Author Topic: MX Browns feel different on different boards?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline WiL11o6

MX Browns feel different on different boards?
« on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 21:00:48 »
My first mechanical keyboard was a Filco MX browns based on popular review as the first switch to get as it's a good starter switch. I did not like it and now I own a blue and red switch keyboard. My buddy asked me to recommend him a good mechanical and I told him browns are the most popular, even though I told him I did not like it, so he went ahead and got the CM Storm Quickfire MX browns. I went over to his house and started typing on it. It felt different and better than the Filco MX browns, which was also 2x the price of the CM Storm.

I am actually even thinking about picking up that MX brown when it goes on sale. What gives? I hated the browns when I had it on the Filco. If my memory serves me right, the Filco's browns felt "loose" and the bump felt "gritty and grainy", whereas the CM Storm's keys felt stiffer and  the bump was smoother.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: MX Browns feel different on different boards?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 21:02:17 »
Sometimes even different batches of the same board feel different.

Offline Tony

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 21:07:12 »
Typing feel = switch + board+ keycap, so every keyboard brings unique feel.

I prefer my Filco brown because of the velvety smoothness you mentioned. If you prefer stronger feel, try CMstorm.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 21:16:39 »
Yeah - I did not like the Filco w/ MX Blacks - but on the CM Storm they feel much better.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 21:30:51 »
It's like that not just with the browns but the blues and reds as well. I really like the Tex keyboard with the blues but they do feel and sound slightly different on my Filco. That's why i have tried so many keyboards. They all have a unique sound and feel.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 21:31:05 »
Could be batches of switches too.

I have two Ducky Shine (version 1) with MX blues, and they feel different.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 21:39:14 »
ggrrrr... it has to do with wear level...

well used boards feel smoother and "better"... even sound a little different

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 22:12:07 »
No, not all the time. It's mostly due to batch. I tried a brand new G710+ with browns and the bump was almost non existent, jump back to my Ducky, the bump is more pronounced.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 22:33:40 »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 23:43:35 »
The QFR must have vintage Browns in it. Definitely.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 23:50:36 »
How do vintage browns feel?
I want a QFR if it's more tactile.
Question is how much more tactile.
300TH POST!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 00:09:59 »

I didn't think QFR was sufficiently old to have vintage switches, unless someone modded it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 02:51:30 »
No, not all the time. It's mostly due to batch. I tried a brand new G710+ with browns and the bump was almost non existent, jump back to my Ducky, the bump is more pronounced.

Doesn't the g710+ have o-rings?

I didn't think QFR was sufficiently old to have vintage switches, unless someone modded it.

You never heard of NOS (new old stock) :P
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 November 2013, 02:53:45 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 02:53:59 »
because g710 has o-rings?
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Surnia

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 07:22:16 »
A few factors that have already been mentioned here as the reason why they feel different, but a big one will mostly be age. Its apparent on any board that has a distinct age gap between them (ie. my Filco vs Noppoo, there was a year between them and the switches felt very different). Initially the Filco felt great and way better than the Noppoo did because it was way more worn in than the Noppoo was. However, since the Noppoo is a work board, it sees far more typing than my Filco and right now it does distinctly feel smoother than the Filco. There's also keys on the Filco that don't see much use (arrows and some of the F keys) that feel almost new (gritty, non smooth).

I JUST picked up an MX brown poker II, and I have a year+ old DAS silent in the house. The Das silent feels exactly as a brown should, well defined bump, light travel. The poker II on delivery felt VERY gritty, and nearly linear. After at least 4000+ characters on the board, it feels much better already, and the travel is much smoother.

I'd say expect a break in period of about 2 weeks for light usage, maybe less if its in a heavier use environment. Personally I believe that you can't evaluate an MX board in anything less than that, purely due to that break in period. In any case, All MX switches need a break in. Break them in before lubing, then do it after. It'll be a much smoother/better experience afterwards.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 07:34:36 »
I have used the cherry 4100 ml keyboard and at first i didn't like it because it felt too gritty. After using it for about a year now, it feels a lot better to type on and not as gritty as before. However, that could also be because i am used to the board more.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:05:31 »
I'd be more willing to see if I could break in my G84-4400 if only the layout on Cherry's ML series didn't suck! The switches themselves really aren't too bad, but they're definitely scratchy, at least when new (mine's NIB).
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:22:16 »

Doesn't the g710+ have o-rings?

You never heard of NOS (new old stock) :P
Yes they do have o-rings. But that doesn't matter. I would try to feel the bump and it wasn't really there. On my Ducky it's there and I can feel it.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 14:52:09 »
I'd be more willing to see if I could break in my G84-4400 if only the layout on Cherry's ML series didn't suck! The switches themselves really aren't too bad, but they're definitely scratchy, at least when new (mine's NIB).

Dolch FlexPac

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 19:23:14 »
Dolch FlexPac

It's an improvement, but I imagine it's ANSI only, and then you've got the trackpad at the front, which wastes a ton of space.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 02:26:52 »
300TH POST!

How sad it must be to realize that your 300th post was you being unable to recognize humor.
Well played, Moose.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 02:30:24 »
300TH POST!

How sad it must be to realize that your 300th post was you being unable to recognize humor.
Well played, Moose.

So does your mom know your not in bed?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:52:35 »
300TH POST!

Well played, Moose.

Most likely, but I hope that your mother on the other hand knows that you're online flaming teenagers.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:57:06 »
300TH POST!

Well played, Moose.

Most likely, but I hope that your mother on the other hand knows that you're online flaming teenagers.

:)) I just asked a simple question, I'd hate to know that we geekhackers are destroying our youths  :thumb: