Author Topic: verified: Unicomp SSK in the works!  (Read 18910 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: verified: Unicomp SSK in the works!
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 08:17:18 »
Just checked out Unicomp's facebook page and it does seem pretty definite that they are indeed working on a space saving buckling spring keyboard.  :D

(Attachment Link)

Some of the guys over at DT are also drawing up their own proposals for an SSK prototype as we speak and have already submitted some early designs to Unicomp:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I could easily see this as being my favorite keyboard of all time. They have done a really nice job of modernizing the look of the original SSK.

I do wonder how receptive Unicomp would be to outside ideas, especially to a change to their precious logo?

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/a-proposal-for-a-new-ssk-t6977.html

This is welcoming news after the disappointments of late, but whether it will be released before 2016 is another story...

Edit: as pointed out by CPT, Mkawa has been working on GH's own community driven SSK Revival Project since last year, and has been conjointly (with DT) assisting Unicomp's engineers.

If this was not insanely expensive, I'd like to buy one, just to try the acclaimed buckling spring switch.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 10:10:50 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52772.msg1174190#msg1174190

Here is the text of that link:

I tested the membrane through notepad and everything seems to be working fine. On my first bolt mod I ran into the issue of over tightening and switches not working and remember panicking a bit.

I called Unicomp this afternoon and it went a bit like this: (not exact wording but close)
Me: Im rebuilding an ibm model m model 1391472 and am looking for a replacement frame. Will the 84-key frame you have work with my board?
CSR: We don't have 84-key frames.
Me: I was sure I saw them listed on your site.
CSR: No you didn't. We don't carry those. Only 101 and 104.
Me: If I were to cut down the 101 would it possibly fit?
CSR: That I do not know. I can tell you that we are currently developing our own 84-key that you can get a hold of sometime middle of next year.
Me: Excellent. Thank you very much.
-End call-

From there I went to the site and put in my order for the FR84 Frame that was listed, Cable, and the replacement pivots and springs, some extras of those. See if Mr. CSR or the site is lying/uninformed.

Now the waiting game.

Thanks again for your informative replies. They're really helping my confidence in saving this thing as well as learning some new things.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 11:01:24 »

I tested the membrane through notepad and everything seems to be working fine. On my first bolt mod I ran into the issue of over tightening and switches not working and remember panicking a bit.

I called Unicomp this afternoon and it went a bit like this: (not exact wording but close)
Me: Im rebuilding an ibm model m model 1391472 and am looking for a replacement frame. Will the 84-key frame you have work with my board?
CSR: That I do not know. I can tell you that we are currently developing our own 84-key that you can get a hold of sometime middle of next year.
-End call-

From there I went to the site and put in my order for the FR84 Frame that was listed, Cable, and the replacement pivots and springs, some extras of those. See if Mr. CSR or the site is lying/uninformed.

Now the waiting game.

Thanks again for your informative replies. They're really helping my confidence in saving this thing as well as learning some new things.

Interesting. Well at least the CSR states clearly they are building their own 84.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 11:27:12 »

-End call-

Now the waiting game.

I found that conversation a bit humorous haha :) My wallet is ready for a Unicomp TKL, let's hope things pan out!
;)

Offline BlueMica

• 1994 RX-7 R2 GT35R 500+AWHP 2004 Subaru STI GT45R
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 15:56:57 »
They should just chop off 3 inches off the keyboard and traces instead of trying to redesign the whole keyboard. The SSK used to run for about 60 to 90, now at regularly over 100 dollars; I would consider a Unicomp, if it had USB and 6KRO.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 December 2013, 16:08:38 by BlueMica »
Noppoo Choc Mini Black POM Cherry MX Red | Filco MJ1 Cherry MX Blue | Realforce 87U "EK-Edition" |1989 IBM SSK | Filco Ninja Cherry MX Brown | Filco Zero TKL

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #105 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 16:08:58 »
what the bulk of people want now (ie. Backlit, tkl, nkro) with the promise that its longevity and hence value over time are assured.

I agree with most of what you said, but backlit? That might well be a nightmare in manufacturing, and I would not want it personally. Translucent barrel frame with lighting integral to the membranes? I suspect that it would make the product look like a gimmick rather than a solid machine.

It seems to me that people want native USB, NKRO, and more color selections.

USB, gimmick

NKRO, gimmick

Colors, M0re gimmick

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 21:51:07 »
what the bulk of people want now (ie. Backlit, tkl, nkro) with the promise that its longevity and hence value over time are assured.

I agree with most of what you said, but backlit? That might well be a nightmare in manufacturing, and I would not want it personally. Translucent barrel frame with lighting integral to the membranes? I suspect that it would make the product look like a gimmick rather than a solid machine.

It seems to me that people want native USB, NKRO, and more color selections.

USB, gimmick

NKRO, gimmick

Colors, M0re gimmick

USB: not a gimmick. PS2 is being phased out, so having some sort of USB support is important.
NRKO: full NKRO is a bit of a gimmick for most people, but a more optimized layout for gaming (more than 2KRO) would be amazing for those who want it.
Colors: sure. Gimmick.

Remember, though: gimmicks sell. Sometimes. If advertised properly...
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 22:49:21 »
NRKO: full NKRO is a bit of a gimmick for most people, but a more optimized layout for gaming (more than 2KRO) would be amazing for those who want it.
Colors: sure. Gimmick.

Remember, though: gimmicks sell. Sometimes. If advertised properly...
Even a gaming optimized membrane circuit is 2KRO for a membrane KB like this.

In theory they could redesign a very complicated membrane with a very expensive connector and put the diodes on the PCB for higher key rollover I guess but I don't see it happening. I'll stick to model F for gaming.
They could easily do some anthracite gray keys with black lettering. They would look kickass in both black and white keyboards.
"easy" for most companies is like pulling teeth with unicomp. "new" grey / black dyesubs new product for unicomp 2016 (or never) I predict.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 28 December 2013, 23:11:15 »
I'm with everybody else on this one....I'll believe it when I see it.

Thought just came to mind....HHKB design with Buckling Spring!  :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 00:52:59 »

Ergo Dox with buckling spring? :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 01:03:52 »

Ergo Dox with buckling spring? :eek:

maybe if they had an Ergo Buckling spring.. I mean a "lighter" one..

It seems that many people are using a w-rest with the Egdx, while buckling spring due to the heaviness benefits from quick strike technique through hover-wrist stance

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 01:12:26 »
maybe if they had an Ergo Buckling spring.. I mean a "lighter" one..

It seems that many people are using a w-rest with the Egdx, while buckling spring due to the heaviness benefits from quick strike technique through hover-wrist stance
Let's stick to getting it into the ErgoDox layout first...

Maybe Model F barrels with M hammers and a custom membrane?
The proof of concept for both the membrane and the barrel layouts are both completed. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch to mold the Model F barrels so we don't need to cannibalize existing boards for them.

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 01:50:43 »
For those new to the Unicomp saga, here are a series of threads that will show just how long Unicomp has been dangling the SSK carrot in front of GHers - even iMav was as excited as we, though admittedly a long time ago...

For those old-timers who are weary with getting their hopes up only to be constantly dashed time and time again, bear with us please.

With Mkawa's SSKR Revival Project and M'er Forever's SSK plans over at DT, there may just be sufficient impetus to pull Unicomp out of the quagmire of stagnation and into a bright new age. If enough of the initial batch of SSKs are produced, and if they do sell, then successive batches may see additional features added as Unicomp experiences a resurgence in the market 20 years after taking over from Lexmark.

Looks like iMav already had that very same dream some time ago  :)

Quote from: Mikecase00;2478
What's to redesign?  The ModelM Mini layout was already the best small keyboard design ever.  It had beefy construction, fit in server racks, buckling springs, what's to improve?
The Model M mini is a great "spacesaver" keyboard.  Full-sized keyboard minus that horrid numpad.  However, it is not exactly a keyboard you'd easily be able to carry back and forth in your laptop bag.

The MightyMouse (see Unicomp's online store) is a perfect size for carting back and forth...but uses membrane keyswitches.  What I'd like to see is a HHKB layout with buckling springs and an optional trackpoint.  That would totally rock.  (don't think we'll get that...but I can dream)

Going back through the time machine of geekhack I now see that Unicomp did in fact have the means to re-build ssk's using old parts; the last one they made was for iMav:

Spoke with Jim Owens from Unicomp the other day.  Wanted to know if they had the parts to assemble another 84-key Model M spacesaver for me.  It turns out, they used their last available parts to make the one I now own.  So, I have the very last Model M mini ever made!   8)

Unfortunately, the reason why Unicomp could not continue fixing up peoples' SSK's is that their tooling broke. So once they ran out of old parts that was it:

This is dumb.. Unicomp is making a new one soon-ish.. 

why bother.

You can only "collect" something until you're DEAD...  what was the point of that collection if it was for BNIB as in "something" you can't use...  :))

No. Unicomp isn't. They have no intention of ever doing a SSK case, because the tooling is broke. They can't make a SSK membrane. They don't make SSK barrels or plates afaik. There's a reason the SSKRew exist. If you can cite an official Unicomp rep saying they are planning to manufacture a SSK, then I'll consider your statement.

Cheers,

So, I wonder why there was this strange 84-key frame available until only just recently, and what was it used for...and how was it made? We do seem to be going in circles with Unicomp. All I know is, if not for Mkawa's (and other's) persistence and powers of persuasion, the SSK or mini buckling spring keyboard may forever remain a thing of the past.

But maybe...just maybe, a brand new SSK with brand new tooling and molds will come out, and in 2014!

Can you hear the crank of new tooling and new molds being produced in creaky old Unicomp?

2014: Unicomp SSK 20th Anniversary Special Edition!

Edit: Unicomp was founded in 1996 so this 2014 would be their 18th not 20th anniversary.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:59:18 by BlackWidowMan777 »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:14:58 »
For those new to the Unicomp saga, here are a series of threads that will show just how long Unicomp has been dangling the SSK carrot in front of GHers - even iMav was as excited as we, though admittedly a long time ago...

For those old-timers who are weary with getting their hopes up only to be constantly dashed time and time again, bear with us please.

With Mkawa's SSKR Revival Project and M'er Forever's SSK plans over at DT, there may just be sufficient impetus to pull Unicomp out of the quagmire of stagnation and into a bright new age. If enough of the initial batch of SSKs are produced, and if they do sell, then successive batches may see additional features added as Unicomp experiences a resurgence in the market 20 years after taking over from Lexmark.

Looks like iMav already had that very same dream some time ago  :)

Quote from: Mikecase00;2478
What's to redesign?  The ModelM Mini layout was already the best small keyboard design ever.  It had beefy construction, fit in server racks, buckling springs, what's to improve?
The Model M mini is a great "spacesaver" keyboard.  Full-sized keyboard minus that horrid numpad.  However, it is not exactly a keyboard you'd easily be able to carry back and forth in your laptop bag.

The MightyMouse (see Unicomp's online store) is a perfect size for carting back and forth...but uses membrane keyswitches.  What I'd like to see is a HHKB layout with buckling springs and an optional trackpoint.  That would totally rock.  (don't think we'll get that...but I can dream)

Going back through the time machine of geekhack I now see that Unicomp did in fact have the means to re-build ssk's using old parts; the last one they made was for iMav:

Spoke with Jim Owens from Unicomp the other day.  Wanted to know if they had the parts to assemble another 84-key Model M spacesaver for me.  It turns out, they used their last available parts to make the one I now own.  So, I have the very last Model M mini ever made!   8)

Unfortunately, the reason why Unicomp could not continue fixing up peoples' SSK's is that their tooling broke. So once they ran out of old parts that was it:

This is dumb.. Unicomp is making a new one soon-ish.. 

why bother.

You can only "collect" something until you're DEAD...  what was the point of that collection if it was for BNIB as in "something" you can't use...  :))

No. Unicomp isn't. They have no intention of ever doing a SSK case, because the tooling is broke. They can't make a SSK membrane. They don't make SSK barrels or plates afaik. There's a reason the SSKRew exist. If you can cite an official Unicomp rep saying they are planning to manufacture a SSK, then I'll consider your statement.

Cheers,

So, I wonder why there was this strange 84-key frame available until only just recently, and what was it used for...and how was it made? We do seem to be going in circles with Unicomp. All I know is, if not for Mkawa's (and other's) persistence and powers of persuasion, the SSK or mini buckling spring keyboard may forever remain a thing of the past.

But maybe...just maybe, a brand new SSK with brand new tooling and molds will come out, and in 2014!

Can you hear the crank of new tooling and new molds being produced in creaky old Unicomp?

2014: Unicomp SSK 20th Anniversary Special Edition!

Edit: Unicomp was founded in 1996 so this 2014 would be their 18th not 20th anniversary.
The color of your text needs to change

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:28:21 »
That blue text gave me a headache..

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:44:16 »

Sorry bout the colour. I'm colour-blind :)

What colour should I use?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:45:23 »

****ing white?

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:46:32 »
Change your theme to white :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 02:51:40 »

Change your theme to white :))

Ok gimme five minutes

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 03:05:26 »

I'm colorblind too and that blue is much harder to read than just white :P
;)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 03:08:08 »
I very much doubt Akimbro is ever going to have to eat his shoe. The likelihood that Unicomp will ever produce something new, is pretty close to the likelihood that the US will quit invading and bombing other people's countries and close down their 700+ military bases overseas.

I strongly support Mkawa and anybody's SSK revival. A revival launched and organized by fans is much, much more likely to come true than anything from Unicomp. Remember, these guys actually think geriatric extra-large font keycaps is a Big Big Awesome Change.

The average Unicomp Engineer is probably in his 60s and merely trying to make enough money to put aside for retirement. So when he 'works on something', it's just a corporate statement made to pacify other people. It's not a scheduled product launch, it's a BS cover-all vague statement that says no without sounding like no.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 03:29:14 »
I very much doubt Akimbro is ever going to have to eat his shoe. The likelihood that Unicomp will ever produce something new, is pretty close to the likelihood that the US will quit invading and bombing other people's countries and close down their 700+ military bases overseas.

I strongly support Mkawa and anybody's SSK revival. A revival launched and organized by fans is much, much more likely to come true than anything from Unicomp. Remember, these guys actually think geriatric extra-large font keycaps is a Big Big Awesome Change.

The average Unicomp Engineer is probably in his 60s and merely trying to make enough money to put aside for retirement. So when he 'works on something', it's just a corporate statement made to pacify other people. It's not a scheduled product launch, it's a BS cover-all vague statement that says no without sounding like no.

Unicomp has obviously been dragging its feet in terms of innovation, however there must at some point be a passing of the torch, when the old generation passes its legacy to the new. Even though the founding members of Unicomp are most probably preparing for retirement, they may want to go out in style. And what better way to ensure the company's future than an SSK?

Even within the company, there have been calls for outside pressure:

Unicomp customization
Quote from: cactux;485166
As you may notice people love full customization ( different shells colors, multiple keycaps colors, etc). 
Is Unicomp willing to provide suche degree of custumisation to there customers. Also as you may know the ten key less boards are very popular ( The real space savers) are you going to offer that this kind of boards, like in the old IBM days?

I see there is a HUGE request for a tenkeyless keyboard.... please submit your request at http://support.pckeyboard.com !!!  pressure pressure pressure! ;)

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 05:23:53 »
Dude its never happening.  Sorry.

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 05:34:09 »

No worries. If it does it does. If not - I'm not holding my breath  :))

I might get a Classic 104 Trackball though. That way I don't need to save space for my mouse.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 06:26:37 »

if you're so confident in that, take the SSK shoe-challenge..

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 10:26:10 »
Would be nice to have a Unicomp rep to shim in.

There is so few Keyboard Forums. It wouldn't be that hard.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 12:54:00 »
Would be nice to have a Unicomp rep to shim in.

There is so few Keyboard Forums. It wouldn't be that hard.
The likelihood that there is a rep that browses all of the forums and knows about this one particular topic at this particular time where we want their input is unlikely.