Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555630 times)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #6500 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 11:30:53 »
Does anyone know of a YouTube video where I can see someone typing on a Filco MJ2 in a Vortex aluminium case? If so, please pass me the link! :)

Not this one:
- Need a video of a Filco MJ2 in a Vortex aluminium case with plastic keys.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6501 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 14:28:39 »
Does anyone know of a YouTube video where I can see someone typing on a Filco MJ2 in a Vortex aluminium case? If so, please pass me the link! :)

Not this one:

I don't have a video for you, but I can tell you that if you don't have a clicky switch, the case will eat a lot of the sound. I typed on riotonthebay's spritboard with ergo clears, and the only noise it made was when it the switches actuated.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6502 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 14:38:22 »

Not this one:

I don't have a video for you, but I can tell you that if you don't have a clicky switch, the case will eat a lot of the sound. I typed on riotonthebay's spritboard with ergo clears, and the only noise it made was when it the switches actuated.

Thanks for the information, but I still would appreciate a video, hard to imagine how it will sound. :P Have you typed on an acrylic case before? Wondering if it will sound similar, or if it will be vastly different.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6503 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 16:56:44 »
Where can I get a filco cable? I need one because my camo is starting to die again.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6504 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 17:13:31 »
Where can I get a filco cable? I need one because my camo is starting to die again.

pexon

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6505 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 17:14:40 »

Here is one place:

http://pexonpcs.co.uk/Filco-Cable-_p_43.html

Pexon sells that Filco detachable mod as well, if you're interested. :)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6506 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 17:16:05 »
How do I define 'key chattering'? Is it when I gently tap on my stabilized keys and they make that metallic sound? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I have no idea what it is. :P

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6507 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 17:17:09 »
How do I define 'key chattering'? Is it when I gently tap on my stabilized keys and they make that metallic sound? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I have no idea what it is. :P

its when the wrong keypresses are sent I think or when it double taps a key when u single hit

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #6508 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 17:30:40 »
Why does my BTC 5100C actuate as if it is mechanical (halfway down the keystroke). I think it may be a conductive rubber dome? do all conductive rubber domes actuate without bottoming out? It is definitely not foam and foil. It is one of the newer/last produced ones.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6509 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 17:32:20 »

Since you're in the US, I highly recommend Mimic Cables.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6510 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 17:33:52 »

its when the wrong keypresses are sent I think or when it double taps a key when u single hit

Oh, I get it - thanks!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6511 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 17:37:22 »

Oh, I get it - thanks!

To clarify/expand, it's what debounce solves.  It's when multiple keystrokes are sent to the computer for a single press of the key.  The "chattering" is on the switch/hardware side, and the "debounce" is on the firmware side to combat chattering.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6512 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 18:18:24 »

Oh, I get it - thanks!

To clarify/expand, it's what debounce solves.  It's when multiple keystrokes are sent to the computer for a single press of the key.  The "chattering" is on the switch/hardware side, and the "debounce" is on the firmware side to combat chattering.

I see. Thank you. :)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #6513 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 18:38:32 »
Less keyboard related, more forum related. How in the world can I upload an avatar without it being horrible quality? There is always compression on the picture really bad, I don't see anyone else with these bad of problems with their avatars.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #6514 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 18:41:11 »
Less keyboard related, more forum related. How in the world can I upload an avatar without it being horrible quality? There is always compression on the picture really bad, I don't see anyone else with these bad of problems with their avatars.

I noticed this as well and haven't bothered to fix it yet myself, but I believe you can choose to link to a URL instead of uploading. This shouldn't result in any additional compression, just resizing.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6515 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 18:54:34 »
Is there any way to disable the windows keys on a Filco MJ2? With some software perhaps?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6516 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 19:22:33 »
Is there any way to disable the windows keys on a Filco MJ2? With some software perhaps?

SP sells physical keylockers.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6517 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 23:53:38 »
How would the caps lock LED work on a pure / poker 2 if you were to desolder the original LED and add one to the switch. Would it always stay on?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6518 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 00:09:23 »

For a software solution, you could consider using autohotkey to reassign it to (nothing).  I've never tried that, but it might be worth trying.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6519 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 00:45:13 »
How would the caps lock LED work on a pure / poker 2 if you were to desolder the original LED and add one to the switch. Would it always stay on?

How would it work if you replaced the LED? It would work the same I think.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6520 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 00:46:53 »
Quick list of blue tooth mechs. And go!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6522 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 00:48:35 »
Quick list of blue tooth mechs. And go!

KBTalking Pro v1.1

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6523 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 00:48:54 »

I think he's referring to the fact that the caps lock LED on the poker 2 is actually a round LED not seated into the switch but rather positioned to the right of the switch.  (so you could potentially keep the stock LED and add one to the switch)  So if you remove that and put one in the switch position, what happens?  I can't answer that as I don't know, but hopefully I've correctly interpreted the question.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6524 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 00:50:28 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6525 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 00:56:26 »
Out the box bluetooth no modding 15 lb keyboards

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6526 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 00:59:25 »
Out the box bluetooth no modding 15 lb keyboards

KBTalking Pro v1.1 superglued to a 12.5lb weight.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6527 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 01:01:05 »
Ewwww 104 keys

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6528 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 01:01:17 »

I think he's referring to the fact that the caps lock LED on the poker 2 is actually a round LED not seated into the switch but rather positioned to the right of the switch.  (so you could potentially keep the stock LED and add one to the switch)  So if you remove that and put one in the switch position, what happens?  I can't answer that as I don't know, but hopefully I've correctly interpreted the question.

Spot on. :thumb:
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6529 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 01:09:57 »

If you're willing to wait a couple days, I could throw an LED on my caps lock switch and see how it behaves (whether it's always on or behaves as the caps lock LED does).  I need to think about what color LED I want there though eventually, so I don't want to rush and do it right now.  :P

Of course it'd be ideal if anyone else has experience with this.  But if no one replies I'll try it out for you.  :)

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6530 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 01:14:30 »

If you're willing to wait a couple days, I could throw an LED on my caps lock switch and see how it behaves (whether it's always on or behaves as the caps lock LED does).  I need to think about what color LED I want there though eventually, so I don't want to rush and do it right now.  :P

Of course it'd be ideal if anyone else has experience with this.  But if no one replies I'll try it out for you.  :)

Thanks a lot. I appreciate that :)

I would assume it would not function as a caps lock LED but I may be mistaken.

Maybe someone will chime in soon.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6531 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 01:19:27 »

After a brief inspection of the traces, it seems like it might actually behave like all the other add-on LEDs on the board (always on / controlled by fn+v).  But that's just a guess.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6532 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 01:22:53 »

After a brief inspection of the traces, it seems like it might actually behave like all the other add-on LEDs on the board (always on / controlled by fn+v).  But that's just a guess.

Well that really sucks. Is there a possibility of somehow wiring that led to the original caps lock?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6533 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 01:25:43 »

Well that really sucks. Is there a possibility of somehow wiring that led to the original caps lock?

If I'm right with that guess, then no, not without cutting traces and re-routing which would not be easy at all.  Best bet would probably be to swap out the stock caps lock LED and put the new one in its place, rather than in the switch position.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6534 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 01:27:23 »

If I'm right with that guess, then no, not without cutting traces and re-routing which would not be easy at all.  Best bet would probably be to swap out the stock caps lock LED and put the new one in its place, rather than in the switch position.

Damn. I actually have to remove it completely because of the imsto plate I ordered not having the cutout.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6535 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 03:27:36 »

For a software solution, you could consider using autohotkey to reassign it to (nothing).  I've never tried that, but it might be worth trying.

Kk, will check it out.  :thumb:

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6536 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 03:49:54 »

AutoHotKey worked just fine! Thank you so much.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6537 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 03:52:50 »

AutoHotKey worked just fine! Thank you so much.

Awesome!  I'm glad it worked out well for you.  :D

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6538 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 10:22:03 »

Posted this last night without a definitive answer. Does anyone know? :)
Thank you.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6539 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 10:35:20 »

Thank you.

I'm almost 100% positive I've replaced the Caps Lock LED on a Pure with an in-switch LED and it worked just as you would expect.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6540 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:22:41 »

Thank you.

Please don't bump your questions.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #6541 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:59:08 »

Thank you.

Please don't bump your questions.

Sorry!

Could someone quickly tell me how to turn on and adjust LEDs on a pure. I can't find it.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6542 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:01:55 »

nvm ^^
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:39:29 by epzy »

Offline Emmiya

« Reply #6543 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:18:12 »
On my pure it's:
Fn + B - activate (setting 1)
Fn + V - increase brightness
Fn + N - decrease brightness

Fn + B - again (setting 2) - Locked at that brightness

Fn + B - third time (disable)
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:22:19 by Emmiya »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6544 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:23:45 »
On my pure it's:
Fn + B - activate (setting 1)
Fn + V - increase brightness
Fn + N - decrease brightness

Fn + B - again (setting 2) - Locked at that brightness

Fn + B - third time (disable)

Doesn't the second Fn+B put it into breathing mode? I'm pretty sure that's what mine does.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Emmiya

« Reply #6545 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 12:26:22 »
Ah, that's exactly what it does.

My bad, I never use the back-lighting, so I just figured it was a preset-high setting.

Either way, here's the online manual : http://view.samurajdata.se/psview.php?id=8ae497aa&page=1

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6546 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 21:37:45 »
If I have a non-backlit pure that I then add LEDs to, will I be able to control them or will they have to be on all the time?

Similar question about the poker II.

Thanks!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6547 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 21:45:46 »
If I have a non-backlit pure that I then add LEDs to, will I be able to control them or will they have to be on all the time?

Similar question about the poker II.

Thanks!

It will work the same as a backlit Pure or Poker II. They ship with the same hardware and firmware, sans LEDs only.

in memoriam

Offline Slowdiving

« Reply #6548 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 23:29:16 »
Can I use the Pexon filco mod on my RF87U?  Or am I better getting a USB mini extender, cutting/soldering it to a mobo header and attaching that to my PCB?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6549 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 23:57:40 »
Which color way for caps was/is the Nathan set?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich