Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555808 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #8150 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 08:12:40 »
It seems similar to the very old punch-card stations.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8151 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 08:26:14 »
I'm with Cpt on this one.  My guess would be Honeywell just due to the sphericals and having all the profiles for a full curve instead of the alphas being the one profile.  That and the narrow "big ass" enter key.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #8152 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 08:26:31 »
I'm pretty sure it's a Zenith terminal of some sort. I just need to identify the specific model. :)

Probably a Z-100?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8153 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 08:38:03 »
Can anyone identify this terminal keyboard?

Show Image

The keyboard looks identical to this one: http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/zenith-100-original/DSC01148.JPG

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8154 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 08:39:23 »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8155 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 08:41:16 »
Good catch.

Not exactly the same model though :(

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8156 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 08:48:08 »
Good catch.

Not exactly the same model though :(

Help us to see the differences. After a quick inspection it is not clear to me that they are different.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8157 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 08:51:44 »
Help us to see the differences. After a quick inspection it is not clear to me that they are different.

Everything above the keyboard is different. On JDs photo the screen is directly attached to the computer and keyboard, on mine it is removable and has a beige-grey border, not a black one.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #8158 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 08:58:09 »
Yes, I think it's quite similar to this one:

In the image I captured, you can make out the faint Zenith logo at the bottom, so I know it's not a Z-120. Looks like member jacobolus found a Z-100 keyboard on ebay, according to his post here, and it has vintage tee Alps switches.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8159 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 09:28:31 »
...Zenith logo at the bottom, so I know it's not a Z-120...

What you think is the logo is a reflection from the recessed bezel, the logo is actually above, so it's most likely a Z-120. Here's what I mean:
66788-066790-1

Offline Larken

« Reply #8160 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 09:34:52 »
I think z-100 was the general term used to capture both zenith 110 and 120 systems - which was basically the same computer, sold as pre-assembled version of some old pc kit. The difference being that 110 was 'low-profile', meaning no internal monitor. z120 is the version (same internals) with the crt built-in, sold as a all in one solution.

The one in your picture should be a z-120. I'm curious as to how you determined its not a z -120?
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #8161 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 09:56:04 »
I think z-100 was the general term used to capture both zenith 110 and 120 systems - which was basically the same computer, sold as pre-assembled version of some old pc kit. The difference being that 110 was 'low-profile', meaning no internal monitor. z120 is the version (same internals) with the crt built-in, sold as a all in one solution.

The one in your picture should be a z-120. I'm curious as to how you determined its not a z -120?

It most likely is a Z-120, as BlueBär pointed out. What I thought was the Zenith logo at the bottom was just a reflection.

in memoriam

Offline JunkFace

« Reply #8162 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 12:08:28 »
I'm looking to buy a 6u spacebar and and stabilizer.  It's got to have the offset stems (not sure if they're all like this).  Anyone know where I can pick one/some up?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #8163 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 12:21:05 »
I'm looking to buy a 6u spacebar and and stabilizer.  It's got to have the offset stems (not sure if they're all like this).  Anyone know where I can pick one/some up?

You can find some in SPs inventory: http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/inventory/spacebar-inventory

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #8164 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 13:43:49 »
Why pink puple Capt?
I noticed that you do have kinda off a fetiche per pink ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8165 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 13:45:14 »
Why pink puple Capt?

I just like pink and purple. No other reason than that.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #8166 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 13:58:38 »
Why pink puple Capt?

I just like pink and purple. No other reason than that.
And the Hellokitty?
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8167 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 13:59:20 »
And the Hellokitty?

My love for Hello Kitty is an extension of a running joke within my family.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #8168 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 15:44:53 »
Do the Mechanicalkeyboard.com Ergodox cases come with the plate mounts? I'm not sure if that's what you call them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8169 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 16:10:27 »
Do the Mechanicalkeyboard.com Ergodox cases come with the plate mounts? I'm not sure if that's what you call them.

Plate mounted switches or the plate? I'm not sure what you're asking.

Offline divito

« Reply #8170 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 23:19:05 »
I'm considering a project that will incorporate a 60% PCB. Outside of SPRIT, what's the cheapest/easiest way to get a 60% PCB?

If it made financial sense, I'd get the PCB and then switches from MK, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure that's reasonable. I think outside of that, I'd have to settle for paying straight up for a Poker.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8171 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 00:28:42 »
I'm considering a project that will incorporate a 60% PCB. Outside of SPRIT, what's the cheapest/easiest way to get a 60% PCB?

If it made financial sense, I'd get the PCB and then switches from MK, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure that's reasonable. I think outside of that, I'd have to settle for paying straight up for a Poker.

Cheapest would probably be the enabler in my signature.  It is a lot more soldering as the PCBs are single switch only.  You would also need a controller and the switches need to be plate mounted.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8172 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 21:59:33 »
Will the Ducky Shine 3 TKL fit in any custom cases?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8173 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 22:06:46 »
Will the Ducky Shine 3 TKL fit in any custom cases?

Erm...I'm actually not sure about this. AFAIK, I don't think so.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8174 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 22:23:14 »
On a similar note, does anyone know where I can buy an unassembled custom TKL with aluminum casing currently? (I'm okay with waiting on an ongoing GB, just would like to receive keyboard within a year at most, soon better though).

Only place I can think of gonskeyboardworks but I'm not completely sold on the exposed switch look, and the only group buy I can think of is Sprit's round 2 but the aluminum casing for that is only the back and sides - in between the arrow keys and alphas and the home/end/pgdown/pgup cluster is just plate, not case.

Something like a KMAC 2 or Phantom with a metal case would be nice.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8175 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 22:41:10 »
On a similar note, does anyone know where I can buy an unassembled custom TKL with aluminum casing currently? (I'm okay with waiting on an ongoing GB, just would like to receive keyboard within a year at most, soon better though).

Only place I can think of gonskeyboardworks but I'm not completely sold on the exposed switch look, and the only group buy I can think of is Sprit's round 2 but the aluminum casing for that is only the back and sides - in between the arrow keys and alphas and the home/end/pgdown/pgup cluster is just plate, not case.

vortex case+phantom

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #8176 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 23:20:35 »

vortex case+phantom

Vortex case has been out of stock on mk for quite a while  :(

I don't know of any other suppliers for the case, and I'd rather not buy this on Classifieds (probably not best pricing, a little more risky, and low chance of even finding the case).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8177 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 07:29:22 »

vortex case+phantom

Vortex case has been out of stock on mk for quite a while  :(

I don't know of any other suppliers for the case, and I'd rather not buy this on Classifieds (probably not best pricing, a little more risky, and low chance of even finding the case).

I don't know if you'll find what you want anywhere else besides the classifieds. The Phantom PCB will fit any case a Filco fits. I've seen four cases that will fit the phantom but Vortex is the only metal one.

You can try finding an older Poker X or Pure. I think there's some LZ PCBs that would fit your criteria and GON may have some PCBs you can use. If you're really lucky, you can try looking to see if anyone is selling their GH60 Rev A or B PCBs. There are a few out there.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 07:31:52 by CPTBadAss »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8178 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 07:58:26 »

What is the problem with Sprite's? I am considering to get it, not sure because of the price though. I am not sure if I saw one 60% pcb at massdrop recently.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8179 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 08:16:32 »
What is the problem with Sprit's? I am considering to get it, not sure because of the price though. I am not sure if I saw one 60% pcb at massdrop recently.

I don't think massdrop has had a 60%  PCB recently.

Sprit's buy is starting to drag on longer and longer, like the GH60 buy. I don't have anything against him, he's a nice guy, just worried about the delivery schedule. I've only seen springs so far from him.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8180 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:03:52 »
Sprit's buy is starting to drag on longer and longer, like the GH60 buy. I don't have anything against him, he's a nice guy, just worried about the delivery schedule. I've only seen springs so far from him.
Except there have been two rounds in sprits GB. He's already shipping the first round, and plenty of people have received their PCBs.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8181 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:04:34 »
Except there have been two rounds in sprits GB. He's already shipping the first round, and plenty of people have received their PCBs.

I haven't seen anything about shipping so maybe that's why I said that. Usually stuff pops up in the What did you get in the Mail thread and I've not seen anything from sprit's buys besides the springs that I mentioned before.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:07:17 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8182 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:11:34 »
People have definitely received PCBs from sprit. Infiniti is one I can think of off the top of my head, and he got his in April.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57617.0
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8183 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:16:42 »
People have definitely received PCBs from sprit. Infiniti is one I can think of off the top of my head, and he got his in April.

Hm, I did see that one before. Forgot about it. I've had Ninjadoc tell me that he bought PCBs in Round 1 and has received nothing; no updates or parts. Maybe I'm biased because of this.

I guess I'll just ignore my skepticism and believe you.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8184 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:17:59 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56822.0

infiniti

and

swill

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58969.0

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #8185 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 09:18:38 »

Mine and jdcarpe's PCB's have been shipped from Sprit, and I know Riotonthebay got his a while back as well.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #8186 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 10:43:51 »
naokira has his FaceW too. My order piggybacked with his. ;)

jorgenslee also has his FaceW kit.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8187 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 11:34:19 »
Space bar from a g80 HUBUS, does it have normal stem spacing or funky Cherry spacing?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8188 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 11:37:07 »
Space bar from a g80 HUBUS, does it have normal stem spacing or funky Cherry spacing?

I'm not sure, since you didn't give the full model number, but you can reference this DT Wiki article.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8189 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 11:52:12 »
Hmm, appreciate the link but didn't see the model listed. It's g80 8113 HUBUS. I searched around GH and I believe it has a standard spacebar,  but if anyone can confirm, that would be great.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8190 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 11:53:44 »
Hmm, appreciate the link but didn't see the model listed. It's g80 8113 HUBUS. I searched around GH and I believe it has a standard spacebar,  but if anyone can confirm, that would be great.

I have a G80-8100 at home. I'll check when I'm home and post a picture. My gut tells me that it's not a standard stem spacing.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #8191 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 11:55:14 »
If it's a 6.25 then it should have an off centre middle stem, just like all other Cherry 6.25s..
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8192 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 11:56:41 »
If it's a 6.25 then it should have an off centre middle stem, just like all other Cherry 6.25s..

Yeah that's exactly my thought process. I've never seen a standard stem spacing on OG Cherry caps. But I'll definitely double check later.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #8193 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 12:11:07 »
Hmm ok, thanks guys.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8194 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 16:07:23 »
What is the problem with Sprit's? I am considering to get it, not sure because of the price though. I am not sure if I saw one 60% pcb at massdrop recently.

I don't think massdrop has had a 60%  PCB recently.

Mm, it makes the offer less interesting. It is a shame, it looks like a nice PCB and plate.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8195 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 18:30:46 »

Yeah that's exactly my thought process. I've never seen a standard stem spacing on OG Cherry caps. But I'll definitely double check later.

The answer, according to this G80-8113 spacebar, is no. The stem spacing is *not* standard.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8196 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:22:36 »

Show Image

The answer, according to this G80-8113 spacebar, is no. The stem spacing is *not* standard.

Could someone elaborate on the reasoning behind non standard stems positions?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8197 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:23:33 »
cherry logic

I think its something to do with 7x bars and using the same pcbs, sorta like g81 bottom row

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8198 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:34:27 »
cherry logic

I think its something to do with 7x bars and using the same pcbs, sorta like g81 bottom row

That explanation makes sense, to get a warrant for it someone should compare the PCBs on various models with different space bar's lengths and check the stems positions between them.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #8199 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:35:03 »
cherry logic

That explanation makes sense, to get a warrant for it someone should compare the PCBs on various models with different space bar's lengths and check the stems positions between them.

I did that, some parts match up, some don't. Its so weird