Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 450600 times)

Offline NKRO

Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 22:14:47 »
According to PFU's official site, the power offered by USB hubs are 100mA. I would guess the same thing applies regardless if you have the Pro2 or the Pro2 Type-S or if you have the Lite2 variant. PFU has also mentioned some of the limitations with the USB hub onboard the HHKB series (that have USB hubs): http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/notice.html

I would say from my personal point of view is that it is not the keyboard itself that requires lots of power but possibly because of the limitations in the controller allows maximum drawing of 200mA total apart from the keyboard itself. Which again is 100mA max per port and there's only two sockets.
Thanks for the links, it's good to have actual numbers from the manufacturer. I've had difficulty connecting my keyboard to some older MacBooks for example, and as soon as it's connected to a powered hub, they see the keyboard every time.
I had the same problem with my desktop PC - everything was running off a bus-powered extension/hub, and I had to connect a power brick to it for the keyboard to work reliably. (with nothing plugged into the keyboard's ports)
So I would not be surprised if mobile devices have trouble with this keyboard.

With such low power limits on the ports, I've had difficulty finding much that can actually use them. The only thing I have which has worked, has been an SD card reader.

As for the volume up, volume down, eject, mute keys. On linux here I can see that with HHKB under windows mode it sends out the same key codes: 38, 39, 40, 41. These are a, s d, f respectively. Even with Fn key pressed they send out the exact same key codes. I recalled on PFU's official page that those media keys only work on Mac. So I unplugged my HHKB and flipped the first DIP to on (it was previously off, factory default as with every other DIP switches). When I plugged my HHKB back in and ran the same tool again. This time holding down the Fn key produced different key codes: 122, 123, 121, 198. These were again a, s, d, f but with the Fn key held down and with the first DIP switch turned on.
I wish I knew how those translated to Windows keycodes. I tried running AutoHotKey and it reports Fn+F as "F20" which makes sense if you look at an old Apple keyboard which had F1-F16 and then Vol_Dn/Up/Mute/Eject.

Fn+A/S/D are not reporting anything to AHK though. I had hoped it would be F17/18/19.
I tried remapping F17/18/19 via Sharp Keys anyway (0x0068/69/6A) but they don't seem to work.

It's a Pro 2 Type-S that I have, but that shouldn't make a difference.
This basically tells me two things:
  • Media keys and power key only works when HHKB is in Mac mode.
  • Media keys and power key also requires Fn key to be depressed. Though I am sure most of you would be aware of that already.
I ran the command "xev" under linux to get the key codes. I guess if one were to be in windows they still need to in the very least enable HHKB in Mac mode to be able to make use of the extra keys that were once reserved for Macs. Actually there is a mentioning on the PFU site: http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/hhkb_support/faq_pro.html
Yes, I do run the keyboard in Mac Mode. I forget the specific reason why, I think the right meta key was not functioning as a Windows key?

The problem is that none of the utilities I have tried using to remap the keys detect the Vol_Dn/Up/Mute as a keypress. (Fn+A/S/D)
I've found that the Eject (Fn+F) works, and so does */-+ (Fn+j/m/h/n) so in the meantime, I have j/m for "Next/Prev" and h/n for "Media" (launches the player) and "Stop".
I'd really like to get Fn+A/S/D working though.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #351 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 01:19:38 »
I...I just ordered my HHKB. Oh my god, I can't believe it. BRB when my wallet recovers....

Congrats!!

This will be you in a few short weeks:
Show Image

:))

So much truth in this, lol. Going to finish my Poker and then sell off some of my other boards. They won't be seeing a whole lot of use now....

Hey you're from MN nice! Cool purple brobot icon! Yeah the HHKB and a ten key pad is all ya need. I do want to build a poker 2 though.

Did the silence mod!

Show Image

Looks amazing. Could you do a video of how that sounds like?

Thank You! Yes I made one for you! the ten key is browns w/ red o-rings. The HHKB is stock 45g w 3/16" medium dental bands.

Ive got photos here too: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51403.0

Show Image

Show Image

Yay someone else covered in tattoos (on their fingers) <3
I hate everything.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #352 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 01:20:42 »
I...I just ordered my HHKB. Oh my god, I can't believe it. BRB when my wallet recovers....

Congrats!!

Show Image

So much truth in this, lol. Going to finish my Poker and then sell off some of my other boards. They won't be seeing a whole lot of use now....

Hey you're from MN nice! Cool purple brobot icon! Yeah the HHKB and a ten key pad is all ya need. I do want to build a poker 2 though.

Did the silence mod!

Show Image

Thank You! Yes I made one for you! the ten key is browns w/ red o-rings. The HHKB is stock 45g w 3/16" medium dental bands.

Show Image

Show Image

:] Awesome Dude!!!!!   :p

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #353 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 04:50:16 »
According to PFU's official site, the power offered by USB hubs are 100mA. I would guess the same thing applies regardless if you have the Pro2 or the Pro2 Type-S or if you have the Lite2 variant. PFU has also mentioned some of the limitations with the USB hub onboard the HHKB series (that have USB hubs): http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/notice.html

I would say from my personal point of view is that it is not the keyboard itself that requires lots of power but possibly because of the limitations in the controller allows maximum drawing of 200mA total apart from the keyboard itself. Which again is 100mA max per port and there's only two sockets.
Thanks for the links, it's good to have actual numbers from the manufacturer. I've had difficulty connecting my keyboard to some older MacBooks for example, and as soon as it's connected to a powered hub, they see the keyboard every time.
I had the same problem with my desktop PC - everything was running off a bus-powered extension/hub, and I had to connect a power brick to it for the keyboard to work reliably. (with nothing plugged into the keyboard's ports)
So I would not be surprised if mobile devices have trouble with this keyboard.

With such low power limits on the ports, I've had difficulty finding much that can actually use them. The only thing I have which has worked, has been an SD card reader.
I am not particularly sure with the case on older Macbooks, but given the fact that the modern keyboards are vastly USB based, one should try to avoid having too many USB dangling on some unpowered hub. The standard USB port specification allows a maximum drawing of 0.9A and unpowered hubs generally do not regulate nor would most likely fairly split the amount of power per USB devices connected to that hub. Things like 2.5" external hard drives and high powered wireless USB dongles often have those dual USB heads on one end as to ensure that they would be getting more "priority" over other USB devices when plugged into some unpowered hub.

Whenever I decide to expand the amount of USB ports than my machines can afford to have, I would basically go through the route of getting powered USB hubs. That way there could almost be no chance of some USB starved device is getting the short end of the stick. The option is by no means any cheaper and less cables but to me it prevents the need to worry about power shortages.

On my linux machine my HHKB Pro JP Type-S (note this is the one with JIS layout meaning extra keys but no extra USB ports) lsusb -vv reports the keyboard to only draw a maximum current of only 100mA. I sort of say that would be typical of what normally a keyboard would be:
Code: [Select]
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04fe:000d PFU, Ltd
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x04fe PFU, Ltd
  idProduct          0x000d
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 PFU Limited
  iProduct                2 HHKB Professional JP
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Boot Interface Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      1 Keyboard
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.11
          bCountryCode           15 Japan (Katakana)
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength      65
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval              10
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)
As for the volume up, volume down, eject, mute keys. On linux here I can see that with HHKB under windows mode it sends out the same key codes: 38, 39, 40, 41. These are a, s d, f respectively. Even with Fn key pressed they send out the exact same key codes. I recalled on PFU's official page that those media keys only work on Mac. So I unplugged my HHKB and flipped the first DIP to on (it was previously off, factory default as with every other DIP switches). When I plugged my HHKB back in and ran the same tool again. This time holding down the Fn key produced different key codes: 122, 123, 121, 198. These were again a, s, d, f but with the Fn key held down and with the first DIP switch turned on.
I wish I knew how those translated to Windows keycodes. I tried running AutoHotKey and it reports Fn+F as "F20" which makes sense if you look at an old Apple keyboard which had F1-F16 and then Vol_Dn/Up/Mute/Eject.

Fn+A/S/D are not reporting anything to AHK though. I had hoped it would be F17/18/19.
I tried remapping F17/18/19 via Sharp Keys anyway (0x0068/69/6A) but they don't seem to work.

It's a Pro 2 Type-S that I have, but that shouldn't make a difference.
Yeah I read how a few other people were reporting the media keys on Macs as numbers beyond F12.

Though it is strange how autohotkeys can only see one key out of the four and how sharpkeys I guess doesn't tell you the keycodes for the other three or rather the other three simply won't emit key codes.

I suppose the only best way to check is to make sure that DIP switch 1 is the only switch that is left on and the other four or so DIP switches are set off. If you have already done that then it sort of stumps me, especially if the same DIP settings the media keys work fine on a Mac but not in windows.
This basically tells me two things:
  • Media keys and power key only works when HHKB is in Mac mode.
  • Media keys and power key also requires Fn key to be depressed. Though I am sure most of you would be aware of that already.
I ran the command "xev" under linux to get the key codes. I guess if one were to be in windows they still need to in the very least enable HHKB in Mac mode to be able to make use of the extra keys that were once reserved for Macs. Actually there is a mentioning on the PFU site: http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/hhkb_support/faq_pro.html
Yes, I do run the keyboard in Mac Mode. I forget the specific reason why, I think the right meta key was not functioning as a Windows key?

The problem is that none of the utilities I have tried using to remap the keys detect the Vol_Dn/Up/Mute as a keypress. (Fn+A/S/D)
I've found that the Eject (Fn+F) works, and so does */-+ (Fn+j/m/h/n) so in the meantime, I have j/m for "Next/Prev" and h/n for "Media" (launches the player) and "Stop".
I'd really like to get Fn+A/S/D working though.
More or less I stick by with what I said above. If say Mac or linux can detect those keys fine (especially linux because I know they allow verbosity) then maybe something else within windows is reserving those keycodes or ignoring it for some reason. It certainly tells me that if Mac/linux works fine with the reporting that the keyboard controller is doing its job in telling the computer the key codes but somewhere within the computer, the computer refuses to accept those signals.

The only other way I suppose is to use TMK firmware (and Teensy/TMK board would be required) by Hasu and remap the key code to something else so that hopefully windows and/or Mac should be comfortable with. It'll be a long shot but I guess that might be an option if nothing else is available.

Show Image

Just look at those colourful dental bands on those sliders! it looks remarkably different from the typical monochrome sort of scheme. Too bad one is not able to see it otherwise because it is all on the insides.  :))

I also checked your forum link and I noticed how you use EK Mechlube2. That would be the first time that I have ever seen EK Mechlube ever used on HHKB. Prior to my HHKB purchase I was contemplating on whether or not should I buy EK Mechlube, even if I were, did I need to buy EK Mechlube or EK Mechlube2 or both for my HHKB? The question sort of stumped me for awhile. Now having got my keyboard I am unsure if EK Mechlube is needed at all seeing as how my spacebar is one of those small (puny as others would like to describe it) ones.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 05:02:28 by tuxsavvy »
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #354 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 04:52:49 »

Congrats!!

Show Image

Did the silence mod!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

:] Awesome Dude!!!!!   :p

Cool mod dude. I may plan on doing that too. However is it worth the trouble to mod?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #355 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 07:23:07 »
To the dude that also have a external Numpad beside his HHKB, does the HHKB USB port power the Numpad? That would be a real good use of the HHKB USB port as the Numpad would compliment it!

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #356 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 07:27:15 »
To the dude that also have a external Numpad beside his HHKB, does the HHKB USB port power the Numpad? That would be a real good use of the HHKB USB port as the Numpad would compliment it!
I don't have a numpad but that be nice if it works off the HHKB hub. You would also have cursor control too!!
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 07:35:58 by MJ45 »

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #357 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 08:26:59 »

My G80-3700 was powered by the USB hub. Worked fine when I was using it.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #358 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 11:25:22 »
Just ordered 2 87UW 55gs. Whee
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #359 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 11:55:56 »
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #360 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 14:03:41 »
Quote from: tuxsavvy
Just look at those colourful dental bands on those sliders! it looks remarkably different from the typical monochrome sort of scheme. Too bad one is not able to see it otherwise because it is all on the insides.  :))

I also checked your forum link and I noticed how you use EK Mechlube2. That would be the first time that I have ever seen EK Mechlube ever used on HHKB. Prior to my HHKB purchase I was contemplating on whether or not should I buy EK Mechlube, even if I were, did I need to buy EK Mechlube or EK Mechlube2 or both for my HHKB? The question sort of stumped me for awhile. Now having got my keyboard I am unsure if EK Mechlube is needed at all seeing as how my spacebar is one of those small (puny as others would like to describe it) ones.

Yeah Its too bad no one can see the insides :)  Bro Bots recommended a mixture of Krytox 205 grease and 103GPL Krytox oil for the slider grooves.  But this is before I talked to him, Elite Keyboards recommended the Mechlube2 for Realforce and HHKB Sliders, Stabilizers, etc and Mechlube1 for squeeky spacebars. So I just used the Mechlube 2 on my stabilizers and ill probably pick up Brobots method for my slider grooves. But I have to find where to buy it, just saw http://www.originativeco.com released a new mixed lube. Not sure the difference in this Krytox formula though.

Quote from: terran5992
Cool mod dude. I may plan on doing that too. However is it worth the trouble to mod?

Only if you or anyone you type around are bothered by the upstroke pitch, i think it sounds better without that pitch.

Yes it does power the leopold good, but I like the clean look so I have both cords individually going to my computer case.  :thumb:

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #361 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 14:41:00 »
I have a question for HHKB Pro 2 owners (in particular, those who are touch typists).

I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm a bit reluctant due to the fact that I strongly prefer the smoothness and lightness of MX reds over any of the other Cherries (including browns).

I know that I won't know whether I'll like it or not until I try it myself, but since I can't get my hands on a hhkb without buying one outright, I just have to ask, are there any happy HHKB Pro 2 owners who also happen to like MX reds?

Usually, I'm not that indecisive about purchases, but the HHKB is just so damn expensive to buy without trying it out first...
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 14:43:02 by kfmfe04 »
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #362 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:00:29 »
I have a question for HHKB Pro 2 owners (in particular, those who are touch typists).

I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm a bit reluctant due to the fact that I strongly prefer the smoothness and lightness of MX reds over any of the other Cherries (including browns).

I know that I won't know whether I'll like it or not until I try it myself, but since I can't get my hands on a hhkb without buying one outright, I just have to ask, are there any happy HHKB Pro 2 owners who also happen to like MX reds?

Usually, I'm not that indecisive about purchases, but the HHKB is just so damn expensive to buy without trying it out first...

I do not use reds. However, before switching to the HHKB Pro 2, I used an IBM Model M for years, and more recently I used an IBM SSK. Buckling springs are obviously very different from 45-g Topres. I like both, but for now I am content to stay with the HHKB Pro 2. The point is, you might like the HHKB Pro 2 even if it is very different from anything you have used before. In my own case, I prefer the feel of the IBM keyboards, but the combination of style, form factor, sound and feel of the HHKB Pro 2 combine in a synergistic way to edge out the IBM, at least for now.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #363 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:05:26 »
Ever since i read the thread about topre cup rubber hardening i'm getting worried about my hhkb i'm going to order.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:06:27 »
Ever since i read the thread about topre cup rubber hardening i'm getting worried about my hhkb i'm going to order.

There are stories for both sides of the discussion. CC says that his old Topre keyboards aren't any stiffer than his new ones.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:41:15 »

I tried reds and blacks (and now greens), and found that I prefer blacks (and greens) over reds.

I also have HHKB, and find it somewhere between reds and blacks, probably closer to the reds than the blacks.

But the feel is quite different.

If you do get one and find that you do not like it, you can always sell it here for nearly what you paid for it - once you reach 60 valuable and informative posts ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #366 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:43:32 »

I tried reds and blacks (and now greens), and found that I prefer blacks (and greens) over reds.

I also have HHKB, and find it somewhere between reds and blacks, probably closer to the reds than the blacks.

But the feel is quite different.

If you do get one and find that you do not like it, you can always sell it here for nearly what you paid for it - once you reach 60 valuable and informative posts ;)

Yeah Id say Black or Red is closest sound wise but feel wise brown or red. But the feel and sound is WAY different, in a better way. You just have to experience it. No high pitch only low.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #367 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:54:11 »

Yeah Its too bad no one can see the insides :)  Bro Bots recommended a mixture of Krytox 205 grease and 103GPL Krytox oil for the slider grooves.  But this is before I talked to him, Elite Keyboards recommended the Mechlube2 for Realforce and HHKB Sliders, Stabilizers, etc and Mechlube1 for squeeky spacebars. So I just used the Mechlube 2 on my stabilizers and ill probably pick up Brobots method for my slider grooves. But I have to find where to buy it, just saw http://www.originativeco.com released a new mixed lube. Not sure the difference in this Krytox formula though.

Thanks for that! I guess one learns something new every day.

There were that many lubes going around for various switches and what not that I was getting confused it all, there were plenty of people from what I read were mixing krytox with this or that, then there's people who uses Ro-59 and then others mix both. That is what really confused me before I got my hands on my HHKB. It just seems like there's way too many formulas out there.

Curiously how long is the shelf life of that Mechlube2? I was intending to purchase some Ro-59 but considering the Ro-59 has a shelf life of about 1 1/2 years I am reluctant to purchase and store it until the day I will need to use some. If the Mechlube2 can last longer than that then I may lean towards purchasing Mechlube2 instead.

As for squeaky stabilisers I don't think that will happen at all in my case. I noticed there was a metal rod in your HHKB but you don't have the JP version. I haven't pulled my JP version apart as yet but with my small spacebar I somewhat doubt there will be a metal rod within it. So it'll rule out the need for me to buy Mechlube and just see how good the Mechlube2 is.

There are stories for both sides of the discussion. CC says that his old Topre keyboards aren't any stiffer than his new ones.

I too initially was hesitant after reading about rubber domes stiffening on HHKB and then I went ahead with the purchase. After purchase I read again about rubber domes stiffening and there were moments that I thought ultimately I may regret my purchase. The story of purchasing an expensive keyboard can be daunting.

Though ultimately I have settled on the fact that nothing lasts forever. Regardless if the rubber domes do harden up eventually or not, one thing that is notable is that the end owners themselves have already tasted a Topre board. The feeling is satisfying when typing away on Topre that I personally find hard to let go of.

I sort of rambled away on another thread about professional products are not indicative that they last forever, but rather they are targeted for professionals/enthusiasts of professional products. I recall constantly about my teacher once said to me that "it" was built by humans for humans. "It" could imply virtually anything man made, even in the very case of keyboards we have here. Even though one can go through all the ramifications of implying that keyboards are rather built by robots, the robots were built by humans initially. Just as technology can be as fragile as we are after all things has been debated. It is best to still embrace no matter what it maybe.

Belfong also made a mentioning that "you only live once" which is also very true. Rather than worrying over trivial stuff which can virtually be fixed with lube if and when that time comes, you may as well try whatever you can get your hands on.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #368 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 16:26:28 »

There were that many lubes going around for various switches and what not that I was getting confused it all, there were plenty of people from what I read were mixing krytox with this or that, then there's people who uses Ro-59 and then others mix both. That is what really confused me before I got my hands on my HHKB. It just seems like there's way too many formulas out there.

Curiously how long is the shelf life of that Mechlube2? I was intending to purchase some Ro-59 but considering the Ro-59 has a shelf life of about 1 1/2 years I am reluctant to purchase and store it until the day I will need to use some. If the Mechlube2 can last longer than that then I may lean towards purchasing Mechlube2 instead.

As for squeaky stabilisers I don't think that will happen at all in my case. I noticed there was a metal rod in your HHKB but you don't have the JP version. I haven't pulled my JP version apart as yet but with my small spacebar I somewhat doubt there will be a metal rod within it. So it'll rule out the need for me to buy Mechlube and just see how good the Mechlube2 is.

I too initially was hesitant after reading about rubber domes stiffening on HHKB and then I went ahead with the purchase. After purchase I read again about rubber domes stiffening and there were moments that I thought ultimately I may regret my purchase. The story of purchasing an expensive keyboard can be daunting.

Though ultimately I have settled on the fact that nothing lasts forever. Regardless if the rubber domes do harden up eventually or not, one thing that is notable is that the end owners themselves have already tasted a Topre board. The feeling is satisfying when typing away on Topre that I personally find hard to let go of.

I sort of rambled away on another thread about professional products are not indicative that they last forever, but rather they are targeted for professionals/enthusiasts of professional products. I recall constantly about my teacher once said to me that "it" was built by humans for humans. "It" could imply virtually anything man made, even in the very case of keyboards we have here. Even though one can go through all the ramifications of implying that keyboards are rather built by robots, the robots were built by humans initially. Just as technology can be as fragile as we are after all things has been debated. It is best to still embrace no matter what it maybe.

Belfong also made a mentioning that "you only live once" which is also very true. Rather than worrying over trivial stuff which can virtually be fixed with lube if and when that time comes, you may as well try whatever you can get your hands on.

Im not sure the shelf life and yes I have 3 metal bars inside. Each Shift key and the Spacebar. Now Im curious the shelf life. Yeah you only live once so buy a HHKB :D

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #369 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 16:33:44 »

Im not sure the shelf life and yes I have 3 metal bars inside. Each Shift key and the Spacebar. Now Im curious the shelf life. Yeah you only live once so buy a HHKB :D

I'd say the chances are with Mechlube is that they may last a long time. Considering how they are inside a syringe which is mostly air tight but then again I could be really wrong about the shelf life of the Mechlube2. I actually thought that there would be some information printed somewhere on the Mechlube syringe itself to tell you the various information you need to know about it I suppose.

As for HHKB, lol as the topic says. Buy one and help spread the love around the world.  :))

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #370 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 16:36:18 »

I'd say the chances are with Mechlube is that they may last a long time. Considering how they are inside a syringe which is mostly air tight but then again I could be really wrong about the shelf life of the Mechlube2. I actually thought that there would be some information printed somewhere on the Mechlube syringe itself to tell you the various information you need to know about it I suppose.

As for HHKB, lol as the topic says. Buy one and help spread the love around the world.  :))

Yeah I looked and all it says is copyright  :rolleyes: But the syringe is airtight forsure. I have to push hard to get any out.
Yep the sound and feel is just too amazing for words!

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #371 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 17:17:22 »

Yeah I looked and all it says is copyright  ::) But the syringe is airtight forsure. I have to push hard to get any out.

Bummer, just copyright? in small letters? that's kinda like KFC's "11 secret herbs and spices".  :)) No ingredients, no shelf life information, just "use" it.

Hate to sort of say this but at least Ro-59 is a bit more open about their products, even though yes it is still more or less closely guarded receipe  ??? for their lube but at least they do say about the shelf life of the said product.

Anyway I can say that chances are it is definitely airtight, which should be able to theoretically prolong the shelf life if maybe stored in some cool place when not in use (and obviously the lid is on).  Thanks for checking it up nonetheless!  :thumb:

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #372 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 17:28:29 »

Yeah I looked and all it says is copyright  ::) But the syringe is airtight forsure. I have to push hard to get any out.

Bummer, just copyright? in small letters? that's kinda like KFC's "11 secret herbs and spices".  :)) No ingredients, no shelf life information, just "use" it.

Hate to sort of say this but at least Ro-59 is a bit more open about their products, even though yes it is still more or less closely guarded receipe  ??? for their lube but at least they do say about the shelf life of the said product.

Anyway I can say that chances are it is definitely airtight, which should be able to theoretically prolong the shelf life if maybe stored in some cool place when not in use (and obviously the lid is on).  Thanks for checking it up nonetheless!  :thumb:

You're Welcome! I wonder how long it lasts, guess ill find out :) Yes only small print copyright haha

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #373 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 17:57:12 »

Bingo! Then it is the perfect companion to the HHKB. Couple with a really short cable and it's a match made in heaven :)

Offline Cow

« Reply #374 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 19:39:44 »
How do the dental band mods compare to the type S, I'm tempted to just go for it. Are the keystrokes different on the S like the bands? Does it actually sound like raindrops, I'm coming from blue switches on a CM Storm

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #375 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 19:45:37 »
How do the dental band mods compare to the type S, I'm tempted to just go for it. Are the keystrokes different on the S like the bands? Does it actually sound like raindrops, I'm coming from blue switches on a CM Storm

The S model has slightly different plungers and uses foam discs. The dental band mod reduces travel a slight touch. I think its worth it, my main concern was the type S didnt have a black model. But if you want the exact same key travel the type s is the way to go. I dont think it would be worth the money though. It does sound like rain drops, if I type real slow it is amazing. If I type fast like this it sounds like heavy downpour on a cottage cabin. Blues are way different though because you can actually feel the tactile bump inside. So it would be a way different experience.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #376 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 19:45:43 »

I love Topre switches, and I prefer Topre to any MX switch.  But if I had to choose among MX switches, my favorite would be MX red.  While MX reds do not feel like Topre, IMO, MX reds feel very similar to Topre 30g switches, which can be found on the silent variable (ergonomic) Realforce keyboards.  Anyway, what I can tell you is that if you like MX reds, I think you will love Topre.  They are similar, but Topre is better.

Bingo! Then it is the perfect companion to the HHKB. Couple with a really short cable and it's a match made in heaven :)

Best numpad companion to HHKB Pro 2 is the Realforce 23U (if you can find one).  The HHKB's USB port powers it perfectly, and the 23U comes with a short USB cord natively.  23U's USB connector cord is approx. 2.5 feet long.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #377 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 20:45:54 »
Best numpad companion to HHKB Pro 2 is the Realforce 23U (if you can find one).  The HHKB's USB port powers it perfectly, and the 23U comes with a short USB cord natively.  23U's USB connector cord is approx. 2.5 feet long.

Just tried this and I can confirm that it works. Funny how it can power my 23u just fine but Windows says that it doesn't have enough power to run my 16GB flash drive.

Offline theMANtonio

• Go Hawks
« Reply #378 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 23:46:52 »

Just tried this and I can confirm that it works. Funny how it can power my 23u just fine but Windows says that it doesn't have enough power to run my 16GB flash drive.

Still hoping a new model is released.. Patiently waiting. In the meantime, I'll have to pick up a Cherry switch number pad.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #379 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 23:47:51 »

I love my Leopold w Browns.

Still hoping a new model is released.. Patiently waiting. In the meantime, I'll have to pick up a Cherry switch number pad.

Offline theMANtonio

• Go Hawks
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:41:27 »

I'd consider a Leopold w/ Browns too. Where'd you get yours if you don't mind me asking.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #381 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:46:02 »

I'd consider a Leopold w/ Browns too. Where'd you get yours if you don't mind me asking.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeypads

:thumb:

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #382 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:52:24 »

Pretty expensive for just the number pad

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #383 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:54:01 »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:54:11 »

Pretty expensive for just the number pad

lol my hhkb was $260 so $45 is dirt cheap. You know the Topre number pad is $160 23u

also blues  :thumb:

yea i was tempted! theyre just too loud for my wife :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #385 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 01:18:16 »

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 05:03:13 »

I just ordered the same numpad this weekend! Looking forward to it. Excited to try the numpad on the left side of my 60% boards! Also have an ergodox in the works and plan to keep a numpad between the two boards.  :D

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 07:15:25 »

I just ordered the same numpad this weekend! Looking forward to it. Excited to try the numpad on the left side of my 60% boards! Also have an ergodox in the works and plan to keep a numpad between the two boards.  :D

Awesome, I think you'll enjoy it! All it needs is a removable USB port :p

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 08:07:32 »
Tracking says it's on the FedEx truck for delivery today.. must contain myself.

(man, I really hope I don't hate topre haha)
I hate everything.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #389 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 10:06:21 »

Sweet dude!!! Man I love mine so much you have no idea.. I sold my MX board right away. Now I'm debating getting a poker 2 though just because I'm hooked on boards now haha but yea mine I hope you like it! After the dental band mod it sounds amazing. I need to get some good lube though and lube my sliders :)

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #390 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 12:53:30 »

Plus, I need something to show off my one Clack, Bingecap, and (hopefully) the multitude of Brobot V2's I will be obtaining in the near future.

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #391 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 15:05:07 »

Mine is on the fedex truck too!

EK shipped some pink blanks today :) I was scared that they would sell out! I hope i like topre :D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #392 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 15:58:03 »

Plus, I need something to show off my one Clack, Bingecap, and (hopefully) the multitude of Brobot V2's I will be obtaining in the near future.

Yeah same here haha I love it because I have somewhere to put my MX caps besides a tester ;p my binge and ccs !

Mine is on the fedex truck too!

EK shipped some pink blanks today :) I was scared that they would sell out! I hope i like topre :D

im waiting for my blank oranges from fedex from EK too! They always send in great packaging!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #393 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 04:16:55 »
Instead of the Poker 2, dustin, get the soon-to-be-announced Matias alps 60%

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #394 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 07:55:31 »
I was a click away from buying one a couple months ago and now I think I want to do it..any white blank owners want to share your best pics to convince me?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #395 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 08:25:34 »
I was a click away from buying one a couple months ago and now I think I want to do it..any white blank owners want to share your best pics to convince me?

Just have a browse through this thread

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40658.0

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #396 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 08:40:38 »
I hate my HHKB Type-S.  It's ruined me.  Everytime I get a new keyboard I can't enjoy it because I keep coming back to the HHKB. 

Dear HHKB, I hate your stinking guts, you make me vomit, you're the scum between my toes.-- Love, Akimbro
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #397 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 09:10:24 »
I hate my HHKB Type-S.  It's ruined me.  Everytime I get a new keyboard I can't enjoy it because I keep coming back to the HHKB. 

Dear HHKB, I hate your stinking guts, you make me vomit, you're the scum between my toes.-- Love, Akimbro

But that 55g Thorpe.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #398 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 09:27:33 »

To be honest, that's actually one of my concerns - that I'll no longer like my Filco.

Offline phatdood9

« Reply #399 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 12:56:06 »
This thocking is making me crazy! Got the keyboard tuesday and some new caps on thurs  :p