Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556633 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13800 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:06:36 »
On a stock HHKB (Pro 2) does fn + z (or any other key that doesn't actually have a mapping on the function layer) send a z, or another keycode, or nothing?

Trying to figure out if I could add additional bindings via Karabiner to expand the function layer.

I do not have an HHKB, but I doubt it.  Function layers are handled at the keyboards firmware level as function dies not send a scan code to the host computer for any keyboard that I know of.  Not saying you can or cant add the functionality you want, but I very much for it will happen on the computer side of things.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Cottser

« Reply #13801 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:20:07 »
On a stock HHKB (Pro 2) does fn + z (or any other key that doesn't actually have a mapping on the function layer) send a z, or another keycode, or nothing?

Trying to figure out if I could add additional bindings via Karabiner to expand the function layer.

I do not have an HHKB, but I doubt it.  Function layers are handled at the keyboards firmware level as function dies not send a scan code to the host computer for any keyboard that I know of.  Not saying you can or cant add the functionality you want, but I very much for it will happen on the computer side of things.

Thanks! I'm new to this world and I know the Matias 60 is supposed to provide this functionality but wasn't sure how common/uncommon it was.

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #13802 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 17:18:02 »
How to remove Cherry MY switches from the metal plate? I want to use the plate so I don't wanna do too much damage

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13803 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 17:41:39 »
How to remove Cherry MY switches from the metal plate? I want to use the plate so I don't wanna do too much damage
MY switches don't work like that. Sorry.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #13804 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:18:46 »
I am relatively new to the community. What's the story behind sadster?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13805 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:23:50 »

It's a play on 'hapster', which is a keycap design originating from listster in 2012.  IIRC, he drew it on as a commentary about the novelty cap craze ("look guys, I made a one-of-a-kind keycap!").  It ended up being produced by SP.  Then it was included as a novelty cap in various sets.

The 'sadster' design (I believe) started as the image that would display for a broken attachment here on geekhack.  i3oilermaker decided to run a group buy for the sadster key earlier this year.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13806 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:33:23 »
It's a play on 'hapster', which is a keycap design originating from listster in 2012.  IIRC, he drew it on as a commentary about the novelty cap craze ("look guys, I made a one-of-a-kind keycap!").  It ended up being produced by SP.  Then it was included as a novelty cap in various sets.

Rare keycap? That's a smilin'

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #13807 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:42:08 »

The 'sadster' design (I believe) started as the image that would display for a broken attachment here on geekhack.  i3oilermaker decided to run a group buy for the sadster key earlier this year.
Thank you! Great to know. I wish I can get a hapster keycap for ALPS someday ;D
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13808 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:50:00 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:57:58 by alienman82 »

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #13809 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:58:55 »
Whats good heatshrink for making custom cables? Bit confused about what size/type I need for this, already bought something far too large, just gonna defer to the experts now...

Offline E3E

« Reply #13810 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:34:03 »
Whats good heatshrink for making custom cables? Bit confused about what size/type I need for this, already bought something far too large, just gonna defer to the experts now...

I'm not an expert per se, but I like making my own cables when I need to because I'm too poor to buy custom cables. :P

Get 3:1 or 4:1 ratio shrink tube, since it really shrinks up and can get a nice hold on your cable and the connector with just one size: 1/2"

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=3%3A%21+shrink+tube&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X3%3A1+shrink+tube.TRS0&_nkw=3%3A1+shrink+tube&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=3%3A1+shrink+tube&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X4%3A1+shrink+tube.TRS0&_nkw=4%3A1+shrink+tube&_sacat=0

Offline mason

« Reply #13811 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:35:05 »

I managed to rip the plastic sheet upward and tear a lot of the switches out at once, but there will be still be annoying little plastic pieces left over.

Ahh that didn't work for me. Right now I'm just pushing the sides through the hole and popping them out

Offline mason

« Reply #13812 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 20:22:10 »
I've found the answer. Stick a flathead under the switch and it'll pop off  :)

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #13813 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 20:46:48 »
i want to ask. what is the difference between stainless plate - aluminum plate - acrylic plate/plastic plate.
i want to try order custom keyboard but dont know pros and cons between those plate.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13814 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:41:23 »
i want to ask. what is the difference between stainless plate - aluminum plate - acrylic plate/plastic plate.
i want to try order custom keyboard but dont know pros and cons between those plate.

Obvious answer: They're different materials

Helpful answer: They give you a different feel. Stainless is heavy and provides a really noticeable change in feedback. To me the feedback is strongest and works it's way down from here. Aluminum is in the middle, it's still metal but much lighter and changes the feeling a bit less. Polymer plates tend to provide minimum change in feeling, almost like it's PCB mount.

Most true in my opinion but least helpful answer: Pick what you like. It's personal preference.

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #13815 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 01:55:38 »

Helpful answer: They give you a different feel. Stainless is heavy and provides a really noticeable change in feedback. To me the feedback is strongest and works it's way down from here. Aluminum is in the middle, it's still metal but much lighter and changes the feeling a bit less. Polymer plates tend to provide minimum change in feeling, almost like it's PCB mount.

Most true in my opinion but least helpful answer: Pick what you like. It's personal preference.

hahaha.
ok now i really like Polymer plate it looks really good with LED.
but sometimes i type really hard when angry especially when playing games(dota).
and im afraid the Polymer plate would break when i type too hard, so.....
will it break when i type too hard? or it just my imagination? xD
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2015, 05:00:04 by gadzkun »

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #13816 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 06:05:55 »

hahaha.
but sometimes i type really hard when angry especially when playing games(dota).

I think you'd be hard pressed to break anything with your typing. If anything a plastic plate would be good for you because it helps "cushion" you bottoming out.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #13817 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 06:38:57 »
http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=99

are these spacebars made by vortex?  and they are cherry profile right?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13818 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 06:40:07 »
More

hahaha.

will it break when i type too hard?

it just my imagination?

I think you answered your own question.

Offline pnoozi

« Reply #13819 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 07:47:26 »
re: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.msg1937143#msg1937143

So the white 28/24awg cable didn't work.  Not sure why.  I had to jam it in at a slight angle due to its thickness, so I cut it down about 1mm with a knife and... it still wouldn't work.  Only some keys worked, typed random characters, etc.  A different black 28/28awg cable works just fine!

Not sure if the white cable didn't work because of the bigger power wire (supplying too much power to the board? idk), or didn't work because it was physically too thick and wouldn't fit snugly.
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (Red)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #13820 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 08:06:44 »

In secret mode it spits out Undo while just 'z' in other modes. To configure secret mode turn on both 1and 2 of DIP switch.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/keyboard/hhkb/doc/HHKB_keycodes.txt

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13821 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 10:38:42 »
Does anybody know where I can find a design to make a USB switch with just a switch from the hardware store?
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13822 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:02:55 »
Does anybody know where I can find a design to make a USB switch with just a switch from the hardware store?

I'm not following this question at all. Could you clarify what you mean?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13823 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:17:37 »

I'm guessing that he is talking about a straight A-B situation. It can probably can be done but not with only 1 switch.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #13824 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 17:57:26 »
Hey yall

I have a RK topre clone and the spring under for the E is pinging hella hard and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. Do I just dismantle the keyboard and pick it out and then lube it? It's the only key that's echoing and it's terrible because E is the most used letter!
So fancy!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13825 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 19:19:49 »
Hey yall

I have a RK topre clone and the spring under for the E is pinging hella hard and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. Do I just dismantle the keyboard and pick it out and then lube it? It's the only key that's echoing and it's terrible because E is the most used letter!
You can only lube the area where the stem slides in and out. Capacitive boards aren't like cherry MX.

Not sure that'll fix anything, I've noticed my royal kludge pings to but I haven't tried fixing it yet.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2015, 19:22:21 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #13826 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 19:40:46 »

I'm guessing that he is talking about a straight A-B situation. It can probably can be done but not with only 1 switch.
Well couldn't you just cut the power wire?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #13827 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 19:55:20 »

If you have a 4PDT make-before-break relay, you could control it with a simple toggle switch.

But if you're just talking about a switch, you're not going to find a 4-pole switch at a hardware store.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline captaineleven

« Reply #13828 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 20:59:27 »

You can only lube the area where the stem slides in and out. Capacitive boards aren't like cherry MX.

Not sure that'll fix anything, I've noticed my royal kludge pings to but I haven't tried fixing it yet.

Hmm ok. I guess I'll keep looking into it. It's just annoying because it's just the one. Thanks for the answer, though!
So fancy!

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #13829 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 00:25:57 »
More

hahaha.

will it break when i type too hard?

it just my imagination?

I think you answered your own question.

hahaha yay~ now im 100% sure to take polymer plate. ty for the answer :-*

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #13830 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 21:09:10 »

I have a toggle switch similar to this:  https://s3-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parts-express.com%2FData%2FDefault%2FImages%2FCatalog%2FOriginal%2F060-335_HR_0.jpg&sp=7588b807fc43f7b767a5ee7953f27c0b 
I was wondering if there is a way that I could turn this into a switch to send input to my computer via USB. 
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #13831 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 23:27:51 »

I have a toggle switch similar to this:  https://s3-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parts-express.com%2FData%2FDefault%2FImages%2FCatalog%2FOriginal%2F060-335_HR_0.jpg&sp=7588b807fc43f7b767a5ee7953f27c0b 
I was wondering if there is a way that I could turn this into a switch to send input to my computer via USB.
Sure, use a microcontroller with that switch on an input. I would use a Teensy or Pro Micro.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #13832 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 06:10:20 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57244.msg1458876#msg1458876

Anyone know what aluminum kustom that this? 
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13834 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:27:39 »
There are websites like builder.swillkb.com to make plate designs, but how do I design a PCB and how do I make them? I don't even know anything about PCBs.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #13835 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 19:37:59 »
Other than desoldering every single switch, is there a way to get a Falbatech plate-mounted Ergodox into a litster style case? I have an Ergodox mounted to a Falbatech plate and I really hate this flimsy PVC case it's in. Unfortunately it's the only case compatible with the Falbatech plate.

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #13836 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 22:01:16 »
Any idea where I can get a custom aluminium plate with my own design?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13837 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 22:29:17 »

At your local laser cutting workshop?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #13838 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 22:35:59 »
BigBlueSaw is popular for their water jet cutting service. They have an account here, and they can work up a quote from a file output from swill's plate builder app.

in memoriam

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #13839 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 00:02:11 »
At your local laser cutting workshop?

I emailed them and they never got back to me sigh :(

BigBlueSaw is popular for their water jet cutting service. They have an account here, and they can work up a quote from a file output from swill's plate builder app.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 November 2015, 00:13:14 by kakakowie »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13840 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 06:47:46 »
There are websites like builder.swillkb.com to make plate designs, but how do I design a PCB and how do I make them? I don't even know anything about PCBs.

You'll need at least some knowledge of electrical work before you start designing your own PCBs. Try out PCBWeb or FreePCB. Custom PCB designs can be expensive to manufacture, especially for a one-off, so you might also need to do a GB in order to recoup some of your costs.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #13841 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 07:49:42 »
Probably not a great question,
but where can I find the printable test sheet for keycaps?  :)

Much thankies in advance, fellow space travelers! <3

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #13842 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 08:10:58 »
Probably not a great question,
but where can I find the printable test sheet for keycaps?  :)

Much thankies in advance, fellow space travelers! <3

Here ya go (from: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_HHH):

Q: Where can I find the sheet that people use to check their keycap layouts?

inlikeflynn posted a 11x17" and 8x11" file, which looks like the "official GeekHack one" (Laminated sheets were once sold in a GH Pack sold by Techkeys as shown in mashby's post). Samwisekoi also posted one he made for a sheet of 8x11" and A4 here. Mr. Chunky also has a .pdf.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #13843 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 12:14:53 »
Where do people tend to buy/find Cherry corp keyboards in good condition? I'm trying to find a few but I'm having a hard time.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13844 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 13:04:53 »
Where do people tend to buy/find Cherry corp keyboards in good condition? I'm trying to find a few but I'm having a hard time.

The G80-11900 is a good one (MX black with small old-style touchpad) that is often available pretty cheap.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #13845 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 21:50:25 »
Where would I get a 7u cherry stab wire? classifieds? an online store somewhere? Make one myself?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13846 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 22:05:38 »
Where would I get a 7u cherry stab wire? classifieds? an online store somewhere? Make one myself?

If you find one by itself (wire only) let me know and maybe we can split shipping

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13847 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 08:41:54 »
Other than desoldering every single switch, is there a way to get a Falbatech plate-mounted Ergodox into a litster style case? I have an Ergodox mounted to a Falbatech plate and I really hate this flimsy PVC case it's in. Unfortunately it's the only case compatible with the Falbatech plate.

Only thing I can think of is to design and cut your own.

Typically PCBs are hand traced or designed in KiCAD. Currently, I don't think there's an equivalent of swill's site for PCBs. You can always just handwire the board if you don't want to mess with a PCB.

eBay has always been my go to.

Um...I *think* that MK.com might have some for sale now. I'm not 100% sure though. At one point, imsto and GON had them for sale too. Otherwise, the classifieds or DIY.

http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=99

are these spacebars made by vortex?  and they are cherry profile right?

No idea. The brand says "Others" and I can't see the profile from those two pictures.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 08:44:19 by CPTBadAss »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13848 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 12:42:38 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:56:03 by alienman82 »

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #13849 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:28:37 »
My c on my HHKB refuses to capitalise when I hold any of the shift keys, is there a setting or something I'm missing here every other key capitalises fine, just not c but otherwise works as a normal lower case letter
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More