Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554852 times)

Offline pwade3

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15000 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 13:05:51 »
Does Signature Plastics make Alps-compatible DSA keycaps? I was having a conversation over on /r/mk about the Planck drop and when you choose caps it doesn't say specifically.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #15001 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:50:50 »
Does Signature Plastics make Alps-compatible DSA keycaps? I was having a conversation over on /r/mk about the Planck drop and when you choose caps it doesn't say specifically.

They have some Alps options, but not a ton. Just church their website and you'll see what they have available.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15002 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:39:59 »
yes they makes a DSA alps compatible keycaps

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15003 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:03:37 »
Does anybody here game on a 122 key Model M or Model F? Do you find that your mouse room is greatly limited?

I prefer TKL, but using a full size Model M has been tolerable, most of the extra room of the 122 key looks like it's on the left side of the keyboard, so it shouldn't be much worse than a Regular Model M ,right?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15004 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:06:06 »
Does anybody here game on a 122 key Model M or Model F? Do you find that your mouse room is greatly limited?

I prefer TKL, but using a full size Model M has been tolerable, most of the extra room of the 122 key looks like it's on the left side of the keyboard, so it shouldn't be much worse than a Regular Model M ,right?

Should feel the same as a full size M since all the extra is to the top and left like you said.

Offline FlukeNukem

« Reply #15005 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:18:03 »

Remaping your movement keys from wasd to ijkl or yghj helps a lot on fullsize keyboards.  It also gives you better options for binding keys to the left of your movement cluster.
CM Storm QFR Cherry MX Green
Dell AT101
IBM Model F 5291 "Bigfoot"

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15006 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:19:03 »

Remaping your movement keys from wasd to ijkl or yghj helps a lot on fullsize keyboards.  It also gives you better options for binding keys to the left of your movement cluster.

Wow, never thought of that, thanks I'll have to try it.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15007 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 21:38:40 »

fukin genius
I love Elzy

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #15008 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 20:46:48 »
Are there any resources to bending your own stabilizer wire for Alps keyboards?  I seem to have run across it before, but I cannot find anything after a brief search of the forum.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #15009 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 05:37:23 »
can i edit ergodoxlayout.hex? there were hex software?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15010 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 06:02:27 »
Are there any resources to bending your own stabilizer wire for Alps keyboards?  I seem to have run across it before, but I cannot find anything after a brief search of the forum.

There's this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_NN

And sorry it's a bit vague, but there's lots of stabiliser wire bending references here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75491.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15011 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 06:11:45 »
any US-based geekhackers doing proxy service? i messaged dorkvader asking if he still does it, but i haven't gotten a response yet.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15012 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 09:04:58 »
can i edit ergodoxlayout.hex? there were hex software?

A hex file is the layout that is generated from layout programmers such as this one. Some of the other layout programmers allow you to load .hex files in and edit them. I'd try one of those.

any US-based geekhackers doing proxy service? i messaged dorkvader asking if he still does it, but i haven't gotten a response yet.

Who are doing it openly? Not that I know of.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15013 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 09:54:38 »
Who are doing it openly? Not that I know of.

i found this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37277.0
but it's old
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #15014 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:59:14 »
Has anybody used this site (https://www.ponoko.com/) for making a keyboard plate? They seem to have good prices.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15015 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 15:20:35 »
Has anybody used this site (https://www.ponoko.com/) for making a keyboard plate? They seem to have good prices.
Yup, I've seen a couple of redditors have plates/cases cut there.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15017 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 16:24:45 »

Offline the6god

« Reply #15018 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 16:50:07 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15019 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 18:34:50 »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 April 2016, 20:31:27 by klennkellon »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15020 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 20:32:19 »
There is a Model F Unsaver I really want, however it uses a really strange terminal connector that looks like a black VGA cable.

Is there any converter to buy on Ebay that converts it to PS/2?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #15021 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 20:47:28 »

Dorkvader is rather inactive of late.

I will proxy.  I only ask for a few dollars extra for the service.  Send me a PM.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #15022 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 20:49:24 »

There's this: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0#post_NN

And sorry it's a bit vague, but there's lots of stabiliser wire bending references here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75491.0

Thanks.  I know it is somewhere in the Alps Party thread, but I am not in the mood to sift through it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15023 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 21:15:55 »
There is a Model F Unsaver I really want, however it uses a really strange terminal connector that looks like a black VGA cable.

Is there any converter to buy on Ebay that converts it to PS/2?

No converters on eBay. You'll have to track down an xwhatsit converter. Or maybe phosphorglow has a converter. And you'll have to solder it in yourself.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15024 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 11:19:14 »
I need a US proxy that can receive some cases and send them to me - where do I look?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15025 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 11:53:43 »
I need a US proxy that can receive some cases and send them to me - where do I look?

Dorkvader is rather inactive of late.

I will proxy.  I only ask for a few dollars extra for the service.  Send me a PM.
Looks like viva is doing it.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #15026 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 12:29:11 »
How easy is it program the OTD boards, the 365c for example?  For comparison I think that programming duck boards is easy.  I'm only looking to do simple things like making caps lock as control, is that easy to do on the 365c for example?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15027 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 00:21:23 »
How easy is it program the OTD boards, the 365c for example?  For comparison I think that programming duck boards is easy.  I'm only looking to do simple things like making caps lock as control, is that easy to do on the 365c for example?
I've never heard of this 365c otd keyboard   but I hear that its kinda hard to programs ekcept you're using the gons controller

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #15028 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 09:15:46 »
anyone know where I can purchase one of the Leopold velcro straps that boards come with. Lost the one for my 660C and it angers me to no end!

I've looked up some generic ones on ebay but would really like to find the same.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline dimsley

« Reply #15029 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 15:03:48 »
Hi!
I found one of these.. What on earth is it? And what are those switches?
Well aside from Osborne.. Theres a plate on the back that says Aquarius Systems Inc. AKI-860, Made in Taiwan R.O.C.
Have been searching but can't find anything about it on google. I'm a real beginner when it comes to old keyboards but really intrigued.

Here are some photos. I apologize for quality.

Front:
Switch:

Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15030 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 15:46:44 »
Hi!
Well aside from Osborne.. Theres a plate on the back that says Aquarius Systems Inc. AKI-860, Made in Taiwan R.O.C.
Have been searching but can't find anything about it on google. I'm a real beginner when it comes to old keyboards but really intrigued.

Front:
Show Image

Switch:
Show Image

Thanks!
Looks like SKCM Blue Alps

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15031 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 15:50:02 »
Hi!

Front:
Show Image

Switch:
Show Image

Thanks!
Looks like SKCM Blue Alps

Now brace for PMs.

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #15032 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 16:08:01 »
Can someone with an MX slider modded HHKB/realforce take a picture of the stabilized keys(shift/enter) without keycaps on? I'm going to be doing it soon but am kinda confused on how the modifiers work.

*edit: Another quick question, is there a frosty flake/pegasus hoof like replacement controller for the leopold fc750r?
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 April 2016, 16:11:10 by Pemdas »
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15033 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 16:08:06 »

Kind of a headache. They're not programmable via software, so you need to flash the layout to the firmware with an ISP programmer. Documentation is pretty rough, I've been putting off doing my Mini for a long time.

naasfu was looking around for the firmware source to compile a custom layout for a 360c, not sure if he ever found it. All I've been able to find for it is a compiled binary with standard ANSI.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15034 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 19:21:36 »

edit: Another quick question, is there a frosty flake/pegasus hoof like replacement controller for the leopold fc750r?

I dunno about your first question.

There's no drop in replacement daughter board like what you mention but you could use hasu's USB to USB converter.

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #15035 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 04:22:39 »

edit: Another quick question, is there a frosty flake/pegasus hoof like replacement controller for the leopold fc750r?

I dunno about your first question.

There's no drop in replacement daughter board like what you mention but you could use hasu's USB to USB converter.

Thanks, gonna message Hasu to purchase one thanks for the info!
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15036 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 16:36:09 »
Does anyone feel like Cooler Master could make some serious cash if they sold their MX compatible Topre sliders individually?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15037 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 17:21:22 »
Does anyone feel like Cooler Master could make some serious cash if they sold their MX compatible Topre sliders individually?

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they will be selling them individually, let me see if I can find a link.

E: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80022.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 April 2016, 17:23:08 by user 18 »
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Wohmfg

« Reply #15038 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 18:12:07 »
Where's the best place in the UK to buy a TKL/60% keyboard with brown switches and backlit? It seems it might be cheaper to buy direct from Asia with dollars and pay the import tax/shipping.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15039 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 06:10:47 »
Where's the best place in the UK to buy a TKL/60% keyboard with brown switches and backlit? It seems it might be cheaper to buy direct from Asia with dollars and pay the import tax/shipping.

Someone in the UK might have a couple of preferred vendors, but you could start with The Keyboard Company - haven't heard anything bad about them yet:

http://www.keyboardco.com/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15040 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:50:39 »
What is the color code of the base material of the double shot key caps manufactured by GMK for WAY TEC? L2 or L9? I am not referring to the special key caps, but to the base alphas, of course.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15041 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 18:38:09 »
What is the color code of the base material of the double shot key caps manufactured by GMK for WAY TEC? L2 or L9? I am not referring to the special key caps, but to the base alphas, of course.

Nobody?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15042 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 23:15:02 »

Nobody?
Please dont bump your questions.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15043 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 03:50:15 »
I have heard that a 45g Realforce and a 45g HHKB feel different because the HHKB is case-mounted and the Realforce 87u is PCB mounted. Is the key feel really that different?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15044 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 04:24:13 »
RF is plate-mounted, not PCB. and yes the difference is significant
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 April 2016, 04:25:48 by Bucake »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15045 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 14:34:59 »
RF is plate-mounted, not PCB. and yes the difference is significant
What is the difference in the feel?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #15046 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 22:07:06 »

I believe you mean WEY tec.
I can't remember it is UN0001 or CP, but pretty sure it is not L9. L9 is the alpha base color for classic beige. the color on wey keyboard is much whiter than classic beige.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15047 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 22:15:12 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:31:14 by alienman82 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15048 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 23:35:26 »

I believe you mean WEY tec.
I can't remember it is UN0001 or CP, but pretty sure it is not L9. L9 is the alpha base color for classic beige. the color on wey keyboard is much whiter than classic beige.

confirmed not the same. I've had both side by side

Yeah is WEY TEC, and it is clearer than base beige set for sure, but I do not know the code for the GMK chip that matches it.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #15049 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 02:58:02 »
I really like the thocking sound of the HHKB but really don't like the placement of the ctrl key since I game more than I type, any solutions?