Author Topic: old post  (Read 16882 times)

Offline Malphas

Re: Asking a girl out through a game?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 16:49:43 »
TP is right for once. It's awkward to say how it applies in these circumstances since you say you've known each other your whole lives, but generally a woman subconsciously decides if she'd consider you as a partner in a very short space of time. There's no real trick to it after that, all you have to do is not do something stupid. It's not insurmountable to get a woman who wouldn't consider going out with you to change her mind, but it takes persistence - which is a fine line between being obnoxious (which is OK, despite what white knights think) and creepy (which is not). In any case at 15 you're probably not going to have the confidence and experience to pull that off.

In summary, making some grand gesture like this video game idea might work, which is fine (until you break up later, and think about what a waste of time it was), or it might scare her off, or she might turn you down for other reasons and you've wasted your time and put yourself out on an emotional limb. If you do something more casual then it's just as likely (probably moreso) to be accepted than the video game idea, but if it doesn't then you can play it off and maintain the friendship without feeling awkward and won't feel like you wasted your time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2014, 12:02:36 by Malphas »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:21:59 »
I totally agree with the book loan idea.

RP1 may not be the best choice since it is a nostalgia trip for people just hitting middle age now (!) (and I have not recommended it to my kids (highly intelligent and literate girl 16 and boy 14) for various reasons).

Recommending and/or lending a book that you find interesting (you do read books, don't you?) is a neutral icebreaker that indicates (most importantly) that you are interested in her mind and her opinions.

Send me a private message if you want, and I will give you what I would consider to be good possibilities, probably ones that can be checked out of the public library for even more "neutrality"
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Comment

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:59:18 »
Dude. Ask her out in person with sweet words, save all the cute and personal ideas for after youre together!!
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline tbc

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 22:52:15 »
when you're 15, she'll already either like you right away or you'll have to fake all the personality until she's convinced herself that she likes you (ususally after already going out for month+).  there's not much to it; people are very very self-conscious about what others think of them (and their boyfriend), so they'll just pick someone who is acceptable (so act acceptable)

so basically, fake it till you make it. find out if she prefers the guy being direct (me + you + now) or clever (i like a girl...that is also you)

for the love of god, don't make a videogame; that's ridiculous.

last but not least, go to the gym.  you're not going to turn into arnold anytime soon; don't worry.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 23:38:55 »
when you're 15, she'll already either like you right away or you'll have to fake all the personality until she's convinced herself that she likes you (ususally after already going out for month+).  there's not much to it; people are very very self-conscious about what others think of them (and their boyfriend), so they'll just pick someone who is acceptable (so act acceptable)

so basically, fake it till you make it. find out if she prefers the guy being direct (me + you + now) or clever (i like a girl...that is also you)

last but not least, go to the gym.  you're not going to turn into arnold anytime soon; don't worry.

gym at 15 is useless...  you'll get 0 growth for your efforts.

Offline iri

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 02:00:44 »

for the first time in a couple centuries, tp4 is right.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tbc

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 03:13:07 »
if you actually train properly and can't grow muscle mass by the time you're 15.  you have a rather serious deficiency of some sort and ACTUALLY need  to go see a doctor.  I'm not trying to brag or anything; it's a sign of a potentially serious problem.  seriously.  get a doctor to run some tests looking for low-testosterone (at the very least).  it's not going to kill you right away, but it's still important to your long-term health.

if you can't get stronger, then i imagine that's some sort of nervous system related issue.  honestly never heard of someone not getting stronger after going to the gym though (not talking about plateaus, those are perfectly normal)

EDIT:

you two are both guys right? I'm just talking about guys; don't have a clue about average female athletic potential through puberty.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 February 2014, 03:19:40 by tbc »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 05:20:43 »
I like reading some of the so-called recommendations here for catching a 'girlfriend' (actual meaning - sexual partner), makes me want to be young again.

First off you have to be confident in what you're doing.  Women can smell a desperate wannabe a mile away, hence don't be running after her.

Second, specialize in something that gets you noticed by her (some skill that puts you ahead of any other male competition, within the near area).  I won't elaborate because I don't know what your skill set is and I won't waste time recommending anything to you (you should know by now what's your standout abilities).

Women don't like to be chased, trust me they don't especially now.  But they're very curious to find out all there is about you from their friends and acquaintances.  If you have already built up a rep for being decent, helping out and what not - that seems to be the killer attractant for most women.  If you are masculine with a bit of muscle that helps to cement a direct link into her crotch before long.  Women hate weedy looking men that are afraid to voice their opinions (hence no problem here for you on Geekhack).

Just don't mince words and make excuses for anything, they really hate that.  All they want is to usually forget about any previous bad relationships with losers in their past and of course always making comparisons to their "father".  Funny how many times I've been with a girl they always seems to go on about her Dad when you're f--king her  ::) .

Just my short two-cents worth of useless recommendations whilst being here in Perth, WA.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 February 2014, 05:24:22 by Elrick »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 05:47:19 »
Elrick had it easy,  he just wrestled a crocodile and wore a hat with corks on and BAM had a wife :))
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 05:52:44 »
Elrick had it easy,  he just wrestled a crocodile and wore a hat with corks on and BAM had a wife :))
So does this mean that the OP should go wrestle a crocodile?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 05:56:56 »

I lived most of my life down south far away from any crocs, but some women get turned on when you kill a croc for them, up north near Darwin.  Go figure, if that's what's required to nab women every day of the week - I would of gone croc hunting everyday when I was in my teenage years  :thumb: .

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 06:02:08 »

I lived most of my life down south far away from any crocs, but some women get turned on when you kill a croc for them, up north near Darwin.  Go figure, if that's what's required to nab women every day of the week - I would of gone croc hunting everyday when I was in my teenage years  :thumb: .
I don't think my local zoo would be too happy if I went and wrestled one of their croc's for the affection of a women.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 06:03:24 »
I think the closest I've been  too hunting (apart from birds) was the time I shot a sheep with an air rifle (it walked behind my target and I'm not a great shot).

I held a crocodile once it felt kinda cool, crocodile skin keyboard anyone? ;)

Anyway I'm just going to get iri to set me up with one of those Russians Brides you hear about.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 06:04:47 »
I think the closest I've been  too hunting (apart from birds) was the time I shot a sheep with an air rifle (it walked behind my target and I'm not a great shot).

Anyway I'm just going to get iri to set me up with one of those Russians Brides you hear about.
This thread went from asking a girl out to talking about hunting and crocodiles. Amazing

Offline iri

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 06:25:11 »
if you actually train properly and can't grow muscle mass by the time you're 15.  you have a rather serious deficiency of some sort and ACTUALLY need  to go see a doctor.  I'm not trying to brag or anything; it's a sign of a potentially serious problem.  seriously.  get a doctor to run some tests looking for low-testosterone (at the very least).  it's not going to kill you right away, but it's still important to your long-term health.

if you can't get stronger, then i imagine that's some sort of nervous system related issue.  honestly never heard of someone not getting stronger after going to the gym though (not talking about plateaus, those are perfectly normal)

EDIT:

you two are both guys right? I'm just talking about guys; don't have a clue about average female athletic potential through puberty.
you don't seem to have a clue about male teenagers' muscle growth either.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 06:29:26 »

Crocodile skin wrist wrest!
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 February 2014, 06:59:03 by SpAmRaY »

Offline iri

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 06:36:22 »
only if you kill a saltwater croc for me.

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2014, 01:56:18 by iri »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 07:04:14 »

Show Image

Make it a 4 meter (13.1 feet) male, they should be fun especially around November to March.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 13:23:06 »

Show Image

Make it a 4 meter (13.1 feet) male, they should be fun especially around November to March.

Only bare hands allowed during the kill too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 14:51:53 »

Show Image

Only bare hands allowed during the kill too.

go fur the eyes.  and it doesn't look like it can turn that well

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 15:06:41 »
An exception can be made for bear hands though:

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 15:10:00 »
So we're both 15 and we've known eachother our whole lives. A few months ago I started liking her! :D
So I wanted to do something special for asking her out, so I was thinking of doing this: I would make a sidescroller game in unity and in each level it would go something like: KoKi thinks you are really funny or KoKi thinks you are beatiful or KoKi really likes you, and at the end it would say: Would you go out with me?
She isn't really a gamer, but she likes to play a browser game from time to time.
Would this be a good way to ask her out?
Sorry for bad english, it isn't my 1st language. :)

So what are you gonna do, buddy?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 22:50:24 »
That sounds more like something you would do to propose, not ask someone out lol
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:02:48 »
That sounds more like something you would do to propose, not ask someone out lol

Can't you tell yet, we're talking about FIRST timers here  :thumb: .  So glad to see virgins hitting it off (hopefully soon in their case).  When it's your very first, everything is perfect and so much to look forward to  ;D .

Trust me, it won't be the last time if you're serious about enjoying the lusciousness of women.  She will only be the first in a very long line of excitement and discovery as you get older and more experienced.  That is what life is all about for us men, so please enjoy it and don't seal yourself up in a computer room and watch the years drift by for nothing.  You will never get back your youth if you waste it now.

Go out there and procreate with every living female you come across.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:07:07 »

Can't you tell yet, we're talking about FIRST timers here  :thumb: .  So glad to see virgins hitting it off (hopefully soon in their case).  When it's your very first, everything is perfect and so much to look forward to  ;D .

Trust me, it won't be the last time if you're serious about enjoying the lusciousness of women.  She will only be the first in a very long line of excitement and discovery as you get older and more experienced.  That is what life is all about for us men, so please enjoy it and don't seal yourself up in a computer room and watch the years drift by for nothing.  You will never get back your youth if you waste it now.

not gonna lie I threw up a whole bunch.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Comment

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 00:01:10 »

Genghis Khan style!! But really, use protection, or else you lose all your youth to raising mini kahn..  :eek:
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 00:15:50 »

[/spoiler]
Genghis Khan style!! But really, use protection, or else you lose all your youth to raising mini kahn..  :eek:

**** just got real.

Offline tbc

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 00:33:09 »

EDIT:

you don't seem to have a clue about male teenagers' muscle growth either.

i dunno, I've seen some pretty ridiculous results.  about 15 lbs of muscle mass isn't unheard of at all (not necessarily common, but still happening - just based on wrestling team alone).  highschool is a great time to grow since you have a 'surplus' of hormones (including HGH) and a rather voracious appetite to maintain a high baseline 'calorie intake.'  people say it's a good time to start with supplements, but creatine imo doesn't really need to be tied to age (just progress and experience) and I'm not sure of anyone who doesn't get more than enough protein already.

you know that i'm not talking about bodybuilders right?  did you spend alot of time with people who trained at the gym? 4-5 days a week + PROPER training + proper diet = alot of results. 

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 01:11:31 »
So we're both 15 and we've known eachother our whole lives. A few months ago I started liking her! :D
So I wanted to do something special for asking her out, so I was thinking of doing this: I would make a sidescroller game in unity and in each level it would go something like: KoKi thinks you are really funny or KoKi thinks you are beatiful or KoKi really likes you, and at the end it would say: Would you go out with me?
She isn't really a gamer, but she likes to play a browser game from time to time.

Nope.

You are 15 and can read English. Great.

You need to get the following books, by all means necessary:
- "The Game" by Neil Strauss (2005)
- "The Mystery Method" by Mystery (2007)
- "Revelation" by Mystery (2008)

Maybe start by reading the first one to reboot yourself. It's a long book, but it's easy to read and once you start you want to read it all.

You will learn how it works. You will learn sociodynamics. You will learn that it is easier to speak to a GROUP of nice women you have never meet before than to a woman alone (I have incredible memories of practicing this in a mall - it was like discovering a parallel universe). You will learn what to say (not line by line, but you will understand how to manage the discussion).

You will learn that she wants you to invite her in YOUR universe (and it has to be worth it), and that she does not need that you comply with her universe.

There are so many things you will learn that I can't even start to list them all.

You will never learn them anywhere else, or it will take you a lifetime of bad experiences to learn them. And it will be too late by then.

Most importantly, you will understand women better. It's true that these books show you a number of "tricks" but these are things that come logically and naturally from understanding women. You will enjoy being with them because you will not be clueless, they will enjoy being with you because they will feel that you can really connect with them.

And one important advice: never EVER take fiction as an example of how to behave with women. Don't do what you see in movies and TV shows. Ignore what you see there, it's utter bull****, especially romantic comedies. It's fiction. It has been written to be pretty and interesting, it's not how it works in real life.

Oh and two other advices while I'm at it:
- Don't try to be just yourself. You need to be your best self and work hard on this. You can't just be yourself, it does not work.
- Don't even try to be confident. You can't. Only success will give you confidence, it's not the other way around. To get success you will need some advices from these books, and you will need practice.
(these last advices come from Neil Strauss himself)

Good luck.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 02:13:44 »

Nope.

You are 15 and can read English. Great.

You need to get the following books, by all means necessary:
- "The Game" by Neil Strauss (2005)
- "The Mystery Method" by Mystery (2007)
- "Revelation" by Mystery (2008)

Maybe start by reading the first one to reboot yourself. It's a long book, but it's easy to read and once you start you want to read it all.

You will learn how it works. You will learn sociodynamics. You will learn that it is easier to speak to a GROUP of nice women you have never meet before than to a woman alone (I have incredible memories of practicing this in a mall - it was like discovering a parallel universe). You will learn what to say (not line by line, but you will understand how to manage the discussion).

You will learn that she wants you to invite her in YOUR universe (and it has to be worth it), and that she does not need that you comply with her universe.

There are so many things you will learn that I can't even start to list them all.

You will never learn them anywhere else, or it will take you a lifetime of bad experiences to learn them. And it will be too late by then.

Most importantly, you will understand women better. It's true that these books show you a number of "tricks" but these are things that come logically and naturally from understanding women. You will enjoy being with them because you will not be clueless, they will enjoy being with you because they will feel that you can really connect with them.

And one important advice: never EVER take fiction as an example of how to behave with women. Don't do what you see in movies and TV shows. Ignore what you see there, it's utter bull****, especially romantic comedies. It's fiction. It has been written to be pretty and interesting, it's not how it works in real life.

Oh and two other advices while I'm at it:
- Don't try to be just yourself. You need to be your best self and work hard on this. You can't just be yourself, it does not work.
- Don't even try to be confident. You can't. Only success will give you confidence, it's not the other way around. To get success you will need some advices from these books, and you will need practice.
(these last advices come from Neil Strauss himself)

Good luck.

OR
he could just ask her out.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 03:19:45 »
Just don't tell her about your keyboard collection...  Or even mention geekhack and your username in case she finds this thread...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 05:03:03 »
Genghis Khan style!! But really, use protection, or else you lose all your youth to raising mini kahn..  :o

ALWAYS wear protection out there.  No matter what you poke, split in half or rip apart you have to always go Durex, Trojan, Vivid or whatever.  Never go on a rampage buck naked, always wear your jimmy  :thumb: .

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 06:51:35 »

I think that Australian heatwave is messing with your thinking.  Keyboards are more important than women.  Consider this:

Every minute of the day, a few more females reach the legal of age of consent.  But for certain keyboards, like the IBM Model F 122 key or the Ergodox, they may never be reproduced again.  There is a limited amount and the number is only getting fewer.  Keyboards serve the very important task of conveying your thoughts, ideas, creations, and emotions to the world.  If you treat these keyboards well, they will respond well.  If you love them, you do not run the risk of them not loving you back and you going home alone and broken-hearted.  Your keyboards will always be there, waiting for you at home, ready to be gently and tenderly used as you work together to produce a great work of art.

Keyboards can offer you a lifetime of pleasurable typing and creation.  Girls?  The pleasure will come and go, with a whole lot of heartache, and no guarantee of love.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:11:00 »

not gonna lie I threw up a whole bunch.

Ditto.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:17:44 »
Genghis Khan style!! But really, use protection, or else you lose all your youth to raising mini kahn..  :o

ALWAYS wear protection out there.  No matter what you poke, split in half or rip apart you have to always go Durex, Trojan, Vivid or whatever.  Never go on a rampage buck naked, always wear your jimmy  :thumb: .

in other words, always be prepared, but dont be afraid to run away either

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 07:27:34 »
Hahahahahha that gif!!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:13:17 »
I feel like this thread has turned into life advice

yeah, it feels bizarre. Geeks have girlfriends? Hey mate, go to a dating website for that info. I really don't think you should be asking geeks for girlfriend advice, unless your girlfriend is a geek also
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 11:45:57 »

yeah, it feels bizarre. Geeks have girlfriends? Hey mate, go to a dating website for that info. I really don't think you should be asking geeks for girlfriend advice, unless your girlfriend is a geek also

no such thing as a TRUE female geek..

The majority of women are incapable of high-level Geekitude..

The reason is, they are hardwired to have children... and that seriously gets in the way of keyboard collecting.... or any other forms of  inane devotion to a purposeless cause.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 11:48:02 »

The reason is, they are hardwired to have children... and that seriously gets in the way of keyboard collecting.... or any other forms of  inane devotion to a purposeless cause.

Show Image

I'm really not sure if you are  serious or not. I hope not.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 12:01:47 »

Show Image

I am totally serious.....

Why is it that typically men go much further in the professional field....

Because on average it's the women raising kids and producing them..

Look at it this way in terms of "time costs"...

having children is 1 year of low productivity straight up (morning sickness, emotional swings).

+ recovery time, another year

+ raising the baby, sleepless nights, another 1 to 1.5 years.

+ monitoring and soccer practice for another 18 years before college..  another 5-8 years in total time spent on the kids...

So that 7 to 11 YEARS of time-cost from the female's age starting when she's 25-35.. which happens to be the MOST productive and physically fit time of that female's lifespan..

what is she going to do, come back at 40 and thrive in the workplace?  seriously?

Tell me that 7 to 11 years does not impact devotion to a career..

Why do so many women drop out of their career path after taking maternity leave...

Given the complexity and greater focus required of today's professional workforce..  women are ill-suited, because they are the primary population tasked with the biology to procreate and take care of children..

That's not to say they couldn't choose to not have babies, or couldn't be truly exceptional in focus, and possibly do the baby and the job equally well...

HOWEVER, that is the exception..

The majority of women will not be able to do that..

This relates to Geekitude in a similar way... women will not put so much pointless time (like men) into some dumb hobby unrelated to the well-being of their offspring...

They just wouldn't...

There are ones who do... I suppose... but let's not discuss that, because you can't do so without alot of name calling and depressing apologies in term choice.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 12:07:42 »

I started messing around with dumbells at around that age and grew like 50lbs in a year, from like 140lbs to nearly 200lbs. I'm pretty sure the weights didn't hurt since I don't train at all now and my natural weight is around 180lbs.

Offline DevAndy

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 12:10:12 »
Too cheesy tbh, but do it if it fits your personality (and hers).

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 13:00:36 »

Show Image

having children is 1 year of low productivity straight up (morning sickness, emotional swings).

+ monitoring and soccer practice for another 18 years before college..  another 5-8 years in total time spent on the kids...

So that 7 to 11 YEARS of time-cost from the female's age starting when she's 25-35.. which happens to be the MOST productive and physically fit time of that female's lifespan..

what is she going to do, come back at 40 and thrive in the workplace?  seriously?

Why do so many women drop out of their career path after taking maternity leave...

Given the complexity and greater focus required of today's professional workforce..  women are ill-suited, because they are the primary population tasked with the biology to procreate and take care of children..

That's not to say they couldn't choose to not have babies, or couldn't be truly exceptional in focus, and possibly do the baby and the job equally well...

This relates to Geekitude in a similar way... women will not put so much pointless time (like men) into some dumb hobby unrelated to the well-being of their offspring...

They just wouldn't...

There are ones who do... I suppose... but let's not discuss that, because you can't do so without alot of name calling and depressing apologies in term choice.

lol.

From this we know that tp4 knows absolutely nothing about women.

So much ignorance here, I can't even comment.  I have given up on tp4.  He is utterly beyond help.

@ OP:  If you are 15 and you have a crush on a girl of 15, you should do what all 15 y.o.'s do and have your friend tell her that you like her and want to go out with her.  You do not need the psychological manipulation gimmicks of Neil Strauss and "Mystery"  (a grown man who calls himself "Mystery", and you follow his advice?).  If you have any redeeming personality qualities, please be yourself.  If you have no redeeming qualities, or are a pervert, lech, weirdo, or otherwise empty shell of a person, then you must pretend to be something else.  However, you seem to have something interesting going on, since you want to do something creative like make a video game for your sweetheart.  This feeling is misplaced, as she will not appreciate, nor understand, the time and effort it will take to make such a game.  I would appreciate it, but I'm a man who is over 40. 

In the end you have to remember that you and this girl are only 15 years old, and although it seems incredibly important right now, this relationship, if it ever happens, is probably not going to be the love of your life.  Also, please keep in mind that 15 year old girls are incredibly fickle, they are the very epitome of caprice, in fact there is nothing more mercurial in the entire universe than the emotions of a 15 year old girl.  Women get a little bit better as they get older in terms of emotional changeability, but actually not that much. 

"La donna e mobile" was as true in 1850 when Giuseppe Verdi wrote Rigoletto, as it is today:   

~ from near the beginning of Act 3, Rigoletto:

La donna è mobile
Qual piuma al vento,
Muta d'accento — e di pensiero.
Sempre un amabile,
Leggiadro viso,
In pianto o in riso, — è menzognero.
È sempre misero
Chi a lei s'affida,
Chi le confida — mal cauto il cuore!
Pur mai non sentesi
Felice appieno
Chi su quel seno — non liba amore!

If you are from 'Murica and don't care to know nuttin' 'bout opera (or music, or women, or life), like tp4, here is the gist of it:

Woman is flighty
Like a feather in the wind,
She changes her voice — and her mind.

Anyway, OP, you have to grow some testicles, and tell her you like her, or have a friend do it, and wait for either rejection or exaltation.  You just have to realize that either way, you will be better off than you are now.  CAVEAT:  If you have your friend tell her, please remember the cautionary tale of John Alden, Priscilla Mullins and Capt. John Standish.  I grew up hearing this story, but I dunno if you ever heard it in central Europe.  Anyway, here is the short version of the story:   After crossing the Atlantic Ocean on the Mayflower together, Capt. Standish had a crush on Priscilla, and he asked his best friend, John Alden to fix him up with her.  Next thing 'ol Capt. Standish knew, John was married to Priscilla.  So, be careful who you use as an intermediary, I guess is the lesson.

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 15:03:07 »
Great reply by "ethos" there.  Although I think 15 might be beyond the stage of asking girls out via a friend.   It's good to get in the habit of asking her out face-to-face rather than channeling through 3rd parties.  And I always recommend not even asking, but make sure she is cool with it and do not force her to do anything.    Just say, "We should go to the movies this weekend.  You can ride my bike pegs to the theater" or whatever teenagers in Slovenia do these days.

If things do not work as you hoped, rejection can sting for a bit, but the more it happens, the more you realize that the Sun will still rise tomorrow, you will still be an interesting person, you still have plenty of cool things to do and be happy about.One girl is not the end all, be all of things. 

And ethos, with that vocabulary and sense of humor, it's time to start writing some stories.

Offline sprk

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 19:04:58 »
Women respond to to following things in the following order as long as you're not atrociously bad looking:
1) Confidence
2) Attractiveness
3) Popularity/Approva-bility (depending on age, teens want popular, adults want their friends to approve of their mate)
4) Buying Power

These all relate to the basic female want of good genes to make babies with.

My advice: Talk to girls. Lots of them. Specially the kind that you don't know. Then try to talk to groups of girls. Try to learn to command their attention. Ask a few out. Get rejected a couple of dozen times. Get one or two dates. Learn from them. At this point you should be able to act confident enough to ask the girl you actually want out with a high probability of success. Clean up nicely. Dress like you own the club/lead the pack/own the most keyboards, but not like a jobless ex magician wannabe (ala Mystery). Make sure you look 'good', regardless of your actual physical appearance. Make sure you seem like the type of guy her female friends would approve of. Don't show off money, but leave nice tips/loan a friend a fifty/treat the entire group to smoothies in her presence so she knows you're not penniless. Once you're a good catch in her eyes, she has no reason to say no to a date, unless she's either taken or you're hideous.

Regardless of success of this endeavor,  once you've accomplished all this - and trust me it's not hard at all - women will start to say yes to you a whole lot and the entire thing becomes part of your persona. Once that happens you won't bother with all the buildup. Women you already know, you'll notice when they're interested and will just require a goodbye kiss to seal the deal. Women you don't know you'll just approach, introduce yourself, and tell at what time you'll be picking her up.

Want more specific advice? Say this: "Hey Miley, I'm in the mood for a milshake. Lets meet in the mall's courtyard say, 3pm. Great, it's a date." Then proceed to get laid.

Offline iri

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 03:13:23 »

I started messing around with dumbells at around that age and grew like 50lbs in a year, from like 140lbs to nearly 200lbs. I'm pretty sure the weights didn't hurt since I don't train at all now and my natural weight is around 180lbs.
most teenagers have fast metabolism, which makes in almost impossible to grow muscles :(

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 03:17:54 »
I'm a man who is over 40. 
wrong, you are 18/f/my area.

If you are from 'Murica
well, his location says "slovenia" and his avatar is the slovenian flag, so i guess he is not.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 03:46:54 »
I'm a man who is over 40. 
wrong, you are 18/f/my area.

If you are from 'Murica
well, his location says "slovenia" and his avatar is the slovenian flag, so i guess he is not.

I'm going to go with Slovenia opera then.
Women love subsidized vowels.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 08:23:34 »

Offline domesticbark

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 09:10:42 »

Show Image

They just wouldn't...

O.O Holy **** you have no idea what it's like. First of all, the reason you don't see women in advancing in professional fields is because of people like you. Women, for whatever reason, are treated differently. I'm not saying they get paid less (although sometimes they do get lower starting salaries), but that there's an inherent gender bias that going to discourage them. Take the hard sciences as an example, specifically my field, physics. There aren't many women in physics: http://www.aps.org/programs/education/statistics/womenphysics.cfm. Why? Well part of it is that we're never really told it's something we can do. There are tons of women in biology. In fact, I think the field is almost dominated with women at this point, but biology isn't so taboo anymore. You're encouraged to go into biology and pursue med school/become a nurse/whatever you want to do. There are women already there, so you aren't going to get the weird looks or people acting differently around you because you're a different gender. It's much easier to stay in a field where you feel people can related to you.

But physics? The first thing that happened when I said I wanted to go into physics was: why would you want to do that? I got discouraged from the get go. Of course, I'm the type of person who doesn't care what people say, especially if all their life amounted to was being a high school counselor (yes, I was kind of an ass, but to some degree I'm glad I held that view). But other women? If there's someone there saying you can't do this or judging you for why you want to do something, you're going to think it's wrong to do so. Especially so when you're in high school and have no idea how the world really works. So women don't bother applying. My university has something like a 1:9 ratio of people entering physics/physics related (astrophysics is basically a physics degree), and in the upper classes it gets even worse. Why? Because women leave. You'd think the idea of getting easy scholarships would be enticing, but it isn't when you're being treated differently. And it's not just college you're treated differently, it's through the rest of your career: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/unofficial-prognosis/2012/09/23/study-shows-gender-bias-in-science-is-real-heres-why-it-matters/. I will always have to try that much harder to get people to respect me because I'm a woman in a minority field. I'm just glad I'm smart enough that I don't struggle with it. I've seen so many women leave because they couldn't quite get it and it just wasn't worth it to them to stay. And most of the women I know are actually in astrophysics. I don't know the stats on it, but from my experience, there's certainly less women is something like condensed matter. I think that's because there are astronomy clubs in high school telling women it's okay to be interested in this stuff.

Everything I've said about physics can be applied to engineering to a less severe extent. The point is, this happens before baby making age. Yea, some women leave their careers, but there are still a lot who stay, and those are the ones who are determined to do so. They are the ones who have the passion, so there shouldn't be any reason these few women don't get far in their career. But as you said, they don't. Some of that is due to the fact that there is this gender bias. There have been tons of studies done that show under all things being equal, a man will more likely get promoted over a woman, even if a woman is the one doing the promotion! Women are really at fault here too. For whatever reason, our entire society likes to judge women harsher than men. And this stuff begins in high school with the way promiscuous women are called sluts and promiscuous men are applauded. Even I was guilty of slut shaming when I was in high school. There was a girl we use to call the cum dumpster. And thinking back, this girl had a serious problem. She needed attention to the point where she was willing to change her self to a great degree. She probably had a ****ty home life. But I never gave her the benefit of the doubt.

Point being, it's not because women are "wired" to have kids that we don't succeed. It's because there are more people like you telling us our dreams are wrong, that we have an accepted place in society and any deviation from it we get alienated. Men have to take care of a baby too. Sure, they don't get a long leave like women do (but honestly I think they should. Taking care of a baby is hard work and it's unfair that a father doesn't get to spend as much time with his kid and build a strong connection early on), but they're still responsible for the well being of the kid. Oh, and I forgot about all the other mothers judging you for going back to your career and not staying home and taking care of your kid. You'll get **** for that too. I don't think men really judge us here, although I wouldn't know as I haven't had a kid. But yea, all in all the reason women don't go far is because at every point in our life past graduation of high school is because the views in society tell us we shouldn't. But up until high school graduation it's all about women, so much so that I young boys' get treated unfairly and their needs ignored. That **** needs serious reform too. There's a reason there aren't as many male middle school teachers and it's complete bull****. Anyway, society has a lot of bull**** going on. If you want women to succeed, encouraging us past high school and trying to objectively view us as equals when you're in a position to give a promotion will do way more than any scholarship can.  I wish I had a solution for more men to be able to teach middle school with out the risk of getting fired over some idiot child who wants to claim sexual assault because you gave him/her a bad grade on a test. I feel that would help young boys have someone to connect to. But, you know, all men must be child rapists and women can't ever be.  :rolleyes:

I'm not that articulate so I'm sorry for the ****ty flow of writing. I know this probably didn't change your opinion since it sounds like you have a serious problem with women. But maybe someone reading who thought you were right might change their view, and that's all I can really hope for.