Author Topic: Will Ducky Shine 2 keycaps last very long?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline loiphin

Will Ducky Shine 2 keycaps last very long?
« on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 06:07:59 »
Hey all,

Bought myself a Ducky Shine 2 with white keycaps and blue leds (MX Brown switches) and a Ducky G2 Pro with dyesub PBT's and dark grey/blue layout (MX Brown).

Was wondering about the quality of the Ducky Shine 2 keycaps. They look like they are merely clear keycaps that have been fully painted. When I was removing the keycaps to do a o-ring mod I figured it wouldnt be too difficult to scratch the keycaps and expose the transparent plastic underneath.

So I guess I shouldn't expect too much in terms of mileage from the Shine 2.

The G2 Pro on other hand is great, except for a minor niggle where the dyesub font is not quite as sharp. But hey.

loiphin.

Logitech G19 - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate - Corsair K95 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Das Model S Ultimate - Ducky Shine 2 - Ducky G2 Pro dyesub PBT- IBM Model M - Apple (A1243) x2 - Apple wireless (A1314) - Apple (A1048) - Apple wireless (A1016)

Offline Potologue

Re: Will Ducky Shine 2 keycaps last very long?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 07:03:33 »
I have had my Ducky shine 2 since it came out. My keycaps are still not shiny after being used everyday since then.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 07:13:27 »
I've heard they are pretty durable as long as you didn't get a defective set of caps [which you would have noticed in the first place]. The defect rates have been delaying the white and pink sets from showing up in the US according to ShakeR.

Also if you ever wanna sell those white caps, I am totally your man lol.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 09:41:04 »
Technically all backlit caps with the exception of DS are defective...

Because there is only a thin layer of paint on there.

EVEN if the edges of the letters hold...

the CORNERS will NOT be visibly sharp,  because it is worn from multiple angles, therefore subjected to 2-3 times more wear..

So for example, if they rate the paint for a certain number of keypresses... the inner and outer corners of of the lettering on the letters will only be good for 1/3 to 1/2 of that time, IF NOT LESS.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 09:47:08 »
I understand what you are saying TP4, but I think the white and pink backlit caps use a different manufacturing process called "water transfer printing technology" as quoted on the Ducky official website. I have no idea what this means but I think it is different from "standard" backlit caps.

This is just a guess, but I am guessing Ducky wanted to avoid what happened when Vortex came out with the Limited Edition White Race keyboards, so they tried a different manufacturing process.