Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 439436 times)

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #1450 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:06:39 »
Is there a HHKB Pro 2 Hate, thread?

We should start one.

Well, I mean, I guess that is one way to sort out the heathens and prep them for being burned at the stake for their heresy.

Truth. I haven't been able to use any other KB for more than a week since I got my HHKB. It's just the perfect keyboard honestly. I'd like them to release a 55g version so I don't have to go through dome swapping like I will be soon.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1451 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:19:10 »
@LSB dat hipro hhkb looks amazing! (can't forgive the flipped spacebar, however.)
did the high profile ABS caps change the sound a lot?

My space bars are flipped due to the height of my desk  :rolleyes:

When I get the $$ for a wrist rest from inanis then they can go back to being classy
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1452 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:20:20 »
Decided to give hhkb a second chance. I really like its layout, form factor and overall aesthetics. I have just ordered a new one after being extremely disappointed with the type s. I found it to feel twice as scratchy as mx browns. I was so angry with my purchase that I took the sliders out and threw them in the trash along with the keycaps.

Could not believe that such a hyped up and expensive product is produced so poorly. I'm really only referring to the finish of the outer surface on the topre stems and possibly rails/guides on the slider and the slider housing.

I say this because the feeling of smoothness and preciseness was completely absent from the hhkb. When compared with my Novatouch which is usually considered a low quality topre board.

I am very glad that the hhkb was not my first topre experience. What a complete fiasco that would have been.

This time around I will be lubricating sliders, rails and stabilizers of course. After that if the topre experience is still nowhere near what it should be like on my silenced novatouch I will accept it for what it is and try to view its huge imperfections as endearing qualities. But that's not going to happen.

What kind of drugs are you on, and where can i get them?

No need to be rude.  A lot of people prefer plate mounted Topres to the plastic wobbly HHKBs.

Also, you do realize this is the "HHKB Pro 2 LOVE" thread, right?

Good point!  But the drugs reference wasn't necessary.

Drug and alcohol references are always necessary  :cool:  :))
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1453 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:37:17 »

We should start one.

Well, I mean, I guess that is one way to sort out the heathens and prep them for being burned at the stake for their heresy.

Truth. I haven't been able to use any other KB for more than a week since I got my HHKB. It's just the perfect keyboard honestly. I'd like them to release a 55g version so I don't have to go through dome swapping like I will be soon.
No need to remake hhkb everyone, its perfect as it is with 45g

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1454 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:39:58 »

We should start one.

I haven't tried 55g, but I disagree... I don't understand why you wouldn't want more choices?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1455 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:40:54 »

We should start one.

I haven't tried 55g, but I disagree... I don't understand why you wouldn't want more choices?
Cause you know 55g in hhkb feels like ****!

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #1456 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 18:43:25 »

We should start one.

Cause you know 55g in hhkb feels like ****!

I hope not! If that's the consensus though I'll just invest in a RF 87U

Offline ajx

« Reply #1457 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 04:32:46 »
I am selling my perfect HHKB, pure dark grey blank, lubbed stabs, spacebar little modded (i sightly reduce noise from stock one), PBT spacebar, EK roof cover, Hasu's controller and the most important, it has been silenced with ironed landing pads (it took me hours/days to make the mod)

https://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/the-best-hhkb-you-could-buy-t12879.html

I highly regret to sell it but i need bigger keyboard (TKL)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1458 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 04:34:52 »
I am selling my perfect HHKB, pure dark grey blank, lubbed stabs, spacebar little modded (i sightly reduce noise from stock one), PBT spacebar, EK roof cover, Hasu's controller and the most important, it has been silenced with ironed landing pads (it took me hours/days to make the mod)

https://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/the-best-hhkb-you-could-buy-t12879.html

I highly regret to sell it but i need bigger keyboard (TKL)
This is not classified goddamnit!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #1459 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 05:34:56 »
So if I find the 45g hhkb light.. is it worth modding to 55g?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1460 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 05:35:51 »
No and no if its too light get a realforce 55g and bam happiness!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #1461 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 05:38:10 »
I was going to get myself a 55g realforce for at home anyway, to try out the 55g feel. 
But my hhkb goes with me to work.. So that is why I was wondering if it's worth it :P

Offline raymogi

« Reply #1462 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 05:38:41 »

Yes. Best decision I've ever made to date. It's a perfect keyboard for home and traveling.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1463 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 05:50:45 »
I was going to get myself a 55g realforce for at home anyway, to try out the 55g feel. 
But my hhkb goes with me to work.. So that is why I was wondering if it's worth it
Nooooo let them hhkb be virgin!
Nah its your choice but I have to say that 55g hhkb feels mushy and not good!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #1464 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 06:03:02 »
But my hhkb goes with me to work.. So that is why I was wondering if it's worth it

If I mod the hhkb to 55g and not like it. It is reversible right? 
Or will there always be a difference in the feeling of both boards after modding?

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1465 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 06:05:20 »

Or will there always be a difference in the feeling of both boards after modding?
Yea its reversible. There will be some spring sound if you missallign the conic springs. So just let them be!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1466 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 09:43:15 »

Yea its reversible. There will be some spring sound if you missallign the conic springs. So just let them be!

If you wanna mod, why not buy the 87UB 55g? I think the 55g's on the HHKB will still be mushy due to case mounting (87UB is plate mounted).
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1467 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 11:30:08 »
If someone can find me some silent purple sliders, I will (99% likely) rejoin this silly cult.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1468 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 11:46:21 »
If someone can find me some silent purple sliders, I will (99% likely) rejoin this silly cult.

How many would you potentially need?

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1469 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 11:47:51 »

enough for a HHKB, so 60. willing to buy more though.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1470 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 11:50:48 »

Damn I may only have a few after I mod the type S.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #1471 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 15:21:15 »
other than lubing, has anyone tried anything to reduce the sound of the stabilized keys, particularly the spacebar?

after lubing the stabilized keys on my type-s, there's still a bunch of sound generated.
for the spacebar, i'm thinking that maybe the tabs are producing a plastic-on-plastic sound. i thought about applying some lube, but i fear i'll make a mess..
removing the tabs is an option, but with the risk of breaking them, i don't think i'll be doing that. i'm not even sure it would make a difference, anyway..

so.. what other measures (besides lubing the stabilizers themselves) have you guys tried to reduce the sound?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Altis

« Reply #1472 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:00:04 »
other than lubing, has anyone tried anything to reduce the sound of the stabilized keys, particularly the spacebar?

after lubing the stabilized keys on my type-s, there's still a bunch of sound generated.
for the spacebar, i'm thinking that maybe the tabs are producing a plastic-on-plastic sound. i thought about applying some lube, but i fear i'll make a mess..
removing the tabs is an option, but with the risk of breaking them, i don't think i'll be doing that. i'm not even sure it would make a difference, anyway..

so.. what other measures (besides lubing the stabilizers themselves) have you guys tried to reduce the sound?

Have you sound deadened the case? Doesn't help that much with upstroke clack, though.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #1473 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:08:41 »
Is there a big difference from the stock 45g to 55g? I always see people post about it but obviously I have never tried it.

Offline Ovrclck

• Romans 8:38-39
« Reply #1474 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:13:40 »
Just purchased my third HHKB today. Type-S variant. Seems like it needs a bit more breaking in compared to my regular HHKB. I can definitely notice the difference in travel. Other than that. I love it!
HHKB Pro 2 | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | IBM Model M | 2x Dell AT101W

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1475 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:16:55 »

Is there a big difference from the stock 45g to 55g? I always see people post about it but obviously I have never tried it.
Just a heavier and a little more tactile or snappier differences.

You can never leave hhkb good sir! Just get the type s off classified

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #1476 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:19:28 »
Just purchased my third HHKB today. Type-S variant. Seems like it needs a bit more breaking in compared to my regular HHKB. I can definitely notice the difference in travel. Other than that. I love it!
Show Image

I don't think there should be a difference in travel? Are you sure about this? If I recall correctly, the stems are a bit longer to compensate for the silencing method.

Interesting.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline ajx

« Reply #1477 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:25:50 »

checky my latest post on Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)

I believe the cracky sound coming from the steel stabilizer/wire that actually hits on plastic stabs or stabs have some loose either
Remove spacebar and touch stabs and see if it feels loose or not
There is nothing you can do, the best its lube, add some piece of foam under spacebar, on those ''shock absorbers'''

They need to be very slim
check here
https://deskthority.net/help-f53/silencing-rings-for-topre-rf-or-hhkb-t10051-390.html

I have little modded mine: you can put some 3M tape adhesive, foam, piece of your belt, felt cloth, whatever that is thin enough and can soften it, under PCB

https://imgur.com/a/OBpxQ

Here are some pictures

Credit to Valff which has succeded to silent entirely his spacebar (i failed on mine but it sightly quieter than before)

For the lube, use Kritox 502/503, not sure about the full ref

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1478 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:27:27 »
Show Image

I don't think there should be a difference in travel? Are you sure about this? If I recall correctly, the stems are a bit longer to compensate for the silencing method.

Interesting.
Nah they use a regular stem on type s
And the silenring cings are 0.2mm so the travel distance is 3.8 instead of 4.0

Offline Ovrclck

« Reply #1479 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:29:59 »
Show Image

Interesting.
I think it's just my imagination after all.

Show Image

Interesting.
Oh ok. I guess the lack of "clack" on the upstroke is what's throwing me off.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1480 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 17:35:06 »
Show Image

Interesting.

Show Image

Interesting.
Yeah I think they makes the upstroke a bit softer so that's why its so good

Offline Ovrclck

« Reply #1481 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:00:28 »
Show Image

Interesting.

Show Image

Interesting.
Yeah I think they makes the upstroke a bit softer so that's why its so good

I guess in a week or so I'll reach oneness with cup rubber.  :)

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1482 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 18:21:01 »
You can never leave hhkb good sir! Just get the type s off classified

once you go black...

Damn I may only have a few after I mod the type S.

good luck with your mod! I might just have to pony up for a silenced board from japan.

Offline Madeupword

« Reply #1483 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 00:46:40 »
Was about to get a Type S as my second HHKB, until the scratchy comment.

Would this mean the regular HHKB gives a better feel while the Type S sounds better?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1484 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 00:48:23 »
I've used a Type S before, never noticed scratchiness.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #1485 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:02:08 »

Would this mean the regular HHKB gives a better feel while the Type S sounds better?

Mine is fine as well. Type S as your 2nd HHKB is worth it, especially for work.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #1486 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:40:27 »
I've been pondering over which color hhkb to get for the past few days. Do I get black, do I get type s.. someone make the decision I can't.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1487 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:43:58 »
I've been pondering over which color hhkb to get for the past few days. Do I get black, do I get type s.. someone make the decision I can't.

Get Grey from EK or get Type-S proxied from Japan.  Type-S feels a little tighter, IMO, normal is a little cheaper.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #1488 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:45:22 »

Get Grey from EK or get Type-S proxied from Japan.  Type-S feels a little tighter, IMO, normal is a little cheaper.

why not type-s from EK?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1489 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:49:24 »

why not type-s from EK?

Way more expensive.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #1490 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 01:52:03 »

why not type-s from EK?

Way more expensive.

makes since.. I will try and proxy from JP, but I have a feeling I will settle on the way more expensive.  Thank you for the assist. ^_^

Offline jerue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1491 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:36:05 »

make a black type-s m8

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1492 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:37:10 »

make a black type-s m8

Sounds like a winner to me.  :thumb:

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1493 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 09:43:51 »

Now thats a good idea! More hhkb is better
Black grey type s done!

why not type-s from EK?

Way more expensive.

makes since.. I will try and proxy from JP, but I have a feeling I will settle on the way more expensive.  Thank you for the assist. ^_^

Naww dood just go pm apolotary for proxying stuff or evo_spec

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1494 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:10:55 »
Black grey type s done!
I would buy a black Type-S in a heart beat.

Offline Ovrclck

« Reply #1495 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:14:20 »
Anyone know where I can find a replacement shift key? I dropped a heavy pen and nicked the corner. Doh!! and I just got this yesterday lol

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1496 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:45:52 »
Anyone know where I can find a replacement shift key? I dropped a heavy pen and nicked the corner. Doh!! and I just got this yesterday lol

Show Image

I must say it looks pretty minor, but I can see your frustration. Ouch!

I'm not sure about separate key caps, but you can buy a whole replacement set from elite keyboards if you want the original PBT caps. If you are not bothered by that, you can buy replacement ABS shift keys in colors from them.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #1497 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:48:17 »

damn. Is it that pen in the background? Must've been pretty heavy to do that or you dropped it from on high.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Ovrclck

« Reply #1498 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:51:20 »

Show Image

I'm not sure about separate key caps, but you can buy a whole replacement set from elite keyboards if you want the original PBT caps. If you are not bothered by that, you can buy replacement ABS shift keys in colors from them.

I'm super OCD when it comes to expensive equipment.

EK is about 10 minutes from my house. Maybe it will be cheaper if I bought a set via proxy? $80 is hard to swallow but then again I did just buy 3 HHKB's from EK. Sigh

damn. Is it that pen in the background? Must've been pretty heavy to do that or you dropped it from on high.

Yes! Basterd pen!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1499 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:54:05 »

Show Image

I'm super OCD when it comes to expensive equipment.

EK is about 10 minutes from my house. Maybe it will be cheaper if I bought a set via proxy? $80 is hard to swallow but then again I did just buy 3 HHKB's from EK. Sigh

Yes! Basterd pen!

You bought three? Wow nice.. Which ones and why??

I can see the OCD.. When I see dust or crumbs near or on my kb I go full retard. My GF eats ABOVE her black HHKB. Seeing that just hurts inside..