Author Topic: Why Doesn't My Mom Realize  (Read 5995 times)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
Why Doesn't My Mom Realize
« on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 21:14:22 »
How amazing mechanical keyboars are!?

I mean, she types 150 WPM and types all day at work. However, she prefers the spaced out chicklet keys of her Mac Book... BUT HOW!?

How does she not feel the amazing linear crispness of my Red switches!? Or the pleasant click and tactile goodness of my Blue switches!?

Why... doesn't she get it!? When I went from those boards to a mechanical it was like losing my virginity. Not that I want my mother to feel like that in front of me... But you get the idea.

Don't you?

What?

Where am I?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: Why Doesn't My Mom Realize
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 21:16:10 »
It usually takes a bit to adjust to a mechanical keyboard. The reds or Blues also might just not be the correct switches for her. If she enjoys a laptop keyboard, she might prefer heavier switches.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 21:18:38 »
Really? I've tried for years to forget losing my virginity. A drunken haze of misguided uninformed fumbles and vomit culminating in blood and tears. Welp, back to therapy.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 21:19:45 »
I'd say that she may like ML's. Low profile, higher resistance, and if you're lucky/know what to look for in the part number, PBT dye subs.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:02:51 »
mac's...
mac users are a lost cause (even if she gave birth to you).

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:05:24 »
I'm going to drop a confession here... I purchased a Razer Deathstalker today... compulsive buying... Anyways, it's cool and quick for gaming (I might game exclusively on scissor switch going forward,) but for the moment I'm back to using my BS / Topre :)
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:21:44 »
I honestly DO think scissor is optimal.

Even after all this expensive foray into Mech

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:25:30 »
I was there in my first mech binge phase - I bought a Kensington Slimtype (the cool one with the chrome trim - not the "Slimtype" that's on Amazon right now that's full sized) and a couple of the Apple chiclet boards.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:33:57 »
I'm fine with my Laptop's scissor-switch, but I think it's too heavy.
More

R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:56:30 »

I actually agree with you on this.  I think for typing FAST.  Scissor switch is optimal because it allows for very little downstroke and recover in very little distance.  Less distance traveled = faster.

The thing with mechanical keyboard is that it FEEL and SOUND better  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:57:07 »
I was there in my first mech binge phase - I bought a Kensington Slimtype (the cool one with the chrome trim - not the "Slimtype" that's on Amazon right now that's full sized) and a couple of the Apple chiclet boards.

I'd love to use an apple keyboard, if only they made a wired version of that wireless one... Agh.... >:(

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Why Doesn't My Mom Realize
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 23:12:19 »

I'd love to use an apple keyboard, if only they made a wired version of that wireless one... Agh.... >:(
I can second that motion. Make the tiny form factor with a wire instead of Bluetooth, since I hate Bluetooth.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 00:02:05 »

For some reason my reds remind me of a nicer feeling scissor switch. Although, the first keyboard I ever really love and compared every new key board to for gaming was the Logitech DiNovo. No idea why I loved it so much.

Although, I have to say scissors do not even com close to my Filco with Reds. I will, however, say that the razor black widow stealth felt a tad more solid when typing. I thought it was the switch, but whn putting the keys on Filco to test, it was definitely the keys. filco's keys are thin while Razers has a coating.

So of course now I am impatiently waiting for my PBT keys.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 00:40:14 »
Scissors are nice and under-rated/appreciated.
They bind less (in some cases A LOT less), which seems to be an issue for me, and have a shorter travel than traditional rubber domes, kind of how my switches are setup now.

That Apple keyboard is really nice, and I could have sworn there was a wired version at one time, my problem though is the chicklet keys. On certain ones, the sharp corners always catch my fingernails. It's not like I have long nails, I just seem to snag them on there a lot. Some are worse than others, but it the first one I ever tried was so bad that i swore them off for a long time.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iri

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 02:23:44 »
i hugely dislike scissor switch keyboards. short throw + high actuation force = strong bottoming out all the time.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 04:08:23 »
I took the home Model M out for cleaning and replaced it with a cheap RD.
My mom started to complain about how awful the cheap RD was.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 10:03:06 »
My wife is a magazine editor who types monumental numbers of keystrokes, and she also prefers Apple flatness.

I don't have a particular problem with short throw, but I really need tall keys with some breathing space around them.

But I learned to type on a manual typewriter in the 1960s and take a true downward finger stroke each time, rather than a glide and dip.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 10:04:01 »
I can happily type all day on a MBP, nothing wrong with the keyboard on it at all.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 10:30:12 »
Weird thing is I really like my macbook keyboard but I truly hate my girlfriend imac bluetooth board
I expected it to have the same feel but it doesn't

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 14:58:10 »
I stupidly purchased that nre Deathstalker Ultimate from Razer and it had chicklet keys. I liked it because it was new... then when I put the mechanical back it was amazing. I will never use anything besides mechanical.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 20:32:59 »
I like scissor switches. Mechanical feels nicer, but scissor switches are still not bad.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 20:50:12 »
I might actually pick up a DeathStalker. As much as I love my Topre switches, I also loved typing on my Mac aluminum board. It's just not very optimal for Windows :-\

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 21:07:29 »
I mean, she types 150 WPM and types all day at work. However, she prefers the spaced out chicklet keys of her Mac Book... BUT HOW!?

your mother is lying to you and doesn't type that fast

I actually agree with you on this.  I think for typing FAST.  Scissor switch is optimal because it allows for very little downstroke and recover in very little distance.  Less distance traveled = faster.

this isn't really true though as much as it miay seem to make sense because LESS DISTANCE EQUAL FASTER IT LOGIC RIGHT

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 03:11:02 »

this isn't really true though as much as it miay seem to make sense because LESS DISTANCE EQUAL FASTER IT LOGIC RIGHT

What keyboard with what switches do you use?

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 10:01:27 »
I might actually pick up a DeathStalker. As much as I love my Topre switches, I also loved typing on my Mac aluminum board. It's just not very optimal for Windows :-\

I'm selling mine. It's barely used. PM me if you're interested.

Offline precarious

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 10:16:03 »

filco mj2, mx browns with white-on-black cherry doubleshots, cherry pbt dyesubs for the primary 33 keys, doubleshot cherry CODE keycap for ? - http://i.imgur.com/4Ysij.jpg (top)

i tried some reds recently though and i think i need to get reds for a GH60 or something, because those are probably better than browns after typing on these for a while and trying those out.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 10:26:30 »

filco mj2, mx browns with white-on-black cherry doubleshots, cherry pbt dyesubs for the primary 33 keys, doubleshot cherry CODE keycap for ? - http://i.imgur.com/4Ysij.jpg (top)

i tried some reds recently though and i think i need to get reds for a GH60 or something, because those are probably better than browns after typing on these for a while and trying those out.

Yeah, I like my reds more than my browns. But I do want to try something with more tactile feedback than browns. I always like the tactile feedback of my rubber domes but hated everything else.

This is why I am torn between clear, green and topre for my next board. Any advice?

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 11:01:32 »
mac's...

Your mother and fohat's wife are both hipsters. Don't try to reason with them, you'll only make them angrier and they'll want another ipad.

EDIT:

also scissors are ass, you guys are on meth.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Offline precarious

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 11:06:19 »
Yeah, I like my reds more than my browns. But I do want to try something with more tactile feedback than browns. I always like the tactile feedback of my rubber domes but hated everything else.

This is why I am torn between clear, green and topre for my next board. Any advice?

i was looking at getting one of those mx gray boards coming out soon for the stiff tactility, but greens seem like they could probably be pretty decent too after having used a dolch for a little bit.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 11:14:09 »

i was looking at getting one of those mx gray boards coming out soon for the stiff tactility, but greens seem like they could probably be pretty decent too after having used a dolch for a little bit.

I just watched a video on the sound if Realforce 87U and it got me feeling all warm and fuzzy. I think after I sell my Deathstalker I might pick this up:

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se170s

Offline sicyo

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 16:05:10 »
Yep I don't get the fans of apple flats either. My company's CTO prefers them :S

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 16:36:37 »
I'd say that she may like ML's. Low profile, higher resistance, and if you're lucky/know what to look for in the part number, PBT dye subs.

Sticky... T_T

They did.

i hugely dislike scissor switch keyboards. short throw + high actuation force = strong bottoming out all the time.

This, and one more thing: even NMB-manufactured thinkpad keyboard sometimes feels too mushy to me. I used to love scissor switches, and I still like them at times, but not for intensive/everyday use anymore.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 16:36:48 »
Some lessons you just have to learn for yourself...

Don't worry about your mum.  I think it's normal.  I know people that have struggled to get used to a new dell rd after moving from an older dell rd. 
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline iri

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 23:44:46 »
also scissors are ass, you guys are on meth.
agreed.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Demofly

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 00:34:43 »
I type ridiculously fast and accurately on my Lenovo Z575's keyboard.

It feels weird, but results are results.
i5 2300 - 7870Ghz - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 21.5" Acer 1080p
HPE 87 MX Brown + Ducky PBT (purchased from Flip!) | Ducky 1087XM Xiang Min Black ALPS clones.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 00:40:08 »
There are 2 main advantages to Scissor switches:

Low travel, 

____easier key timing, 

Low Profile

____reduces finger lift height
__________transition between keys are smoother

____prevents catching fingertips on row changes
________this happens when you move from something like J to U,  It's possible to flick the bottom of the U key in the transition..

These are all things you can overcome, but the point is... these little things do make quite a difference when you "don't" want to spend the time to develop more technique, "which is the average user"

Even then,, with low likelihood of technical errors on part of an experienced user,, the scissor Continues to provide,, EVEN LOWER chances of mis-steps.

Also iri,, WPM rating has nothing to do with these advantages....

This is purely an ergonomic dilemma, and scissor switches are superior...

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:26:37 »
I get key chatter more often on scissors (like when I type the word "to" it sometimes comes out as "too".) Also it's a higher impact typing experience when I type fast. I do use scissor switch at work now because it's quiet. I work in a lab and value personal (see, right there I typed "personaal" cause I'm typing on my Dell XPS keyboard  :)) ) space and respect of other people's ears / workspace. I can't think when **** is going on around me, distracting me.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:44:54 »
This is purely an ergonomic dilemma, and scissor switches are superior...

Offline tauburn

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:00:13 »
well the chiclet keys are kindof nice because of how short the travel time is. it lets you move your finger to the next letter faster than with normal sized keys.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 20:27:00 »
I gave said many times that I think that the Cherry MX Clear feels somewhat like a short-throw switch that cushions the stroke instead of bottoming out hard. I think that I type text on them faster than on any other switch.

The ideal switch would be, I think, one that combined a rubber dome or sleeve with a spring to provide the same force curve as the MX clear, but the dome could mean less friction and noise, and with built-in dampening if you ever bottom out. Because the rubber dome would provide more of the resistance at the top of the stroke, the force curve of the spring's contribution should be steeper. This would mean that the spring could be much shorter than in a typical MX, thus making the switch smaller, saving maybe up to five millimetres. If the switches were surface-mounted rather than with pins, there wouldn't also not need to be any space under the circuit board, and the circuit board could rest directly on the back plate, thus shaving off up to two millimetres more.
🍉

Offline tauburn

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 20:36:36 »
I gave said many times that I think that the Cherry MX Clear feels somewhat like a short-throw switch that cushions the stroke instead of bottoming out hard. I think that I type text on them faster than on any other switch.

The ideal switch would be, I think, one that combined a rubber dome or sleeve with a spring to provide the same force curve as the MX clear, but the dome could mean less friction and noise, and with built-in dampening if you ever bottom out. Because the rubber dome would provide more of the resistance at the top of the stroke, the force curve of the spring's contribution should be steeper. This would mean that the spring could be much shorter than in a typical MX, thus making the switch smaller, saving maybe up to five millimetres. If the switches were surface-mounted rather than with pins, there wouldn't also not need to be any space under the circuit board, and the circuit board could rest directly on the back plate, thus shaving off up to two millimetres more.

older people dont care if something is better.  they just want what theyre used to.

Offline compgeke

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:06:42 »

That's the way my mom is, she has her horrible Samsung chicklet keyboard on her laptop and says the keyboard on my laptop sucks (and in my opinion it's not half bad).  I have no idea who makes the Latitude keyboard (made by Darfon...?). She also has something against the Model M I use, not sure if it's how loud it is, or just the fact that it's not as crappy as a Samsung keyboard.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 23:30:42 »

That's the way my mom is, she has her horrible Samsung chicklet keyboard on her laptop and says the keyboard on my laptop sucks (and in my opinion it's not half bad).  I have no idea who makes the Latitude keyboard (made by Darfon...?). She also has something against the Model M I use, not sure if it's how loud it is, or just the fact that it's not as crappy as a Samsung keyboard.

with women, most of them can't properly use a full travel keyboard because of "long/longer nails"

On chiclet keyboards, nails don't get caught as easily

same goes for many "girly" men these days...

I've worked with many people that develop bad technique both on piano, and pc keyboard, due to the fact that they don't trim their nails.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 01:11:53 »
older people dont care if something is better.  they just want what theyre used to.

I assume that's why so many people are still using windows XP and office 2003.

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 13:12:53 »
I've never typed faster on a mech board than on scissors. The travel distance to bottoming out is just so wonderful. I want longer lasting, crisper and lower actuation force scissors. Screw you haters.
Dvorak

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 13:59:05 »
I don't understand the low travel thing. At the end of the day, wouldn't it boil down to actuation force? Also, I type extremely light on my reds. Graceful enough where I almost never bottom out. Would that be the same distance as a scissor switch?

Not being rhetorical, seriously asking.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 16:47:22 »
Just have her try it and ask her to stick with it for a little while. If, after that, she still does not care for mechanical keyboards (or at least the switches you had her try), then just give up. Apparently she is already very comfortable on the keyboard she is currently using.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0