Author Topic: mx red key won't actuate until fully pressed  (Read 1156 times)

Offline xZerox

mx red key won't actuate until fully pressed
« on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 08:44:18 »
My I key on my ducky shine will not actuate until it bottoms out. Just wondering how to fix this.

Had my keyboard for a little over a year, just started happening two days ago.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: mx red key won't actuate until fully pressed
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 08:50:25 »
I recently put together a KMAC with vintage blacks.  I found that my 'n' key was doing the same thing.  While typing quickly I was sometimes dropping that letter.  I had to desolder the switch and replace it.  The new switch worked fine.  After I was up and running, I took apart the switch and I couldn't see anything wrong with it.  I concluded that either I had accidentally bent the contact posts while I was swapping the spring or there was just some corrosion on the contacts that was too small for me to see.

Is your board new?  If so look into a replacement.  If not, you could hit the classifieds for one or two red switches and try to replace it yourself.

Edit: year old.  Well I dunno...  Try de-dusting it?

Offline xZerox

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 08:57:54 »
I recently put together a KMAC with vintage blacks.  I found that my 'n' key was doing the same thing.  While typing quickly I was sometimes dropping that letter.  I had to desolder the switch and replace it.  The new switch worked fine.  After I was up and running, I took apart the switch and I couldn't see anything wrong with it.  I concluded that either I had accidentally bent the contact posts while I was swapping the spring or there was just some corrosion on the contacts that was too small for me to see.

Is your board new?  If so look into a replacement.  If not, you could hit the classifieds for one or two red switches and try to replace it yourself.

Edit: year old.  Well I dunno...  Try de-dusting it?

I took it apart and cleaned everything earlier but no dice. Is there anyway to take a look inside the switch without desoldering it?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 09:00:57 »
Not on that board, sorry.  The Shine has an LED also, which will complicate things.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 11:48:24 »
The metal "leaf" part inside the switch is probably bent. Depending on which direction it's bent to, it'll require the stem to travel down far enough to push that leaf spring. Just desolder that one switch and replace it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 March 2013, 16:05:11 »
The metal "leaf" part inside the switch is probably bent. Depending on which direction it's bent to, it'll require the stem to travel down far enough to push that leaf spring. Just desolder that one switch and replace it.

Yup.. the only way to do it..  Makes sure not to hold the iron there too long, or you'll burn the led traces... since they're thinner, it's a pain if you do burn them.