Author Topic: Unforseen Space Issue... (pics)  (Read 4817 times)

Offline abdulmuhsee

Unforseen Space Issue... (pics)
« on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 22:33:56 »
So even though I already kind of knew this problem existed, I have a very small amount of desk space which is being hogged by an unnecessarily bulky and protruding monitor base:

While researching the two boards I'm primarily interested in, namely the Matias Mini Quiet Pro and the Unicomp Classic 101, I noticed that my ALPS board has a convenient "notch" for guiding the cord that has nullified the monitor problem.  The notch simply rests atop the lip of the monitor base and holds it in place:

The two aforementioned boards, however, have bottoms that are a featureless terrain: completely smooth with nothing to "hook" onto the monitor base, and to top it off, the rubber feet aren't particularly big on either, so they would probably be sliding like crazy.  Keyboard feet do not reach the desk when extended, so any keyboard would be propped up by the monitor.

Computer monitors aren't cheap, unless you're buying a hideously damaged one, and a new desk isn't an option either, so am I essentially stuck with my ALPS board forever now, or is there a solution that does not involve double-sided tape?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: Unforseen Space Issue... (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 22:37:10 »
Wall mount the monitor?
Hack the base to give you more room edge to wall while sacrificing some left to right space?

Unforeseen Consequences, you say?
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 22:38:02 »
In terms of cable routing at least some Realforce boards have cable routing similar to your ALPS.  Though as inteli722 said wall mounting the Dell? monitor would help.
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 22:58:37 »
My wife would kill me if I started drilling holes into the wall, and I don't think there are any that fit the backplate of my monitor, having looked for something like that awhile back.

Would, say, getting a bunch of rubber feet and attempting to make it super slip resistant on the bottom edge work?

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:39:01 »
Just get a desk-mounted arm, drill into the desk instead!  There are some that clamp onto the edge of the desk too, if there's room for it.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:39:03 »
Something like this wall mount should be pretty close to universal--you just need to check the spacing of the existing mounting screw positions on the back of the monitor to be sure. Two lag screws on the wall side will hold it nicely (make sure they are in a stud). That leaves just two small drywall holes to patch if and when you move it. Not a big deal, really. To me it would be a much better solution than trying to find a compromise keyboard for a tiny amount of space like that, and as a bonus you'd be able to position the monitor much more precisely for your viewing angle and height.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:55:29 »
The desk-mounted arm is a pretty good idea, but my monitor doesn't actually have any kind of screw in the back; it attaches to a specific Dell mount that looks like this, which is only offered on Dell stands:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:10:30 »
The desk-mounted arm is a pretty good idea, but my monitor doesn't actually have any kind of screw in the back; it attaches to a specific Dell mount that looks like this, which is only offered on Dell stands:

Show Image

take those 4 screws off.  attach vesa to that silver plate..

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:19:48 »
Okay, so what about building a little stand for the monitor?

3 small pieces of wood, sits on your desk, monitor sits on the stand, keyboard (and your hands) go under the stand.

Here, I make you a thing

Very very crude thing.

Would thing work?
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:21:53 »
Okay, so what about building a little stand for the monitor?

3 small pieces of wood, sits on your desk, monitor sits on the stand, keyboard (and your hands) go under the stand.

Here, I make you a thing
Show Image

Very very crude thing.

Would thing work?

no you don't want this..

just buy a swivel desk mount, and do the thing I said.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:28:04 »
Would thing work?

Perhaps, o mocking one.  It's definitely been put on the list of solutions, but in order for the stand to accommodate the monitor, it would cover most of the keyboard due to the very short desk its on and would have to be fairly high to not hit my knuckles while typing.

Show Image

[/quote]

Wait, I'm starting to see what you mean.  I have to actually take off the monitor again to see if I can unscrew the plate, but yeah, you're saying I can just screw that mounting plate onto the desk mount.

Any good desk mount to recommend?

Offline calavera

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:29:59 »
I'm pretty sure all Dell monitors support standard VESA mounts so there are holes for the VESA screws. I'd just buy a desk arm stand for it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:31:55 »
Would thing work?

Perhaps, o mocking one.  It's definitely been put on the list of solutions, but in order for the stand to accommodate the monitor, it would cover most of the keyboard due to the very short desk its on and would have to be fairly high to not hit my knuckles while typing.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wait, I'm starting to see what you mean.  I have to actually take off the monitor again to see if I can unscrew the plate, but yeah, you're saying I can just screw that mounting plate onto the desk mount.

Any good desk mount to recommend?
[/quote]

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=6421&seq=1&format=2

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:33:21 »
I'm pretty sure all Dell monitors support standard VESA mounts so there are holes for the VESA screws. I'd just buy a desk arm stand for it.

Or better yet, I wouldn't even need a desk arm if I got a VESA stand with a very flat base that wouldn't touch the keyboard; to ebay I go!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:36:14 »

Or better yet, I wouldn't even need a desk arm if I got a VESA stand with a very flat base that wouldn't touch the keyboard; to ebay I go!

desk stand wastes space.. and honestly at $23, how could you get much cheaper than that.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:41:44 »
desk stand wastes space.. and honestly at $23, how could you get much cheaper than that.

I may very well get that; I'm just finagling it with my eyes to figure out if I could actually get the monitor centered from where I'd need to mount it while still having it far enough back.

Edit: Damn, this desk only has 1 1/4" of space on the outside after the fringe, and the desk mounts need, like, 3" of space there.

There is a stud directly behind the monitor, at least according to the electronic stud finder, and something like this seems relatively non-destructive:

Is it really just a matter of putting two screws into the wall?
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 01:19:08 by abdulmuhsee »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 01:37:16 »

I may very well get that; I'm just finagling it with my eyes to figure out if I could actually get the monitor centered from where I'd need to mount it while still having it far enough back.

Edit: Damn, this desk only has 1 1/4" of space on the outside after the fringe, and the desk mounts need, like, 3" of space there.

There is a stud directly behind the monitor, at least according to the electronic stud finder, and something like this seems relatively non-destructive:

Show Image

Is it really just a matter of putting two screws into the wall?

Um..

yea, if you have a stud wall mount is good too.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 01:57:24 »
Um..

Show Image

?

The area behind my monitor is a stud, so screwing it in there, right?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 02:00:38 »
Um..

Show Image

?

The area behind my monitor is a stud, so screwing it in there, right?

Yea, i needed a comma in my previous post.

it goes,  Stud - drywall - mount.

Use LONG wood screws if you're going to do this.

The included drywall kits usually suck..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 03:38:47 »
You could get a wrist rest made that underneath is contoured to fit around the monitor base, and your keyboard would be able to sit above the protruding monitor base.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:27:56 »
For a buck or two you can buy anti-slip rubber/plastic/silicon feet and stick them to your keyboard bottoms. These will rest nicely against the bottom of the monitor. This is an easy solution, problem is only that I don't know the retail optinos where you live.

My wife would kill me if I started drilling holes into the wall, and I don't think there are any that fit the backplate of my monitor, having looked for something like that awhile back.

Would, say, getting a bunch of rubber feet and attempting to make it super slip resistant on the bottom edge work?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:57:19 »
Just as people were saying...deskmounted arm for your monitor.  Dells support VESA standard you just have to figure out how your monitor is done (and it sounds like people have already pointed you in the right direction.

This will get you a better height for your monitor (if it isn't ideal already) and it'll save you a TON of desk space..

Even for people that don't have the space restriction you do, mounting arms are so much better than using desk stand....

It is literally like going from Full size Keyboard to TKL as far as a space revelation..

Offline jameslr

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:16:54 »
Keyboard drawer? Does the keyboard have to be on the desk??
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 12:26:46 »

Generally, but sometimes they're necessary. I have a convertible sit/stand desk, so wall mounting isn't really viable in that situation.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 17:39:51 »
You could get a wrist rest made that underneath is contoured to fit around the monitor base, and your keyboard would be able to sit above the protruding monitor base.

That's a pretty good idea too, if there was a rest that raised the entire level of the desk around the stand, but that's something I'd have to literally have here at the house before I knew if it would work or not.

For a buck or two you can buy anti-slip rubber/plastic/silicon feet and stick them to your keyboard bottoms. These will rest nicely against the bottom of the monitor. This is an easy solution, problem is only that I don't know the retail optinos where you live.

Using tape or rubber would be the "redneck keyboard" route that I'll probably use as a last resort.

Keyboard drawer? Does the keyboard have to be on the desk??

Any links for what you have in mind?

Just as people were saying...deskmounted arm for your monitor.  Dells support VESA standard you just have to figure out how your monitor is done (and it sounds like people have already pointed you in the right direction.

This will get you a better height for your monitor (if it isn't ideal already) and it'll save you a TON of desk space..

Even for people that don't have the space restriction you do, mounting arms are so much better than using desk stand....

It is literally like going from Full size Keyboard to TKL as far as a space revelation..

A desk mount swivel arm actually won't clamp to my desk securely, since there's barely over an inch of lip before a fringe of vertical wood.  The clamps need at least three inches.

I'm fairly certain, at this point, that I'm going to try the wall mount since I was fortunate enough to have a stud where the monitor would theoretically be mounted.  I'd have to put it in when the wife was away since she'd undoubtedly walk in at the sound of power tools, but once the monitor is on the wall, I doubt she'd even notice.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 18:13:09 »

There are a few GH members who re wizards with wood :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 19:55:30 »
Are the screws in a square, 75 mm between centres? In that case, they would constitute a VESA mount, which would mean that you could change the monitor stand.
🍉

Offline PhineasRex

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 13:51:39 »

Show Image

I have a Dell monitor with the same stand. Where the stand connects there are four screw hole to attach a VESA mount to. You can find a nice clamped monitor stand that connects to it for ~$30.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 15:36:13 »
I have a Dell monitor with the same stand. Where the stand connects there are four screw hole to attach a VESA mount to. You can find a nice clamped monitor stand that connects to it for ~$30.

Thanks for the VESA confirmation. 

If by clamped, you mean clamped to the desk, then that won't work with mine due to the narrow lip.

Offline jameslr

CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR