Author Topic: Suggestion instead of Razr BW  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Spokoman

Suggestion instead of Razr BW
« on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 14:02:16 »
My little sister wants a gaming keyboard. Obviously the 1st thing she finds is razr bw. Is there something else out there that's backlit and has a USB port in that price range. The only thing I found is CM Storm Trigger.
Ducky Shine II Blue LED Brown Switches
CM QF TK Red LED Red Switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Suggestion instead of Razr BW
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 14:40:38 »
Does it have to be full-sized?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 14:46:38 »
Also, the USB port requirement will hold you back in a huge way. Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head that is both backlight and with usb port is the Mionix Zibal 60.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 14:58:20 »
My little sister wants a gaming keyboard. Obviously the 1st thing she finds is razr bw. Is there something else out there that's backlit and has a USB port in that price range. The only thing I found is CM Storm Trigger.

there's the quickfire pro for $50 if you can stomach an iONE.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:12:24 »
Well even though both the CM Pro and Razer BW use the same iOne oem, at least the CM Pro has a better price tag. Also I forgot there is the iRocks KR6251E that may be of some interest. Though if you drop that usb port requirement there is all sorts of choices that have a much better reputation like the Ducky Shine or even Keycool models. Dare I even say if I was looking for a backlight board I might even consider the just released Dearmo Blade.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:16:51 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Freezzy

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:24:16 »
Well first of all, there's no such thing as a "gaming" keyboard. And if there is one. It's deffinetly NOT Cherry mx blues, nor browns. You will never be looking at your keyboard, and if you will be looking at your keyboard, you're not a "gamer".

But what the heck. People like backlight...

Which games will she be using it for?
Full sized or tenkeyless?

Though please convince her to NOT buy a razer... And if she gets rid of the backlight. There's so much better keyboards at that range that you can beat somebody to death with...

P.S: No kitchen jokes yet? Well this forum is a good one.
P.S.S: Oh wait  :rolleyes:

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:28:35 »
She says Full. I'm going to work on her a bit and suggest the USB port is not that important. The backlit, I might have a bigger problem with. She was pretty set on that.

I will disagree that MX brown is not a gaming switch. A lot of starcraft 2 pros use it.

I think she mostly plays LoL, Minecraft and some FPS games.

EDIT: she just turned 11. She's a much better gamer than I was at her age. No kitchen for her. She prefers karate class and basketball. She took after her big brother  :cool:
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:35:01 by Spokoman »

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:33:56 »
Pro Sc2 players mostly use browns or blues, unless they are sponsored by steelseries.
Also if you could get her to drop the usb port, ducky would be my recommendation.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:38:14 »
Pro Sc2 players mostly use browns or blues, unless they are sponsored by steelseries.
Also if you could get her to drop the usb port, ducky would be my recommendation.
On that note, a buddy of mine got me a SC2 edition steelseries keyboard a couple of years ago as a present. That was the worst peace of $%^& I ever put my hands on!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:42:54 »
Being that she wants it for gaming, a TK can be good or bad, you have extra keys you can remap for extra functions, but it pushes the mouse over. A TKL or 75% is a good compromise as there are still keys you can remap. I use Autohotkey and when a game starts it remaps the keys (including locking out the Winkey).

As for a keyboard, Deck is probably the only backlit that won't have shoddy keys in a relatively short time. However the font is worse than the BW in my opinion and they aren't cheap by any means.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:44:58 »
Why not get a CM Storm Trigger?  Solid, Costar-built, full backlight with different modes, has macro keys and USB ports (but need to get a separate power cord for those--apparently not too difficult to find somewhere like Amazon), and has a very comfy wristrest included.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Freezzy

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:57:35 »
She says Full. I'm going to work on her a bit and suggest the USB port is not that important. The backlit, I might have a bigger problem with. She was pretty set on that.

I will disagree that MX brown is not a gaming switch. A lot of starcraft 2 pros use it.

EDIT: she just turned 11. She's a much better gamer than I was at her age. No kitchen for her. She prefers karate class and basketball. She took after her big brother  :cool:
USB Port is pretty much useless, unless you have a laptop, if you have a laptop get an usb hub. Well backlit, you can't argue with a woman... young or old.

Well by logic, you click a lot in SC2... I think, and blues and browns are made for fast typing, so yeah. If that's the case I totally agree with you.

Which switches do she want btw? You have a couple of keyboards yourself, right?

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 07:06:20 »
No one has suggested a Ducky Shine II? You can even get that in purple (really its pink coloured though) and its got a bunch of different lighting modes. I think that one would be really easy to convince her about. Plus tell her the benefits of TKL aswell because there's no gamer on the planet that needs a numberpad to play games.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 07:09:36 »

USB Port is pretty much useless, unless you have a laptop, if you have a laptop get an usb hub. Well backlit, you can't argue with a woman... young or old.

Well by logic, you click a lot in SC2... I think, and blues and browns are made for fast typing, so yeah. If that's the case I totally agree with you.

Which switches do she want btw? You have a couple of keyboards yourself, right?
Browns are fine for gaming, the only reason blues are argued to be bad for gaming is because it has hysteresis.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 08:36:03 »
No one has suggested a Ducky Shine II? You can even get that in purple (really its pink coloured though) and its got a bunch of different lighting modes. I think that one would be really easy to convince her about. Plus tell her the benefits of TKL aswell because there's no gamer on the planet that needs a numberpad to play games.
Yeah, that's true. I think she saw a video of the BW and she liked the colicky sound. Just so happens I have a Ducky shine II tkl with mx blues for sale. I'll show that to her on skype. I think the blue LED I have will be better. She prefers blue to pink  :)

Browns are fine for gaming, the only reason blues are argued to be bad for gaming is because it has hysteresis.
Interesting. I didn't know that.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:46:56 »
Yeah, that's true. I think she saw a video of the BW and she liked the colicky sound. Just so happens I have a Ducky shine II tkl with mx blues for sale. I'll show that to her on skype. I think the blue LED I have will be better. She prefers blue to pink  :)

Interesting. I didn't know that.
Yep, for a lot of people its easier to double tap on a tactile switch because you know where it actuates. This is why clears are considered good for some games because it gets heavy near the bottom, so you can double tap faster... In theory. But yeah, I gamed competitively with browns for quite a long time, and now I do it with Topre. It really doesn't matter what the switch is as long as it doesn't have hysteresis TBH.
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 16:01:13 »
Yeh, double tapping on blues atleast takes some getting used to..
In theory I  think heavy linear switches would be the fastest double-tap switch.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 16:13:11 »
Double tapping blues doesn't work, you have to return almost to to the top of the keystroke before the clicker resets. Even then, the only way you know is to listen, possibly feel it. Not only that, but the click actually sounds after the switch activates, not as it activates. This makes for the longest stroke possible when trying to double tap.  Double tapping linears is also problematic as there is nothing to indicate that the switch has activated or released except what happens on your screen. On the other hand, if you are just pounding the keys, it doesn't matter which you use.

With Clears and Jailhouse Blues you can fee exactly when the switch activates and de-activates, allowing you to just ride that bump over and over.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline knotra

• I ญญญ♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 16:26:11 »

If you can convince her to not need the USB hub, she might like the ducky shine IIs. They have a ton of nice backlighting colors and are great keyboards. (I have 2 myself)

As for cherry mx browns being gaming switches. They definitely are. They are by far my favorite for gaming and as you said many starcraft players use them such as myself. Though this is all preference, they are as much gaming switches as the others.
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline Freezzy

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 08:38:50 »
Oh by the way. Keep in mind that with Cherry Mx Blues. It will be hard to run in Minecraft. Since you gotta double click W in minecraft to sprint. And if you play minecraft yourself. The double clicking W sprint is already really hard, it always bugs out. So yeah, you will need some kind of mod to rebind the button.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 08:43:50 »
I was playing Borderlands 2 with Buckling Springs and I bet I could easily play SC2 with them. It's all personal preference. SC2 pros play on a range of boards from Rubber Domes (Qsenn DT35) to Topre to MX Switches

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 08:47:34 »
I was playing Borderlands 2 with Buckling Springs and I bet I could easily play SC2 with them. It's all personal preference. SC2 pros play on a range of boards from Rubber Domes (Qsenn DT35) to Topre to MX Switches
I don't think anyone actually plays on BS though, they are so heavy it would create insane wrist strain over long periods.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 10:14:11 »
AKIMbRO plays games on BS boards. You never know ^-^. I've never seen an SC2 pro play on a BS board but that doesnt mean its not possible