Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554040 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #14050 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:32:36 »
SketchUp file to either STEP, IGS or PARASOLID?

STEP
I meant to ask a slightly different question: how to get a SketchUp file to either STEP, IGS or PARASOLID?

Oh, haha. Couldn't tell ya, sorry.

I don't think there is any, well not that I found a while ago.  This was the biggest reason why I quit using that program.

What did you move to? I want to keep designing but don't want to pay for anything.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14051 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:33:25 »
What did you move to? I want to keep designing but don't want to pay for anything.

FreeCad seems to be a popular option here. I highly suggest trying to get something like AutoCAD or Inventor from Autodesk which are free.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #14052 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:45:06 »
If you are a student you can also get AutoDesk software for free for three years.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14053 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 15:45:54 »
If you are a student you can also get AutoDesk software for free for three years.

They don't check for an .edu account so you can get it if you tell them you're a student. Which....in a non-traditional way, you are in this case.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #14054 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:50:55 »
I do cad work for a living, if people need help with things just shoot me a pm, i'd be happy to look over peoples models, and I Have quite a few designs myself for things, just the stupid process of getting them made is what kills me.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14055 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 20:59:39 »

STEP
I meant to ask a slightly different question: how to get a SketchUp file to either STEP, IGS or PARASOLID?

I don't think there is any, well not that I found a while ago.  This was the biggest reason why I quit using that program.

I personally moved to the student version of SolidWorks, but I am part of a loophole that can get it for $20 with veterans discount.  With that I have to email them a copy of my discharge paperwork, so that process takes a couple extra days.  But I get a physical CD in the mail, which I prefer.  But it doesn't come with any tech support, updates, is only a one year license, there are some features blocked, and technically you can't use it for commercial work.  Though I think the standard rate for the student version is either $100 or $150.  The other thing to consider, the current SolidWorks student edition will not even install on Win 10.  That won't happen until SP5, my version is 2.0 and I got it a couple months ago.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #14056 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 21:27:46 »
GMK do a key that has a "JOKER" legend on it - where would this key have come from and what sort of purpose would it serve on a keyboard?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #14057 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 21:30:34 »

STEP

I personally moved to the student version of SolidWorks, but I am part of a loophole that can get it for $20 with veterans discount.  With that I have to email them a copy of my discharge paperwork, so that process takes a couple extra days.  But I get a physical CD in the mail, which I prefer.  But it doesn't come with any tech support, updates, is only a one year license, there are some features blocked, and technically you can't use it for commercial work.  Though I think the standard rate for the student version is either $100 or $150.  The other thing to consider, the current SolidWorks student edition will not even install on Win 10.  That won't happen until SP5, my version is 2.0 and I got it a couple months ago.
I just ordered my veteran's student edition today. I really hope it installs on Windows 10, as I don't have anything else. I didn't know the regular student edition sold for $150; I thought they were always $20.

I'm looking forward to learning Solidworks, but damn are they proud of their software. Autodesk gives their stuff to students for free. And they are the industry standard.

I looked into getting Solidworks to replace AutoCAD at work, and the quote for a single seat license was in the thousands. Just wow. Now the sales guy won't leave me alone.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14058 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 01:35:48 »

STEP

I just ordered my veteran's student edition today. I really hope it installs on Windows 10, as I don't have anything else. I didn't know the regular student edition sold for $150; I thought they were always $20.

I'm looking forward to learning Solidworks, but damn are they proud of their software. Autodesk gives their stuff to students for free. And they are the industry standard.

I looked into getting Solidworks to replace AutoCAD at work, and the quote for a single seat license was in the thousands. Just wow. Now the sales guy won't leave me alone.

Unless they updated to a newer service pack since I ordered mine, it won't even install.  It has to do with the .NET framework iirc.  Could setup a dual boot.  For this school year version, support for Win 10 won't begin until SP5.  But next years version is slated for full support.

Also, if I remember correct, unlimited installs enterprise version of SolidWorks was in the realm of $43,000 as of about 3 years ago.  Yeah they are proud of their work, but it is very nice software.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #14059 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 07:49:08 »
GMK do a key that has a "JOKER" legend on it - where would this key have come from and what sort of purpose would it serve on a keyboard?

To my knowledge GMK does not do any custom legends. If this is GMK it might have been a proof of concept..?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14060 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 08:00:51 »

To my knowledge GMK does not do any custom legends. If this is GMK it might have been a proof of concept..?

It's a legend they have molds for. Not sure of the history of the key but I know Ivan first introduced it as a surprise for his GMK Dolch buy.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14061 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 08:50:06 »
Any link for a picture of the Joker key?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14062 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 08:54:03 »

Literally on the same page as I linked in the previous reply is a picture. Scroll up slightly.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14063 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 08:58:05 »

Literally on the same page as I linked in the previous reply is a picture. Scroll up slightly.

I found it, thank you, it is a row 1 one, isn't it?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14064 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 08:59:58 »

I found it, thank you, it is a row 1 one, isn't it?

I think so yeah.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14065 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 09:01:55 »
Anyone has had experience with the Cherry silencers?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14066 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 09:32:18 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:49:50 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14067 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 09:36:05 »

mason has them

Is mason a user or a vendor or something? A little cryptic there...

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #14068 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 09:44:19 »

mason has them

Is mason a user or a vendor or something? A little cryptic there...

A member. ;)

He posted a typing video: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55910.msg1947675#msg1947675

Unless :triangle: those masons

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #14069 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 12:43:48 »
To be clear, those are the QMX switch tops and not the silenced Cherry switches that only Corsair keyboards will be featuring.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14070 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 13:11:35 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:49:45 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14071 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 13:18:02 »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #14072 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:10:44 »
Are all IBM Model M/F keycaps PBT?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14073 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 17:11:42 »
Are all IBM Model M/F keycaps PBT?

Yes

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #14074 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 09:20:04 »
Do Topre switch blockers exist?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14075 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 09:24:31 »
Do Topre switch blockers exist?

Not that I'm aware of

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14076 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 10:01:47 »
Can someone good with CAD finish my model for me? I think it'll take less than 10 minutes. :-[

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14077 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 10:14:37 »
Can someone good with CAD finish my model for me? I think it'll take less than 10 minutes. :-[

You may post at the making stuff together sub-forum, with what you already have, and let interested people that can help to join the thread.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14078 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 10:33:14 »

You may post at the making stuff together sub-forum, with what you already have, and let interested people that can help to join the thread.
Shameless plug :-\

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14079 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 10:51:43 »

Shameless plug :-\

Ah that is the acrylic case, well you already have the thread, but with no reference there was not clear that was you.

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #14080 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 10:43:49 »
Is there a way to switch \| and ~` on the HHKB? I've looked in Karabiner, but didn't find anything.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #14081 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 10:55:37 »
I'm on my phone and trying to find threads for help in making a mould and casting a keycap but I'm not having much luck. Would anybody be able to send a link or two my way?
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14082 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 11:15:46 »
I'm on my phone and trying to find threads for help in making a mould and casting a keycap but I'm not having much luck. Would anybody be able to send a link or two my way?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67898
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67744
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62696
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46284
http://imgur.com/a/nPuMY

These are the links I have saved when I eventually invest.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #14083 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:10:01 »
Perfect! Thanks the help.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #14084 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 17:21:14 »
For keyset GBs, are you pretty much stuck with a manufacturer that already has the keyset moulds such as SP and GMK?  Or are there any freely available designs that can be used with any manufacturer that does plastic moulding?
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14085 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 17:57:57 »
For keyset GBs, are you pretty much stuck with a manufacturer that already has the keyset moulds such as SP and GMK?  Or are there any freely available designs that can be used with any manufacturer that does plastic moulding?

The manufacturer has to have the molds for the caps for the injection molding process.  There have been group buys to fund specific size and shape molds that manufacturers didn't have.  But those molds are north of $3000 per cap size and row profile.  This quote iirc came from SP.  They do seem to be much more willing to do custom stuff like that along with custom colors for much lower MOQs than GMK.  In fact GMK just cut their MOQ for custom key sets not to long ago by half.  It used to be 500 sets iirc here.

The reason molds are so expensive is tolerances needed for a quality product.  Tolerances are what cost money.  For example here is a quote from Sherlines FAQ.  "The tools we make are as accurate as you can build them without expensive grinding and heat treating. We have well over a million dollars invested in state-of-the-art CNC machine tools and tooling to mass produce accurate parts. To increase the accuracy less than 1% would increase the cost by a factor of 10."

Another image showing some more numbers. 

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #14086 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 19:48:35 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67898
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67744
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62696
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46284
http://imgur.com/a/nPuMY

These are the links I have saved when I eventually invest.

Thanks for the links. I'll be looking at these as well.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #14087 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 23:58:39 »
Is there a way to switch \| and ~` on the HHKB? I've looked in Karabiner, but didn't find anything.

i thought AutoHotKey could do that kind of stuff?
(sorry if i'm wrong, never used it myself.)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #14088 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:16:58 »

i thought AutoHotKey could do that kind of stuff?
(sorry if i'm wrong, never used it myself.)

Looks like that's windows only :\

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14089 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:54:13 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:46:51 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14090 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:56:22 »
Would it be possible to due some blank hhkb caps to match ctrl alts toxic?  Have a special artisan on the way

To due? I don't think there's any caps that are out on the market to buy right now with that color but you could see if one of the many cap makers would make you a custom set. You could also try and find the Topre MX stems.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14091 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:36:58 »
He meant dye yo

answer is yea but you'll have some trouble color matching dyes
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14092 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:38:33 »
He meant dye yo

Ugh my autocorrect detector is off. Going off to the market to replace my faulty module.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14093 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 14:25:52 »
He meant dye yo

Ugh my autocorrect detector is off. Going off to the market to replace my faulty module.

Don't worry, I thought the same thing.  :-X

And yeah it'll be almost impossible to get an exact color match, but you could probably get something you're happy with.  Not sure how well the neon-ish green/yellow would turn out though.

Offline E3E

« Reply #14094 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 14:26:52 »
Would it be possible to due some blank hhkb caps to match ctrl alts toxic?  Have a special artisan on the way

If you find the right dye or can find a good mix of colors, I think you could. Likely need a high ratio of yellow to blue and then you'll get that toxic green!

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #14095 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 22:08:23 »
I recieved a GMK purple modifier set today, and I can faintly see the "backspace" text on the key, but it is an icon only legend. Is this normal?

here is an album I made trying to show this the best I can. I also noticed the "Fn" key legend is a bit more grey than the rest of them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14096 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 22:19:36 »
I recieved a GMK purple modifier set today, and I can faintly see the "backspace" text on the key, but it is an icon only legend. Is this normal?

here is an album I made trying to show this the best I can. I also noticed the "Fn" key legend is a bit more grey than the rest of them.

That cap is a mistake aka ****ed up. Get a replacement.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #14097 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 22:35:38 »

Contacted vendor, can't get individual cap replaced, can only return set as a whole and buy again once re stocked (out of stock now). Kind of bummed since I really wanted the mods, but I do not want to have them with a defective / screwed up cap. Thanks for the quick answer CPTBadAss.

Vendor is now letting me return the defective keys and I will receive new ones once they are in stock
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2015, 22:56:18 by nickheller »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14098 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 06:28:21 »

Contacted vendor, can't get individual cap replaced, can only return set as a whole and buy again once re stocked (out of stock now). Kind of bummed since I really wanted the mods, but I do not want to have them with a defective / screwed up cap. Thanks for the quick answer CPTBadAss.

Vendor is now letting me return the defective keys and I will receive new ones once they are in stock

Kinda tangential, but did someone re-run the Purple Mod set?  O.o

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14099 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 06:34:38 »

Kinda tangential, but did someone re-run the Purple Mod set?  O.o

Feng was selling them.