Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554893 times)

Offline Eugene45

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #14750 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 12:50:24 »
wrong corner
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2016, 13:16:52 by Eugene45 »

lmao, cut the French some slack, they gave you a big statue

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14751 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 13:45:05 »
I thought there was a tool that would check and see if your legend would be acceptable for SP to doubleshot. Am I imagining things or is this actually a thing?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #14752 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 16:21:54 »
I thought there was a tool that would check and see if your legend would be acceptable for SP to doubleshot. Am I imagining things or is this actually a thing?

I don't remember the tool but the minimum thicknesses/ dimensions have been posted quite a few times

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #14753 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 18:34:14 »
When a person has a 60% keyboard that they were able to build in either a WKL or HHKB layout with a 7u spacebar.
What keyboard is that? Is it some sort of combination of different community developed PCBs and plates? Which are only attainable through GBs?

I just want to build a hhkb layout board. And dont want to have to use a 6x spacebar. Sorry its obvious Im having trouble finding information on this. So was wondering if people can help. Thanks

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #14754 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 18:56:20 »
When a person has a 60% keyboard that they were able to build in either a WKL or HHKB layout with a 7u spacebar.
What keyboard is that? Is it some sort of combination of different community developed PCBs and plates? Which are only attainable through GBs?

I just want to build a hhkb layout board. And dont want to have to use a 6x spacebar. Sorry its obvious Im having trouble finding information on this. So was wondering if people can help. Thanks

Pretty much all the HHKB style boards that use MX are using the winkeyless bottom row layout of 1.5u/1u/1.5u/7u/1.5u/1u/1.5u

I don't know any OEM boards that use that bottom row layout - but pretty much any aftermarket plate or pcb will have options for both wkl and standard bottom row layouts

GON and WKL both have plates and pcbs that facilitate the HHKB and WKL layout - if you want the "blockers" on the plate though though you might have to hold out for the upcoming leandren plate group buy

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #14755 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 19:11:29 »
Thankyou!

Offline sl4ppy

« Reply #14756 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 20:07:21 »
Ducky Shine 5 help question.. I suspect I already know the answer as the Shine's aren't exactly super customize-able....

Is it possible to set the minimum illumination level or default LED color for modes like reactive mode...  ie: keys are lit low-level green, and reactive mode replaces that vs. the default no illumination and reactive?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14757 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 20:22:48 »
Do thick, black, PBT ALPS mount keycaps exist? Wanting to pick up a Matias.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #14758 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 21:20:21 »

Not that I know of. Matias uses a non-standard keyset anyways.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14759 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 03:19:48 »

Not that I know of. Matias uses a non-standard keyset anyways.

Agreed. There's very little aftermarket choices with Alps keycaps right now. If you missed the few GBs (Tai Hao on Massdrop, Alpine Winter, njbair's modifier set) that have come out lately, you'll have to settle for stock caps or hunt vintage sets.

Offline E3E

« Reply #14760 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 03:40:08 »

I've got a project set up for dyeing some AT101 and IBM 5140 key caps soon. Gonna practice on some crappy thin Cherry PBT first before I potentially ruin some very difficult to attain, or at the very least expensive caps.

I also have a lot of spare AEK caps and Apple top hat caps that are PBT too. All good candidates to test the waters. I think as long as the caps are squeaky clean and the pot is clean (I bought a stainless pot, stainless strainers, and a digital thermometer for this), all should be well.

I don't think dyeing seems so hard. I hope.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14761 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 03:46:40 »
Ducky Shine 5 help question.. I suspect I already know the answer as the Shine's aren't exactly super customize-able....

Is it possible to set the minimum illumination level or default LED color for modes like reactive mode...  ie: keys are lit low-level green, and reactive mode replaces that vs. the default no illumination and reactive?

I thnk you're right and you can't change that unfortunately.

Offline kebby

« Reply #14762 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 05:10:42 »
I wasn't really paying attention back then so I have to ask: Why was the custom-designed PBT dyesub Infinity keycap set for the Infinity keyboard not get made for Alps/Matias in the end? SP seems to offering PBT DSA blanks with Alps stems for that keyboard so they seem to have that capacity at least...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14763 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 05:16:37 »
I wasn't really paying attention back then so I have to ask: Why was the custom-designed PBT dyesub Infinity keycap set for the Infinity keyboard not get made for Alps/Matias in the end? SP seems to offering PBT DSA blanks with Alps stems for that keyboard so they seem to have that capacity at least...

I'm not sure exactly which set you're referring to but IIRC, the Infinity has a unique layout such that the caps can't be used elsewhere. Plus the buy may not have had a lot of support within Infinity buyers.

Alps caps seem to have this issue where people don't like Alps because there's no caps but then people don't support the caps that do come out because they're too spoiled. It wasn't too long ago when SP DCS was the standard aftermarket GB caps for MX and people expect to just jump to GMK-type caps right away for Alps.

So TL:DR, I'm guessing it just had little support.

Offline kebby

« Reply #14764 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 05:29:15 »

I'm not sure exactly which set you're referring to but IIRC, the Infinity has a unique layout such that the caps can't be used elsewhere. Plus the buy may not have had a lot of support within Infinity buyers.

Alps caps seem to have this issue where people don't like Alps because there's no caps but then people don't support the caps that do come out because they're too spoiled. It wasn't too long ago when SP DCS was the standard aftermarket GB caps for MX and people expect to just jump to GMK-type caps right away for Alps.

So TL:DR, I'm guessing it just had little support.

I mean the namesake keycap set for that keyboard which was offered along with the original Massdrop GB for it and has support for the Infinity's layout. I may be off on details of this but there was a parallel drop for the set and I thought there was some controversy about the keycap set not being available in Alps even though it was supposed to.

I guess if I even got all that right it could be a matter of it being more expensive for SP to set up the production for a multicolored set with legends even if they seem to be happy to do the black blanks?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14765 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 05:30:51 »
I mean the namesake keycap set for that keyboard which was offered along with the original Massdrop GB for it and has support for the Infinity's layout. I may be off on details of this but there was a parallel drop for the set and I thought there was some controversy about the keycap set not being available in Alps even though it was supposed to.

I guess if I even got all that right it could be a matter of it being more expensive for SP to set up the production for a multicolored set with legends even if they seem to be happy to do the black blanks?

Ah that original drop I'm not sure what happened.

And I don't think so. We've had a multi-colored set made already.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #14766 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 14:39:11 »
Been out of the game for awhile so forgive me for my ignorance, but I saw this on originative earlier https://www.originativeco.com/products/cherry-pcb-mounted-stabilizer

My GON has been sitting unassembled because I need Cherry stabs that will fit a WKL layout. I scoured the classifieds for ages looking for them but couldn't find what I needed. Will these do?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #14767 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 14:41:12 »
Been out of the game for awhile so forgive me for my ignorance, but I saw this on originative earlier https://www.originativeco.com/products/cherry-pcb-mounted-stabilizer

My GON has been sitting unassembled because I need Cherry stabs that will fit a WKL layout. I scoured the classifieds for ages looking for them but couldn't find what I needed. Will these do?

Yep, he has the 7u wire as a option.  I might actually order some of those myself.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #14768 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 14:44:42 »

Yep, he has the 7u wire as a option.  I might actually order some of those myself.
God bless. I've been waiting so long. Might have to pick up some new keycaps as well.

I shouldn't have come back to geekhack...

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #14769 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 14:48:32 »

God bless. I've been waiting so long. Might have to pick up some new keycaps as well.

I shouldn't have come back to geekhack...

Welcome back  ;D
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14770 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 01:08:32 »
Is it possible to have more than one keyboard connected at the same time?

I'm thinking of having an IBM Model M on my keyboard tray for extended typing (via PS/2) and then using a more keyboard for occasional gaming and when I need to quickly type messages.

I tried this using my Focus FK-2001 and Keycool 87 but when I tried to connect the second keyboard, it would light up but no keys would register.

Fixed, just restarted my PC.

The keyboards will work off eachother though, if you turn on caps on one board it will do it on the other and vice versa.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 01:39:06 by klennkellon »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #14771 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 01:10:44 »
Yes

Offline Quackles

« Reply #14772 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 05:38:44 »
Probably not simple. But I'm hoping someone looked into it.

Does anyone know the sizes of the two screws used in a Realforce 87? The black and silver ones on the PCB.

Just incase anyone was wondering. The silver ones are M2x5mm and the black ones are M2x8mm (but half of it is a thread, so difficult to get).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14773 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 08:43:41 »
The keyboards will work off each other though, if you turn on caps on one board it will do it on the other and vice versa.

I keep 2 mice connected all the time and often have 2 keyboards connected. My USB Soarer's/Teensy does not register very early in the boot process, so I keep a PS/2 keyboard connected to mess around in the BIOS when that is necessary (eg to change hard drive boot priority and boot from my Linux drive).
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #14774 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:21:17 »
Any good ideas for a non-permanent solution to adhering a small (aluminum) USB connector to hard plastic? I've routed out the plastic so that it will hold the connector securely and prevent it from moving laterally on their X/Y axis, but I'd like to prevent it from being lifted from the slot (Z axis) it fits into while retaining the ability to remove/replace it at a latter date without having to do any serious material removal. No extreme force applied to it, just want it to hold there and not move around much.

Epoxy sounds a little too permanent to me, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how hot glue might cause the plastic to melt/soften undesirably, but I think that's the level of hold I'm looking for. Maybe just some Elmer's?  :))
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14775 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:22:14 »
Any good ideas for a non-permanent solution to adhering a small (aluminum) USB connector to hard plastic? I've routed out the plastic so that it will hold the connector securely and prevent it from moving laterally on their X/Y axis, but I'd like to prevent it from being lifted from the slot (Z axis) it fits into while retaining the ability to remove/replace it at a latter date without having to do any serious material removal. No extreme force applied to it, just want it to hold there and not move around much.

Epoxy sounds a little too permanent to me, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how hot glue might cause the plastic to melt/soften undesirably, but I think that's the level of hold I'm looking for.

Blue tack or whatever you called the tacky stuff you use to mount posters to the wall.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #14776 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:37:41 »
Really horrible chewing gum.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #14777 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 16:14:59 »
It appears I have misplaced the bolts for my GON case. I don't really want to pay $35 for them and wait for them to ship from Korea. Is there anywhere in the US I could potentially purchase what I need? The top of the screw says 10.9 HUA and his website says m3 x 12mm.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #14778 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 16:17:13 »
It appears I have misplaced the bolts for my GON case. I don't really want to pay $35 for them and wait for them to ship from Korea. Is there anywhere in the US I could potentially purchase what I need? The top of the screw says 10.9 HUA and his website says m3 x 12mm.

http://www.helipal.com/m3-x-12mm-flat-head-cap-screws.html

Perhaps those will work? I'm not sure what GON's screws look like exactly. Same grade (10.9) and everything.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #14779 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 16:18:52 »

m3 is widgth and 12mm is length. You can find m3 screws anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=azs_osd_iea?ie=UTF-8&tag=hp-us2-vsb-20&link_code=qs&index=aps&field-keywords=m3+screws

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #14780 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 16:29:57 »

http://www.helipal.com/m3-x-12mm-flat-head-cap-screws.html

Perhaps those will work? I'm not sure what GON's screws look like exactly. Same grade (10.9) and everything.
ty

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #14781 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 17:01:20 »
Blue tack or whatever you called the tacky stuff you use to mount posters to the wall.

Working well so far  :thumb:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14782 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 23:27:04 »
Are using vinegar is good to remove rust on realforce plate? its just a small rust

Offline E3E

« Reply #14783 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 00:46:06 »
Are using vinegar is good to remove rust on realforce plate? its just a small rust

Yep, vinegar and a cotton swap will work fine. Any residue can be swept up with some alcohol. I did this on my Focus FK-555 which is pretty much NOS, but it had a tiny tiny scratch on the plate that had rusted, but vinegar took it right off. ;)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14784 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 00:47:21 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:01:06 by alienman82 »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14785 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 05:16:24 »

Yep, vinegar and a cotton swap will work fine. Any residue can be swept up with some alcohol. I did this on my Focus FK-555 which is pretty much NOS, but it had a tiny tiny scratch on the plate that had rusted, but vinegar took it right off. ;)
And yeah the vinegar doesn't just remove the rust but the paint too  :))

Planning on getting it repainted can someone give me some instruction on how to paint plates?

Offline E3E

« Reply #14786 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 10:42:08 »

Planning on getting it repainted can someone give me some instruction on how to paint plates?

It doesn't wear through the powder coat paint though. If it's just surface rust, it should come off pretty quickly before any damage to the powder coat. :3

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #14787 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 12:28:31 »
I'm looking for Cherry doubleshot white on black, and I'm trying to find both a 1800 layout and a normal ANSI layout. Which keyboards should I look for, and how will I be able to tell they are doubleshot?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14788 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 16:05:46 »
I recalled an Ivan's board with some US International legends on an ANSI Cherry keyboard, double shots along with the alternate legends pad printed, but I am not sure. Does anyone have information about an stock Cherry board with US international legends?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14789 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 16:18:22 »
I'm looking for Cherry doubleshot white on black, and I'm trying to find both a 1800 layout and a normal ANSI layout. Which keyboards should I look for, and how will I be able to tell they are doubleshot?

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_article_numbers#Keycaps

Look for a G81-1800HXXX or G80-1800HXXX

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14790 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 16:35:11 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:00:59 by alienman82 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14791 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 16:49:31 »
How do you people do Ctrl + ALt + Delete on your 60% boards?

Offline ajx

« Reply #14792 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 16:59:15 »
I dont, i use macro on mouse button, much easier

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #14793 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 17:01:52 »
How do you people do Ctrl + ALt + Delete on your 60% boards?

If you have a programmable layer like on the Poker series 60% boards, you can set set a programmable key series for CTL+ALT+DEL. Personally I have PN+ESC set as CTL+ALT+DEL

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14794 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 17:24:04 »

It doesn't wear through the powder coat paint though. If it's just surface rust, it should come off pretty quickly before any damage to the powder coat. :3
yep I just dump the board in the vinegar for 5 hours and yeah I damaged the paint but after I brushed it with my steel brush It became quite good!

Offline E3E

« Reply #14795 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 18:59:22 »

yep I just dump the board in the vinegar for 5 hours and yeah I damaged the paint but after I brushed it with my steel brush It became quite good!

Holy moly, that must have been some SERIOUS rust or you were just lazy. :P

Painting? Preparation is the most important step. Make sure the surface is clean and use gloves. Acetone or Alcohol work well to degrease a surface pretty quick IME, but you don't want to use Acetone if anything's sensitive to it on the surface you're painting. Same for Alcohol. Safest degreaser is dish soap and water. Dry it well and try not to get lint on the plate--this is why I like acetone and high purity alcohol, since they evaporate very quickly.

If you're using spray cans and want a finer texture and more even spray pattern, you can heat the cans up a bit before spraying. I put mine in front of a small heater. For a metal plate, I prefer self-etching primer as it adheres really well. SEM is a brand I would recommend here. You can just give it a coat of SEM self-etching primer in black and you'd be done.

Depending on the fineness of the paint, it can even give it an awesome sand blasted anodized look. Enamel black over the primer will probably look the closest to powdercoat, but I would just use the primer if I were you.

If you want to keep the plate bare-looking, you can use Duplicolor's Adhesion Promoter and use a clear coat to protect it or something from their Metal Cast series to give it a translucent coat of whatever color they offer. I did this with Metal Cast blue for my FAME's plate since I carefully hand brushed the top-side of the plate as I refurbished it and it looked amazing.

I wish I would have known vinegar would remove powdercoat like that, since that part of the FAME restoration process, sanding the paint off of the metal back and the plate, took 4 + hours by hand.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2016, 19:03:17 by E3E »

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #14796 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 00:50:20 »
other than phantom and stock pcb, is there any pcb work inside a filco tkl case?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14797 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 07:53:30 »
other than phantom and stock pcb, is there any pcb work inside a filco tkl case?

That's the only one I'm aware of.

Offline joey

« Reply #14798 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 07:33:18 »
Does a leeku PCB and plate fit in a OG cherry case?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14799 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:22:31 »
Does a leeku PCB and plate fit in a OG cherry case?

With the kin plate I had to cut a few small pieces out of the inside of the top case to make it fit. Nothing major
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"