Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Mixed Feelings  (Read 25705 times)

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
HHKB Pro 2 Mixed Feelings
« on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:12:09 »
For those who don't have an opinion either which way.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Mixed Feelings
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:14:00 »
I haven't tried Thorpe so I don't know what to think. But I certainly feel strongly about it.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:14:24 »
there is the HHKB hate thread, The love thread and now there is a mixed feelings thread. It never ends!

Offline adhoc

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:14:35 »
This is kind of pointless a thread to be honest...the love gets love and hate thread gets love, what would this get?

Alright, let me start off, I really like the HHKBP2. I love it, actually.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:15:53 »
This is kind of pointless a thread to be honest...the love gets love and hate thread gets love, what would this get?

welcome to my life.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:16:02 »
Yeah.. you are just encouraging me to type more on my HHKB .. and I assure you this thread will get many response because we just love to type on the HHKB.. you know... LOVEEEEEE!

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:16:27 »
HHKB makes me feel funny in the pants area.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:17:35 »

I feel good about this.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:18:13 »

Yes.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:21:01 »
I haven't tried Thorpe so I don't know what to think. But I certainly feel strongly about it.

Lol'd

Thorpie feels good. I don't know what to do with this feel.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 02:21:39 »
Enjoy it?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 03:18:24 »
Sometimes I think that my Thorpe doesn't Thock as much as it should.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 04:04:29 »
Actually neither love nor hate would be ideally where I stand. My HHKB experience has been ok for me so far, there are some things that I would love to have it appear in my HHKB along with a feature or two that I wouldn't really miss if my HHKB did not have it. Then there are things like HHKB HG which the case design I would just drool to have. Maybe if the individual keycaps were also made of the same material that would be really nice.

Apart from that I really love the feeling of typing on HHKB, it feels really soft and welcoming. Regardless of which other keyboards I am on (even though I have very few other keyboards let alone much mechanical keyboards at that) the feeling of typing on HHKB is just nice. Though contrary to that whenever I jump from HHKB to say for instance APC membrane I could feel the keys are really stiff (on the APC membrane - yes it is at least a decades old technology that has been "backyard tech" refurbished) on my fingers yet the HHKB is just there teasing me about how soft if feels. I don't know about you guys but HHKB is really "sucking" me in slowly and gradually with the nice feel, with the slight varied layout (as opposed to HHKB Pro2 which I don't have) and that I have sunk in a fair amount of money for.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 05:15:30 »
<insert the photo about typing on boobs>

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 05:18:19 »
Love it

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 05:24:44 »
<insert the photo about typing on boobs>
*Catches a hint of that and notices something written in the signature then posts this...*
Cloud of boobs.

Show Image

HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 06:22:40 »
Since I don't have mine yet, this would probably be the thread to say this in. There are a few things I know of that I see as potential cons:
  • ABS spacebar
  • Too light
  • Feet not grippy enough

Actually, I thought there was more than that. Someone dispel my concerns  :'(

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 06:34:52 »
Pros

-Topruhh switches

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Snigeln

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 06:36:55 »
Since I don't have mine yet, this would probably be the thread to say this in. There are a few things I know of that I see as potential cons:
  • ABS spacebar
  • Too light
  • Feet not grippy enough

That it's light is a plus if you carry it with you. I guess the Pro2 is the same as the JP when it comes to grippyness (which is terrible) but that is easy to fix with some cheap rubber pads
HHKB Pro JP Ducky Mini Ducky G2Pro

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 08:05:44 »
  • ABS spacebar
  • Too light
  • Feet not grippy enough

That it's light is a plus if you carry it with you. I guess the Pro2 is the same as the JP when it comes to grippyness (which is terrible) but that is easy to fix with some cheap rubber pads
HHKB Pro JP has PBT spacebar but is smaller in aesthetics. Not sure on the plastic used on Pro2 but Pro JP it is ABS. Pro2 has a "bit of a" con and that is with USB hub not able to power up certain equipment. Also one other person has reported issues with it not being compatible with iPad or something.

I don't have HHKB Pro2 so I wouldn't be able to test either of the cases however.

HHKB, in fact Topre are also rated at 30 million key presses or more (warning link is in Japanese) as opposed to Cherry MX (for instance) whose are rated at 50 million key presses. Topre key caps in general are not as common as Cherry MX key caps but replacement key caps are usually PBT based plastic with dye-sublimation (to prevent both yellowing and/or legends wearing easily). Again Pro2 spacebar is only in ABS unlike Pro JP which is PBT. Topre switches are designed distinctively different from Cherry MX. It maybe easy for one to buy Cherry MX switches and replace them with some tools but the same thing cannot be done with Topre switches. The rubber dome sits over the conical spring and all these are sitting on a single PCB. Also one cannot buy lighter switches as a single unit/piece. They must buy the entire keyboard to harvest the rubber domes for instance out of that other keyboard for use with HHKB.

HHKB Pro in Japan, apparently is was cheaper for one to buy the HHKB Pro JP as opposed to HHKB Pro2. (link again is in Japanese). HHKB Pro Type-S series are an exception here.

HHKB Pro2 lacks a few keys like right control, dedicated arrow keys and is more orientated as ANSI layout. HHKB Pro JP virtually follows the JIS layout but also incorporates dedicated arrow keys. However at the expense of all that the DIP switch settings on both the HHKB Pro2 and HHKB Pro JP are different. (link again in Japanese)

HHKB like Realforce, Leopold, etc generally has their own unique set of key cap dimensions. On most keys like alphanumerical key caps it is easily replaceable/interchangeable between most Topre based keyboard. The modifier keys are not as easily interchangeable. HHKB Pro2 may have closer similarities with Realforce spare key cap range but you won't be able to find a red left control key for instance.

One more point I almost forgot to add, HHKB in particular has the "slider housing" molded as part of the keyboard case. So that makes designing a custom case a little more challenging for instance.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 December 2013, 08:19:39 by tuxsavvy »

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 08:37:17 »

That's exactly why we need moar HHKB threads!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 08:55:25 »
I like this thread because I don't give a **** either way. Thanks for finding a place for me, kmiller.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 09:48:58 »

If HHKB were a woman, I'd make love to it, too.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:03:04 »
HHKB should be the only keyboard produced. Every other keyboard is LITERALLY beneath it in every way. Teachers should take away points from students if their papers aren't typed on a HHKB.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:36:46 »
I love my HHKB pro 2!!! But wish there were dedicated arrows.. But that'd ruin the perfect look..

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:44:37 »
HHKB should be the only keyboard produced. Every other keyboard is LITERALLY beneath it in every way. Teachers should take away points from students if their papers aren't typed on a HHKB.

I was perfectly happy with my ergo clears before these threads started. Now I'm questioning every keyboard decision I've ever made.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:46:18 »

I was perfectly happy with my ergo clears before these threads started. Now I'm questioning every keyboard decision I've ever made.

But you weren't Happy Hacking...

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:48:18 »
I pretend typed on an HHKB once.  It felt pretty good.  Not good enough to make me go buy right away, but it was alright.  Now I'm tempted to maybe get a thorpe keyboard.  I don't know how to feel about it.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:54:31 »
It's a keyboard
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 11:09:36 »

In terms of happiness.

Typing on hhkb > your first beer > your first concert > first negative pregnancy scare > first born

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 11:12:28 »

In terms of happiness.

Typing on hhkb > your first beer > your first concert > first negative pregnancy scare > first born

Lol !

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 12:42:39 »
Your first beer was better than your first concert? I thought I knew you, Demik.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 13:26:27 »
Your first beer was better than your first concert? I thought I knew you, Demik.
You either had bad beer or didn't make musical mistakes as a youngster.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 13:28:49 »

Beer is great here in BC [WUT WUT] I guess I made some terrible musical mistakes but, at the time loved them so much, they seem like fond memories.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 13:30:20 »

My first beer was Budweiser  :'(

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 13:30:21 »
Oh the memories are fond. But thinking back I enjoyed my first beer more than my first concert.

Offline Snigeln

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 19:02:19 »

No it wasn't, tap water doesn't count!
HHKB Pro JP Ducky Mini Ducky G2Pro

Offline Emospence

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 00:31:00 »
Love the switch feel, too unused to layout
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 04:41:52 »

No it wasn't, tap water doesn't count!

All the Americans here have my deepest sympathies with regards to beer for some reason you guys get screwed on beer.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 06:24:32 »
Eh, Americans...we've got beer older than their country over here in Europe! ;D

Seriously though, you have not drank beer until you've been to Czech. You have to see that...beer is like 0.5$ per 0.5 litre and you've got like 30 beers to choose from even in ordinary bars. Hell, you can even choose one brand of beer and then choose how strong you want it to be on this specific beer-o-scale.

Offline takethree

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 09:48:14 »
Ok. I've received my HHKB Pro 2.

Just my initial impressions of it.

What I'm experiencing so far, you can put me under the "HHKB Pro 2 Mixed Feelings" category lol.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
HHKB Pro 2 Mixed Feelings
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 10:03:18 »
It grows on you.. And one day you find that you can't live without it.. Like a wife. Ha ha.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 15:27:16 »
Ok. I've received my HHKB Pro 2.

Just my initial impressions of it.

What I'm experiencing so far, you can put me under the "HHKB Pro 2 Mixed Feelings" category lol.

I got mine yesterday and pretty much love everything about it. What do you have mixed feelings about?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 15:35:59 »
You notice a great deal of topre fanboi-ng  in every topre thread..

Most of the owners are too detered to admitting they've spent $300 on a "meh" keyboard..

And the LOVE that they speak of, is Overcompensation in fueling the need to justify their purchase..

The alternative is to say.. ****.. I squandered/wasted $300...    This is psychologically difficult to deal with if $300 represent a significant portion of their expenses..

I've yet to see a thread that objectively evaluates HHKB as I have...

Offline adhoc

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 15:44:38 »
Seriously, not every keyboard is for everyone. You're talking about it as if it is the worst thing you could buy, "wasting 300$". You're overreacting with jizzing over your ergo keyboards 3 people in the world care about and with your hate talk you're just as bad as all the fan boys orgasming over the HHKB as if it's the best thing ever made.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 15:46:36 »

I've yet to see a thread that subjectively evaluates HHKB as I have...

Show Image

First, I think tp4 meant to say "objectively" instead of "subjectively", since he is claiming HHKB lovers are too subjective in their descriptions of their keyboards.

Second, the word "fanboi" went out of fashion in 2005.

Third, HHKB is better than any other keyboard available. 

Fourth, I am ambivalent about mixed feelings.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 15:46:49 »
Seriously, not every keyboard is for everyone. You're talking about as if it is the ****tiest thing you could buy, "wasting 300$". You're overreacting with jizzing over your ergo keyboards 3 people in the world care about and with your hate talk you're just as bad as all the fan boys orgasming over the HHKB as if it's the best thing ever made.

No I am not..

I evaluate all keyboards I've ever used based solely on their USEFUL attributes..

I exclude aesthetics and my emotions over them completely..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 15:48:03 »

I've yet to see a thread that subjectively evaluates HHKB as I have...

Show Image

First, I think tp4 meant to say "objectively" instead of "subjectively", since he is claiming HHKB lovers are too subjective in their descriptions of their keyboards.

Second, the word "fanboi" went out of fashion in 2005.

Third, HHKB is better than any other keyboard available. 

Fourth, I am ambivalent about mixed feelings.

corrected, thx.. I typed it out too fast, cuz the Egdx is just soooo ergonomic that sometimes I can't control the speed of my fingers.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 15:50:54 »
No, I am quite 100% positive you are overreacting with your hate. Doesn't matter, anybody reading through your posts can identify that and disregard your "objectivity" immediately.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 15:53:33 »
No, I am quite 100% positive you are overreacting with your hate. Doesn't matter, anybody reading through your posts can identify that and disregard your "objectivity" immediately.

LOL.. fanboi much?

And the perfect example of your insane emotion.. is the fact that you read my post as hatred for HHKB..

I do not hate HHKB or Topre..   I hate fanbois  who mislead people into buying something by hyping their personal purchases above what it actually is..

And what's worse, is they mostly do it for a selfish reason, such that they themselves do not feel cheated of $300.