Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553956 times)

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #14350 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:01:02 »
Are there any HHKB style 60% plates still available somewhere out there.

You can specify an HHKB style bottom row on the new RGB Diffuser case @ Winkeyless. Select B.face and click the checkbox for "Show Layout Options" then the option is under "B.face space row".

I'm sure there's others too, but this was the first one that I could think of.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #14351 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:21:01 »
Is it just me, or does PBT feel better than ABS for those with oily/sweaty fingers? I know PBT resists the oil better (or something along those lines) and ABS has a smoother/slicker feel by default.

How do you clean keycaps? Just dunk them in a water bath? Does the plastic type matter for cleaning method?

I know SA PBT caps aren't out yet, but has there been any more discussion about it? I like the profile, but PBT seems to be what I have to go with.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #14352 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:46:47 »
Is it just me, or does PBT feel better than ABS for those with oily/sweaty fingers? I know PBT resists the oil better (or something along those lines) and ABS has a smoother/slicker feel by default.

How do you clean keycaps? Just dunk them in a water bath? Does the plastic type matter for cleaning method?

I know SA PBT caps aren't out yet, but has there been any more discussion about it? I like the profile, but PBT seems to be what I have to go with.

For cleaning, PBT vs ABS, won't make a difference. Mix a little soapy water and you should be good.
I tend to agree with you about the feel of PBT being much better than ABS, but I love the SA profile... so I just deal with it.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14353 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:54:43 »
I like PBT, I only want a good set of PBT for ALPS switches! Tai-Ho makes two sets of ABS keycaps for ALPS and I have heard Matias was working on some PBT sets.

Only way to get PBT for ALPS is to buy an Apple Extended Keyboard but not all of the keys work and you have to deal with that strange font that won't match the rest of the keys. Some of the SiG granite keyboards also have good PBT keycaps but they can be very expensive. Plus you will basically have a useless keyboard since it uses a proprietary connector, which you either have to buy a hard to find and expensive adapter or make one yourself.

I recently saw a craigslist posting that had a very yellowed Focus FK-2001 but for some reason all of the keycaps were still perfectly white, extremely odd.

Original Formula Mr. Clean or Denture Tabs work quite well. Mr. Clean makes the keycaps smell like lemon!

For cleaning, PBT vs ABS, won't make a difference. Mix a little soapy water and you should be good.
I tend to agree with you about the feel of PBT being much better than ABS, but I love the SA profile... so I just deal with it.

« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 23:56:32 by klennkellon »

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #14354 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 02:36:17 »
For anyone knowledgeable on Model Ms:

Do they all come with green legends on the Alt keys? I want to get two Alt keys with the black legends but don't want Unicomp ones.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14355 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 05:42:03 »

Do they all come with green legends on the Alt keys? I want to get two Alt keys with the black legends but don't want Unicomp ones.
edit: ClickyKeyboards' Lexmark Model M (UK) with a black Alt key.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2016, 05:46:50 by davkol »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #14356 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 07:05:52 »
PBT doesn't yellow over time like ABS tends to. The Apple mechs are a good and cheap source of PBT but they are not the only vintage boards that have Alps PBT. I found a Qtronix (now iOne) that has dye sub or lasered PBT Alps. I know other boards with PBT Alps exist as well.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14357 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 10:37:09 »
Just a heads up on alps caps from the AEK II though.  The space bar is ABS and most times are yellow to some degree that it is noticable from the other caps, and the F key row caps are rotated 90°.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14358 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 13:25:49 »
How can I switch the springs in my WASD V2?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #14359 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 14:00:58 »

You'll have to de-solder the switches and take them out of the plate to open them up.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14360 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:02:25 »

You'll have to de-solder the switches and take them out of the plate to open them up.

**** that

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14361 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:44:48 »

**** that

Unless they're PCB mount or the plate has notches for switch top opening, you'll always have to desolder to be able to open switches
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14362 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:56:27 »

**** that

Unless they're PCB mount or the plate has notches for switch top opening, you'll always have to desolder to be able to open switches

I don't think the WASD boards are that high tech to support switch top opening as of now, never had one myself though.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14363 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 15:57:20 »

**** that

I don't think the WASD boards are that high tech to support switch top opening as of now, never had one myself though.

They don't, no stock boards that I've seen do
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #14364 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:09:32 »
They don't, no stock boards that I've seen do

+1 never seen a stock board support switch top removal.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14365 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:55:32 »
Actually, it's perfectly possible with Alps SKCM (and Matias too, I imagine), but yeah, MX-compatible boards with a plate aren't like that.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #14366 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:14:38 »
Are there any HHKB style 60% plates still available somewhere out there.

You can specify an HHKB style bottom row on the new RGB Diffuser case @ Winkeyless. Select B.face and click the checkbox for "Show Layout Options" then the option is under "B.face space row".

I'm sure there's others too, but this was the first one that I could think of.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14367 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 18:53:33 »

**** that

That's what I presumed, just wanted to check before disappointment.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #14368 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:08:05 »
Anyone know if the V80 Alps has the same mounting points as the V80 MX? If so, is the V80 compatible with TKL aluminum cases? I'm not sure which case but I know I've seen one.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #14369 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 21:10:15 »
Anyone know if the V80 Alps has the same mounting points as the V80 MX? If so, is the V80 compatible with TKL aluminum cases? I'm not sure which case but I know I've seen one.
Been wondering this myself.  When Mechanicalkeyboards.com gets their new shipment of TEX 80%, you can ask them to see if a V80 PCB will fit into one of the cases.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2016, 22:48:17 by CommonCurt »
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14370 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 22:41:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:23:20 by alienman82 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14371 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 22:59:37 »

I have various combinations of dark green, light green and black Alt keys on my Model Ms.

124617-0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #14372 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 04:45:20 »
Know any DSA sets that come with a " |\ "  1U?
Retro is one, Granite is one...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14373 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 09:23:39 »

I have various combinations of dark green, light green and black Alt keys on my Model Ms.

That dark green one looks great. I think all the green ones I have gotten have been the wimpy tone which looks lame.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14374 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 16:40:37 »
What is the dimension for the width of the barrel plate on a 4704 F107?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14375 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 16:57:09 »

Sorry, but even though ""Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich" I just carefully boxed up and stored away my F-107 this afternoon after letting HoffmanMyster and r1n3 fondle it last week.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14376 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:04:46 »

Sorry, but even though ""Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich" I just carefully boxed up and stored away my F-107 this afternoon after letting HoffmanMyster and r1n3 fondle it last week.

Doesn't need to be exact, hell overall width of the whole keyboard will be fine.  Making a Backer board fr cutting mats and want to be wide enough for anything and the F107 is the widest F I can think of.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14377 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:09:10 »
Doesn't need to be exact, hell overall width of the whole keyboard will be fine. 

22" x 9" should handle any of the conventional ones.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14378 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:14:59 »
Doesn't need to be exact, hell overall width of the whole keyboard will be fine. 

22" x 9" should handle any of the conventional ones.

Thanks fohat

I am making stencils right now, just don't have a F107, have AT, XT, Xtant, Unsaver and 122. 

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14379 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:16:17 »

Doesn't need to be exact, hell overall width of the whole keyboard will be fine.  Making a Backer board fr cutting mats and want to be wide enough for anything and the F107 is the widest F I can think of.

EDIT: Centimetres dam it, not millimetres

I just measured my barrel plate and got about 55mm x 13 mm.

PS FU imperial measurment
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:33:52 by fanpeople »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14380 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:22:27 »

You sure that's not cm?  Little over 2 inches by half inch seems a bit small for a full size layout

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14381 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:32:43 »

You sure that's not cm?  Little over 2 inches by half inch seems a bit small for a full size layout

Yeah cm was the intended measurement, I just woke and have not coffeed this morning.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14382 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:35:15 »

Yeah cm was the intended measurement, I just woke and have not coffeed this morning.

I feel the pain

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #14383 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 09:34:05 »
anyone with a RF 23U know if it has a metal plate? I'd imagine it does and from the graphic it seems like it does but I want to confirm.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #14384 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 09:44:40 »
Anyone know if there are meetups in Belgium/The Netherlands? Have yet to find fellow countrymen here and only know a few that share the hobby.
pls gief bbv2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14385 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 10:24:56 »
anyone with a RF 23U know if it has a metal plate? I'd imagine it does and from the graphic it seems like it does but I want to confirm.
Yes it does.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14386 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 19:55:31 »
I found a bottle of this Treadmill Track Lubricant and it says its 100% silicone, could I use this to lube my switches?

It's quite runny, I would say it's the consistency of Elmer's glue

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14387 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 19:57:54 »
I found a bottle of this Treadmill Track Lubricant and it says its 100% silicone, could I use this to lube my switches?

It's quite runny, I would say it's the consistency of Elmer's glue

Ehhh it's generally not recommended to try any old lube in switches. One reason being that you can't really tell how it will react with the housing of the switches. A bottle of Krytox or the Geekhacker's lube that Zeal sells is pretty cheap, I'd recommend just picking up one of them.

Offline E3E

« Reply #14388 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 20:57:52 »
Does anyone know of a good small-scale anodizing shop that can take long-distance orders (ie, mail-in)?

I really want to get my Lightpad anodized to be a nice red color to match my Octagon v1 and my Hammer.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14389 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:02:47 »
Does anyone know of a good small-scale anodizing shop that can take long-distance orders (ie, mail-in)?

I really want to get my Lightpad anodized to be a nice red color to match my Octagon v1 and my Hammer.

I'm investigating a place in my area (for my own needs).  If it goes well and you don't have any leads by that time, I will let you know.  :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14390 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:07:56 »

I'm investigating a place in my area (for my own needs).  If it goes well and you don't have any leads by that time, I will let you know.  :thumb:

I too am looking into a local shop for upcoming projects but I still have some more steps to do before I contact a shop. Will let you know if there is any success.

Offline E3E

« Reply #14391 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:53:15 »

I too am looking into a local shop for upcoming projects but I still have some more steps to do before I contact a shop. Will let you know if there is any success.

Thanks guys, looking forward to hearing the outcome here! Yeah, finding a local shop might be the most immediately convenient, hmm. It'd be nice if a GB  could be run  for anodizing services, though that's far more complicated than most typical GBs with size variation and all the prep work for each board and such.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14392 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 22:09:29 »
Also keep in mind that color can vary due to unforseen circumstances.  Getting close isn't that hard but color matching is next to impossible.  Even long runs of the same parts can vary color from the beginning to the end of the run.

Offline E3E

« Reply #14393 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 02:14:21 »
Also keep in mind that color can vary due to unforseen circumstances.  Getting close isn't that hard but color matching is next to impossible.  Even long runs of the same parts can vary color from the beginning to the end of the run.

I'm certainly not expecting an exact match to the Octagon or the Hammer. I mean, the Octagon itself has a different sheen than the Hammer does. The Hammer is a very vibrant red to an almost dark cherry red in some angles. The Octagon is a more dull of a red that reminds me of a wine red. It's got more pink tones to it and is more flat.

As long as I can get a nice red color that's more on the vibrant end of the spectrum, I'd be happy!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 02:17:16 by E3E »

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #14394 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:43:42 »
I just came across the enabler pcb. I'm slowly starting to think about building my own keyboard and will probably not be using a pcb (depending on the layout I choose). Are these things still recommendable? They look really convenient. Or would hand wiring be better?
pls gief bbv2

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #14395 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:48:55 »
Probably better than handwired, yes.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14396 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:49:37 »
Okay, how do I take apart my WASD V2? There aren't screws under the legs.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14397 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 09:48:14 »
I just came across the enabler pcb. I'm slowly starting to think about building my own keyboard and will probably not be using a pcb (depending on the layout I choose). Are these things still recommendable? They look really convenient. Or would hand wiring be better?

Hand wiring is easier unless you want LEDs.  With LEDs the legs are attached to anything fixed, so this gives you something to actually attach them to.  The Enablers are also sized so that the PCBs can be soldered to the switch, LED, resistor, and diode soldered in, and then put the switch in the plate.  Works this way for both MX and Alps.  Obviously, can't do this with the PCB mount stab versions.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #14398 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 10:37:28 »
Huh, I just checked on mine, there's none under my legs either.
pls gief bbv2

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14399 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 11:22:07 »
Huh, I just checked on mine, there's none under my legs either.

Is there a sticker on the back? Perhaps you need to break the sticker in order to open the back so they can tell because it would probably void the warranty.