Which profile this set should be?

DCS (standard filco-like caps)
38 (43.7%)
DSA (low spherical)
22 (25.3%)
SA (tall spherical)
27 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: [IC] ALL NEW Midnight SA set  (Read 169894 times)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: [IC] Midnight set
« Reply #600 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:20:36 »
I hope so!

Just be aware Matt that there are lots of group buys currently happening and thus far 3/4 of them are failing to get the required numbers for SP to even bother heating up the molds to pour the plastic into.

Maybe the people here are running out of money (guessing) or aren't interested in key-caps anymore  :o .

I am still hoping they're waiting for you to release the next 'special' Matt3o designed key-set and the numbers will fly in to order these.  Very difficult to predict Geekhack moods and likes.

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #601 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:56:07 »
Tomorrow? :(

Looks like not today at least; PST business hours have passed. I'm eager for this to start too because it means we're that much closer to figuring out the SA caps.

Offline Alex528

• HELLO YES I LIKE CLICKY KEYBOARD YES VERY NICE
« Reply #602 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:57:46 »
Tomorrow? :(

Looks like not today at least; PST business hours have passed. I'm eager for this to start too because it means we're that much closer to figuring out the SA caps.
I'm not sure what that means, I just like the purdy colours.

Poker 2, SP PBT DSA, MX Blues.

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #603 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 21:13:06 »
Hah, well.. Here's a probably unneeded explanation: Pacific Standard Time. Signature Plastics is located on the west cost of the United States, and they probably only post things and do business during the standard 9am-5pm business hours.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #604 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 21:38:45 »
I hope so!

Just be aware Matt that there are lots of group buys currently happening and thus far 3/4 of them are failing to get the required numbers for SP to even bother heating up the molds to pour the plastic into.

Maybe the people here are running out of money (guessing) or aren't interested in key-caps anymore  :o .

I am still hoping they're waiting for you to release the next 'special' Matt3o designed key-set and the numbers will fly in to order these.  Very difficult to predict Geekhack moods and likes.

This one will reach MOQ and exceed like granite, no doubt it my mind.

The ones that didn't were simply not as appealing, not that there wasn't enough demand. The firefly set didn't really appeal to me and I own the blu-ray for the TV series, in theory I would be the key demo for the set and even I wasn't interested because the design/options available were just 'ok' to me.

Same goes for other sets. Commondore has the makings of a successful group buy in some ways but misses the boat on others.  The initial buy in is steep like Orange Crush and the options for add ons are limited. The set's color scheme is pretty limited also (3 colors) and it's the rare example of a retro keyset you actually are glad doesn't exist anymore (color wise), that's my subjective opinion on it. Also Orange Crush might as well be named 'Orange keys with white font' since that's all it really was, except for a couple of novelty orange slice keys.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 June 2014, 21:41:23 by GSimon »

Offline Alex528

« Reply #605 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 22:14:07 »
Honestly these key caps are super duper unique and cool. Although it looks subdued with the darker colour scheme, it's still very special and has subtle features that make it cooler then a lot of other sets. I'm not sure if I'm crazy or something but I also find it pretty relaxing compared to some of the more chaotic colour schemes caps out there and I really like the custom wolf and moon key caps.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #606 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 00:07:05 »

This one will reach MOQ and exceed like granite, no doubt it my mind.

The set will reach MOQ without a doubt, but I don't believe order numbers will skyrocket like the Granite Set.

There were so many awesome GBs in the last couple of months that many people might have spent their keyboard money for 2014.

I wouldn't mind delaying this GB a little bit to let my wallet revocer ;)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #607 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 00:31:39 »
There were so many awesome GBs in the last couple of months that many people might have spent their keyboard money for 2014.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that not everyone's wallet will enjoy a 24/7 gangbang of Group Buys  ;D .

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #608 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:11:44 »
I put myself in the hassle of organizing a GB only if I find that the set is unique and original enough. The Midnight set is a cool "standard" set, not particularly original but something interesting if you like DCS (and at least it has Cherry legends). Anyway considering the abundance of GBs, in the future I will work only on sets that have never been done before (eg: sublimated SA).

I agree we have too many GBs lately and "unfortunately" the Midnight set will be competing with another couple of GBs that will start at the same time. I suggested SP to limit the number of concurrent GBs, but it seems they prefer to have many small deals compared to few hits. That being said I believe that Midnight has that traditional-with-a-twist factor that should grab a large audience of "average" users, so the MOQ shouldn't be a problem.

SP told me yesterday that the set should go live in the next few hours.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:13:59 by Matt3o »

Offline EppyKay

« Reply #609 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:19:14 »

Yeah, I keep forgetting that not everyone's wallet will enjoy a 24/7 gangbang of Group Buys  ;D .

Don't forget to factor in broad appeal. Granite was retro in a nice sort of way and Galaxy Class and Skull Squadron had the geeky novelty thing going. The rest of them were kinda niche. Unless you really wanted a creamsicle keyboard or already had a keyset that matched the Firefly one, they weren't really gonna sell well. The C64 set is a tossup because I think more people are familiar with the dark brown C64.

I'd bet Midnight has a good shot because it is a complete set, has darker colors that aren't as polarizing, and well it has Matt's name on it.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #610 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:20:54 »
I would also like to stress on the fact that it's one of the very few keyset with mods lighter than alphas :P

Offline GSimon

« Reply #611 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:29:00 »
It's going to be a hit, I'd say 300 orders Alpha Base conservatively (400+ expected ;))

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #612 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:36:08 »
I don't think it will be so successful. it should tip, but I doubt it will do as good as the Granite.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #613 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:39:55 »
I could have my sights set a bit high, there is also 2 group buys for this (SA/DCS) so maybe I'm overestimating things a little.

However, I bought into Granite and this one is even more eye catching to me and I'm a tad biased in thinking others will feel the same way also :D. But the add-ons are great and the colors are unique, same with the idea even though you may consider it to be a more 'standard/general' theme, so for those reasons too I think it has a lot going for it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #614 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:45:29 »
I don't think it will be so successful. it should tip, but I doubt it will do as good as the Granite.

Mr. Modest as usual here.  Anything that has your name connected to it, flies like a 'bat outta hell' every time.

You got to be more confident in your ability as a designer here Matt, no one can ever take that away from you buddy  :thumb: .

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #615 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:49:20 »
I could have my sights set a bit high, there is also 2 group buys for this (SA/DCS) so maybe I'm overestimating things a little.

However, I bought into Granite and this one is even more eye catching to me and I'm a tad biased in thinking others will feel the same way also :D. But the add-ons are great and the colors are unique, same with the idea even though you may consider it to be a more 'standard/general' theme, so for those reasons too I think it has a lot going for it.

I think you overestimate the number of people who will actually place an order. Often times many people like a design, but don't commit anyway because the next best thing showed up or they spent their money elsewhere.

The Toxic GB "only" sold 200 alpha sets although it was the most hyped DCS GB ever...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #616 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:52:45 »
Please note that from the mockups the set came out more blue than it actually is (even though I used the calibrated colors). Maybe it's better if I desaturate the images a little. The set is actually more very dark gray (with a light bluish tint).

@Elrick, thank you mate you are my number 1 motivator :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:56:44 by Matt3o »

Offline EppyKay

« Reply #617 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:53:37 »
It really is a nice set and I'm sure it will do well, but don't forget that Granite kinda coincided with a Massdrop ergodox buy, and I'm sure that helped boost it's numbers. I know that is one of the reasons I bought it (though that doesn't explain why I picked up two sets, both mods, and a numpad.). I can see this doing better than Galaxy or Skull, maybe hitting the 200 mark.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:56:59 by EppyKay »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #618 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 01:55:54 »
It really is a nice set and I'm sure it will do well, but don't forget that granite kinda coincided with a massdrop ergodox buy, and I'm sure that helped boost it's numbers. I know that is one of the reasons I bought it (though that doesn't explain why I picked up two sets, both Mods, and a numpad.). I can see this doing better than Galaxy or Skull, maybe hitting the 200 mark.

Granite is the only keyset with legends for Ergodox. That helped for sure. Not to mention that it is PBT and it's the first GB ever to include PBT spacebar. Very few reasons not to like it.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #619 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:01:53 »
Lol, ok well it's clear I may have my head up in the sky a bit with my expectations. I don't have strong numbers and evidence to back up my suspicions and the points in favor the Granite set are pretty convincing.

Though I did consider the Toxic Group buy in relation to this but I can see differences. Ctrl.Alt's site wasn't exactly error free when the GB first started, and it wasn't until a few weeks in that people were notified that they could add to their existing order by placing a new order (rather than wait for them to implement a feature that would allow you to edit a previous order). I believe having numbers associated with the MOQ can help too and the PMK site has that, for example "25 people have purchased this set" for a numpad etc.
Lastly this GB has some windowed keys and other extras which make it a bit more distinct, and you can get extra spacebars without committing to such a huge pack for 30$.

Again, many other factors that I haven't considered probably will impact this but I'm still optimistic about it's potential :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:03:25 by GSimon »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #620 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:03:50 »
yeah! I'm sold. I'll set 500 as MOQ :D

Offline EppyKay

« Reply #621 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:09:57 »
Oh yeah, I'm optimistic about it also. I was actually seriously considering toxic until I saw this and decided to save my money for it. I'm really glad I did since now I need that SA ergodox set.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #622 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:12:07 »

Matteo's Obligatory Quantity

His designs won't be available for orders of anything less!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #623 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:12:56 »
SA will start a little later. I pushed DCS for now, like I said at least 2 new GBs will start at the same time. Better to wait a little for SA.

Actually I was hoping to have a tighter discussion on the SA set, well I'll make up something.

Offline EppyKay

« Reply #624 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:16:37 »
Oh I'm picking up the DCS set also. I decided that early on, but once I saw that ergodox set, my wallet began to cry.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #625 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:21:16 »
walletcry.org is the unofficial domain name for geekhack.org

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #626 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:47:53 »

Godamn, so you want the traditional GMK amount here?

I don't know whether to applaud you or cry like a baby, 500 has always been tough to get for any key-set.  PLEASE say you are only joking with that moq requirement?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #627 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 02:54:20 »
DSA retro got to 420 (what a proud daddy I am!). No way this can hit 500 :) Just messing with you guys, worry not. The MOQ is 100 for base kit, 50 for modifiers. Everything else is in the 15-25 range.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #628 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 03:18:02 »
I would be in for both DCS and SA sets :D

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #629 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 05:54:11 »

Lastly this GB has some windowed keys and other extras which make it a bit more distinct, and you can get extra spacebars without committing to such a huge pack for 30$.

Where are you seing windowed keys? The last mockups on page 16 of this thread don't have any. Or am I blind?

Offline Alex528

« Reply #630 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 06:55:21 »
Can somebody help a noobie out and explain the difference between DCS and SA? I'm going to guess... Key cap profiles?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #631 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 07:20:18 »

Where are you seing windowed keys? The last mockups on page 16 of this thread don't have any. Or am I blind?

probably he refers to the PC caps.

Can somebody help a noobie out and explain the difference between DCS and SA? I'm going to guess... Key cap profiles?

DCS is the standard profile you find nowadays on most keyboards. SA is a tall spherical top profile widespread in the past.

Offline Alex528

« Reply #632 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 07:20:51 »

probably he refers to the PC caps.

DCS is the standard profile you find nowadays on most keyboards. SA is a tall spherical top profile widespread in the past.
This going to be able in both?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #633 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 07:23:16 »
DCS first. Later we will release the SA version as well.

Offline Alex528

« Reply #634 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 07:41:59 »
DCS first. Later we will release the SA version as well.
I've never had the pleasure of trying SA so I'll just stick with DCS. It's awesome that you're offering both, though.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #635 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 00:46:09 »
The set will go live next Monday (June 23)

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #636 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 00:52:24 »
It's happening!  :p

Offline GSimon

« Reply #637 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 00:52:36 »

My birthday! :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #638 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 00:55:45 »
happy b-day. what a better gift to yourself than a Midnight set?! :D

Offline GSimon

« Reply #639 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 00:58:34 »
happy b-day. what a better gift to yourself than a Midnight set?! :D

....2 midnight sets :D?! and thanks!

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #640 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 01:04:06 »

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #641 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 01:56:57 »
I only hope SP solved the issues they had with the last GB, otherwise it will be a nightmare  :'(
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #642 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 02:07:03 »
I only hope SP solved the issues they had with the last GB, otherwise it will be a nightmare  :'(

What issue was that?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #643 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 05:14:39 »
I guess you were not part of the Galaxy Class GB... Well they had a lot of problems with the checkout process, in my case I bought at first only the base set and the Battle Bridge child, I wanted to add later on also the Numpad and the Tsangan...well that did not work. I added the kits in my basket and there was no way to checkout, the error was Shipping Address 1 missing or not checked, only when I selected an item with shipping included from an other GB I managed to checkout, 4 minutes before the GB closed and only for Tsangan set :( . I have signaled the problem to SP 4 days before the GB closed with a lot of follow up e-mails and PM's and posts on the PMK forum, they were aware of the problem, but did not solve it in time. At least after the GB closed SP did a great thing and issued manual invoices to people who had the problem. This way I got also the Numpad Kit .
Also there were issues with the login, I had to reset my password 3 or 4 times...
SP needs to work on the site, also a big issue is mobile compatibility, that is close to none ...
PMK is a great concept, that enabled some cool GB's (SKULL Squadron, Granite, Vim, Galaxy Class), but it still lacking maturity and the bugs are only driving customers away :( 

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #644 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 07:14:20 »

Please re-educate me with what will be on offer here;  DCS profile will run first before the SA set (please let us know when exactly the SA profile will run)?

YES I am S-L-O-W when it comes to knowing how this Group Buy will run, not trying to cause any trouble here  :-[ .
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 June 2014, 07:15:51 by Elrick »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #645 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 07:56:33 »
DCS First.

I will work on the SA profile some more days and put it online when DCS tipped. Also, I don't want too many GBs at the same time on PMK, so I'll wait for the proper moment to push the SA version.

Offline Alex528

« Reply #646 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 08:49:38 »

Woo, I'm super excited.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #647 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 22:27:29 »
I guess you were not part of the Galaxy Class GB... Well they had a lot of problems with the checkout process, in my case I bought at first only the base set and the Battle Bridge child, I wanted to add later on also the Numpad and the Tsangan...well that did not work. I added the kits in my basket and there was no way to checkout, the error was Shipping Address 1 missing or not checked, only when I selected an item with shipping included from an other GB I managed to checkout, 4 minutes before the GB closed and only for Tsangan set :( . I have signaled the problem to SP 4 days before the GB closed with a lot of follow up e-mails and PM's and posts on the PMK forum, they were aware of the problem, but did not solve it in time. At least after the GB closed SP did a great thing and issued manual invoices to people who had the problem. This way I got also the Numpad Kit .
Also there were issues with the login, I had to reset my password 3 or 4 times...
SP needs to work on the site, also a big issue is mobile compatibility, that is close to none ...
PMK is a great concept, that enabled some cool GB's (SKULL Squadron, Granite, Vim, Galaxy Class), but it still lacking maturity and the bugs are only driving customers away :(

Damn.  Yeah that sucks. 

I didn't have any problems with my Granite order, but they definitely need to get the mobile compatibility worked out.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline GSimon

« Reply #648 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 22:34:36 »
I didn't have any problems with my Granite order, but they definitely need to get the mobile compatibility worked out.

Mobile site is pretty bad, virtually unusable. Could be the reason for the checkout problems also, that people are using a different browser like Firefox (chrome worked for me though)

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #649 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 04:28:19 »
I have tried all browsers IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IceWeasel you name it. The problem was caused by items that had no shipping fee included. If I added the may set that had shipping I could checkout. What I understood from SP is that they made some changes in order to solve some other issues and created a new one... I guess they postponed the launch of new GB's for almost 2 weeks in order to solve the problems. I know for sure of an other GB that is pending for more than a week.