Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 440751 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 17:39:35 »
So I got my Christmas HHKB today....   :eek:

Nice :)

Welcome to the fold.

Thanks! Here's a bad picture that I posted elsewhere:

Show Image

One of my concerns was the lack of grip that the feet provide - they seem fine to me. Over time, I'm assuming they worsen. This is the same thing that happens to the feet on my Filco. A simple fix that I use is to dampen a Q-tip and wipe the dust off of the bottom of the feet, which restores their grip. I'm assuming the same would work on the HHKB feet, so just a tip in case people didn't know.

The lightness of the HHKB is a huge bonus if carrying the board around, which it is almost asking for, really.

I haven't had any problems with mine sliding around on the desk.  And I actually make micro adjustments to the angle of the keyboard all the time, so a slightly lighter keyboard is a bonus.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #451 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 19:52:09 »
Honestly I do not find feet bad at all. I have no idea why people complain about this. My advice is you turn the space bar around - it's seriously a lot better that way. Other than that, looking good!

BTW - anybody has a blank red esc key for sale? Please guys...come on, surely somebody ordered 1 too many :(
According to deskthority wiki on realforce: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=hh_redescn
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline adhoc

« Reply #452 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 19:53:47 »
Honestly I do not find feet bad at all. I have no idea why people complain about this. My advice is you turn the space bar around - it's seriously a lot better that way. Other than that, looking good!

BTW - anybody has a blank red esc key for sale? Please guys...come on, surely somebody ordered 1 too many :(
According to deskthority wiki on realforce: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=hh_redescn

Out of stock...

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #453 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 20:00:23 »
That's strange I read here that they are in stock. Hmm maybe transparent proxies working their magic. Might even be ideal to give elitekeyboards an email about the availability of the red blank esc key.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline adhoc

« Reply #454 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 20:01:38 »
No, no, it says they're out of stock once you try to check out with paypal.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #455 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 20:07:56 »
I found a fairly recent thread on this but they seem to be selling out pretty fast. There might be a hint that there are still some being made but there's also hints that all these spare keycaps may not get made anymore: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52688.0

Anyway it is best to give those guys (elitekeyboards) a buzz. You might also want to post up a thread in the marketplace under buy/sell classifieds to see if there is anyone willing to let up their blank red esc key.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 December 2013, 20:09:30 by tuxsavvy »

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #456 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 20:08:57 »
iirc ek said that there would be no more topre sets

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #457 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 21:23:42 »

So we might need to look to BroCaps and Gas Mask Keycaps for replacement single Topre keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #458 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 21:26:25 »

So we might need to look to BroCaps and Gas Mask Keycaps for replacement single Topre keycaps.

or make your own?

im really on the edge right now of either getting topre or waiting for cm to release something....when is CES?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #459 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 21:33:17 »

or make your own?

im really on the edge right now of either getting topre or waiting for cm to release something....when is CES?

Why not both?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #460 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 21:37:41 »

or make your own?

Why not both?

budgeting

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #461 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 21:51:10 »

or make your own?

Very soon...

Offline stancato9

« Reply #462 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 00:34:41 »
I still like MX, but they feel like cheap toys in comparison to my HHKB.. :( Love this thing.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #463 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 01:42:17 »
I still like MX, but they feel like cheap toys in comparison to my HHKB.. :( Love this thing.

Heh nice comparison :)

I like my HHKB, but I also like my MX greens and blacks.

And my Model M ;)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #464 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 13:32:52 »
Rowdy have you ever tried 55g cup rubber? You seem to like heavier switches, and topre, but I don't see any 55g topre boards in your sig.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #465 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 15:38:56 »
Rowdy have you ever tried 55g cup rubber? You seem to like heavier switches, and topre, but I don't see any 55g topre boards in your sig.

Nope.  The only Thorpe I have is HHKB.

One day I would like to try 55g uniform RealForce keyboard :)

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #466 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 02:22:56 »
Less than a week ago, I got a hhkb pro 2 and a set of Filco DS SPH delivered from Japan.  For the first two days, I spent almost all my typing on the Filco TKL with the new sphericals - I was simply enamoured with the tank-like build quality.

Then the hhkb started to grow on me - it was always more "fun" to type on, but after a few days, I find myself gravitating towards the topre board more and more.  It's reached a point now that I'm a bit worried - I have a lot of MX keycaps on order incoming and my fingers seem to only want to type on the hhkb.  AAAaaargh!  Even the FN key on the hhkb is not an issue - it only took me a few days to adjust (currently, I use my right thumb on that key, but that may change over time).  FN+ASD works great for controlling volume on OSX machines.  Of course, the CTRL key is perfect there for a UNIX/Linux programmer like me.  My first PC ever was the 1984 original Mac - this hhkb reminds me a lot of that keyboard (of course, the hhkb is smaller, lighter, and more fun to type on, but the size-factor and the layout are very similar).

Hopefully, over time, I'll enjoy typing on both types of switches because I have yet to explore AcidFire's board and the Kinesis Advantage LF, and I need to use up all these nice keycaps incoming.

The agony and ecstasy of having touched a Topre board...
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #467 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 05:19:49 »
Less than a week ago, I got a hhkb pro 2 and a set of Filco DS SPH delivered from Japan.  For the first two days, I spent almost all my typing on the Filco TKL with the new sphericals - I was simply enamoured with the tank-like build quality.

Then the hhkb started to grow on me - it was always more "fun" to type on, but after a few days, I find myself gravitating towards the topre board more and more.  It's reached a point now that I'm a bit worried - I have a lot of MX keycaps on order incoming and my fingers seem to only want to type on the hhkb.  AAAaaargh!  Even the FN key on the hhkb is not an issue - it only took me a few days to adjust (currently, I use my right thumb on that key, but that may change over time).  FN+ASD works great for controlling volume on OSX machines.  Of course, the CTRL key is perfect there for a UNIX/Linux programmer like me.  My first PC ever was the 1984 original Mac - this hhkb reminds me a lot of that keyboard (of course, the hhkb is smaller, lighter, and more fun to type on, but the size-factor and the layout are very similar).

Hopefully, over time, I'll enjoy typing on both types of switches because I have yet to explore AcidFire's board and the Kinesis Advantage LF, and I need to use up all these nice keycaps incoming.

The agony and ecstasy of having touched a Topre board...

My exact sentiments as well. The feeling of typing on Topre (even on just HHKB alone here) is enough to lure me in. I have all these other boards with different sort of feeling but nothing comes close to Topre imo. I also have a Cherry MX board coming in as well which I will do my best to keep force rotating/switching keyboards around even though it annoys me having to do so.

The feeling of Topre to a fair few, once tasted is kind of like fly to a venus flytrap, a moth to a lightbulb, an insect caught on cobweb, etc. You cannot fight against the feeling easily because it (Topre) will just grow on you the moment you have a grudge against a specific switch/keyboard.

In hindsight, I guess you also get what you paid for. I cannot speak for those using cheaper Topre boards but I bet Realforce and PFU/HHKB is definitely up there in terms of an addictive yet exhilarating sense once you have gotten used to the feeling of it (in a good way).

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #468 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 07:42:19 »
If only you have read this thread earlier, it could have saved you a lot of money http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52573

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #469 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 08:05:00 »
If only you have read this thread earlier, it could have saved you a lot of money http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52573

There was nothing to convince me to not buy HHKB, it (HHKB) was on my mind for a very long time. Like as said before I wasn't attracted to HHKB because of the Topre switch but the Topre switch made the whole package extremely interesting once I got my fingers on it. Before I knew much about the Topre switch HHKB had all the bells and whistles of what a portable yet somewhat mechanical keyboard is. Besides the fact that it was developed by a Japanese Internet Pioneer. Besides the fact that it is used by some notable American figures, besides the fact that I really have no use for Caps lock sitting in the (conventional) layout, besides the fact that the brand name is somewhat interesting. The overall package was enough to spark an interest. I have done my homework, but no homework is satisfiable to describe the actual feeling. They say, a picture can describe 1000 words, the same can be applied here.

Little did I know of the fact that there were enthusiasts programming their own keyboards and that there are other vendors which would have been noteworthy (and it was only numbered in days before I purchased my HHKB). However to this date I am convinced that my purchase on HHKB was worth virtually every dime. Apart from the fact that I am being "sucked" into HHKB's vortex but meh so be it. I'll probably find ways to dig my way out eventually.

If there was anything, I read the thread about Topre rubber "cups" stiffening, though at that time I still know very little about Topre switch in general. Never felt one, never had the chance to but I thought who cares at the time of purchase. You only live once, so why bother being picky?  :)) One can hate all they like on certain foods they can't tolerate eating for reasons apart from being allergic to it, sure hate as much as you like, but you end up never tasting what the food would have tasted like.

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #470 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:43:29 »
Topre is the awesome.

How do I remove my HHKB spacebar without breaking something? I'm trying to do this but it feels like I'm breaking something.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #471 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:46:35 »
Topre is the awesome.

How do I remove my HHKB spacebar without breaking something? I'm trying to do this but it feels like I'm breaking something.

Very carefully, it is recommended to support both ends at the same time when removing. I'll get two wire pullers, put one under each end and pull up while gently rocking, but this is all done smoothly and easily with no jerking.

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #472 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:50:22 »
Very carefully, it is recommended to support both ends at the same time when removing. I'll get two wire pullers, put one under each end and pull up while gently rocking, but this is all done smoothly and easily with no jerking.

It should just release? And is there a stabilizer wire underneath or something?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #473 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:55:45 »

It should just release? And is there a stabilizer wire underneath or something?

51715-0

^^ It looks like this, what you have to be careful is to not break those stabilizer inserts.

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #474 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 16:40:48 »
Thanks so much, this is a huge help.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #475 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 17:45:40 »
I have seen photos of the keyboard with a wire stabilizer. I'm not sure which is which. If it's what was shown above, then it is pretty easy to remove.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #476 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 17:55:44 »
I have seen photos of the keyboard with a wire stabilizer. I'm not sure which is which. If it's what was shown above, then it is pretty easy to remove.

The wire is actually on the underside of the case. I pull of both alt/meta keys and then gently rock the spacebar upwards on either side with my two index fingers. Also be careful not to lose the spring, as the spacebar pops off with some force.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #477 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 18:34:38 »
Ok, so the photo above is without the wires? It gives the impression that it is a 'cherry switch' like .. so yeah, have to be careful!

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #478 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 18:56:30 »

The wire is actually on the underside of the case. I pull of both alt/meta keys and then gently rock the spacebar upwards on either side with my two index fingers. Also be careful not to lose the spring, as the spacebar pops off with some force.

It is similar to a Costar stabilizer, except the wire runs underneath the case that you see in that picture. It connects to the two stabilizer tabs on either side.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #479 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 19:01:25 »
Ok, so the photo above is without the wires? It gives the impression that it is a 'cherry switch' like .. so yeah, have to be careful!
The stabilizer wires can be seen in most of the threads that feature HHKB silencing mods where the case is opened up that show the inner works. 

Offline kskwerl

« Reply #480 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 19:34:40 »
i wanted to chime in that I love my HHKB Pro 2 I can't type on it for **** and always mix up the shift with control, coming from MX Blues I jam on the keys like a monkey.

hopefully I will learn to use this because I do love it lawl
HHKB Pro 2 - Leopold 210TP -

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #481 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 19:54:36 »
Oh, that's pretty smart then. Meaning as a noob changing key caps, the space bar is pretty easy because of the tab. No wires to accidentally pulled off.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #482 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 22:25:37 »
From this thread:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #483 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 22:26:38 »
i wanted to chime in that I love my HHKB Pro 2 I can't type on it for **** and always mix up the shift with control, coming from MX Blues I jam on the keys like a monkey.

practice makes perfect.

using a hhkb makes you better than everybody else.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline kskwerl

« Reply #484 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 00:19:01 »

practice makes perfect.

using a hhkb makes you better than everybody else.

Well yea of course that's why I bought it I didn't wanna be another pleb with some non HHKB  :p
HHKB Pro 2 - Leopold 210TP -

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #485 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 02:22:47 »
Amazing how many Topre caps I have for my HHKB2 now :D Thanks Bro, Martin, etc for making Topre versions!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 02:55:47 »
Amazing how many Topre caps I have for my HHKB2 now :D Thanks Bro, Martin, etc for making Topre versions!

QFT :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #487 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 22:04:59 »
HHKB <3

Offline Jrwestcoast

« Reply #488 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 22:31:58 »
Finally got my type s and a place for my gold bro cap.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #489 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 22:43:41 »
Finally got my type s and a place for my gold bro cap.
Show Image

So simple. So clean. I like it :)

Offline Jrwestcoast

« Reply #490 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 22:48:15 »
Thanks, it replaced my pro
and I am really liking how quit the type s compared to the pro. 

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #491 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 02:44:42 »
HHKB <3

Show Image

Beer Enthusiast! hehe mmm that is nice!  :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2014, 10:56:15 by dustinhxc »

Offline wrwhoami

« Reply #492 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 07:44:14 »
hhkb is good! :p

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #493 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 05:25:59 »
I'm about to pull the trigger on an HHKB Pro 2.  I've read so many good comments about it, and everyone keeps posting beautiful pics that makes it difficult to resist. 

As a test, I've been attempting to use my recently acquired Poker II for work, and it's been going pretty well.  One thing I realized is that the Fn layer and omission of arrow/page/home/end keys is not just for saving desktop space, but also lets you keep your hands near the home row.  I sit in front of a PC all day for work, and then spend more hours in front of the PC at home, and I think it's the reaching over for those extra keys and my mouse is what makes my arm and wrist hurt the most.  So far using Fn for that usage feels a little more comfortable.  Is that the same experience you guys had?

One concern I have is that for coding, I do a lot of Ctrl+Shift+Home/End/Page type combos for selecting lines or regions of text, and with the Fn layer, I'm still really slow at it and have to stop and think about all the keys I need to press.  Hopefully this will eventually become second nature with more usage.

But anyways, I've already made up my mind to get this board, and now I just need to make a decision about whether to order it from EK or from Japan via Tenso.  With my estimates, going through Tenso would be about $50 cheaper, but EK provides their own 2 year warranty service (I'm in the US).  And with this being such an expensive board, I'm thinking I'll probably get it through EK.  Plus it would get to me a lot quicker, haha.  :p

Key set customization for Topre looks pretty limited.  My plan is to get the HHKB Pro 2 black with blanks, and sometime I'll order the blue+red esc+control set plus two blank white keysets via Tenso.  I'll use one of those white keysets as-is, and the other I'll try to Rit dye as done by o2dazone.  We'll see how that goes. :)  Oh, and also attempt to get some Topre BroBots of course.

Well, that was a wall of text, but I'm excited to be ordering this soon.  :D

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 05:27:38 by naasfu »
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #494 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 06:29:13 »
You will not regret it. Just be prepared to sell your MX boards. Lol.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #495 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:06:10 »
  whether to order it from EK or from Japan via Tenso.  With my estimates, going through Tenso would be about $50 cheaper, but EK provides their own 2 year warranty service

hmm where do you shop?

amazon.jp is selling it at 29800 yen and ek at 260 usd with an exchange rate of 102 i don't see getting it from amazon.jp would be cheaper unless there is another jp website selling it for much cheaper consider you have to go through a proxy for extra fees and shipping

also do you guys really type ALL day? i spend a lot of time reading docs or articles or doing research. and having dedicated  page up/dn key and arrow keys is so convenient so you can use the other hand to sip on coffee or use a pen.
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #496 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:15:48 »
Just got my HHKB Pro 2 today. I have tried different boards with all the basic MX switches and the only thing I can say is that I wish I got a HHKB earlier. This feels amazing... I don't want to stop typing.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #497 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 19:00:18 »
You will not regret it. Just be prepared to sell your MX boards. Lol.
Haha, we'll see.  I'll still want something to use for all those cool keyset group buys.

amazon.jp is selling it at 29800 yen and ek at 260 usd with an exchange rate of 102 i don't see getting it from amazon.jp would be cheaper unless there is another jp website selling it for much cheaper consider you have to go through a proxy for extra fees and shipping
Yes, Amazon JP.  29800 yen is for the Type-S, and around 21725 yen for the regular HHKB Pro 2 (for example, search for PD-KB400BN).  Plus Amazon has the keysets for much cheaper than EK, and they carry the red+blue extra keys pack that EK doesn't carry.  Note that I have to pay sales tax for EK, so getting this from Amazon JP would be an even better deal if you don't get hit with sales tax.  Oh and the exchange rate for JP yen to USD is great now!  It used be terrible like 80 yen for a dollar.

also do you guys really type ALL day? i spend a lot of time reading docs or articles or doing research. and having dedicated  page up/dn key and arrow keys is so convenient so you can use the other hand to sip on coffee or use a pen.
That's a good point, but at least you can still do those with one hand with the HHKB layout.  The Poker II has arrows on the left side which is not as optimal.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 20:22:12 by naasfu »
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #498 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 19:28:07 »
You can still scroll with one hand on the mouse wheel or gesture swipe on the Mac, can't you? That way sipping coffee with the other hand is no issue.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #499 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 20:20:57 »

You can still scroll with one hand on the mouse wheel or gesture swipe on the Mac, can't you? That way sipping coffee with the other hand is no issue.
Mouse wheel scroll is slower than page keys, unless you have the scroll increment jacked up.  And for me, my arm ends up hurting if I mouse scroll too much.  Maybe I should look into trackballs or something.