Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553856 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #10850 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 22:31:52 »
Stamps.com is great, and worth the cost if you ship a lot.  When I first started using it maybe 8 months ago, I had a few questions, so if you have questions feel free to ask (I'm not sure how many users there are on here).  I'm no expert, but I have a bit of experience.

I enjoyed my trial period with Stamps.com as well. Easy to use app, good for bulk packages, and great customer service. I just don't ship enough packages consistently to warrant the monthly payment.

Someone needs to proxy more GBs and sell more stuff!   :))

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #10851 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 22:59:07 »
Where can I buy a 6.25x space bar wire?  GON's shipping is too much for a little thing like that

I'm in the US.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #10852 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 23:05:03 »
Where can I buy a 6.25x space bar wire?  GON's shipping is too much for a little thing like that

I'm in the US.

I needed a space bar wire when I bought my JD40 and I ended up just making my own.  Got great results with some music wire and a wire bender I bought at a hobby store, took about 10 minutes.
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10853 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 23:37:52 »
I'd hate to, for example, buy a Teensy 3.0 if it won't work with the Teensy 2.0 firmware I plan to use.

Soarer's stuff is for the 2.0

It is my understanding that the 3x series runs at a different voltage not suitable for USB keyboards.
Teensy 3 uses 3.3v or 5v depending on how you mod it. It's useful for keyboards, haata's code runs on it.

teensy 3 uses an ARM chip teensy 2 and ++ use atmel atmega chips. ARM is a different architechure so most code that runs on teensy2 and ++ will not run on Teensy 3

Soarer's stuff is for the 2.0

It is my understanding that the 3x series runs at a different voltage not suitable for USB keyboards.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if there is a difference between the 2.0 and 2.0++ other than the additional IO sockets?
Teensy 3 uses a different chip, so firmware has to be made specifically for it. Soarers runs on Teensy++ but many others only run on teensy 2.

Functionally the biggest difference is the more io pins but there are other differences too (more RAM, etc.)

Is first class international the best option for shipping keycaps overseas? When making labels on USPS.com, it only ever shows priority mail.  And if so, are bubble mailers safe? I'm scared at the thought of them getting crushed somewhere in transit and them arriving to the buyer in pieces.   :'(
fcm-I is usually only a little bit cheaper than priority for international, takes longer and doesn't come with insurance. I recommend priority.

Will any plate work with a KMAC PCB, or do I need a KMAC specific plate?

Same question but about cases as well.
KMAC 1 and LE plate is sandwiched between the case, so it's specific to KMAC. KMAC 2 can be PCB mounted in which case the plate will work only if it has holes in the proper locations for screws.

In short: probably not.

About cases: if you got a plate for the case, KMAC PCB will work only if the USB is in the right location on the case.

In short: probably not.

If you had a specific case in mind you can easily tell by looking at the location of the KMAC USB jack and the USB hole location of the case. If you find one that matches, get some dimensions or location of the USB hole in which case it may work.

Note that the kmac 1 and LE PCB does not have holes in it to screw down to a case like most custom cases

I'm in the US.

I got some from whiskeytango. maybe he has more.

I need to order more of them: they are popular!
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 December 2014, 23:46:11 by dorkvader »

Offline ithinkimkorean

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10855 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:24:36 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pcs-3mm-2pin-White-Round-top-Diffused-LED-Ships-from-USA-/281440400772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418727b584

Are these fine for keyboards?
You may have to grind down an edge  so that the LEDs don't bind against the caps. You can look up some examples on GH. But they should work fine.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10856 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:40:04 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pcs-3mm-2pin-White-Round-top-Diffused-LED-Ships-from-USA-/281440400772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418727b584

Are these fine for keyboards?
You may have to grind down an edge  so that the LEDs don't bind against the caps. You can look up some examples on GH. But they should work fine.

From my experience 3mm round will work fine with thin caps such as DCS and most stock abs caps.  Most thick caps will have some interference that can be fixed with a bit of work with some sandpaper or a file.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #10857 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 15:53:25 »
is a KMAC PCB compatible with any other cases?
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 December 2014, 15:57:25 by rockhawksam »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10858 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 16:42:10 »
is a KMAC PCB compatible with any other cases?
As long as the USB port is in the right place
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline cypherzion751

« Reply #10859 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 18:21:34 »
Where can I get an aluminum body and plate for my Ducky Shine 2 full size keyboard?  If it has to be custom, any recommendations on where to get it from? Thanks

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #10860 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 18:49:27 »
Is the KBParadise V60 Mechanical Keyboard (Matias Quiet Click) compatible with 60% Aluminum Case - Blue (Tex)?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=987

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=627

Also is mechanicalkeyboards.com the cheapest place to get both of these?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #10861 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 18:50:43 »
Is the KBParadise V60 Mechanical Keyboard (Matias Quiet Click) compatible with 60% Aluminum Case - Blue (Tex)?

99% sure not compatible. That was one of the objections brought up in their original thread.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10862 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 19:05:47 »
Where can I get an aluminum body and plate for my Ducky Shine 2 full size keyboard?  If it has to be custom, any recommendations on where to get it from? Thanks

You'll have to design one yourself or commission one. There aren't any drop in cases or plates AFAIK.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10863 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 20:50:06 »

You'll have to design one yourself or commission one. There aren't any drop in cases or plates AFAIK.

++

there are no full alu cases for any ducky keyboard at current
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MGH

« Reply #10864 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 21:29:20 »

99% sure not compatible. That was one of the objections brought up in their original thread.
Aww...guess I'll go with the stock plastic case.

Offline MGH

« Reply #10865 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 15:54:30 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10866 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 16:29:45 »
Can anyone confirm what kind of keycaps this keyboard has?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-POS-Programmable-Keyboard-w-Card-Reader-PS2-Black-G817000HPCUS2-NIB-/181605986088

MY.

It says it on the back label.

Still good for the caps, though.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10867 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 17:15:05 »
Can anyone confirm what kind of keycaps this keyboard has?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-POS-Programmable-Keyboard-w-Card-Reader-PS2-Black-G817000HPCUS2-NIB-/181605986088

MY.

It says it on the back label.

Still good for the caps, though.

He asked for what keycaps, not switches.

The label says G81-7000HPCUS. The H means it's doubleshot ABS caps on the board.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10868 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 17:31:05 »
Oh, my mistake.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10869 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 20:10:49 »
Occasionally, I see someone mention how much they love their Korean keyboard.  I've searched but I haven't found anything enlightening regarding Korean keyboard manufacturers.  Deskthority has a thread about OTD keyboards but it doesn't really answer my questions.  So, what characteristics set Korean keyboards apart from other keyboards; i.e. what makes Korean keyboards so special? 

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10870 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 20:26:30 »
Occasionally, I see someone mention how much they love their Korean keyboard.  I've searched but I haven't found anything enlightening regarding Korean keyboard manufacturers.  Deskthority has a thread about OTD keyboards but it doesn't really answer my questions.  So, what characteristics set Korean keyboards apart from other keyboards; i.e. what makes Korean keyboards so special?
Metal cases and plates, high quality PCBs, generally good overall build quality. Part of the high cost also comes from the small runs they do

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10871 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 20:42:54 »
Metal cases and plates, high quality PCBs, generally good overall build quality. Part of the high cost also comes from the small runs they do

Also the DIY aspect of it. Building a keyboard is not a quick task, though it is pretty easy (and putting something together is LOADS of fun).

Consider the fact that when people ask you who made your awesome keyboard, you can say "Oh, that? I built it myself!"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10872 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:03:23 »
Has anyone noticed any other switches with raised stems like this one?

The black stem is from a clone alps switch off some bulgarian board

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10873 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:06:20 »
Show Image

Can I get the measurement for that? I'll check my XM ALPS.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10874 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:09:57 »
Show Image

The orange from case top to stem top is 0.4 cm, black is 0.6 cm

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10875 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:14:49 »
Show Image

My ruler has decided to go missing. I'll bring my 1087 to school tomorrow and check.

I'm interested to see what's up with this.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10876 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:17:33 »

That is not a broken switch?

It must wobble like crazy!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10877 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 21:19:21 »

You know, I thought that it would to, but it's only a tiny bit more than a standard height stem, not really noticeable when doing actual typing.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10878 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 06:20:57 »
Cross post from GH36 thread.

Alright guys I need a touch of help with my GH36.  The key at row 2 col 5 does not want to work.  I checked it by shorting the corresponding pins on the teensy and that works fine.  If I hold down the offending switch nothing else in that row will work, however the rest of the column functions properly.  I really want to minimize desoldering the teensy again I only have 50/50 record so far of not lifting pads on them when removing.  Any ideas on where to start?

If I need to post pics I can.  I have preformed the two cuts and the jumper as suggested by samwisekoi.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10879 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:04:03 »
Alright guys I need a touch of help with my GH36.  The key at row 2 col 5 does not want to work.

Did you replace try replacing the switch completely? Did you check the actual switch with a multimeter to see if your joints were ok?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10880 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:31:44 »
Alright guys I need a touch of help with my GH36.  The key at row 2 col 5 does not want to work.

Did you replace try replacing the switch completely? Did you check the actual switch with a multimeter to see if your joints were ok?

I have not replaced the switch but I did remove and reinstall and checked the switch points with a multimeter.  The wierd part is when that switch is pressed nothing else in the row will register, but does register correctly otherwise.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10881 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:33:30 »
I have not replaced the switch but I did remove and reinstall and checked the switch points with a multimeter.  The wierd part is when that switch is pressed nothing else in the row will register, but does register correctly otherwise.

You may want to resolder the Teensy or at least check the Teensy joints. Sounds like something is off there.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10882 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:50:35 »

You may want to resolder the Teensy or at least check the Teensy joints. Sounds like something is off there.

Did that as well. Had to in order to check the switch since the offending switch is under the teensy.  What are the chances that it is a backwards or bad diode?  The reason I am thinking this route is the behavior of the rest of the row.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10883 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 07:53:15 »
Did that as well. Had to in order to check the switch since the offending switch is under the teensy.  What are the chances that it is a backwards or bad diode?  The reason I am thinking this route is the behavior of the rest of the row.

Couldn't hurt to check.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10884 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 11:50:24 »
Show Image

My ruler has decided to go missing. I'll bring my 1087 to school tomorrow and check.

0.4 average, so the same as the legit ALPS. One was 0.6, but its the broken switch.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10885 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 16:45:32 »

Couldn't hurt to check.

Got it working.  Turns out one of the "trace fixes" wasn't fixed and needed to broke real good.  After that works like a charm.  Now I just need to figure out what the wife wants for an actual layout.

Offline MGH

« Reply #10886 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 22:26:16 »
Are there 60% buckling spring keyboards?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #10887 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 22:26:47 »
The kishsaver

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10888 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 22:32:08 »
The kishsaver
Also known as the IBM 6019284. It was found with the 4704 terminals used in banks.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #10889 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 22:37:54 »
The kishsaver
Also known as the IBM 6019284. It was found with the 4704 terminals used in banks.
There was also that 60% M click clack found, although I don't even think that is worth mentioning without more info on it.

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #10890 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 04:14:59 »
Hello. There are more dusty & dirty in my switch, especially in gold contact. How to clean it? Pls help me

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10891 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 06:00:41 »
Hello. There are more dusty & dirty in my switch, especially in gold contact. How to clean it? Pls help me
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.msg1546039#msg1546039

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10892 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 15:52:26 »
Do Ducky Minis use plate mounted or PCB mounted switches? I'm thinking of a little project for next year...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10893 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 16:15:35 »
Do Ducky Minis use plate mounted or PCB mounted switches? I'm thinking of a little project for next year...

Plate. It's the same PCB as a poker II.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10894 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 16:29:50 »

Plate. It's the same PCB as a poker II.

Sweet. Thanks dude. I think a mini is going to be the chassis for my Cherry Replica set. :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10895 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 18:43:39 »
Anyone know what switches are in an NEC APC-H25?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10896 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 22:15:30 »
Show Image

So just looked up the model on the back, the switches are Tai Hao APC semi mechanical

Offline mozaiq

« Reply #10897 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 02:22:23 »
A quick question regarding keycap profiles: deskthority says for DSA "The keycaps are 0.291" (7.39 mm), the same height as the home row of the OEM profile.", as well as SPs website. However WASD says their caps are OEM but the homerows height is 930mm/800mm. So which is correct? I guess the height numbers are correct, but I was wondering since I wouldn't consider this the same height.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10898 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 04:48:35 »
A quick question regarding keycap profiles: deskthority says for DSA "The keycaps are 0.291" (7.39 mm), the same height as the home row of the OEM profile.", as well as SPs website. However WASD says their caps are OEM but the homerows height is 930mm/800mm. So which is correct? I guess the height numbers are correct, but I was wondering since I wouldn't consider this the same height.

OEM profile is a bit of a misnomer in my opinion. I interpret it as the tall height profile of stock Ducky/CM/Vortex/WASD caps. But I've had OEM caps from Leopold on my 700R that were not OEM or DSA height. Also remember that OEM caps are sculpted.

But that aside, it looks like DSA isn't exactly the same as the OEM home row height

From my own measurements (from base to top face keycap lip) :
DSA = .304"
Ducky OEM = .283" / .330"

Sorry for the potato. DSA on the left and OEM on the right.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 04:53:16 by CPTBadAss »

Offline kohi

« Reply #10899 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 12:10:48 »
quick question about lubing springs - im planning on using victorinox multi tool oil for 62g springs - so should I apply just a little bit to each end of the spring, or is it okay to put them all in a plastic bag + oil - and shake (I think someone wrote in a thread that they used this method as a shortcut?) and if so, what would be a good/okay amount?