Author Topic: Reccomend me a new PC case  (Read 17346 times)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Reccomend me a new PC case
« on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:00:35 »
Need something cool, the recent heatwave in the UK (yes, it has just finished) but my PC was getting wahhheyyy to hot, so I need a bigger case, Something for a regular ATX mobo, budget is £100 [about $150] so yeah, please recommend me anything, or tell me if there is anything I should avoid.

Atheistic; show me anything :D I do like big-ass case' full towers are nice

Update: I went and bought the Fractal Design Define XL R2 and so far I am very happy with it, thanks guys!
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2013, 05:41:03 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
Re: Reccomend me a new PC case
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:02:52 »
Fractal Design R4.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:05:13 »
HAF 932 or 922.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:06:00 »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139006

they go on sale sometimes.  i got mine for 150 even.

i've used both a haf 932 and corsair 650d and the corsair is the clear winner in every category IMHO
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:06:51 »
Too bad you're across the pond, I'm getting rid of a full-tower Lian Li case.  GLWYS!

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:07:39 »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146079 ~$110, probably can find cheaper.

It can have two 200 mm fans up top, two i think 160mm fans in the front has two 120 mm fans in the side and can also have another 200mm fan on the side. or you could just water cool EVERYTHING!. I have this case in a different color with stock cpu cooler and  and stock fans and my system has yet to get over 60 degrees Celsius
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:10:28 »
I love me my 650D but for your price range, I'd recommend the Corsair Air 540 http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case.html
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:33:53 »
My recommendations, depending on what you're looking for:

- Cooler Master HAF XM - great case if you ever have any intention of water cooling

- Cooler Master CM690 II  - still one of the best mid-towers out there for cooling and what you can do with it (dual 240mm rads anyone?).  And don't forget the sexy black and white version

- Corsair Carbide 500R - Good case, but overpriced IMO.

- Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 - fantastic case (I have the first version), though occasional QC issues pop up for some people. 

- Fractal Design Define XL- great quiet(er) case and a full tower.

- NZXT Phantom - good case, but with love it or hate it looks and too much plastic, IMO, but great for cooling.

- Silverstone RV02 - a little over budget, but great airflow, great cooling, and a unique case.

- Silverstone RV03 - not as good as the RV02, but still good and within budget.

- In Win GRone - it's a wonky looking case, but cools well and has some nice features.

- Aerocool X-Predator - The same case as the Rosewill Thor V2 and it comes in a ton of colors.  It's a full tower and one of the absolute best cases on the market for air cooling, but sucks for water cooling.  If you want a full tower and will only be doing air cooling, it's a top contender.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:39:12 »
My vote goes out to anything Corsair and Silverstone. If there's two companies pioneering in the case design world, it's those two.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:43:54 »
My vote goes out to anything Corsair and Silverstone. If there's two companies pioneering in the case design world, it's those two.

NZXT has done far more pioneering with cases of late than Corsair.  Even Cooler Master has done better than them of late.  The HAF XM, for example, is a mid-tower that can fit a 360mm rad with ease and Corsair's Carbide Air 540 is basically a HAF XB knock off.  Corsair is just really good at branding themselves and hyping their products.  They're not bad, but they're overpriced for what you get.  OP isn't in the U.S., but if you really want to see some brands that are doing some interesting things without costing a ton, look at Rosewill and Azza.

Silverstone has stagnated a little of late, but they do have some really interesting and unique designs.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:48:33 »

NZXT has done far more pioneering with cases of late than Corsair.  Even Cooler Master has done better than them of late.  The HAF XM, for example, is a mid-tower that can fit a 360mm rad with ease and Corsair's Carbide Air 540 is basically a HAF XB knock off.  Corsair is just really good at branding themselves and hyping their products.  They're not bad, but they're overpriced for what you get.  OP isn't in the U.S., but if you really want to see some brands that are doing some interesting things without costing a ton, look at Rosewill and Azza.

Silverstone has stagnated a little of late, but they do have some really interesting and unique designs.

i've built about a dozen computers this year for clients and i find corsair cases to be the easiest to work with.  I've used CM, Lian Li, Silverstones...all the big brands but that's just my opinion.

like i said above, i go with what is the easiest to build.  cable management, convenience, tool less designs, quick connect stuff etc.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:49:14 »
The new Corsair Air 540 has been getting awesome reviews from every site I know. Given the huge window, and hidden PSU / drive bays I am definitely in for one this fall.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:49:51 »

Remember the 800D? That thing STARTED cable routing holes. Not to mention the (arguable useless) hotswap bays in the front. Then there came the 900D recently, which is the epitome of an enthusiast case. Their larger cases are what they do best with, and they're always unique. Their smaller ones are great as well, though they may not be 100% unique. How about the no screw side panel design on the 650D and a lot of their other cases? I think they deserve more credit than they get some times.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:00:40 »
i've built about a dozen computers this year for clients and i find corsair cases to be the easiest to work with.  I've used CM, Lian Li, Silverstones...all the big brands but that's just my opinion.

like i said above, i go with what is the easiest to build.  cable management, convenience, tool less designs, quick connect stuff etc.

I've worked with many of those as well, didn't find Corsair to be any easier than the others.  Like I said, Corsair makes good cases, but my issue is what they charge for them and that their lower end cases are incredibly flimsy.  I'd recommend Corsair cases if they weren't so overpriced.  For example, I would never spend $130-140 on the 500R, not when there are better cases for the money; however, at $90-100, it's a great case.  Maybe not my top choice, but still a great case.

And, going off what you said you go for, I've actually found Fractal Design and NZXT to be two of the easiest to work with.  Silverstone cases require careful planning when you build in them, but you're paying for the build quality, the other interesting features, and the looks.

Remember the 800D? That thing STARTED cable routing holes. Not to mention the (arguable useless) hotswap bays in the front. Then there came the 900D recently, which is the epitome of an enthusiast case. Their larger cases are what they do best with, and they're always unique. Their smaller ones are great as well, though they may not be 100% unique. How about the no screw side panel design on the 650D and a lot of their other cases? I think they deserve more credit than they get some times.

Note, I said of late, not in general.  The 800D was a revolutionary case, but Corsair hasn't released anything revolutionary of late.  Even the 900D you mentioned is nothing special.  It's just a cheaper made and slightyly cheaper version of a CaseLabs case.  I saw nothing in the 900D that hasn't already been done.  Does that mean it's a bad case?  Not in the least, but it's not revolutionary.  And the no screw design is interesting, not revolutionary.  I'll stand by my claim that the biggest innovator with computer cases right now is NZXT.  I'm not a fan of how much plastic they use, but they are constantly trying out new things and bringing more features to the table that enthusiasts like, more so than Corsair.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:05:12 »

I've worked with many of those as well, didn't find Corsair to be any easier than the others.  Like I said, Corsair makes good cases, but my issue is what they charge for them and that their lower end cases are incredibly flimsy.  I'd recommend Corsair cases if they weren't so overpriced.  For example, I would never spend $130-140 on the 500R, not when there are better cases for the money; however, at $90-100, it's a great case.  Maybe not my top choice, but still a great case.

And, going off what you said you go for, I've actually found Fractal Design and NZXT to be two of the easiest to work with.  Silverstone cases require careful planning when you build in them, but you're paying for the build quality, the other interesting features, and the looks.

Note, I said of late, not in general.  The 800D was a revolutionary case, but Corsair hasn't released anything revolutionary of late.  Even the 900D you mentioned is nothing special.  It's just a cheaper made and slightyly cheaper version of a CaseLabs case.  I saw nothing in the 900D that hasn't already been done.  Does that mean it's a bad case?  Not in the least, but it's not revolutionary.  And the no screw design is interesting, not revolutionary.  I'll stand by my claim that the biggest innovator with computer cases right now is NZXT.  I'm not a fan of how much plastic they use, but they are constantly trying out new things and bringing more features to the table that enthusiasts like, more so than Corsair.

I can definitely agree with that. Their connector-less fan system and their overall designs have been pretty sweet lately. I've been equally impressed with Fractal and Bitfenix too.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline tgujay

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:17:34 »

My dad had an Antec case he got with his ABS PC in like 2004 that had a screwless lockable side panel.  Man Corsair really got original there >_>
Gotta collect them all

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:20:13 »
Tell me this isn't a sexy case:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:31:54 »
I can definitely agree with that. Their connector-less fan system and their overall designs have been pretty sweet lately. I've been equally impressed with Fractal and Bitfenix too.

I have an Arc Mini and love it, but FD has had some tolerance and QC issues of late.  They've definitely pushed some ideas about cases, like you can't get a nice full featured thicker steel case for under $100 and that silence doesn't mean bad air cooling, but they grew too big too quickly and are still struggling with how to effectively scale their production and have proper quality and QC.

Bitfenix I hate.  I got their Ghost for review and it was one of the worst thought out and most poorly designed cases I've worked with.  On top of that, they had the audacity to charge $100 for the case when it competes in quality with $70 cases.  I've been equally unimpressed with the Prodigies I've played with.  Sure, just about every case is a step up from the Survivor, but the really have a long way to go on build quality, design, features, and so on. 

Show Image

It's interesting looking, but it's just a HAF XB turned on its side.  The big deal breaker for me with that case is how limited you are with storage.  It holds all of two HDDs.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:37:27 »

My dad had an Antec case he got with his ABS PC in like 2004 that had a screwless lockable side panel.  Man Corsair really got original there >_>

Not that screwless designs haven't been done, but the implementation that they used was unique and inherently like-able.

I have an Arc Mini and love it, but FD has had some tolerance and QC issues of late.  They've definitely pushed some ideas about cases, like you can't get a nice full featured thicker steel case for under $100 and that silence doesn't mean bad air cooling, but they grew too big too quickly and are still struggling with how to effectively scale their production and have proper quality and QC.

Bitfenix I hate.  I got their Ghost for review and it was one of the worst thought out and most poorly designed cases I've worked with.  On top of that, they had the audacity to charge $100 for the case when it competes in quality with $70 cases.  I've been equally unimpressed with the Prodigies I've played with.  Sure, just about every case is a step up from the Survivor, but the really have a long way to go on build quality, design, features, and so on. 

Show Image

It's interesting looking, but it's just a HAF XB turned on its side.  The big deal breaker for me with that case is how limited you are with storage.  It holds all of two HDDs.

Two 3.5" HDD's and a boat load of 2.5" drives as well. Not to mention, who uses more than two 3.5" drives anyway?
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:40:36 »
Show Image

It looks like it could have been a mini-fridge in a former life.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:42:03 »
Guys :( You so confusing :( Its interesting watching you discuss ****, so I'm not going to moan about thread crapping :D
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:46:51 »
Two 3.5" HDD's and a boat load of 2.5" drives as well. Not to mention, who uses more than two 3.5" drives anyway?

I have 3 HDDs and, ideally, would have a minimum of 4 so I can assure data redundancy across drives.  If I start doing more photography again, even 4 is too few.  SSDs are great and all, but unless your computer is only a gaming computer and you don't have a ton of music, movies, and/or photos on your computer, 2 HDDs isn't enough for a lot of people.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:47:22 »

I have 3 HDDs and, ideally, would have a minimum of 4 so I can assure data redundancy across drives.  If I start doing more photography again, even 4 is too few.  SSDs are great and all, but unless your computer is only a gaming computer and you don't have a ton of music, movies, and/or photos on your computer, 2 HDDs isn't enough for a lot of people.

2.5" HDDs ;)
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:57:04 »
2.5" HDDs ;)

Smaller max size and more expensive for higher storage amounts.  Why spend $180 on a 2TB 2.5" WD Green when you can grab a faster 2TB 3.5" HDD for as low as $100, sometimes lower?  And why spend $90 on a 1TB 7200RPM 2.5" driver when you can get a 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" drive for $70-80? 

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 13:59:03 »
2.5" HDDs ;)

Smaller max size and more expensive for higher storage amounts.  Why spend $180 on a 2TB 2.5" WD Green when you can grab a faster 2TB 3.5" HDD for as low as $100, sometimes lower?  And why spend $90 on a 1TB 7200RPM 2.5" driver when you can get a 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" drive for $70-80? 

I wuz jus sayin bruh. The 540 isn't meant to be a storage case, it's a watercooler's field day case. Most average people have no more than two 3.5" HDD's and a single or even two SSD's. I feel the case has it's own market and serves its exact purpose.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline tgujay

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 14:20:49 »

2.5" HDDs ;)

Please find me a 3TB 7200rpm 2.5" drive for $110.  I have a 256GB SSD and a 3TB 7200 with another 2 1TB 7200 drives, 2 hard drive slots is not a lot.
Gotta collect them all

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 14:22:10 »

2.5" HDDs ;)

Please find me a 3TB 7200rpm 2.5" drive for $110.  I have a 256GB SSD and a 3TB 7200 with another 2 1TB 7200 drives, 2 hard drive slots is not a lot.

I never said it was a lot. I agree it's few, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. If you need more HDD space, get a different case.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 14:27:25 »
Please find me a 3TB 7200rpm 2.5" drive for $110.

I would be in for a dozen or so of these ;)

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:23:07 »
I run a couple of Antecs, a 902 and a 182. Although the 182 is really just because I wanted it quiet. The 902 is my main case the last 3 years, but its far too budget to be considered great, plus mine is full and a bugger to work on now. It's air cooling power is pretty superb, I was going to swap it to a corsair 600 recently until I found the cooling specs on the corsair were really quite terrible, another corsair I looked at (C70) had similar lousy specs, maybe its just biased reviews.

I pretty much decided that it was Silverstone or Lian Li for me, I'm gonna try pick up a silverstone FT02 (£180 new though, over 120 on eBay still) or an RV02 as second option. I read great things about the CM HAF932, I just can't stand the sight of it. Fractals I read great things about too, but never worked on them myself. A full ALU case would be nice, but the prices are extreme.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:27:34 »
Tym, Nubbinator is your main man when it comes to this
listen to him  :cool:

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:41:26 »

- Silverstone RV02 - a little over budget, but great airflow, great cooling, and a unique case.

nubbinator gave the best advice, IMO.  I edited his recommendations down to the top 3 choices (shown above).  You should get one of these.  Any of the cases listed will perform well, and will look great, and will still be great in the fall, when the heat abates.  But please note that your ambient room temperature, will always be an upper bound on the cooling capacity of any computer case (even a water cooled one).  For example, a 30C room will greatly limit your ability to cool your computer components, since you will be blowing 30C air into the case.  With that said, the more fans you have, the better your case will be at getting the relatively cooler air into your case, and the hotter air back out, however, the tradeoff is that the more fans you have the louder your rig gets.  A small window air conditioner would do more to lower your temps.  But this will of course raise your electric bill.  Although if you put the AC unit and the computer in your bedroom, you might sleep better as well.

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:41:55 »
Fractal design r4 is my fav case to build with for the price. Its insulated and simple but sexy. **** those"gamer" cases especially the haf series

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:22:13 »
I agree with Nubbinators picks as well.  I peeked around Amazon.uk a bit and noticed that cases are expensive there.  Is there a particular shop or online store you shop from (Link?) so that we can see what you have available? 

Of the cases I saw on Amazon under $100 uk, I would go for the the R4, or this:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-Design-Arc-Series-Case/dp/B0056AFBB2/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1374621415&sr=8-15&keywords=computer+case
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:25:43 »
Thank you very much to everyone I think I'm going to go for the
Fractal Design Define XL R2

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:33:57 »
Thank you very much to everyone I think I'm going to go for the
Fractal Design Define XL R2

Excellent choice!
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 04:57:57 »
2.5" HDDs ;)

The HDD market is awkward. I bought a SATA3 500GB WD for €35 w/ 3-year warranty two years ago. The same HDD costs €55 and has only 2-year warranty nowadays. Meanwhile, 2.5" 500GB WD Black can be had for €60 and has 5-year warranty (and lower power consumption).

It's an oligopoly after all...

Offline 222lu222

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 09:18:56 »
My recommendations, depending on what you're looking for:

- Cooler Master HAF XM - great case if you ever have any intention of water cooling

- Cooler Master CM690 II  - still one of the best mid-towers out there for cooling and what you can do with it (dual 240mm rads anyone?).  And don't forget the sexy black and white version

- Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 - fantastic case (I have the first version), though occasional QC issues pop up for some people. 

- NZXT Phantom - good case, but with love it or hate it looks and too much plastic, IMO, but great for cooling.

- Silverstone RV03 - not as good as the RV02, but still good and within budget.

- In Win GRone - it's a wonky looking case, but cools well and has some nice features.

- Aerocool X-Predator - The same case as the Rosewill Thor V2 and it comes in a ton of colors.  It's a full tower and one of the absolute best cases on the market for air cooling, but sucks for water cooling.  If you want a full tower and will only be doing air cooling, it's a top contender.
Wow that aero cool x-predator looks amazing I also like that in Win GRone. But for air cooling the aero cool would be better? Do they sell those 2 cases by any chance in the US? And how much I tried finding them but can't also what fans do you recommend to buy for this cAse? I've heard good stuff about the corsair sp fans and also the noctua fans. And another question as far as performance goes is it better to get 4 120mm fans on the side or 1 200mm fan, which would give better cooling and be quiter? Thanks for the help I am going to be building a pc but an still looking for a case. Thanks for reading this :) ( not that I want to hijack your thread if you do not want this here I can easily delete this sorry for any inconvenience)
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 July 2013, 09:27:37 by 222lu222 »

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 12:43:22 »
I got me a Fractal Design R4. Best case ever.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 13:05:18 »
Wow that aero cool x-predator looks amazing I also like that in Win GRone. But for air cooling the aero cool would be better? Do they sell those 2 cases by any chance in the US? And how much I tried finding them but can't also what fans do you recommend to buy for this cAse? I've heard good stuff about the corsair sp fans and also the noctua fans. And another question as far as performance goes is it better to get 4 120mm fans on the side or 1 200mm fan, which would give better cooling and be quiter? Thanks for the help I am going to be building a pc but an still looking for a case. Thanks for reading this :) ( not that I want to hijack your thread if you do not want this here I can easily delete this sorry for any inconvenience)

As said in the post, the X-Predator is sold as the Rosewill Thor V2, Newegg's house brand.

Fans depend on your budget, but Corsair fans are nothing special. 

Personally, I never use a side mounted fan.  If anything, they make my cooling performance worse, though that's not always the case.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:06:24 »

As said in the post, the X-Predator is sold as the Rosewill Thor V2, Newegg's house brand.

Personally, I never use a side mounted fan.  If anything, they make my cooling performance worse, though that's not always the case.

A side fan is nice if you have a beefy GPU setup and need the extra air / need to remove the extra air. Otherwise it just creates more noise than necessary and can be screwy with the airflow of the case.

As for 222lu222, Fans I'd recommend investing in are Noctua and Gelid's. I put a good $80 or so into new fans for my PC when I got my Sabertooth Z77 and though my temps only dropped a few degrees celsius, the amount of silence I achieved was incredible. Not to mention I was also able to disable the top two fans when the computer was below 40C and that was a good 80% of the time since I got them.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 16:02:47 »
Remember the 800D? That thing STARTED cable routing holes. Not to mention the (arguable useless) hotswap bays in the front.
Both were taken from long established Supermicro workstation cases.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline 222lu222

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 19:02:16 »

Sorry for me getting confused, about the case. But if i were to get the Thor v2 you would recommend taking off the side 200mm fan? Or what would you recommend doing? And thanks for clearing up my question with the case.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 19:12:29 »
If you get better temps with it on and it's not too loud, keep it on.  I just personally don't care for side fans and, in my setups, usually see performance hits from them.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 23:32:38 »
I recently built in a Corsair Carbide 200R and overall it was a nice build. Very clean interior layout and cable management, though not as robust as Corsair's higher end chassis, it's a good budget box. My main rig is in a 650D, and I love it. I don't like full towers, so I stayed away from 800D (900D wasn't out when I got my 650D).

I'm running a Corsair H60 liquid cooler in the Carbide 200R on an i5 3570k at stock clocks and it idles at 28-30C with around 22-24C ambient temps. Doesn't get over 50C with a full prime95 load. My 650D has an i7 2600k with a Corsair H100i and it runs around 30-33C idle at stock clocks.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 00:14:19 »
Going to vote for a Fractal Design Define R4.  My favorite case to have built in so far, out of 6 builds in the past year and a half, and I've gone small (Bitfenix Prodigy) and huge (Silverstone FT02 in silver with window), and medium (Fractal Design Arc Mini), and a few others.  My only complaint about Define R4 is a somewhat loose front panel.  But I absolutely love everything about the case otherwise, including noise insulation and good temperatures (H100i as front intake).  Mine is white with a window.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 03:15:01 »
Computer cases are for N00bs.

Pros just leave the box open.

you can run all the fan on the lowest setting, and it still out performs vs when you close the case.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 08:36:44 »
Computer cases are for N00bs.

Pros just leave the box open.

you can run all the fan on the lowest setting, and it still out performs vs when you close the case.

Mineral Oil cooled or go home. N00B
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 08:39:24 »
I don't see why the quotes from people you have blocked show up? Also why don't we have a flag for spam button? Anyhow my Fractal Design XL R2 arrived today, freaking huge! Haven't even got it out of the box yet, need a second person :(

Offline 222lu222

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 11:11:52 »
I don't see why the quotes from people you have blocked show up? Also why don't we have a flag for spam button? Anyhow my Fractal Design XL R2 arrived today, freaking huge! Haven't even got it out of the box yet, need a second person :(
Make sure to tell us how you liked it when your done  ;D. Some pictures maybe? Anyways good luck and hope you enjoy it!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 11:16:03 »
Pictures are guaranteed :D