Author Topic: Much Dilemma. Very Indecise. Wow  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
Much Dilemma. Very Indecise. Wow
« on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 13:05:51 »
I really want a new TKL with either Cherry MX Clears or Greens or two boards with both.

Right now, WASD Keyboards is offering their v2 TKL boards with Greens. If I get the barebones version, I won't have to pay extra for the Greens :hehe: ($95)

So here's my dilemma: WASD is also offering their TKL CODE keyboards with Greens as well (coming out in late Feb), and they're shipping with red o-rings already installed free of charge ($165). Note that the extra $20 over the base price is for the Green switches.

Then, later in the year around April, they're gonna restock on TKL CODE's with Clears ($145).

I don't know if I should wait for the CODE Greens to come out because then I get LED backlighting as well as free red o-rings. But then I would be paying more for LED's and rings over a barebones kit* ($70 more). And since I really want Clears too, I'm gonna get the CODE in April for sure UNLESS I find a better keyboard with Clears (better being less expensive or better reputation).

So what would you do GH community and where can I find some other TKL's offering Greens and Clears?

*And the reason I kinda want LED's is because I have a rainbow PBT key cap set that would look really cool with some backlighting.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: Much Dilemma. Very Indecise. Wow
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 13:11:33 »
If I were buying a TKL with Greens today, I'd get WASD's barebones TKL. I've heard good things about the quality, and they really nail it with the price point because I'm going to put different caps on it anyways. I don't care about backlighting, though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 13:29:06 »
Tp4 step plan:

When indecisive. Eat top ramen.. Save bux... Buy-them-all....

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 13:36:46 »
Tp4 step plan:

When indecisive. Eat top ramen.. Save bux... Buy-them-all....

#tp4logic

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 13:47:47 »
If I were buying a TKL with Greens today, I'd get WASD's barebones TKL. I've heard good things about the quality, and they really nail it with the price point because I'm going to put different caps on it anyways. I don't care about backlighting, though.

You're right. It'd be better to save that extra $70 just on some backlights. Could use it to buy another TKL in the future, or some thick PBT dye-subs OHHHHH.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 16:40:57 »

You're right. It'd be better to save that extra $70 just on some backlights. Could use it to buy another TKL in the future, or some thick PBT dye-subs OHHHHH.

If you haven't already...join this GB!:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50935.0

Offline Guillairmo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 22:04:58 »
Just out of curiosity, how would a CODE, or any backlit board for that matter, look like with some thick PBT caps on them. For example, would the CODE's backlighting shine through any of the caps or just sort of fill in the cracks in between the keys.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 22:07:39 »
Depends on keycaps.  Light-toned thick PBT keycaps will let a fair amount of light through.  Dark toned thick PBT don't as much.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 03:03:50 »
Worst case you'll just get the LEDs reflecting off, and lighting, the plate.  That can look very cool :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ