Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553444 times)

Offline ajx

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #6350 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 20:40:07 »
on Poker 2, black PBT are not black but rather dark grey
all black PBT looks like dark grey?

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #6351 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 22:21:25 »
I'm interested in having a plate cut for a Phantom. I would like to use one of the standard plates from the GB. Is it OK to do this? What files would I need to send to the company doing the cutting and how could I get these? I've noticed a few threads on producing plates, but I'm put off by the fact that I'd have to have them shipped a long way to get to me.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6352 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 22:44:12 »
I'm interested in having a plate cut for a Phantom. I would like to use one of the standard plates from the GB. Is it OK to do this? What files would I need to send to the company doing the cutting and how could I get these? I've noticed a few threads on producing plates, but I'm put off by the fact that I'd have to have them shipped a long way to get to me.

Code: [Select]
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13928714177726&key=ae397ad5dec9dcac1cf8902258ac4def&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fgeekhack.org%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D47744.0&v=1&libId=f2b2fc67-1c16-4744-8f62-b1ee96cd79b4&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Fgb2uqdfwhqjhhl7%2FPhantomPlates.zip&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fgeekhack.org%2Findex.php%3Fboard%3D117.0&title=GH%20CAD%20Resources%20Hub&txt=Phantom%20Plates
This link came from here.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47744.0
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #6353 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 22:53:09 »
Thanks Melvang!

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #6354 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 01:22:15 »
Any other places to buy Topre replacement key caps besides EliteKeyboards? I swear I saw someone posted a site with several options/colors, but I can't remember where it was posted :<
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #6355 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 01:38:41 »
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #6356 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 01:53:22 »
you need to use proxy to buy it from china

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.2KTaWd&id=36392535695
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.2KTaWd&id=14384988030

they only have 1-5 sets of each color.

Ah thanks. I was hoping the full sets would be reasonably priced but it doesn't seem that way :<
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6357 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 08:10:47 »
on Poker 2, black PBT are not black but rather dark grey
all black PBT looks like dark grey?

No it depends. Also remember if you're dye-subbing the PBT caps, they can't be black or the legends won't show.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6358 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 20:49:25 »
CPTBadAss update time: I've overhauled the OP. It should be a lot nicer to navigate now. Yes, I've exercised my right as part of the Keepers team to takeover the second thread. I should also say I asked the mods in advance. Hopefully Strelok and everyone else don't mind. I've also added a feedback thread so please chime in and let me know what you'd like to see improved. The thread can be found here.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2014, 22:37:14 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Rena

« Reply #6359 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 20:52:55 »
So how would I go about obtaining a good alps keyboard? I was interested in the white alps,  but I'm aware of how many different color switches there are and have no idea which are the best choice, or which of those are even available anymore (would like to find blue alps but it doubt that will happen). I've heard mostly about the Dell AT101W, which has black alps that apparently aren't very popular for typing, and the Focus FK-2001 which the majority of those boards out there don't even have real white alps. Right now whites seem the most likely to be available and the better choice for typing but I have no idea about these kinds of boards at all.

I would have liked to create a thread for this to possibly instigate more discussion but there's already a couple threads pertaining to alps on the first two pages so I wasn't sure.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6360 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 20:56:41 »
So how would I go about obtaining a good alps keyboard? I was interested in the white alps,  but I'm aware of how many different color switches there are and have no idea which are the best choice, or which of those are even available anymore (would like to find blue alps but it doubt that will happen). I've heard mostly about the Dell AT101W, which has black alps that apparently aren't very popular for typing, and the Focus FK-2001 which the majority of those boards out there don't even have real white alps. Right now whites seem the most likely to be available and the better choice for typing but I have no idea about these kinds of boards at all.

I would have liked to create a thread for this to possibly instigate more discussion but there's already a couple threads pertaining to alps on the first two pages so I wasn't sure.

I recommend getting an Dell AT101W or Focus FK-2001 like you said. If you want to make a thread go ahead? And you can buy them on eBay.

Offline Rena

« Reply #6361 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:04:12 »

I recommend getting an Dell AT101W or Focus FK-2001 like you said. If you want to make a thread go ahead? And you can buy them on eBay.
I was looking on eBay. I found a couple listings for the Dell one just fine, about $30 (is that a good price used?) but I still wasn't sure if I'd like the black alps so much after hearing how many others disliked them. The only two listings I could find of the Focus were the ones with the Windows key, which to my understanding do not use even real alps switches but instead imitations. Most all other alps boards I tried searching for that were on the deskthority wiki I couldn't find on eBay. I'm really not sure what else to do, but I'm still interested in the white alps unless, perhaps, the green alps are available somewhere too, or something.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6362 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:12:19 »
The problem with a lot of Alps stuff is that there is a huge variety of switches. I got real complicated white Alps in a Focus FK2001. So I think you read some bad information somewhere. The Dell AT101W is what I started on and I think $30 is a good deal. Anyways, I think you should definitely go make a new topic.

Offline Rena

« Reply #6363 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:20:17 »
The problem with a lot of Alps stuff is that there is a huge variety of switches. I got real complicated white Alps in a Focus FK2001. So I think you read some bad information somewhere. The Dell AT101W is what I started on and I think $30 is a good deal. Anyways, I think you should definitely go make a new topic.
well I hope it wasn't bad information. On the deskthority wiki page for the FK-2001 it says that models without the windows keys have the real complicated white alps and possibly real blue switches, while those with the windows keys don't use real alps, or sometimes simplified blues (another imitation?). Here's the source - http://deskthority.net/wiki/Focus_FK-2001

Anyway, I would be glad to make a thread where we could continue discussion. Give me one moment, posting from my tablet right now.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6364 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:23:17 »
well I hope it wasn't bad information. On the deskthority wiki page for the FK-2001 it says that models without the windows keys have the real complicated white alps and possibly real blue switches, while those with the windows keys don't use real alps, or sometimes simplified blues (another imitation?). Here's the source - http://deskthority.net/wiki/Focus_FK-2001

Anyway, I would be glad to make a thread where we could continue discussion. Give me one moment, posting from my tablet right now.

Again, you can find FK2001s with real white alps. I had one.

And yes, let's migrate this to a new thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55096.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:29:08 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #6365 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:45:25 »
Does anyone know where I can get a hand on one of these?

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?pid=leo_tkb001

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6366 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 21:49:37 »

Try PM'ing/emailing them? If they're discontinued it's going to be hard to find. I think the TT eSports bag and the Razer bag are nice alternatives though.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #6367 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 08:35:30 »

Try PM'ing/emailing them? If they're discontinued it's going to be hard to find. I think the TT eSports bag and the Razer bag are nice alternatives though.

I just sent them an email...just trying my luck!

I like both bags, but I hate the huge strap D:

Offline Gondorff

« Reply #6368 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 18:40:44 »
Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the mechanical keyboard scene, so excuse my ignorance...

What are the differences between buckling switches vs. cherry switches as far as internals go? To clarify, would they both be compatible with the same pcb?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6369 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 18:42:27 »
1) What are the differences between buckling switches vs. cherry switches as far as internals go?

2) Would they both be compatible with the same pcb?

1) Check out the pictures of buckling spring switches and MX switches.

2) No

Offline Gondorff

« Reply #6370 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 19:00:14 »
1) What are the differences between buckling switches vs. cherry switches as far as internals go?

2) Would they both be compatible with the same pcb?

1) Check out the pictures of buckling spring switches and MX switches.

2) No

Has geekhack ever had anyone develop any custom-made buckling spring pcbs?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6371 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 19:01:34 »
Has geekhack ever had anyone develop any custom-made buckling spring pcbs?

It's not a PCB per se, since BS switches don't use PCBs. But wcass has made custom membranes the buckling spring over membrane switch.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #6372 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:38:55 »
Do Topre Realforce keycaps have a more consistent profile, particularly the alpha keys? Could some printed caps be rearranged to Colemak / Dvorak for the HHKB, without being too awkward?

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #6373 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:43:43 »
Do Topre Realforce keycaps have a more consistent profile, particularly the alpha keys? Could some printed caps be rearranged to Colemak / Dvorak for the HHKB, without being too awkward?
no unfortunately,topre caps have rows almost like cherry profile i see. IBM M i think don't have rows
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #6374 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 00:44:33 »
is Cherry stabs plate mount fit on plate 2mm? :)
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6375 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 02:14:31 »

Cherry MX datasheet

From the datasheet, there's a picture that shows the min, max, and nominal dimension the plate can be.

.056 in minimum = 1.4224 mm min
.060 in nominal = 1.524 mm nominal
.064 in maximum = 1.6256 mm max

I think jdcarpe likes to cut his plates at .060" thickness. He says in that post that .0625" plates can work but you'll need to file it.

So the answer is no, 2mm is too thick.

And please don't double post. Edit your previous post next time.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6376 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:44:04 »

Show Image

Cherry MX datasheet

From the datasheet, there's a picture that shows the min, max, and nominal dimension the plate can be.

.056 in minimum = 1.4224 mm min
.060 in nominal = 1.524 mm nominal
.064 in maximum = 1.6256 mm max

I think jdcarpe likes to cut his plates at .060" thickness. He says in that post that .0625" plates can work but you'll need to file it.

So the answer is no, 2mm is too thick.

And please don't double post. Edit your previous post next time.

I had a plate cut by The_Beast in 16 gauge steel (~1.59 mm, 0.0625") and it is a near-perfect thickness, no filing required.  Just as an added bit of information/experience.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6377 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 09:16:19 »
no unfortunately,topre caps have rows almost like cherry profile i see. IBM M i think don't have rows

Correct on the IBM M.  Hey have a uniform profile caps.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6378 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 11:51:56 »
Made a USB cable, could, in case I did something wrong, testing it on my PC cause any harm to my USB port or the keyboard?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6379 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 12:16:39 »
Made a USB cable, could, in case I did something wrong, testing it on my PC cause any harm to my USB port or the keyboard?

I doubt it.  I would think worst case scenario would be what you are plugging in would be toasted.  If you are worried about it just test the plugs with a multimeter. 

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6380 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 12:24:18 »
I doubt it.  I would think worst case scenario would be what you are plugging in would be toasted.  If you are worried about it just test the plugs with a multimeter.

You know I would kind of mind if my keyboard got fried ;)
I have no multimeter, but I think I can diy something with a LED.

Offline mechabit

« Reply #6381 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 13:25:20 »
Hello. I posted a while ago with a few questions regarding Poker ii, thank you for your answers.

One more question. Can anyone confirm that n key rollover can be achieved using a USB -> PS2 adapter? I'm a little nervous about doing the firmware update after reading the thread.

Thank you.

Edit: Typos
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2014, 14:24:10 by mechabit »

Offline Norz

« Reply #6382 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:42:28 »
What's the best site to offer various choice/customization and decent prices for PBT (ISO) key caps ? Something euro friendly.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6383 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:51:07 »
What's the best site to offer various choice/customization and decent prices for PBT (ISO) key caps ? Something euro friendly.

There is none. You can get PBT ISO caps, but no custom ones, only ABS.

Offline Norz

« Reply #6384 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 16:52:08 »
Damn!

Ok thanks a bunch

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6385 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 17:45:02 »
What's the point of aluminium spacebars? How do they feel compared to normal abs or pbt plastic ones? Will the sound be changed a lot?
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6386 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 17:54:02 »
What's the point of aluminium spacebars? How do they feel compared to normal abs or pbt plastic ones? Will the sound be changed a lot?

To me the point was having a space bar that would last longer.

Its metal so obviously it feels different. Cold and clunky if I had to describe it.

The sound is different and I would say it depends on switch type and stabilizer type.

Personally I was completely unimpressed.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #6387 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 18:14:52 »

Correct on the IBM M.  Hey have a uniform profile caps.

So blank keycaps are my best option, huh...   :-[

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6388 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 18:16:46 »

Its metal so obviously it feels different. Cold and clunky if I had to describe it.

The sound is different and I would say it depends on switch type and stabilizer type.

Thanks for your input! I think I should pick one up myself just to test it... I really hate the sound from my current spacebars.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #6389 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 18:31:18 »

Thanks for your input! I think I should pick one up myself just to test it... I really hate the sound from my current spacebars.

I like the variety of finishes and colour on aluminum space bars, but they tend to ping on the upstroke --especially for clicky switches.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6390 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:01:23 »

I like the variety of finishes and colour on aluminum space bars, but they tend to ping on the upstroke --especially for clicky switches.

Mmm, I like the look of them as well. Will see if I can find one I want. '^'

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6391 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 19:12:11 »
One more question. Can anyone confirm that n key rollover can be achieved using a USB -> PS2 adapter? I'm a little nervous about doing the firmware update after reading the thread.

I've not heard that many people doing the firmware upgrade in general. I'm not sure what that means though. Either it's not popular or it works without issue. Wish I could help more =(.

1) What's the point of aluminium spacebars?
2) How do they feel compared to normal abs or pbt plastic ones?
3) Will the sound be changed a lot?

1) It's a diff material and can be cool?
2) It feels like cold metal, like aluminum.
3) The sound will be different.

Offline Rena

« Reply #6392 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 20:54:54 »
Can anyone recommend to me a good set of PBT function keys (ctrl, shift, caps lock, etc. all of those kinds of keys around the sides of the letter keys whatever they're called) that are pink with white lettering? I'm looking into this set of white keycaps with pink letters for my black-bodied filco and I thought some pink keycaps with white letters in the right placement would make it look better, or something.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6393 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 20:55:35 »
Can anyone recommend to me a good set of PBT function keys (ctrl, shift, caps lock, etc. all of those kinds of keys around the sides of the letter keys whatever they're called) that are pink with white lettering? I'm looking into this set of white keycaps with pink letters for my black-bodied filco and I thought some pink keycaps with white letters in the right placement would make it look better, or something.

I don't think this colorway in PBT exists unfortunately.

Offline Rena

« Reply #6394 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:00:35 »

well if that's the case i'll be fine with ABS, so long as it's dyesub or double shot. the other set of keycaps I was planning to use along with them were PBT and double shot (these to be exact http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Pink-Double-Shot-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/231099851959) so I'm not so sure if PBT and ABS on the same board are a good idea

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6395 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:04:46 »

well if that's the case i'll be fine with ABS, so long as it's dyesub or double shot. the other set of keycaps I was planning to use along with them were PBT and double shot (these to be exact http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Pink-Double-Shot-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/231099851959) so I'm not so sure if PBT and ABS on the same board are a good idea

Ok I think I mis-remembered. Check out these upcoming Vortex caps here. And Ducky has some PBT caps in the colorway you want as well. Also check out the Valentine's set.

Offline Rena

« Reply #6396 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:11:52 »

Ok I think I mis-remembered. Check out these upcoming Vortex caps here. And Ducky has some PBT caps in the colorway you want as well. Also check out the Valentine's set.
The vortex keys in the thread you just linked are exactly what I'm looking for. It seems that thread was made back in November so has there been any word on them? Because I haven't seen those bi-colored sets on the facebook page anywhere for sale.

The valentines set is is pretty much what I wanted too althoug I don't think those are PBT, right?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6397 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:18:22 »
1) The vortex keys in the thread you just linked are exactly what I'm looking for. It seems that thread was made back in November so has there been any word on them? Because I haven't seen those bi-colored sets on the facebook page anywhere for sale.

2) The valentines set is is pretty much what I wanted too althoug I don't think those are PBT, right?

1) I haven't heard anything from them yet.

2) Yes it's SP DCS ABS.

Offline Rena

« Reply #6398 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:25:19 »
1) The vortex keys in the thread you just linked are exactly what I'm looking for. It seems that thread was made back in November so has there been any word on them? Because I haven't seen those bi-colored sets on the facebook page anywhere for sale.

2) The valentines set is is pretty much what I wanted too althoug I don't think those are PBT, right?

2) Yes it's SP DCS ABS.
I think I'll wait until the vortex keys come in stock then. It seems like if I participated in the valentines group buy it would cost far more to get a full set of 104 keycaps than it would be the vortex keys. Maybe if I send them an email they could inform me on the release time, although I'm not sure where I'd find their contact information.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6399 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 21:26:45 »

2) Yes it's SP DCS ABS.
I'm not sure where I'd find their contact information.

You can try PMing Vortex_JC here and see if he responds.