind the increase in asthma.

Considering the low blood pressure, why not plain old aspirin. It's a blood thinner, but if I remember correctly it's hard on your kidneys. Considering they give it to old folks like candy, so long as you don't take a whole bottle, it's plenty safe.

Oh, and cloves work wonders for teeth. Seriously, awesome stuff.
Another thing that works.. Whiskey applied directly to the teeth, they used to do this to babies.  Probably not great for babies, but fine for adults.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 00:36:02 »
So, My bottom right wisdom-tooth is coming in, it hurts..  >:D

Took some Ibuprofen "advil"... it works, but the issue is, this stuff is a vasoconstrictor..

my hands become extra cold, as I have chronic low blood pressure due to my sedentary lifestyle..

the ibuprofen stuff worsens my cold hands.

Finally, the question is...

Is there an OTC painkiller as good as Ibuprofen that "doesn't " vasoconstrict ?  :cool:
For me, absolutely not any OTC painkiller as good as Ibuprofen for toothaches.

Ibuprofen is the "best" OTC painkiller for toothaches! (for me and a lot of other ppl I talked to).

But please do not EVER EVER EVER take Ibuprofen on an empty stomach!

Every time you take Ibuprofen or Aspirin you damage your stomach.  If you take them enough you WILL have a hole in your stomach and your life will suck from then on.

You can get away with more Ibuprofen for longer if you make sure to always eat real solid food with it.  Drinking a glass of milk does not seem to count for some reason.

In my experience Aspirin works on toothache pain but you have to take double or triple the legal OTC dose (IOW u have to take a regular prescription size dose).  For me, Aspirin makes me hot.  So it might work better for you.  Make sure to eat food before you take your aspirin or u will get a hole in your stomach.

I don't have any chronic low blood pressure like you.  Mine is pretty normal 120/80 at the docs or 110/70 if I am really relaxed.  But if I just walked 2 miles to the docs then it will be like 135/90.

Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 00:37:43 »
The non drug therapy for tooth pain is to apply warm heat.
I don't know whether to laff or cry at this advice.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 00:42:32 »
There's also http://www.orajel.com/ which is basically a local anesthetic.  Long time since I used the stuff (or other brands) so no recollection on how long it lasts.
I Forgot about that!

I tried it many times but I like Walgreens Oral Analgesic (20% Benzocaine) better.    This stuff is nice and does not burn a hole in your stomach.  If you can get away with just this then do that.  Else back it up with Aspirin/Ibuprofen/Aleve/ whatever.   Benzocaine + an NSAID should fix you up.  :cool:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 00:46:28 »
Ibuprofen is the "best" OTC painkiller for toothaches! (for me and a lot of other ppl I talked to).

It does work well, but what I have found is if the pain gets away from you, it may not be enough to get it back under control. Once under control again, it works wonders. In other words, keep up the meds or you maybe sorry. If it gets bad, cloves, alcohol or Oragel, etc.. is often needed for me to wrangle it before Motrin works again. I have a root canal that hits a sinus and the first cold snap of the year, I'm always in pain.

Forgot to mention this, but Motrin has also been linked to hearing loss, and it doesn't take much apparently (almost all have, and they tend to disproportionally effect women, but do effect men too).

I will second the empty stomach though, don't do it, and not just Motrin, almost any pain killer should be taken with something.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 00:53:31 »
...brushing with "Sensodyne" type toothpastes is surprisingly more effective than you might think.
I have this weird obsession with Pepsodent Toothpaste.  It is the only kind I will use.  All others I tried sux and hurts my gums.  I wonder why?

The opioid painkillers really do the trick, they are amazing.
That seems to be true for most ppl.

But for me, Hydrocodone and Tramadol make my tooth pain terribly worse.
It sucks the moisture out of my gums which makes the nerves hurt worse.

The problem with tooth pain is that you can't "get any distance" from it.
For me the problem is that it is horrifically suicidally insanely unbearable.  Crikey!  Luckily my doc stocked me up on Lidocaine to keep me alive.

I recommend Naproxyn,
Every time I tried it, I got sick.  I guess because I already had an ulcer from taking too much Ibuprofen and Aspirin for too long.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 01:04:06 »
Another thing that works.. Whiskey applied directly to the teeth, they used to do this to babies.  Probably not great for babies, but fine for adults.
Back when I was doing research into ways of reducing pain, one of the things I read in some medical book was "Applying alcohol directly to a nerve will numb it."  I was like ALLRIGHT!  Now I have a way to fix my pain!  Sadly it absolutely never worked for me at all.

Maybe I tried the wrong alcohol?  I can't remember everything I tried but I know for sure I tried some Rum.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 01:15:27 »

It does work well, but what I have found is if the pain gets away from you, it may not be enough to get it back under control. Once under control again, it works wonders. In other words, keep up the meds or you maybe sorry.
I agree.  When you first get a toothache you need to ***** slap that pain senseless.  Hit it with painkillerz HARD.  Its very unhealthy for your body to be dragging along in pain for 3 weeks.  So long as the pain continues you are suffering inflammation.  If you have inflammation continuously for days at a time your body begins to destroy itself.  Its just terribly unhealthy.

My mom used to take 800mg of Ibuprofen any time she wanted and never had any ill effects.  Its a pretty standard prescription for ppl who have any kind of pain.

If it gets bad, cloves, alcohol or Oragel, etc.. is often needed for me to wrangle it before Motrin works again. I have a root canal that hits a sinus and the first cold snap of the year, I'm always in pain.
I will try to remember to tell my bro about the Cloves trick next time.

My bro will luv it when I tell him you recommended Whiskey.  :))

He asked me for toothache pain advice a while back.  And there were all these things he could have tried but instead he ran to the dentist and got an instant Hydrocodone scrip.   He said taking half of one cured his toothache pain for quite a length of time.  He responds to Hydrocodone completely differently from me.

I will second the empty stomach though, don't do it, and not just Motrin, almost any pain killer should be taken with something.
Agreed.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 01:22:56 »
I was diagnosed with GERD at 20 years old, been dealing with a bad stomach since. I'm doomed to take too many pills and probably lose my liver at 35
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline limmy

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 01:57:00 »
Internet is not the best place to ask for health advices. I recommend you see a dentist and get a proper care and prescription.

When I served in a military, I worked in a dental clinic as an assistant to dental surgeon for a year. I have seen many wisdom tooth related cases and here is my limited advice:
If the pain is unbearable, then it is likely the gums are swollen and inflamed. If that is the case, rinsing the affected area with hydrogen peroxide or mouth wash could help. (kill germs -> less inflammation -> less pain) If you have access to Monoject syringe, I recommend you use it to squirt hydrogen peroxide or mouth wash in the region. If Ibuprofen worked well, it could be because it helped reduce inflammation(as you know Ibuprofen is vasoconstrictor).

If the tooth was exposed for a while, the tooth itself may be decayed. If the tooth is the source of the pain, the rinsing would do little help. In this case, your best bet would be pain killers until the tooth is removed or treated. Standard pain killer used by my doctor was Ibuprofen 400mg or 800mg depending on the pain scale. Sometimes Tylenol 3 is prescribed, but that would probably make you drowsy. Tylenol is pain killer but not vasoconstrictor, so it could be what you are looking for.

TL;DR:
Your dentist would know best.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 04:29:49 »
...brushing with "Sensodyne" type toothpastes is surprisingly more effective than you might think.
I have this weird obsession with Pepsodent Toothpaste.  It is the only kind I will use.  All others I tried sux and hurts my gums.  I wonder why?

It's the Peroxide in some pastes that hurt your gums.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 04:31:21 »
I was diagnosed with GERD at 20 years old, been dealing with a bad stomach since. I'm doomed to take too many pills and probably lose my liver at 35

Quick, spend all your money on keyboards before you go. :D

Offline luckynet

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 10:26:15 »
how bout some palladone?
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 15:41:33 »
The funny thing is, I was diagnosed with imminent death so I really have been trying to spend all my money on keyboards (and some other projects that I love/respect) before I croak.

It would be stupid for me to die with money in my bank account that I could have used to build myself an ergonomic keyboard.

If I finish my ergo keyboard I wonder who I should leave it to?
My brothers are idiots who will just throw it away.
My chickies are idiots who will probably just throw it away.

Back to ur toothache:
Another thing to be sure and do is use Equate Antiseptic Mouthwash every time after you eat.  Use it several times a day.  Swish around for a long time like 5-20 mins.  It helps alleviate some pain.  It also kills germs so if your pain is being caused by germs then you get 2 benefits at once.

You really need to NUKE ur pain well before your exams.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 15:44:38 »
I thought excessive alcohol contact would damage gum tissue?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 16:01:00 »
Just go see a dentist and get it removed? Best way to deal with it  ;D
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 16:19:01 »
Probably right.

Normal teeth, coming in straight, would not hurt all that bad, for more than a few days at most.

To have major protracted pain probably means that they are coming in at a bad angle and pushing on something else.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:53:27 »
I thought excessive alcohol contact would damage gum tissue?
I don't know anything about that.  If you feel that mouthwash causes gum damage then don't use it.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 03:13:24 »
The funny thing is, I was diagnosed with imminent death so I really have been trying to spend all my money on keyboards (and some other projects that I love/respect) before I croak.

It would be stupid for me to die with money in my bank account that I could have used to build myself an ergonomic keyboard.

If I finish my ergo keyboard I wonder who I should leave it to?
My brothers are idiots who will just throw it away.
My chickies are idiots who will probably just throw it away.

Back to ur toothache:
Another thing to be sure and do is use Equate Antiseptic Mouthwash every time after you eat.  Use it several times a day.  Swish around for a long time like 5-20 mins.  It helps alleviate some pain.  It also kills germs so if your pain is being caused by germs then you get 2 benefits at once.

You really need to NUKE ur pain well before your exams.

how come the ergo forum hasn't ever heard about your project? holding out?

Offline iri

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 06:42:30 »
did it twice, never regretted, will do again.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 11:12:24 »

Went to my doctor.. got some good ol' antibiotics... he didn't give me the good kind,, still hella expensive for this crappy generic though....  Clarithromyc....  LAME..........

Good thing I still have plenty of keyboard money..... <($ _ $)>

Offline Lanx

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:28:59 »
A+++, removal was painless, i credit the anesthesiologist, and my inability to count backwards from 10...9... and wake up slurring!

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:39:14 »

As noted before I happily still have all 4 of mine (3 impacted).  If the oral surgeon had pressed to have them removed I would have put up a fight but he actually agreed that it was a bad idea from the start.  I'm very happy to have only had the 1 bout of painful infection.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 21:10:53 »
Just to add to the topic, I have had tooth brushes for 8 years when one of my wisdom tooth decided to push with an angle, IN the tooth beside it. I ended up having my 3 other wisdom tooth removed, and the tooth damaged by the wisdom tooth. I also ended up with 2 more years of orthodonty (dunno how it's called in english) and they had to "move" my remaining wisdom tooth 1 space to replace the damaged tooth.

And I had plenty of place for all 4 wisdom tooth, that's why it was never suspected.

And removing them was not so bad. Sensitive for 2 says, almost killed my cousin for touching my cheeks, but not that bad overall considering they had to break the damaged tooth in 3 pieces before removing it.

So it's up to you in the end, but the truth is that statistically, your better getting them removed in most case. So if your dentist thinks it's ok to keep em, well that's fine, but if he tells you to get them removed, I suggest listening to him. After all, that's his job.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns