Author Topic: Macbook - What is it worth?  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
Macbook - What is it worth?
« on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 21:26:49 »
Recently I went ahead and bought a 13.3" White Macbook and I upgraded it with 4GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD from it's original horrific 1GB / 80GB 5400rpm drive and what not.

What I'm asking is, how much would this machine be worth now? I paid 280 (pounds) for it (including shipping).

Would I be able to get maybe 350-450+ on it now? as I've recently acquired a fair amount of money from a coding job I've completed and I want to sell it and get a good second hand Macbook Pro 2011/2012 model or a brand new Macbook Pro/Macbook air.

So what you thinking?
你搞砸了

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Macbook - What is it worth?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 21:40:50 »
Recently I went ahead and bought a 13.3" White Macbook and I upgraded it with 4GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD from it's original horrific 1GB / 80GB 5400rpm drive and what not.

What I'm asking is, how much would this machine be worth now? I paid 280 (pounds) for it (including shipping).

Would I be able to get maybe 350-450+ on it now? as I've recently acquired a fair amount of money from a coding job I've completed and I want to sell it and get a good second hand Macbook Pro 2011/2012 model or a brand new Macbook Pro/Macbook air.

So what you thinking?

mm.. the white macbook has quite a following.. You might even want to hang on to it..

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 21:45:02 »

So what you thinking?

mm.. the white macbook has quite a following.. You might even want to hang on to it..
Show Image

I could do that, but I'd like to be able to install Mavericks and just have a better overall system, >.<
你搞砸了

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 21:47:20 »
Find hipster
Make profit
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 21:50:01 »
Find hipster
Make profit

LOL, that's always one way to go about things. XD
你搞砸了

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 21:53:15 »

So what you thinking?

Show Image

I could do that, but I'd like to be able to install Mavericks and just have a better overall system, >.<

yea, it's a bit slow for modern stuff.. but the newer macbooks imho arn't the power-houses they're supposed to be..

I had an ivy macbook for a bit, lent from a friend.. and the thing was good for everything UNTIL you try to do anything intensive (Light gaming).. it immediately shoots to 90C+  even with 100% fan tweak it was around 88C...  And on a warm day... it will hit 95C and start throttling..

I know they say that it's in the design.. but good longevity of those machines @ 90C is dubious.. and they're $1000-2000

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 22:23:28 »
I started on Windows, switched to Linux for about 6 years and then switched to Mac.  I have a Mac because work pays for it and I do prefer it if given the choice.  They are extremely overpriced, so if you are paying for it consider looking at the official refurbished Macs in the bottom left on the mac store online.  You can save about $300 usually, which starts to bring the price back into the realm of reason.

If I was not using a Mac, I would be using Linux, so I am probably not the best person to ask.  Windows makes me mental...

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 23:15:38 »
I started on Windows, switched to Linux for about 6 years and then switched to Mac.  I have a Mac because work pays for it and I do prefer it if given the choice.  They are extremely overpriced, so if you are paying for it consider looking at the official refurbished Macs in the bottom left on the mac store online.  You can save about $300 usually, which starts to bring the price back into the realm of reason.

If I was not using a Mac, I would be using Linux, so I am probably not the best person to ask.  Windows makes me mental...

With me, if I can use a Mac over a PC, I will. I only use my PC for gaming now, I barely use it for browsing apart from watching netflix, movies, music and my TV shows. I don't really browse on it, I don't code on it, I prefer to do everything else on the Mac, but the specs are vastly different and when you are coming/going from one to another, you can certainly feel the difference.

I'm just curious if selling this for a profit and buying a newer, more powerful and more up to date machine will be worth it in the long run. I guess I just don't like the ideal of being behind the curve in terms of software, as I'm only eligible to go up to Lion on this machine and I can't get ML or Mavericks. But saying that though, my PC is still on Windows 7 and that's treated me just fine thus far.
你搞砸了

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 23:43:04 »

With me, if I can use a Mac over a PC, I will. I only use my PC for gaming now, I barely use it for browsing apart from watching netflix, movies, music and my TV shows. I don't really browse on it, I don't code on it, I prefer to do everything else on the Mac, but the specs are vastly different and when you are coming/going from one to another, you can certainly feel the difference.

I'm just curious if selling this for a profit and buying a newer, more powerful and more up to date machine will be worth it in the long run. I guess I just don't like the ideal of being behind the curve in terms of software, as I'm only eligible to go up to Lion on this machine and I can't get ML or Mavericks. But saying that though, my PC is still on Windows 7 and that's treated me just fine thus far.

It sounds like you didn't need this mac book AT ALL,  impulse buy?

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 23:48:32 »
Find hipster
Make profit

Sorry hipster here,

we only want the limited edition black one that we paid an extra $200 for.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline iri

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 04:01:53 »
I'm just curious if selling this for a profit and buying a newer, more powerful and more up to date machine will be worth it in the long run.
selling an overpriced machine (mac) and buying a reasonably priced, more powerful machine (pc) is a smart move.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 04:27:32 »
I'm just curious if selling this for a profit and buying a newer, more powerful and more up to date machine will be worth it in the long run.
selling an overpriced machine (mac) and buying a reasonably priced, more powerful machine (pc) is a smart move.

this isn't the end of it..

I didn't know this until quite recently.. but women will judge a man by his laptop... Yea.... Basically, almost all women are N000bs.... 

So fragility, if being in public places w/ ur computer is at all part of your game plan, you're gonna need a macbook..

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 04:42:54 »

I didn't know this until quite recently.. but women will judge a man by his laptop... Yea.... Basically, almost all women are N000bs.... 

So fragility, if being in public places w/ ur computer is at all part of your game plan, you're gonna need a macbook..
This sounds like a promising story. Care to share? :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 04:49:41 »

They just like a guy with style.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 14:14:14 »

They just like a guy with style.

Or hipsters apparently. :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 14:31:27 »
I don't know, man. Buy cheap Macbook, put cheap RAM in, sell overpriced? Sounds like extortion to me.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 14:48:28 »
I don't know, man. Buy cheap Macbook, put cheap RAM in, sell overpriced? Sounds like extortion to me.

Can't upgrade ram in new MacBooks now. This is the main reason I am considering switching if I have to buy my own again.

Also, Mac has a tendency to automagically depreciate their hardware after about 5 years.  I would not recommend buying a Mac second hand because you will usually get less value than new for the price.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 14:54:11 »

Can't upgrade ram in new MacBooks now. This is the main reason I am considering switching if I have to buy my own again.

Also, Mac has a tendency to automagically depreciate their hardware after about 5 years.  I would not recommend buying a Mac second hand because you will usually get less value than new for the price.

not unless they discontinue a certain color.... w000000... honestly the white macbook if fragility can keep it in good condition and relatively seman free... it could be worth 1000s in 20 years..

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 14:59:47 »
relatively seman free...

It's white. What difference does it make?

Also, semen. You'd think with as much as you're pumping onto your ErgoDox throughout the day, you'd be able to spell it right.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 15:00:52 »

This sounds like a promising story. Care to share? :D

I was told the concept by a sorority girl that was in my counting class..

Then I proceeded to poll random women on the university bus..  9 out of 10 agree..

it seems like a logical extension... that there would be different classes of gold-diggering among women...

There's the  ferrari, maserati women on the high end,   and on the lower end,  we have the macbook girls.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:06:30 »
Find hipster
Make profit

LOL, that's always one way to go about things. XD

Tell him/her you sprinkled some magical " aspiring writer" dust all over the keyboard, and money will shortly follow. The next step includes never going to starbucks again.
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:07:40 »
Find hipster
Make profit

yay earl sweatshirt
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 17:49:46 »
i mean I don't even take it out of the house, it's going to be primarily a coding/design machine for the home instead of using Windows, that is all :(
你搞砸了

Offline iri

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 02:01:23 »
it's a starbucks table decorating machine.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury