Author Topic: Ebay experts...question about selling Steam codes  (Read 1838 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Ebay experts...question about selling Steam codes
« on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:07:55 »
got a bunch of codes from my recent purchase of my second 7970 and a 7870 myst for my mother

I sold it on ebay.. now.. the guy wants me to email it... but I heard this was against the ebay rules...

What do you guys think...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Ebay experts...question about selling Steam codes
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:09:57 »
Anything you can't send with a tracking number, you are setting yourself up for them filing a claim against you. It's an easy way for you to be out the money and the code.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:11:05 »
I don't believe it's against eBay rules, but the problem is if the guy claimes the code doesn't work you are screwed, Paypal will side with him etc. So you can take a photograph of the code or post it too him etc. but there is still a chance PayPal will side with him, you'd be better selling here or something tbh.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:13:39 »
Anything you can't send with a tracking number, you are setting yourself up for them filing a claim against you. It's an easy way for you to be out the money and the code.

Grrr.... ok.. what if he leaves a negative feedback?  Could I get that removed?

How bout I set up a "video chat with him.."

And give him the code via skype... and record the whole thing... would that be proof enough, if something happens?

I mean obviously if he agrees to a "recorded" video chat, he's not likely to screw me...

IDk, i'm just trying not to be a ****... cuz I understand the feeling of buying a new game.. and having to wait for the "logistics"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:14:48 »
I don't believe it's against eBay rules, but the problem is if the guy claimes the code doesn't work you are screwed, Paypal will side with him etc. So you can take a photograph of the code or post it too him etc. but there is still a chance PayPal will side with him, you'd be better selling here or something tbh.

GDI, I already sold it...  :'( and there's a guy here selling these things for way lower.. I couldn't beat his prices... it's like he's gettin um' off the back of a truck... or he buys graphics cards for a living... idk..

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:14:56 »
Print out the email, drop it in an envelope, put tracking on it, and ship that?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:16:13 »
Your not only worried about him "not getting it" but after He has used it, you have no proof it was him and not you, that used it.

Otherwise you could just used the email as evidence. You can never have negative feedback removed. You can have it edited by the issue'r to positive or the comment deleted bY eBay but you still have a negative point against you.

unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:17:47 »
Well, as long as you also send it by mail so you can prove it was sent and delivered to cover yourself. I basically just assume everyone that is buying something from me on ebay will try to scam me... I guess I am just pessimist but I had it happen a few times when I first sold things on ebay so I am always extra wary.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:42:34 »
Your not only worried about him "not getting it" but after He has used it, you have no proof it was him and not you, that used it.

Otherwise you could just used the email as evidence. You can never have negative feedback removed. You can have it edited by the issue'r to positive or the comment deleted bY eBay but you still have a negative point against you.

Now I'm angry.... well, i suppose I could always make more ebay accounts..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 18:44:33 »
Well, as long as you also send it by mail so you can prove it was sent and delivered to cover yourself. I basically just assume everyone that is buying something from me on ebay will try to scam me... I guess I am just pessimist but I had it happen a few times when I first sold things on ebay so I am always extra wary.

naw.. I think that's good policy...

But, so you guys don't think the recorded video chat idea is good?

I could make him hold up a piece of paper with his ebay name, and the date..

And I'll hold up a piece of paper with the voucher code, and my ebay name and date...