Author Topic: Went to a farm today  (Read 9149 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Went to a farm today
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:37:11 »
That's funny, because it's pretty darn easy to do both.  Sounds like they didn't know how to make good vegetarian foods and relied heavily on salt and dairy to make it better tasting.

Aaand this was a pizza/pasta restaurant!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:38:00 »
Congrats on breaking 1000 posts!   ;D

I've been a vegetarian myself, since about 2002.  (And also lived in Texas, but that was only for three years...)  Get a little protein anxious once in a while, but I eat a lot of edamame, legumes, and have soy milk on my breakfast cereal. 

In some ways I think the influx of tech workers from Asia has increased the demand for vegetarian options.  More and more grocery stores carry veggie options in pre-packaged meals, like the Amy's line, or various Indian dishes.  There are also a lot of dishes that work fine when done as vegetarian, like risotto and chili. 

Making me hungry...

Thai food is a godsend as is Trader Joe's.  And it's fun to experiment with different vegetarian dishes.  If you like Risotto, try making it with Soyrizo, a little lime, a little cilantor, and vegan sour cream.  It's tasty.

I forgot about Thai!  Love their soups...  I used to work in Bellevue (Seattle suburb), and there was a pho restaurant walking distance from the office that had a whole vegetarian menu.  Kind of like a McDonalds  that offered veggie burgers, I suppose.   :))

My favorite risotto recipe is wild mushroom risotto, substituting mushroom or vegetable broth for the chicken stock, and plenty of fresh thyme cooked with the mushrooms before adding them to the rice mixture.  I'm not vegan, so I do still eat dairy once in a while, especially pecorino romano in risotto.  I'll have to give your recipe a try!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:42:15 »
I forgot about Thai!  Love their soups...  I used to work in Bellevue (Seattle suburb), and there was a pho restaurant walking distance from the office that had a whole vegetarian menu.  Kind of like a McDonalds  that offered veggie burgers, I suppose.   :))

My favorite risotto recipe is wild mushroom risotto, substituting mushroom or vegetable broth for the chicken stock, and plenty of fresh thyme cooked with the mushrooms before adding them to the rice mixture.  I'm not vegan, so I do still eat dairy once in a while, especially pecorino romano in risotto.  I'll have to give your recipe a try!

Pho is Vietnamese ;)  I'm sure you know that though.  I lived in Seattle for a while and that's the thing I miss the most, all the amazing vegetable pho you could get.  The Thai food wasn't bad there either, though most places (I'm looking at you In The Bowl) couldn't make curries spicey enough for me.  And if you wanted pizza, Pizza Pi had some awesome vegan pizzas.  I also miss the farmers market and how easy it was to find kohlrabi.

That risotto sounds awesome.  The last risotto I made before the soyrizo risotto (which was for an italian/french/mexican fusion dinner I did) was a beet risotto that was also tasty.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:52:01 »

Pho is Vietnamese ;)  I'm sure you know that though.  I lived in Seattle for a while and that's the thing I miss the most, all the amazing vegetable pho you could get.  The Thai food wasn't bad there either, though most places (I'm looking at you In The Bowl) couldn't make curries spicey enough for me.  And if you wanted pizza, Pizza Pi had some awesome vegan pizzas.  I also miss the farmers market and how easy it was to find kohlrabi.

That risotto sounds awesome.  The last risotto I made before the soyrizo risotto (which was for an italian/french/mexican fusion dinner I did) was a beet risotto that was also tasty.

I tend to conflate the two, but you're absolutely right, pho is Vietnamese.    :confused:

The pho restaurant I liked the best in Bellevue was What the Pho.  Speaking of, one of the Vietnamese restaurants I tried in Texas was called Pho Que.  No lie.  Not sure how they got that one past the business board.   :p

I haven't tried beet risotto, but I hear good things about beets in general.  One of the top ten foods that we should be eating more of, as a matter of fact.  Right up there with kale and pepitas.  I have a recipe for asparagus risotto that I need to try as well, but risotto is one of those dishes I only make once in a while, lot of calories there and I'm trying to lose some weight. 

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:29:08 »
I went to a free range farm about a month ago to buy some fresh chickens.  I saw these little guys and I got hungry for some goat taco's. 

Show Image

I try not to eat animals based on how good they taste.

Because doing so is feeding an unnecessary mental demand for satisifaction [sic]. Where the true purpose of consumption is thwarted; that being the need to recharge.

This has got to be the most depressing philosophy of life that I have ever heard.  It's some perversion of asceticism, but without forbearance of all food, just a forbearance of enjoyable food.  I reject such a philosophy as ridiculous, and instead follow the way of the Buddha, Jesus Christ, and Muhammad who all rejected asceticism for an epicurean way of life.  All saw that every meal is a chance to savor and enjoy life, rather than as a means to merely "recharge".   The Buddha found enlightenment in a bowl of rice milk.  Jesus Christ drank wine and danced at weddings.  The Muslims believe that so long as you obey G*D's dietary law (i.e., the halal dietary restrictions), you should endeavor to enjoy every meal since it is a glimpse of the eternal rewards of pleasure awaiting in heaven, which should be celebrated here on Earth. 

The philosophy of Epicurus is often understood to mean "Eat, Drink and Be Merry for You May Die Tomorrow."  And while this is part of it, true Epicureanism can be summarized thusly:

It is impossible to live a pleasant life without living wisely and well and justly, and it is impossible to live wisely and well and justly without living a pleasant life.  To live a pleasant life, one must seek neither to harm others nor to be harmed by others.  One should further seek to live in obscurity, and to get through life without drawing attention to oneself, and to live without pursuing glory or wealth or power, but anonymously, enjoying little things like food, and the company of friends.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:12:07 »
Please do not (not looking at eth0s in particular) turn this into a religious discussion.

I just thought you guys would like to see some Aussie/unusual animals :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:24:54 »
I went to a free range farm about a month ago to buy some fresh chickens.  I saw these little guys and I got hungry for some goat taco's. 

Show Image

I try not to eat animals based on how good they taste.

Because doing so is feeding an unnecessary mental demand for satisifaction [sic]. Where the true purpose of consumption is thwarted; that being the need to recharge.

This has got to be the most depressing philosophy of life that I have ever heard.  It's some perversion of asceticism, but without forbearance of all food, just a forbearance of enjoyable food.  I reject such a philosophy as ridiculous, and instead follow the way of the Buddha, Jesus Christ, and Muhammad who all rejected asceticism for an epicurean way of life.  All saw that every meal is a chance to savor and enjoy life, rather than as a means to merely "recharge".   The Buddha found enlightenment in a bowl of rice milk.  Jesus Christ drank wine and danced at weddings.  The Muslims believe that so long as you obey G*D's dietary law (i.e., the halal dietary restrictions), you should endeavor to enjoy every meal since it is a glimpse of the eternal rewards of pleasure awaiting in heaven, which should be celebrated here on Earth. 

The philosophy of Epicurus is often understood to mean "Eat, Drink and Be Merry for You May Die Tomorrow."  And while this is part of it, true Epicureanism can be summarized thusly:

It is impossible to live a pleasant life without living wisely and well and justly, and it is impossible to live wisely and well and justly without living a pleasant life.  To live a pleasant life, one must seek neither to harm others nor to be harmed by others.  One should further seek to live in obscurity, and to get through life without drawing attention to oneself, and to live without pursuing glory or wealth or power, but anonymously, enjoying little things like food, and the company of friends.

I don't want to get too far into religion..

But they're totally wrong, and it is evident that the most wealthy and educated classes move further and further from religion.

They might keep the SOCIAL aspect of it, going to church etc,  but I have enough of these friends that straight up pointed their finger at god during exam time, and then still go to church// synagogue to meet easy religious girls..

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:22:31 »
Dude, he just said not to make this into a religion debate/discussion.  Lets talk more about kangaroo eggs.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:25:02 »
Dude, he just said not to make this into a religion debate/discussion.  Lets talk more about kangaroo eggs.

They don't lay eggs.

One had a joey and it went in and out of the mother's pouch.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:28:20 »
They don't lay eggs.

One had a joey and it went in and out of the mother's pouch.

I though all native Australian animals laid eggs.  And I thought drop bears were a serious problem there too.  Is that not the case? 

And now I'm picturing some spastic little animal jumping in and out repeatedly and annoying the mommy kanagaroo.

Offline Topre

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:32:33 »
Did you know human meat has one of the highest protein to weight ratios of all meats?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:33:30 »
Did you know human meat has one of the highest protein to weight ratios of all meats?

Time to change my diet. Need to get me some of dat human meat....

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:38:30 »

Time to change my diet. Need to get me some of dat human meat....

Mmmmm the 'other' 'other' red meat.....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 22:45:15 »
Drop bears are urban myth, if you were being serious ;)

Yes, the joey does tend to climb in and out as it wishes.  It also seemed way too big for the punch, considering the size of the mother.

Offline iri

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 01:25:09 »
recently we've been to a vegetarian restaurant, enjoying some mung dal, alu gobi and gauranga.

we ate four delicious chicken wings in carl's junior afterwards though.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury