Author Topic: ErgoDox Layouts  (Read 50793 times)

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
ErgoDox Layouts
« on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 15:40:34 »
The ErgoDox is totally programmable. Meaning you can make any layout you like with a tool like this-
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/

Show off yours here.

Offline Jagriff

Re: ErgoDox Layouts
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 17:32:53 »
I'm in the second group buy so it will be a while before I even get to try this layout, but here's what I have:

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=EUVE48&hash=91a5705199b9f194576f46d38ee9f6e7

The Y, O, and U on the left hand is just for when I am using a mouse with my right and I want to do shorcuts.

Layer 1 has easy access to ALT+F4, number pad, and navigational keys.

I'm still not sure about some parts of the thumb clusters and the bottom row.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 17:47:19 »

Offline SubGothius

• HTDoctor.com
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 18:02:31 »
Here's my adapted QWERTY layout with a proper inverted-T arrow cluster and some cleverness in the numpad layer:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=S49G3K&hash=2528b12087164c68adf36668b408d1f8
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 18:55:38 »
Here's my adapted QWERTY layout with a proper inverted-T arrow cluster and some cleverness in the numpad layer:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=S49G3K&hash=2528b12087164c68adf36668b408d1f8

what does the null set key do.

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 21:41:24 »

what does the null set key do.
The empty set symbol denotes transparent keys. From the massdrop website:

"Transparent Keys
When pressed, these keys will move down the stack looking for a non-transparent key to send, hence the name. They cannot be assigned to Layer 0."

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:59:51 »
Here is mine.  I tried the mock the layout on my Maltron.
Layer 0 is standard QWERTY.   
Layer 1 has media keys and Num pad. 
Layer 2 has the Maltron layout, which, I plan to learn now that I have an Ergodox and Maltron.  Should be interesting. 

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=UFLHZS&hash=2143d3250d84e49d6f6d4b260788d33d

I might change things around slightly.  Perhaps swap the Shift and Control.  Other ideas include placing the Shift next to the Spacebars.  And then moving the Tab and Enter to bottom middle.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 19:26:48 »
Layer 2 has the Maltron layout, which, I plan to learn now that I have an Ergodox and Maltron.  Should be interesting. 

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=UFLHZS&hash=2143d3250d84e49d6f6d4b260788d33d

I might change things around slightly.  Perhaps swap the Shift and Control.  Other ideas include placing the Shift next to the Spacebars.  And then moving the Tab and Enter to bottom middle.
Do you actually use both spaces?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 21:22:37 »

I've been thinking about having a second space, because sometimes, you need to correct something, and then use the mouse right away, having a second space on the left really helps with that.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 05:45:12 »

No, at the moment, I just use the right space.  I probably I should do something more useful with that left thumb key, but haven't decided what to do with it yet. 

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 17:46:03 »

There have been some changes to my layout in case anybody is interested.  I know you are all holding your breath.

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=UFLHZS&hash=662e24cfbfd4f74c9178bd919ab3351a

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 17:51:44 »

There have been some changes to my layout in case anybody is interested.  I know you are all holding your breath.

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=UFLHZS&hash=662e24cfbfd4f74c9178bd919ab3351a

my media keys don't work.. waaaaaaaaaa :'( :'(

you're all using macos yea?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 20:11:21 »
yeah media keys didn't work for me either, are they just for macs or is there a driver to install or something?

once liked having my volume control and pause play on my keyboard and gave it up for good keyboards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 20:40:02 »
hi glod, thx for the standoffs mod btw.. it really helps.. tenting ftw

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 21:02:14 »
dat wasnt me :O i suggested using the kenesis V3 kit for tenting.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 21:07:39 »
dat wasnt me :O i suggested using the kenesis V3 kit for tenting.

oh, whoever did it, thanx, :D..

SubGothius thank

I checked out the v3 kit, it doesn't give me enough tenting. and it doesn't seem to allow for multi axis tenting. For example, I feel like the ergodox should also be tented from the back/ io side toward the user, a little ontop of center tenting.

Offline pprjr

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 23:01:09 »
I am interested in a ergodox, but I do not want to assemble one, someone would be willing to sell a assembled to me or tell me where I can find to buy?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:59:42 »
Wanted to throw up my most recent layout, not very creative but i like it.

http://almightyglod.com/public_stack/ErgoDox_Layout/1/

I am interested in a ergodox, but I do not want to assemble one, someone would be willing to sell a assembled to me or tell me where I can find to buy?

Welcome to geekhack. Round 3 is up on massdrop.com, the first step would be to acquire a non-assembled one and then finding someone here to build it. It's harder to acquire a fully built one. once you have 60 posts here you can start asking in the classifieds.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:27:51 »
I finally got the rest of my stabs from wasd web..  ergo dox is so much better with stabs... it's extremely grindy with ergoclear without the stabs.

all my 2x keys now lubed and stabbed..  much more consistent travel.. and the side to side torque is gone. :D

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:48:18 »
Here's my updated layout:
More

The -_ is positioned so that I can hit it with the same motion as hitting space, which-is-very-appropriate.
I have easy access to ALT+F4 (on ~L1) and ALT+TAB isn't too unnatural.
HJKL (editing purposes) and WASD (screen hotkey purposes, such as WIN+Shift+Left) are arrow keys on the function layer.
Everything else is pretty self-explanatory.
The F1-F8 keys on layer 0 are there just because I cannot think of a better use for those keys.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:52:40 by Jagriff »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 16:03:31 »
Here's my updated layout:
More
Show Image

The -_ is positioned so that I can hit it with the same motion as hitting space, which-is-very-appropriate.
I have easy access to ALT+F4 (on ~L1) and ALT+TAB isn't too unnatural.
HJKL (editing purposes) and WASD (screen hotkey purposes, such as WIN+Shift+Left) are arrow keys on the function layer.
Everything else is pretty self-explanatory.
The F1-F8 keys on layer 0 are there just because I cannot think of a better use for those keys.

I put most of my nav keys on the left side because that way i can one hand them while still holding the mouse.

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 19:12:31 »
I put most of my nav keys on the left side because that way i can one hand them while still holding the mouse.
Like what exactly? It seems like navigating with the mouse would be best if it is in your hand.

Offline ksm123

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 03:24:56 »
Here is my layout.

Rationale:

My main editor is Emacs with "ErgoEmacs" mode on, therefore there is no inverted T arrow cluster (ErgoEmacs provides arrow keys near right homerow with Meta (Left Alt) pressed.
Left Alt is prominently displayed in left thumb cluster.
Right Alt is tucked away from right thumb cluster, but still is easily available with just a thumb curl.
I'm used to operate space with my left thumb.

Layer zero is pretty much standard Qwerty.
Layer one is function keys and numpad, I'm used to grouping function keys into fours, therefore all function keys are under my left hand.
Layer two is the Colemak layout done in firmware, it allows me to use Colemak during boot process.
Layer three provides access to Teensy boot loader and switching between Qwerty and Colemak.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 10:45:05 »
A little out of the ordinary, but I let my fingers tell me where the keys need to go.

Although I'm pretty sure I need to fix up L1, as I can't do an Alt+Up to go up a folder in the File Open dialog boxes in Windows (which I use a lot).

Offline Calyx

Workman Layout for ErgoDox
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 20:14:17 »
Here's my simple Workman layout.
It allows me to shift to qwerty for the sake of others who might want to try it (as well as for passwords).

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=CTL63V&hash=a7039025f34045d7ecd49b9be60c4deb
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 20:38:37 by Calyx »
Setup: Microdox (Workman-P) & Tilted Msft Trackball Explorer

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 02:50:29 »
wow, that is interesting, ive never seen something like that before!

that reminds me that i meant to add dvorak and colemak to my ergodox, there is like 10 layers in the configuration tool; it wouldn't be hard for me to add in some interesting layers. Ive never tried typing with colemak before

Offline linuxjosh

• LinuxJosh
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:05:03 »

Offline jalli

Latin (International) ErgoDox Layouts
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:48:58 »
Hey everyone,

This is a partical repost on the Swedish/Finnish post but I think it's relevant.

I ordered my Ergodox in the last Massdrop buy, while waiting  I've been playing with layouts and figuring out how to map an Icelandic keyboard.

I work as a hybrid developer/sysadmin so I expect I'll continue to use regular QWERTY keyboards quite frequently, mostly English/ANSI but also Icelandic/ISO.

My initial reaction was to start with QWERTY but then I stopped and thought, well if I'm retraining myself and I don't want to screw up my current typing skills perhaps going with something even more different isn't a bad idea and since bigger the difference the less chance of confusion and QWERTY is suboptimal for typing comfort, speed and accuracy.

I figured this might be a good time to switch to Dvorak, well I looked at Dvorak and making an Icelandic layout for it, also looked at how programming would be with a Dvorak and, ahh well not so great.

After doing a lot of experiments using Patrick Gillespie's Keyboard Layout Analyzer I finally settled on a slightly modified Colemak layout, the only real difference was to swap the A and the N so that all the vowels would be on the right side, this way I can add the popular Diacritic on the left hand to type things like áúíýóé ö easily.

My Current Massdrop Ergodox layout

But ideally I would like to make something that's not only usable for most or all Latin based languages but pretty fast for all of them. The Colemak layout can already handle almost all the characters required but they involve some pretty awkward key combinations like Altgr + t + y to get ý.

Right now I'm thinking if it's possible to reprogram the CTRL, SHIFT and ALT and Layer keys so that in addition to being regular control keys they also become dead keys when pressed and released without any other key being pressed, this way I could add support for ° ´ ` ~ ˆ , pressing any one of them twice would result in the double diacritic or reversing the direction ˆ becomes ˇ and ° becomes ¨.

This leaves one deadkey that I think can be used for ß Æ Þ Ð Ø and ¿

¿ is a deadkey followed by ?
Ø is a deadkey followed by O
ß is a deadkey followed by S
Æ is a deadkey followed by A
Þ is deadkey followed by T
Р is deadkey followed by D.

This could also be used for other secondary double mappings not involving the already used A and O.

I'd love to get some feedback, thoughts from other people using Latin based keyboards, If we can come up with an efficient design for an standard Latin based Colemak I think we might achieve something pretty special.
Antonia

Offline jalli

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 21:37:59 »
Just thought I would let you know that the Ergodox keyboard layout is now available as an option in

http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer, it's a tool to optimize keyboard layouts and is really cool, I highly recommend you try it out if you are building your own layout or to compare existing layouts.
Antonia

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 21:57:47 »
wow, that's excellent news!

One of the "issues" I've seen with layout analyzers is that they lack support for any of the "cool" projects. Also, many don't' include the impact of punctuation and special characters. In some OS's, I'd rather have the / closer to hand than the QWERTY positioning.

Having the ergodox as an option is excellent. Now let's get crunching! I suspect the most useful use of this tool is to determine a good location for what to do with the thumb keys and punctuation.
---
Edit: I'm not seeing the ergodox anywhere on his pages!
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 September 2013, 22:01:16 by dorkvader »

Offline jalli

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 22:04:36 »
Go to: http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/#/config

In the preset menu, scroll to the bottom, select Ergodox QUERTY and hit Load.

R.

Jarl

wow, that's excellent news!

One of the "issues" I've seen with layout analyzers is that they lack support for any of the "cool" projects. Also, many don't' include the impact of punctuation and special characters. In some OS's, I'd rather have the / closer to hand than the QWERTY positioning.

Having the ergodox as an option is excellent. Now let's get crunching! I suspect the most useful use of this tool is to determine a good location for what to do with the thumb keys and punctuation.
---
Edit: I'm not seeing the ergodox anywhere on his pages!
Antonia

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 20:16:19 »

I'm guessing that you've not used the Maltron layer that much yet, because as it is, it lacks an "E" key (usually on the left thumb). ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 September 2013, 06:03:23 by xmagusx »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 00:31:19 »
Had to let this last GB go by, but I hope to have an ergodox soon. In anticipation of that, and since my fingers pretty much expect dvorak, I made a dvorak layout (which I saw someone ask about but haven't seen in this thread)
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=A3SE32&hash=2512388404ca53c0a62c846962b81146

Although I expect I'll have to fiddle more than a bit with the thumb, and extra bottom row buttons to find the best use for them. You may notice I moved the dash to the left hand ... that's because one of the very, very few complaints I have about dvorak, is getting a long listing of a directory in linux. ls -l ... it's all the pinky. At least it's the right pinky but on this layout it won't be.

That's all I got. Have fun.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:34:31 »
Here is the zeroth revision of my symmetrical layout inspired by TypeMatrix to some extent.

L1 and thumb clusters are temporary and I'll add Colemak and mirrored layers for one-handed typing later.

I started with slightly modified default QWERTY, I moved AltGr right next to the thumb cluster in particular. Then I made this. Control keys are placed like that because I want to press them with my palms.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:37:45 by davkol »

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 23:54:27 »
Here is my layout, which is intendeds to leverage the loading of my right hand to the left, and adapted to word frequency of Chinese characters from pinyin input method. It is still evolving and changes everyday...

Offline steve.v

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 23:52:50 »
Need some help regarding layouts. After loading the hex file, many keys are not in their correct positions. Reloading the original qwerty file works, but it's not taking my new layout. Any suggestions?

***Update***

Nevermind I fixed it, there was a bug.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:12:08 by steve.v »

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 10:13:16 »
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=832ELU&hash=1d8b323b7bdc779a5261002f487436d0

pretty basic nothing too fancy.  i did find myself accidentally hitting the inside vertical 1.5u on each hand which control my layers so i put 1u keys there instead.  much better.

i have been using the dox at work for the last week and this is the 4 revision to my layout.  pretty straight forward qwerty.  i used what pulse for 3 months before constructing the ergodox so i could figure out what keys i use the most and need on my upper most layer.  that was a good idea.

|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline luisbg

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 06:14:25 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 06:38:40 by luisbg »
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline jalli

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 10:16:24 »
I think the layout would work fine in windows but OSX and Linux users would have some issues, especially when it comes to using vim and shortcuts, the windows ctrl-c ctrl-z ctrl-v might also be a bit problematic since you would have to move your right hand off the mouse :)

What do you guys think of my Bu-Teck layout?

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=W4BX9C&hash=8fabfda730503881864abe9fdadc0857

(Attachment Link)
Antonia

Offline luisbg

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 10:30:53 »
I think the layout would work fine in windows but OSX and Linux users would have some issues, especially when it comes to using vim and shortcuts, the windows ctrl-c ctrl-z ctrl-v might also be a bit problematic since you would have to move your right hand off the mouse :)

83591-0

Fixed the Copy, Paste, Cut and Undo.
I use vim and emacs extensively but I have reconfigured the shortcuts. In vim the only ones impacted would the navigation keys, which in this layout you could use the arrows in Layer 1 as easily and close to home.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline Data

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 10:38:10 »
What's the "Menu" key (Windows context menu) in this editor?  Is it RGui?

Offline luisbg

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 10:41:38 »

Yes, it is RGui.

Offline Data

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 11:11:22 »

Yes, it is RGui.

Thank you, kind sir.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 11:14:52 »
Thank you, kind sir.

No problem. I am creating a .hex file with tmk_keyboard with this layout. If anybody is interested.

Offline jalli

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 11:18:29 »
Personally I prefer to have the arrow keys along with home/end pgup/pgdown mapped on layer 1 so that I press one toggle key that turns the buttons that normally are sdf (left down right) and e to up.

Code: [Select]
     * ,--------------------------------------------------.           ,--------------------------------------------------.
     * |  +L1   | 1 !¡ |  2 @ | 3 #  | 4 $ §| 5 % ˝|˘ ̑ ˚  |           |˘ ̑ · | 6 ^ ̏| 7 &  | 8 *  | 9 +  | 0 =  |   L0   |
     * |--------+------+------+------+------+-------------|           |------+------+------+------+------+------+--------|
     * |  Tab   |   Q  |   W  |   F  |   P  |   G  | ˆ ˇ  |           | | ?  |   J  |   L  |   U  | Y ¥  |' " ´ |  Esc   |
     * |--------+------+------+------+------+------|  *   |           | ¿ ¦  |------+------+------+------+------+--------|
     * | ´` ¨   |   N  |  R ® | S ẞ  |  T Þ | D Р |------|           |------|   H  |  A Æ | E €  |I ı İ |  O Œ | - _ ~  |
     * |--------+------+------+------+------+------| RAlt |           | RAlt |------+------+------+------+------+--------|
     * | LShift |   Z  |   X  |C © ¢ |   V  |   B  |      |           |      |   K  |  M ™ |  ,;¸ |  .:˛ | / \ /| RShift |
     * `--------+------+------+------+------+-------------'           `-------------+------+------+------+------+--------'
     *   | LCtrl| LGui | LAlt |  <(  |  {[  |                                       |  ]}  |  )>  | LAlt | RGui | RCtrl|
     *   `----------------------------------'                                       `----------------------------------'
     *                                        ,-------------.       ,-------------.
     *                                        | ~L1  | ~L2  |       | ~L2  | ~L1  |
     *                                 ,------|------|------|       |------+------+------.
     *                                 |      |      | PgUp |       | Home |      |      |
     *                                 | BkSp | Del  |------|       |------| Enter| Space|
     *                                 |      |      | PgDn |       | End  |      |      |
     *                                 `--------------------'       `--------------------'

* Keymap: Layer 1
     * ,--------------------------------------------------.           ,--------------------------------------------------.
     * |  +L2   |  F1  |  F2  |  F3  |  F4  |  F5  |˘ ̑ ˚  |           |˘ ̑ · | PrtSc| NumLk|   /  |   *  |   -  |   L0   |
     * |--------+------+------+------+------+-------------|           |------+------+------+------+------+------+--------|
     * |  Tab   |      | PgUp |  Up  | Vol+ |      | ˆ ˇ  |           | | ?  | ScrLk|   7  |   8  |   9  |  +   |        |
     * |--------+------+------+------+------+------|  *   |           | ¿ ¦  |------+------+------+------+------+--------|
     * | ´` ¨   | Home | Left | Down |Right | End  |------|           |------| Pause|   4  |   5  |   6  |  =   |        |
     * |--------+------+------+------+------+------| RAlt |           | RAlt |------+------+------+------+------+--------|
     * | CapsLk |      | PgDn | Mute | Vol- |      |      |           |      |      |   1  |   2  |   3  | Enter| CapsLk |
     * `--------+------+------+------+------+-------------'           `-------------+------+------+------+------+--------'
     *   | LCtrl| LGui | LAlt |  <(  |  {[  |                                       |   0  |  Del |  Crl |CjrEnt|      |
     *   `----------------------------------'                                       `----------------------------------'
     *                                        ,-------------.       ,-------------.
     *                                        | ~L1  | ~L2  |       | ~L2  | ~L1  |
     *                                 ,------|------|------|       |------+------+------.
     *                                 |      |      | PgUp |       | Home |      |      |
     *                                 | BkSp | Del  |------|       |------| Enter| Space|
     *                                 |      |      | PgDn |       | End  |      |      |
     *                                 `--------------------'       `--------------------'

quote author=luisbg link=topic=42463.msg1556132#msg1556132 date=1418056253]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Fixed the Copy, Paste, Cut and Undo.
I use vim and emacs extensively but I have reconfigured the shortcuts. In vim the only ones impacted would the navigation keys, which in this layout you could use the arrows in Layer 1 as easily and close to home.
[/quote]
Antonia

Offline luisbg

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 11:36:56 »
I did something very similar but having the arrow keys on the right hand. Then I made the rest of the Layer 1 so all programming/cli symbols are easy to reach.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:23:03 »
This is my current Dvorak-based layout: https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=QWFQXZ&hash=a3a33bc0a270c17a7144d34d7d965358.

I don't actually use the .hex created by the Massdrop configurator. I have ported the layout to Ben Blazak's "partial rewrite" branch. The branch allows me to customize the LED behavior, and also some of "shifted keys" and control combo keys.

I find myself not really using the 1.5u keys on the outside columns not very much. I mostly access punctuation by holding the layer toggle with my right thumb and hitting the appropriate key with my fingers.

My ultimate goal of this layout was to move away from overloading my pinky fingers. I'd rather overload my thumbs and index fingers. The only concession is leaving the shift keys on "row 4" on my pinky fingers. One of my first layouts had shift on my thumbs and I couldn't get used to it, so I gave up after 3 weeks of trying.

Also, I use my thumbs to hit space, backspace and (forward) delete. The arrow keys are arrayed vi-style, and I shift my right hand down to hit them. I've gotten quite used to sliding my hand down, and back up to home row for typing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:32:20 by nomaded »
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline luisbg

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 05:48:31 »
This is my current Dvorak-based layout: https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=QWFQXZ&hash=a3a33bc0a270c17a7144d34d7d965358.

In Layer 2 do you have center row-right columns as 9 0 or as ( ) ?

I like some of your ideas.

Offline Data

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 08:03:49 »
My basic/beginner QWERTY layout:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=RQWW4N&hash=5ccc0e67e28a6bb1368bef9e6e6558b5

Question about layer mods: Is it necessary to put [~L1] (toggle) on layer one so that it stays "shifted" to that layer while the key is pressed?  I'm still learning the behaviors of the different mod types.  Thanks.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 09:01:39 »
My basic/beginner QWERTY layout:
https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=RQWW4N&hash=5ccc0e67e28a6bb1368bef9e6e6558b5

Question about layer mods: Is it necessary to put [~L1] (toggle) on layer one so that it stays "shifted" to that layer while the key is pressed?  I'm still learning the behaviors of the different mod types.  Thanks.

This wasn't clear to me either when I started. From the docs it seems like the destination layer's button must be the same or transparent. This way the button release event doesn't confuse it.