Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553949 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8200 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:35:31 »
Could someone elaborate on the reasoning behind non standard stems positions?

Seems like that was Cherry's "standard". Cherry does what Cherry wants :P

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8201 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:39:05 »
What's the best way t ship a Realforce box(with board) internationally? What I mean is do I use an extra box, fill it with Polystyrene balls(?), then tape it up like a maniac, or just like how it came to me, a dense foam sheet wrapped around the box(laterally), the whole thing packed in that postal plastic bag thing?

How do I maximize protection while minimizing packaging costs?

Just wrapping stuff around the box and taping it up like a madman always works for me. It's the Int. tracking that always bends me over the table :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8202 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 22:03:48 »

Seems like that was Cherry's "standard". Cherry does what Cherry wants :p
cherry logic

I think its something to do with 7x bars and using the same pcbs, sorta like g81 bottom row

That explanation makes sense, to get a warrant for it someone should compare the PCBs on various models with different space bar's lengths and check the stems positions between them.

I did that, some parts match up, some don't. Its so weird

Seems like that was Cherry's "standard". Cherry does what Cherry wants :p

They certainly do. However I think there should be some sort of cost saving of design practice that make those design decisions sounding.

Offline gustavQ

« Reply #8203 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 02:35:58 »
Hey guys.

Can you please clarify me if the IBM Model M2 is a better Keyboard than the IBM Model M1. I have the opportunity to buy one by 40$, but I do not know if it's worth.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8204 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 04:48:59 »
Can you please clarify me if the IBM Model M2 is a better Keyboard than the IBM Model M1. I have the opportunity to buy one by 40$, but I do not know if it's worth.

First off, better is subjective. But many people think the M2 is worse in terms of build quality and it is known for broken capacitors. It is a lot smaller than a Model M though.

If you buy one make sure it's a buckling spring first as there's a rubberdome version of it.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #8205 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:36:54 »
Might be a dumb questions but I want to build a custom board using the phantom PCB. I know I need switches and a case, but I'm not sure about what else is need to complete the build? Is there a thread somewhere on what to get (I coudn't find one) ?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8206 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:38:06 »
Might be a dumb questions but I want to build a custom board using the phantom PCB. I know I need switches and a case, but I'm not sure about what else is need to complete the build? Is there a thread somewhere on what to get (I coudn't find one) ?

Try this instruction guide on DT.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8207 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:17:58 »
On Cherry PS2 cables what's the pinout colours? I need to know :

+5V/VCC
DATA
CLK
GND

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #8208 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:02:22 »
So I am about to pull the trigger on a Type-S since I fell in love with Topre. I am using a proxy.

The reason why my question is here is because I CANNOT decide whether I should get it with legends or not with legends! Since I am getting a nice discount by using a proxy I am also splurging for a spare set of black blank keys so I can change the FN arrow keys to black. I love the look of it being blank but I am afraid I am not going to learn my way around fast enough. I plan on keeping a printed image of the legends until I memorize everything.

What do you guys think?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8209 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:03:50 »
So I am about to pull the trigger on a Type-S since I fell in love with Topre. I am using a proxy. The reason why my question is here is because I CANNOT decide whether I should get it with legends or not with legends!

I don't like the look of blank caps. I prefer printed caps even though I can touch type. They look better to me. If you like blank, get blank. And it will force you to learn to touch type.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8210 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:04:09 »
So I am about to pull the trigger on a Type-S since I fell in love with Topre. I am using a proxy.

The reason why my question is here is because I CANNOT decide whether I should get it with legends or not with legends! Since I am getting a nice discount by using a proxy I am also splurging for a spare set of black blank keys so I can change the FN arrow keys to black. I love the look of it being blank but I am afraid I am not going to learn my way around fast enough. I plan on keeping a printed image of the legends until I memorize everything.

What do you guys think?
You'll learn a new layout faster if the keycaps are blank, since you'll be forced to memorise it.
github

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #8211 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:12:17 »
So I am about to pull the trigger on a Type-S since I fell in love with Topre. I am using a proxy. The reason why my question is here is because I CANNOT decide whether I should get it with legends or not with legends!

I don't like the look of blank caps. I prefer printed caps even though I can touch type. They look better to me. If you like blank, get blank. And it will force you to learn to touch type.

I like the look of legends as well. I even like the legends on the HHKB but the top and side legends look a little "meh" to me. However, I have not seen them in person. How do they look up close and personal?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8212 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:14:16 »
I like the look of legends as well. I even like the legends on the HHKB but the top and side legends look a little "meh" to me. However, I have not seen them in person. How do they look up close and personal?

I don't own an HHKB. When I saw one in person, I said "WOW, those are legends. They're not blank!"  :))

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8213 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:35:26 »
Space bar from a g80 HUBUS, does it have normal stem spacing or funky Cherry spacing?

Hmm, appreciate the link but didn't see the model listed. It's g80 8113 HUBUS. I searched around GH and I believe it has a standard spacebar,  but if anyone can confirm, that would be great.
If it's a 6.25 then it should have an off centre middle stem, just like all other Cherry 6.25s..

Yeah that's exactly my thought process. I've never seen a standard stem spacing on OG Cherry caps. But I'll definitely double check later.

Show Image

The answer, according to this G80-8113 spacebar, is no. The stem spacing is *not* standard.

Thanks  :thumb:
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #8214 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:13:36 »
What is the average time it takes an admin to address a concern?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8215 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:14:25 »
What is the average time it takes an admin to address a concern?

36.65 minutes. :))  I have no idea.

If you wait two days and don't get a reply, I'd say there's an issue. I'd PM another admin then.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8216 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:18:52 »
Can someone explain the layer push/pop/switching functions on the Ergodox?

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #8217 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 17:51:44 »

I don't own an HHKB. When I saw one in person, I said "WOW, those are legends. They're not blank!"  :))

Haha, I guess a lot of peeps do go with the blank don't they.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8218 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 17:54:27 »

What I was trying to say is that if you want a blank HHKB, get it. I'm sure no one knows what you want better than you  ;).

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #8219 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 19:19:33 »

What I was trying to say is that if you want a blank HHKB, get it. I'm sure no one knows what you want better than you  ;).

But I never know what I want!  :p

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8220 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 15:21:53 »
On Cherry PS2 cables what's the pinout colours? I need to know :

+5V/VCC
DATA
CLK
GND

Show Image

Anyone? Could really do with knowing this ASAP, but can't find anything on it..
github

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8221 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 15:28:01 »
Could really do with knowing this ASAP, but can't find anything on it.

Never trust colors. If you have a multi-meter, trace back from the cable pins themselves.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8222 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 15:30:29 »
Ah, good idea! Thanks! I'll see if I can dig out a multimeter..
github

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8223 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 16:34:56 »
Just tested it with a multimeter.. Here's what I got :

green - gnd
black - vcc
white - data
yellow - clock

Might be worth putting that in the OP CPT ^ (pinout for old Cherry G81/G80 PS2/DIN cables)
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 June 2014, 16:38:16 by Photekq »
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8224 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 16:43:47 »

green - gnd
black - vcc
white - data
yellow - clock

Might be worth putting that in the OP CPT ^ (pinout for old Cherry G81/G80 PS2/DIN cables)

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

I'll add it soon, thanks photekq.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8225 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 16:51:57 »

green  - gnd
black   - vcc
white  - data
yellow - clock

(pinout for old Cherry G81/G80 PS2/DIN cables)

ha ha ha ha ha

Trust this information at your own peril!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8226 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:08:47 »
How do I turn on alt codes?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8227 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:51:56 »
Anyone know the pinout on a Dolch PAC 61?  I want to convert it to PS/2, but have no clue on where to start.  I can provide pics later if necessary.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8228 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:59:01 »
Anyone know the pinout on a Dolch PAC 61?  I want to convert it to PS/2, but have no clue on where to start.  I can provide pics later if necessary.

Does this post or this thread help at all?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8229 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 21:06:45 »

Thanks man for digging up those links for me.  I'll dive into them and see.  The lack of pictures may make things hard.  I know I couldn't find anything in the Soarer's thread. 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8230 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 21:07:50 »
Thanks man for digging up those links for me.  I'll dive into them and see.  The lack of pictures may make things hard.  I know I couldn't find anything in the Soarer's thread.

I couldn't find any pictures but if you can't figure it out, let me know.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8231 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:55:47 »

Just don't get 5V and Gnd mixed up. After that, try both combinations of data pins until it works.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8232 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:01:39 »

green - gnd
black - vcc
white - data
yellow - clock

After checking again.. This isn't correct. The Cherry cables I have are a bit funny. There isn't a cable that goes to the CLK pin, instead there are ones going to the 'unused' ones.
github

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8233 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:54:41 »
After checking again.. This isn't correct. The Cherry cables I have are a bit funny. There isn't a cable that goes to the CLK pin, instead there are ones going to the 'unused' ones.

I wasn't laughing at your results, I was laughing at the idea that colors would be consistent from cable to cable, brand to brand, model to model. Even IBM was never consistent at all, as I would have hoped.

They are always wildly random, and also, I have found that "Ground" is sometimes the braided sheathing layer that you were expecting was just there for shielding.

PS - remember that the diagrams show the female socket that the the cable plugs into - mirror image of your male plug.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8234 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:58:47 »
Are brown and clear MX switches identical except for the springs and stems?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8235 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:03:47 »

All Cherry-brand MX switches are identical in their top and bottom housings (well, except for MX Lock), which are the only other parts besides the stems and springs. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8236 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:05:12 »
Can someone explain the layer push/pop/switching functions on the Ergodox?

To answer my own question for future reference,

Pushing the chosen layer puts it "on top" of the current layer. All keys will change except for any that are marked as transparent. Popping removes a layer that has been pushed on top.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8237 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:05:54 »

All Cherry-brand MX switches are identical in their top and bottom housings (well, except for MX Lock), which are the only other parts besides the stems and springs. :)

Excellent, thank you sir  :D

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8238 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:24:30 »

I wasn't laughing at your results, I was laughing at the idea that colors would be consistent from cable to cable, brand to brand, model to model. Even IBM was never consistent at all, as I would have hoped.

They are always wildly random, and also, I have found that "Ground" is sometimes the braided sheathing layer that you were expecting was just there for shielding.

PS - remember that the diagrams show the female socket that the the cable plugs into - mirror image of your male plug.
Oh! The diagrams are the female socket! No wonder it was wrong..

Here's the correct pinout :

gnd -- white
vcc -- black
clock -- green
data -- yellow
github

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8239 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:49:20 »
Alright, so I'm still confused, so I posted my question about the Dolch Pac 61 in the making things together sub to try and get some help instead of cluttering up simple questions, simple answers.

Offline Doesntknowwhattosay

« Reply #8240 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:03:34 »
Do you gain anything from putting diodes in the switches of an g80-3000 pcb instead of the wires?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8241 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:05:19 »

Oh! The diagrams are the female socket! No wonder it was wrong..

EVERYBODY gets that wrong. The wording/syntax/presentation at the bottom of the diagrams is very odd, obviously not an "English as a native language" speaker wrote them.

I would have said something like: "This is a view of the female computer socket that your male cable end will plug into." even though a preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8242 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:05:36 »
Do you gain anything from putting diodes in the switches of an g80-3000 pcb instead of the wires?

It won't work with diodes, or at least mine didn't.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8243 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 22:50:27 »
Does anyone know of a trusted Korean proxy? I am specifically trying to purchase a KMAC from kbdmod.com, but cannot figure out how to create an account for the life of me (or even if they will ship to USA), so proxy seems to be my only option for buying a KMAC.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8244 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 22:52:34 »
Does anyone know of a trusted Korean proxy? I am specifically trying to purchase a KMAC from kbdmod.com, but cannot figure out how to create an account for the life of me (or even if they will ship to USA), so proxy seems to be my only option for buying a KMAC.
You could try asking one of our Korean members nicely. I'm sure they'd be willing to help.
github

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8245 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 22:59:35 »
You could try asking one of our Korean members nicely. I'm sure they'd be willing to help.

Er... how do I go about finding said members? (Just browse forum posts? Can anyone think of any nice Korean members off the top of their head?)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8246 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 23:40:48 »

Er... how do I go about finding said members? (Just browse forum posts? Can anyone think of any nice Korean members off the top of their head?)

You could start a new thread, or perhaps have a look here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57258.msg1299375#msg1299375
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ajx

« Reply #8247 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 02:16:40 »
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Pure-60-Programmable-Mechanical-Keyboard-Red-MX-Switch-/331057414849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d148f42c1

Stock-on Keycaps: ABS (OEM profile)

Does it mean lettering could be an issue with wearing off?
Not particular true, in my case, i got Poker X and Pure, and on both, some letters wore off quite quickly

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8248 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 02:51:56 »
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Pure-60-Programmable-Mechanical-Keyboard-Red-MX-Switch-/331057414849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d148f42c1

Stock-on Keycaps: ABS (OEM profile)

Does it mean lettering could be an issue with wearing off?
Not particular true, in my case, i got Poker X and Pure, and on both, some letters wore off quite quickly

Those stock keycaps are pad-printed and may-or-may-not have as issue with the legends wearing depending on a number of factors.

Offline combataran

« Reply #8249 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 05:33:06 »
Is there enough clearance for a foam sheet under the Filco pcb, and do I have to desolder everything if I wanted to lube, respring and sticker the switches(of the Filco)?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database