Author Topic: Is it too late to Crossfire 7970?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Is it too late to Crossfire 7970?
« on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 20:19:44 »
well, is it?

I've been hearing MARCH for 8xxx ati, but nothing yet...

what's the rumor for nex gen..

Offline bazemk1979

Re: Is it too late to Crossfire 7970?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 08:32:38 »
what you mean by too late? its never too late, see the charts what are when you go 7970 CF vs 8970 single, if 8970 is only slightly slower than CF 7970 would not make much sence.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 09:05:03 »
what you mean by too late? its never too late, see the charts what are when you go 7970 CF vs 8970 single, if 8970 is only slightly slower than CF 7970 would not make much sence.

yea.. i just said f it. went ahead n ordered a second 7970 yesterday...

how can they afford to give away these games with every card... dang..

they must be totally ripping me off on this card.. LOLOL  :)) :))

Offline RougeR

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 09:20:37 »
isnt the 8XXX series just rebadging anyway,
when i find work and mst hubs comes out im upgrading

not sure what to, maybe sell my 7970 3GB and get 2x 7970 6GB or get a titan 6GB
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 10:14:44 »
Multimonitor Gaming is a total waste of money..

The only part of your eye that has remotely good visual acuity is +/- 1 degrees left/right from the fovea...

That means,, if you you have say 2 flanked 30" monitors, you are wasting 8 megapixels of processing and display..

And you have NO time to be turning your head in competitive gameplay...  Even moving your eyes widely left/right would reduce performance.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 10:45:10 »
i agree, to a degree
and its why i dont game LLL, currently just use 1 1600p
also people can go multi monitor without having gaming as a factor...so much more productivity

although i see why some people do, overall PPP would be better than LLL
when mst hubs come out i will game across these

more vertical pixels and gives you that curved peripheral effect
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2013, 10:53:20 by RougeR »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 10:58:57 »
that curved effect costs 40%-60% of your gfx proc power... AND it's something you don't even have time for during "serious-gaming"

I can understand having more monitors for "work"..

But I was refering to specifically "gaming" as it being a compete waste of money...

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 11:19:35 »
that curved effect costs 40%-60% of your gfx proc power... AND it's something you don't even have time for during "serious-gaming"

But I was refering to specifically "gaming" as it being a compete waste of money...

This is why I went from 3 back to one. Even with my two 6970's and medium settings on BF3, it wasn't very good. I liked it, don't get me wrong, however going to a single 120hz was a much more worthwhile experience for me. Hawx was sweet with surround though.
Looking for CC's!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 12:22:44 »
i dont game competitively, and if i am i would just swap back to one monitor.
>stop liking what i dont like
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 12:39:11 »

Depends on what you define as serious gaming. For competitive multiplayer games then yes, more than one monitor will in the majority of cases be a waste, but there are plenty of people who game a lot and never touch multiplayer games. For instance, playing something like Skyrim over 3 monitors would be awesome, and when you can easily sink 100+ hours into games like that then I'd say that's some serious gaming.
And driving/flying games are also more enjoyable with more than one monitor.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 13:01:38 »

Depends on what you define as serious gaming. For competitive multiplayer games then yes, more than one monitor will in the majority of cases be a waste, but there are plenty of people who game a lot and never touch multiplayer games. For instance, playing something like Skyrim over 3 monitors would be awesome, and when you can easily sink 100+ hours into games like that then I'd say that's some serious gaming.
And driving/flying games are also more enjoyable with more than one monitor.

Skyrim is not serious gaming... because it is not skill based...

It was not designed to be a competitive game... it was designed to be a fantasy escape..

Only competitive gaming is considered "serious gaming",   

Would football be a game if there's only 1 team, running in a straight line forward on an endless field?

That is Skyrim...

""playing" Skyrim is akin to the act of watching a really long tv show..

I am not against people playing skyrim or watching tv, or running in a straightline...

But that is NOT the same as starcraft 2 which is total seriousness and considered by many to be a way of life...

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 13:16:02 »
So basically what you're saying is that any gaming that isn't competitive isn't serious? Games are a medium, just like film, books etc.
I'd say that games like Mass Effect are just as serious as Counter Strike.
Besides, if you look at gaming lately the competitive gaming scene has gone downhill. How many balanced competitive games are released compared to well made story focused single-player games these days?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 13:26:07 »
So basically what you're saying is that any gaming that isn't competitive isn't serious? Games are a medium, just like film, books etc.
I'd say that games like Mass Effect are just as serious as Counter Strike.
Besides, if you look at gaming lately the competitive gaming scene has gone downhill. How many balanced competitive games are released compared to well made story focused single-player games these days?

I agree, because they keep telling kids that "they're special"  now they gotta keep the level of gaming down for the 'behind crowd.

I am "NOT against" uncompetitive gaming... but that is not "serious" gaming...  in fact they have given that genre a name, known as "casual, gaming"

Offline Malphas

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 05:32:31 »
"Serious gaming" is an oxymoron anyway. I agree that gaming is primarily an entertainment medium first and foremost and you wouldn't really use the term "serious film viewing" or "serious tv watching", etc.

However I do think competitive gaming is hugely embarrassing and for virgin manchildren.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 09:31:19 »
"Serious gaming" is an oxymoron anyway. I agree that gaming is primarily an entertainment medium first and foremost and you wouldn't really use the term "serious film viewing" or "serious tv watching", etc.

However I do think competitive gaming is hugely embarrassing and for virgin manchildren.

.............. ahh........ mmm........ ok.............yea...... eehhh..................

^ not constipation

if you believe competitive gaming to be associated with virgin manchildren... then what about sports.... it's just a giant black guy in is 20s/30s running in a straight line, over and over again...

How are you assigning how "hugely" embarrassing an act?

Offline Malphas

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 10:53:21 »
No offence, tp4tissue, but I'd rather smash my scrotum to mush with a mallet than try to decipher your semi-comprehensible, Asperger's-addled attempts at conversation. But if you're the typical example of a "serious/competitive gamer" then I think my point stands.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 12:14:23 »
No offence, tp4tissue, but I'd rather smash my scrotum to mush with a mallet than try to decipher your semi-comprehensible, Asperger's-addled attempts at conversation. But if you're the typical example of a "serious/competitive gamer" then I think my point stands.

idk why you keep bringing up aspergers.. I'd love to say I have it, and use it as an excuse for my eccentricity, but alas, i don't have it...

If this is your attempt at defamation.. you seriously suck at it..

If this is your attempt at raising your own relative status to those of which you 'speak of/with" you also come off as a terrible person in general...

You rub off as a total douche is what i'm trying to say..

Get over yourself first.. LOL