Author Topic: Make a 2 key keyboard?  (Read 41306 times)

Offline WangZi

Re: Make a 2 key keyboard?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:14:30 »
The original idea for 2 keys was because i wanted it specifically for a game called osu, which consists of using 2 keys. I thought that there would be no point for more keys. I'm sure more keys could be a possibility for the future, but for now its only 2 keys.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:19:51 »
why not go crazy and make this bluetooth...

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:24:40 »
why not go crazy and make this bluetooth...
LOL
I think it's an awesome idea ...
It's a nice starting point for those willing to learn uC programming (IMHO).

Give me one or two hours. I do need to look at here to see if I do have one attiny ...
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:27:08 by agodinhost »
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:35:59 »
I have worked w/ Tiny's and V-USB before. USB D+ needs to be connected to PB2 (INT0), any other PB pin will do for D-. The HID Keys project is a good example on how to wire up the USB port (and run the Tiny at 3.6V, saves the Z-diodes.) V-USB works best w/ an external crystal oscillator, but it does contain some code trying to make do w/ the internal RC clock by "overclocking" it to 12.8 MHz. This may or may not work w/ the 85.

Quote from: usbdrvasm128.inc
General Description:
This file is the 12.8 MHz version of the USB driver. It is intended for use with the internal RC oscillator. Although 12.8 MHz is outside the guaranteed calibration range of the oscillator, almost all AVRs can reach this frequency. This version contains a phase locked loop in the receiver routine to cope with slight clock rate deviations of up to +/- 1%.

See usbdrv.h for a description of the entire driver.

LIMITATIONS
===========
Although it may seem very handy to save the crystal and use the internal RC oscillator of the CPU, this method (and this module) has some serious limitations:
(1) The guaranteed calibration range of the oscillator is only 8.1 MHz. They typical range is 14.5 MHz and most AVRs can actually reach this rate.
(2) Writing EEPROM and Flash may be unreliable (short data lifetime) since the write procedure is timed from the RC oscillator.
(3) End Of Packet detection (SE0) should be in bit 1, bit it is only checked if bits 0 and 1 both read as 0 on D- and D+ read as 0 in the middle. This may cause problems with old hubs which delay SE0 by up to one cycle.
(4) Code size is much larger than that of the other modules.

As for a bootloader, Tiny's don't support a bootsection, making a BL a major PITA. Atmel has some writeup on this topic,  Atmel AVR112: TWI Bootloader for Devices without Boot Section.

I own an AVR ISP mkII and have access to a jtag ICE mkII at work, so I can help w/ getting prototypes going. PM me if interested.

Edit: firmware wise it probably would be much easier to use a 90USB162 or Mega16U2...
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 January 2014, 00:56:35 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline regack

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 17:48:07 »

This thing would probably be a better candidate for bluetooth, since there's a bit more space...

50518-0

Also, here are some measurements...

50520-1

Edit: firmware wise it probably would be much easier to use a 90USN162 or Mega16U2...

I just went with the tiny because they're pretty much dirt cheap and I wanted to play with it.  It's also... tiny... but easy to hand solder.  Also... I didn't really expect a bunch of people to think it was a good idea, so it wasn't really well thought out or anything  :-[
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 January 2014, 18:05:35 by regack »

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 18:00:36 »
(and run the Tiny at 3.6V, saves the Z-diodes.)

Not. For > 8MHz the chip is best powered by 5V. For an example on how to hook up a Tiny45 scroll down on this page.

Edit: More info on the RC clock.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 January 2014, 18:05:54 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 19:11:36 »
here we go: I do have 2 attinys at here (not sure if they are 2, 4 or 8k - I`ll have to find my glasses to try to figure it out) and the RN-42 that I got to the GH60 BT project.

I'll post something up to Sunday - I do need to administrate my other projects at here (I should`nt be starting into another one - dammmm!)

EDIT: Take a look into this project. Almost all stuff that we need is already there!
I know, I'm a lazy bum.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 January 2014, 20:13:08 by agodinhost »
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline regack

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 21:04:21 »
here we go: I do have 2 attinys at here (not sure if they are 2, 4 or 8k - I`ll have to find my glasses to try to figure it out) and the RN-42 that I got to the GH60 BT project.

I'll post something up to Sunday - I do need to administrate my other projects at here (I should`nt be starting into another one - dammmm!)

EDIT: Take a look into this project. Almost all stuff that we need is already there!
I know, I'm a lazy bum.

That's neat.  How much battery do you need for bt?

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 21:10:00 »
Sounds like you need a binary keyboard

Way to be hardcore

Offline bcg

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 21:14:22 »
With this you don't even need a microcontroller if all you want to do is send a key combination (up to six keys + modifiers) on switch activation:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1535

If you want more control hasu's firmware has support for this module now... and I think it accepts the same commands as the RN-42 HID: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50183.msg1135574#msg1135574
:wq!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 21:15:59 »
this + tablet = perfect osu! combo

Yeah, to be honest, i think I'll map them to left and rightclick (both is middleclick)

about the techkeys card: biggest issue for me is no mounting holes.

Wow! I don't think I've seen a picture of a "luminous nonway transform assessment contrivance" before!

About the case: I plan to get an aluminium offcut (from somewhere), tap it, and screw in a standoff for the board. It'll give me weight, case, looks, etc.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 09:03:20 »
That "micronucleus" I linked to earlier is a very small usb bootloader for the attiny85. We can get Digi-key to load it on the chips when we order them. Then you can flash any program to them via the usb port.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline regack

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 09:30:35 »
That "micronucleus" I linked to earlier is a very small usb bootloader for the attiny85. We can get Digi-key to load it on the chips when we order them. Then you can flash any program to them via the usb port.

Ahh, that's how the digispark works.  I guess I should have done more reading.  Thanks Oobly.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 10:12:17 »
I *have* a two key keyboard.  I call it "a mouse".

It does other things too!
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline WangZi

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 10:54:34 »
Your missing the point of this. The concept was brought up originally for a game called osu, where you either use your mouse or a tablet to move the cursor while pressing circles with the keyboard.

Offline WangZi

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 11:26:30 »
For stability and not sliding off table i was thinking about attaching some rubber grip tape onto the bottom of the keyboard.
http://www.convertape.com/handrail-grip-50mm-695-p.asp

Offline sean4star

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 12:35:32 »
Fun little project!  I'd be in for a groupbuy.

Regarding hasu's firmware, I actually started off coding it for only 2 keys, just to make sure I was using the firmware properly and to test my wiring.  The benefit here is being able to code pretty much any macro you want, media keys, mouse keys, or whatever. 

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 13:02:51 »
As usual, I can whip up a layered case.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 13:08:46 »
Your missing the point of this. The concept was brought up originally for a game called osu, where you either use your mouse or a tablet to move the cursor while pressing circles with the keyboard.

Was a joke, but - you can use the mouse buttons in Osu.  If you work better with the keys that's understandable.  If you think it would interfere with your mouse motion, use two mice, one for clicking, one for motion.  Or mouse and tablet, same idea.

It's a somewhat interesting project idea, not the first time it's come up here.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 13:13:26 »

This would be awesome. Better than a 3D printed case, IMHO.

I've changed my mind, I want a few of these with all parts including case. :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 13:14:31 »

You sure you got time for this?

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 13:15:41 »

Yes, but will you have the time to ship it out?

That's the big question...

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 13:16:17 »

You sure you got time for this?

Glad to see we're on the same plain of thought :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 14:04:42 »
I said I can make a layered case, not supply it :P

I have time to work on my laptop and work on things, just not ship it out as I am not physical present in India.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 14:15:00 »

Man! you're revelaing all my secret plans!

I had wanted to combine this with one of those avago 9800 diy LASER sensors and then have a big reveal.

I have time to work on my laptop and work on things, just not ship it out as I am not physical present in India.
It's ok! there's lots of people that live near a lasercutter that might be able to help with a GB. Even if not, some people can just build or make one, as long as the design is there. So even just coming up with a design would be a huge help.

Offline Beelzebro

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 14:55:12 »
I'd be interested in getting one of these to sit just in front of my poker 2 below the space bar. I'd map the two keys to shift and ctrl so i can press them with my right thumb. Would be amazing in starcraft and also for word processing since those two keys are the most unergonomically placed keys imo.

Also it just looks like a fun project :)

Offline regack

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 19:14:10 »

It's ok! there's lots of people that live near a lasercutter that might be able to help with a GB. Even if not, some people can just build or make one, as long as the design is there. So even just coming up with a design would be a huge help.

We could ask here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53218.msg1186074#msg1186074

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 00:59:37 »
regack, do you have a PCB done?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 01:21:07 »
What a great idea!  Definitely in!  I saw Ray's "on/off" suggestion, and I'd actually like that functionality--if this thing is to come with some pre-built firmware.  Push a button to turn on the computer, press 2nd button to shut down (at least through Windows by executing shutdown.exe).  I can see the 2nd being easy, but the first might just need to be a BIOS option to turn on with a keyboard USB input?  For some reason that one's not working with my motherboard via USB--only able to turn on my computer by touching any key when a PS2 keyboard is plugged in.  I should check my power states...  I'd still have a "0" and "1" caps on it.

Regardless, I'm interested!!
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2014, 01:22:42 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 02:31:29 »

Man! you're revelaing all my secret plans!

A mouse with mechanical keyswitches?
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 09:49:17 »

All the mice I have dismantled have had Omron switches (or clones).

Didn't somebody here try to make a keyboard with mouse switches about a year ago?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Charger

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 09:57:09 »

Didn't somebody here try to make a keyboard with mouse switches about a year ago?
look up the Leetgion Hellion it uses a cherry mx blue but its not for the main mouse buttons its to replicate a keyboard key i think

anyways this seems like an interesting idea as long as you can get it all set up on a attiny(i have a few dip attinys but no smd) i may have to try making/buying one if there is a group buy.

Offline regack

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 11:42:58 »

I don't have them yet, but I did order a few.  Probably 2 weeks away before they arrive.  Are you just looking for this?

50707-0

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 12:06:31 »

I don't have them yet, but I did order a few.  Probably 2 weeks away before they arrive.  Are you just looking for this?

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, dimensions to make a possible case. Is that a 2.159mm radius hole for mounting? If yes, I would suggest a smaller 1.5mm or  1mm radius hole, as M2/M3 bolts/screws/standoffs are extremely easy to find and specially in the heights one would require in our scenario.

Offline regack

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 12:16:19 »

(Attachment Link)

Yeah, dimensions to make a possible case. Is that a 2.159mm radius hole for mounting? If yes, I would suggest a smaller 1.5mm or  1mm radius hole, as M2/M3 bolts/screws/standoffs are extremely easy to find and specially in the heights one would require in our scenario.

I enlarged it a bit after making some 3mm dia holes and then the M3 bolts I found didn't exactly want to go through some of the drill holes without... a lot of forcing and scraping around the inside.   Those were proto board though.  I can change the drill size down a bit for later boards, since that won't have any impact on anything.

I couldn't find M2 bolts locally (and didn't feel like waiting for an order to show up) those would have been nice :(

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 12:59:39 »

(Attachment Link)

I enlarged it a bit after making some 3mm dia holes and then the M3 bolts I found didn't exactly want to go through some of the drill holes without... a lot of forcing and scraping around the inside.   Those were proto board though.  I can change the drill size down a bit for later boards, since that won't have any impact on anything.

I couldn't find M2 bolts locally (and didn't feel like waiting for an order to show up) those would have been nice :(

Hmm, chinese seller son ebay FTW, but you have to wait. :(

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 14:13:19 »

That's what I mean. How weird/impractical would a mouse with mechanical switches be? It would be a cool thing to find out, no matter how impractical.

Also, where is that post? I'd love to look into it. I'd love to type on it, but that probably won't happen.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 14:25:52 »
You could use this as a power / reset combo for a PC as well, just don't need the controller and wire it up to the motherboard headers. Wire the in switch leds to power and hdd activity... MX is SPST NO so it should work fine.
Actually this is brilliant... I have Cherry doubleshot that say 'Reset' and a power icon...

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 17:42:15 »

That's what I mean. How weird/impractical would a mouse with mechanical switches be? It would be a cool thing to find out, no matter how impractical.

Also, where is that post? I'd love to look into it. I'd love to type on it, but that probably won't happen.
Not sure if there's another project, but this guy built up a low force keyboard out of microswitches.

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:28:15 »
Not sure if there's another project, but this guy built up a low force keyboard out of microswitches.

I remember seeing this a while back while searching on my own for fun. It's certainly interesting and at 20cN activation, it's incredibly light and I'd love to try to type on it.

Offline regack

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:33:21 »
51869-0

Too bad I forgot to order the parts to go with it... I have some of them, but no zener diodes or a proper valued c1 cap...

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:35:58 »
^gib plox wtf
I love Elzy

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:40:39 »
^gib plox wtf

Send a couple to Sifo, I will go grab them from him in person. These could be used in oh so many ways!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:42:33 »
I JUST NOTICED IT'S CALLED THE 1A KEYBOARD LMFAO
I love Elzy

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:42:51 »
regack makes ish happen. I want one :P

Offline Idontkno

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 19:07:59 »
Are you going to sell these any time soon? I'd like to get one just to find out what I can do with it :p, the Osu! idea sounds really nice.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 19:13:28 »
Are you going to sell these any time soon? I'd like to get one just to find out what I can do with it :p, the Osu! idea sounds really nice.

Obviously you go pick protoss and win a GSL
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 20:48:51 »
I didn't think anyone was actually going to do this! :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 20:56:33 »
I didn't think anyone was actually going to do this! :p

regack doesn't just talk the talk he walks the walk ;)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 01:52:55 »
(Attachment Link)

Too bad I forgot to order the parts to go with it... I have some of them, but no zener diodes or a proper valued c1 cap...

Amazingggggggggg  :thumb: Purple PCB FTW!