Author Topic: HBFS-30 - The first Cherry MX button for Arcade Joystick in the world  (Read 6822 times)

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal

Cherry MX is now taking over the world of arcade joystick. The guy who are behind the HBFS-30 are amazing, they combine the MX within a joystick housing to create one of the very first Cherry MX switches for the Arcade Joystick. You can see more info here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hbfs-30-the-all-new-arcade-button-with-cherry-mx-keyswitch

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42394

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 04:47:29 by joneslee85 »
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: HBFS-30 - The first Cherry MX button for Arcade Joystick in the world
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:00:20 »
I thought low travel was good for fighting games..

since the original sanwa had 1mm or something vs 2mm on the cherry.

because if u play SF4.. u have 1 frame stuff... and 1 mm might make a difference here.

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 03:55:32 »
I think it is more personal preference, some prefer more travel distance and tactile feedback than others. Again I am not that pro to tell the differences, my brother is playing SF3 pretty much 24/7 so I am going to buy this for him this XMAS
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:04:15 »
Pretty sure these have been posted about quite a few times. I know there were a few threads discussing using these to do some other things with also but my search fu is weak today.

Offline Saviant

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 08:15:47 »
These had been posted about before. Coming from playing Fighting games and have 4 arcade sticks, 2 custom made, 1 modded and 1 stock I personally would not use them in any if my sticks. The Sanwa and other brand buttons are purely built for this 1 purpose and been around for a long time in arcade cabs. They may well be ok but the actuation point may be a nightmare in competitive play.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 11:22:22 »
These had been posted about before. Coming from playing Fighting games and have 4 arcade sticks, 2 custom made, 1 modded and 1 stock I personally would not use them in any if my sticks. The Sanwa and other brand buttons are purely built for this 1 purpose and been around for a long time in arcade cabs. They may well be ok but the actuation point may be a nightmare in competitive play.

It's a matter of what you've trained with.  It ends up being an issue of familiarity and reliability.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:02:25 »

It's a matter of what you've trained with.  It ends up being an issue of familiarity and reliability.

i'm not so sure...

Let's say you have a RANGE of reaction time, since you can't exhaustively train for ALL situations in most modern figthers, since there are too many variations,   there will be times where you catch that 1 frame link with the shorter throw 1mm where as with 2mm you would've missed it...

so in general.... shorter will always be better...

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 17:42:36 »
Binge's point still stands, if a player has used a certain control method for such a time and worked up to a level of play, they won't switch for a 1mm benefit for a 1 in a million chance. There's a pro running around using a 360 controller or something.

But, I would think these are totally implausible considering the force at which players hit the buttons, you will always bottom out and have at least 4mm of travel before you could even again actuate a press, though most probably 6mm. Does that cushion pad cause the switch to bottom out at the actuation point?

Anyway, I thought most standard links have a 12 frame window, and your lowest chance links, parries or blocks are 4 to 6 frames?

A 1 frame window would be considered impossible.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 18:18:46 »
Binge's point still stands, if a player has used a certain control method for such a time and worked up to a level of play, they won't switch for a 1mm benefit for a 1 in a million chance. There's a pro running around using a 360 controller or something.

But, I would think these are totally implausible considering the force at which players hit the buttons, you will always bottom out and have at least 4mm of travel before you could even again actuate a press, though most probably 6mm. Does that cushion pad cause the switch to bottom out at the actuation point?

Anyway, I thought most standard links have a 12 frame window, and your lowest chance links, parries or blocks are 4 to 6 frames?

ur right usually more...

but the shorter the travel, the greater your odds of catching it from the instance you notice..

Now we're not discussing whether you're going to Train on / stick with a certain switch..

We're discussing the merit of each switch individually..

And I do believe lower travel should be prioritized.

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 18:57:11 »

ur right usually more...

but the shorter the travel, the greater your odds of catching it from the instance you notice..

Now we're not discussing whether you're going to Train on / stick with a certain switch..

I do too, they're quoting a 2.5mm total travel, they must be putting a stopper in.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 09:27:33 »

ur right usually more...

I do too, they're quoting a 2.5mm total travel, they must be putting a stopper in.

i meant' travel to acutation.. so i meant actuation point..
sanwa will actuation around 1mm.. cherry @ 2mm

Offline Patchwrks

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 18:14:59 »

wrong

Abel's f. MK, st. HP
- His cr. LK, st. HP
- st. close HK, cr. LK

Ibuki's cr. LP, st. MK
- Her LK Tsumuji, st. LP
- cr. LP, cr. MP
- st. MP, st. MK
- Max range slide, st. LP

Ken's st. LP, U2

Sakura's EX Shouoken FADC cr. HP

Seth's st. close HK, st. MP