Author Topic: Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type  (Read 32005 times)

Offline mauri

Re: Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 10:06:33 »
ENTJ, not what I expected :o
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline iri

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 10:30:44 »
Too poor for that income level?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 11:33:58 »

Offline mauri

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 12:06:03 »

Or dumb, or unambitious, or all of the above.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2014, 12:10:15 by mauri »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 12:19:16 »
Though, to be honest, I don't put as much stock in these things at all. They may be fine for non self-actualizing people, but for a self-actualizing individual, there really is no personality type. It's just their own, self-made one.

Freshman year in college we had some welcome to college adjustment class. Part of the class was a couple weeks figuring out this Myer Briggs test thing. I failed the class since I laughed at the teacher and ignored the ****.

I think Lonely Island said it best: I ain't gonna be part of your system so I threw it on the ground!

I totally agree with dorkvader. You are who you make yourself to be. Improve yourself. Don't let some bogus test put you in a box. I fit in this catagory: Badass [100%]

Yes, I also agree with you guys. These kind of things are simplistic BS obviously.

Offline dante

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 13:00:05 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2014, 13:44:36 by dante »

Offline iri

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 14:01:06 »

oh, i thought you were italian.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 14:53:23 »
INFJ is the exclusive one

Offline mauri

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 16:12:54 »

oh, i thought you were italian.

To you babe, I can be italian just this once.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 22:31:03 »
INFJ is the exclusive one
there are a couple that are much less common.

MBTI isn't a horoscope. Actually, it appears to correspond quite well to patterns in brain activity. That's where the interesting part happens anyway.
I agree that it's very useful for understanding a vast majority of people. That said, most people are not self-actualizing (aristotole would not consider them "people" at all). the test starts to break down for some people. (level 4-5 on positive disintegration, or an otherwise self-actualizing individual). Unfortunately such people are so uncommon, it's hard to find enough to study.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 07:52:10 »
I find this interesting... much in the way tarot is interesting. It can be amazingly accurate in a broad and general sense... and at the same time utter bull****. In a broad general way, I mostly agree with the personality traits of my type and how they shape behavior patterns I tend to express in my life. But at the same time it's nonsensical to put a lot stock in such things and let it define you.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 08:42:31 »
Another INTJ here.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:26:08 »
INTJ here as well.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:31:17 »
I just retook this test, with a substantial change in result:

INTP
Introvert(78%)  iNtuitive(12%)  Thinking(1%)  Perceiving(11%)
You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (12%)
You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (11%)

Maybe it's time to change my avatar...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:40:18 »
Well, that's because those tests suck. I usually test as INTJ, although it has nothing to do with reality—I'm a walking INTP stereotype (described here and there).

...or maybe it's because there's one significant flaw in MBTI, it cuts the curve in the middle, despite the fact that population is best described by something closer to the bell curve, not camel bumps (explanation).

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:41:58 »
Or a personality change brought on by a significant life event?

Or maybe it's because I quit smoking the wacky...

And it's for that latter reason that I feel this latest result is more accurate.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:44:16 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline mauri

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:48:34 »
Well, that's because those tests suck. I usually test as INTJ, although it has nothing to do with reality—I'm a walking INTP stereotype (described here and there).

...or maybe it's because there's one significant flaw in MBTI, it cuts the curve in the middle, despite the fact that population is best described by something closer to the bell curve, not camel bumps (explanation).

YOU CANT COMPARTMENTALIZE ME!!! I AM AN UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE!!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:51:07 »

*a unique

"an" doesn't need to go in front of every vowel, just the ones that sound like vowels...
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:55:16 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:55:49 »
Is it true some employers actually use this system to see if you are a good corporate fit? Seems an arbitrary thing to base that off of. I see some people include their MB score on their resumes too? Is it better to give them a generalized impression of what you might act like, or simply let them draw their own conclusions upon meeting you?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 15:04:13 »
Is it true some employers actually use this system to see if you are a good corporate fit? Seems an arbitrary thing to base that off of. I see some people include their MB score on their resumes too? Is it better to give them a generalized impression of what you might act like, or simply let them draw their own conclusions upon meeting you?

I've never heard of this.  Seems a little goofy.  I'd prefer to base initial screening off of qualifications and then base further screening on interview impressions.  But that's just me, and I am neither an employer nor a corporation, so my opinion doesn't mean much here.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 15:06:19 »

I've never heard of this.  Seems a little goofy.  I'd prefer to base initial screening off of qualifications and then base further screening on interview impressions.  But that's just me, and I am neither an employer nor a corporation, so my opinion doesn't mean much here.

Actually, I think my company does this. I don't agree with it, tbh. Personality should have no affect on the hiring process.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 15:08:45 »

Actually, I think my company does this. I don't agree with it, tbh. Personality should have no affect on the hiring process.

You had to give them this when you submitted your resume?  I do think personality should matter (if you have an awful attitude and would clash with the team, you shouldn't be hired), but not this silly test.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 15:17:55 »

You had to give them this when you submitted your resume?  I do think personality should matter (if you have an awful attitude and would clash with the team, you shouldn't be hired), but not this silly test.

I know they do some sort of personality test, don't think it's this particular one, but one similar to it. And yes, I can see where it would be useful to assess one's compatibility within a particular department...

Idk, I guess I just wouldn't like being judged by any form of personality test in a job setting. I'd rather they give me a chance to prove myself first...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 15:23:57 »
i remember it got me all wrong,
plus it didn't say pabl (punk ass ***** loser)

worst test ever 9/10 would sue
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 15:24:02 »

And it's for that latter reason that I feel this latest result is more accurate.
My understanding is that ones personality type doesn't change, it's an abstraction of thought processes (or a set of patterns in brain activity, if Nardi is right). It can develop a bit though. One can learn to fake behavior of some other type or can be forced to do so too, although it isn't recognized as healthy (I don't really understand the consequences though). At last but not least, personality type doesn't describe the whole psyche.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 20:40:02 »

My understanding is that ones personality type doesn't change, it's an abstraction of thought processes (or a set of patterns in brain activity, if Nardi is right). It can develop a bit though. One can learn to fake behavior of some other type or can be forced to do so too, although it isn't recognized as healthy (I don't really understand the consequences though). At last but not least, personality type doesn't describe the whole psyche.

I have definitely noticed that cannabis (at least for me) numbs my emotions when used regularly, and now that I have stopped they have become much closer to the surface. Which in the case of this test, can show a major difference in personality (which is another reason why  this test kinda sucks).

And the whole "fake behavior" or "forced personality" thing: majorly accurate in my case. It's so bad for me that I almost have a unique personality for pretty much every one of my friends. I can agree, it's not healthy, but it's how my introverted mind copes with social situations.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 20:59:08 »
And the whole "fake behavior" or "forced personality" thing: majorly accurate in my case. It's so bad for me that I almost have a unique personality for pretty much every one of my friends. I can agree, it's not healthy, but it's how my introverted mind copes with social situations.

I do not know you outside of the forums, so obviously take this with a bucket of salt - but here's my take on this, as I tend to adjust my personality to the people I'm talking to as well (I'm assuming that what you said is similar to my situation).  Okay, disclaimer done.

I see it as having the ability to relate to and converse easily with many different people easily.  I don't see it as a crutch or a need to "fit in" and copy what the other person does.  I've always considered it a sort of social skill, because some people either can't read a situation or just choose to act the same regardless of changing circumstances.  I find that having the ability to adapt (while still being genuine and happy with yourself and how you're acting) is helpful, and not a drawback or a character flaw.  (not intending for this to sound arrogant or anything like that, but I have thought about this before and this is the best interpretation I've come up with for my own situation)

Again, maybe we're talking totally different situations here.  But if you haven't thought of it this way, maybe give it some consideration.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 07:15:12 »
I have considered that perspective, but I still feel like, in my situation, it's more of a curse than an ability.

Reason I say that is because, now I truly don't know which personality is actually mine; it changes so frequently. It's as if the only time I can truly be myself is when I'm alone or with immediate family, which when trying to build outside relationships, is very much a bad thing.

It does have it's advantages (being able to adapt), but it also has that one HUGE disadvantage...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 08:20:47 »
A necro reply, yay!
MBTI isn't a horoscope. Actually, it appears to correspond quite well to patterns in brain activity. That's where the interesting part happens anyway.
I agree that it's very useful for understanding a vast majority of people. That said, most people are not self-actualizing (aristotole would not consider them "people" at all). the test starts to break down for some people. (level 4-5 on positive disintegration, or an otherwise self-actualizing individual). Unfortunately such people are so uncommon, it's hard to find enough to study.
To me, it looks like there's an obvious link between certain aspects of self-actualization (as defined by Maslow or Dąbrowski) and traits of certain types. Would love to see a study on the subject.

TBH, I'm fairly skeptical about the theory of positive disintegration; it has even less recognition than personality typing in the scientific community. Not enough data to take it for granted. I take even personality type with a grain of salt, until there's a viable quantitative neuroscientific study—with a viable method to determine ones type, instead of taking tests of quality all over the place... and tests are still better than "the art of speedreading people", which doesn't work at all in too many cases IME.

Offline mauri

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 08:52:55 »

*a unique

"an" doesn't need to go in front of every vowel, just the ones that sound like vowels...

With my ****ty pronunciation it does.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 09:02:38 »

*a unique

If you pronounce 'unique' like a Frenchman, then you are totally right to precede it with 'an'.  ;)

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:06:08 »

*a unique

If you pronounce 'unique' like a Frenchman, then you are totally right to precede it with 'an'.  ;)

Touché
tp thread is tp thread

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:27:28 »
ISFP

Introvert(33%)  Sensing(1%)  Feeling(38%)  Perceiving(11%)

There were some questions I couldn't really answer, so I'm not sure how accurate this is.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline mauri

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 11:10:09 »
ISFP

Introvert(33%)  Sensing(1%)  Feeling(38%)  Perceiving(11%)

There were some questions I couldn't really answer, so I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Extremely. Son, you're in the system now. There's no getting out.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 11:41:42 »
Looking at the 1% confidence, I recommend rather reading on cognitive functions.

Offline iri

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 05:02:34 »

I do not know you outside of the forums, so obviously take this with a bucket of salt - but here's my take on this, as I tend to adjust my personality to the people I'm talking to as well
i guess many people do, including me. that is neither hard nor bothersome. what bothers me all the time is the necessity to adapt the conversation to the intellectual level of the people i'm talking to. to choose simpler words, to make less subtle jokes. maybe to repeat something several times. eww.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 08:57:53 »

I do not know you outside of the forums, so obviously take this with a bucket of salt - but here's my take on this, as I tend to adjust my personality to the people I'm talking to as well
i guess many people do, including me. that is neither hard nor bothersome. what bothers me all the time is the necessity to adapt the conversation to the intellectual level of the people i'm talking to. to choose simpler words, to make less subtle jokes. maybe to repeat something several times. eww.

Well, this thread is about personality, and now you are talking about intelligence. What it is interesting is how the first subject, now is evoking other aspects of the being. Maybe you should join MENSA to relate with people that can stand up to your level. I wonder where the "eww" fits though.  :)

Offline D01

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:07:45 »
INTJ.

Introvert(67%) iNtuitive(12%) Thinking(25%) Judging(1%)
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:23:07 by D01 »

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:19:42 »

INTP
I[/size]ntrovert(33%)  [/color][/size]i[/color][/size]N[/color][/size]tuitive(38%)  [/color][/size]T[/color][/size]hinking(75%)  [/color][/size]P[/color][/size]erceiving(11%)[/color][/size][/color]
You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (33%)You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (38%)You have distinct preference of Thinking over Feeling (75%)You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (11%)[/size][/font]

IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:31:17 »
INTJ

Introvert(72%)  iNtuitive(94%)  Thinking(50%)  Judging(33%)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:34:44 »
I hope ya'll understand that a large part of Personality is adaptive.. 

Which means that just because you scored one way AT THIS POINT in your life, Living Where you are now,   DOES NOT predispose you to be that way forever..

Humans are highly plastic, both mentally and physically..

So.. keep that in mind, and never attempt to justify your choices by these artificial conceptions.

Offline iri

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:59:26 »

Well, this thread is about personality, and now you are talking about intelligence. What it is interesting is how the first subject, now is evoking other aspects of the being. Maybe you should join MENSA to relate with people that can stand up to your level. I wonder where the "eww" fits though.  :)
MENSA is below my level =)

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 10:07:21 »
ENTP
Extravert(1%)  iNtuitive(6%)  Thinking(50%)  Perceiving(22%)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 10:21:45 »

Which means that just because you scored one way AT THIS POINT in your life, Living Where you are now,   DOES NOT predispose you to be that way forever..

So.. keep that in mind, and never attempt to justify your choices by these artificial conceptions.

Show Image

For me, I found it interesting that the description they gave me was really accurate. I think it's some kind of good way to know yourself more if used right.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline RED-404

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 10:40:22 »
INTP
Introvert(22%)  iNtuitive(38%)  Thinking(12%)  Perceiving(44%)

You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed

This one is complete BS without context...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 10:57:25 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:00:09 »
INTP
Introvert(22%)  iNtuitive(38%)  Thinking(12%)  Perceiving(44%)

You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed

This one is complete BS without context...

doesn't that just mean you're Non-committal..  ladies beware... sly wolf here..

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
Your Myers-Briggs Personality Type
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:15:59 »

"tp4t

onion(100%)

you have layers"
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Malphas

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 15:00:09 »

Show Image

Yeah, indeed. I would even go as far as to say it could change more than you think within a matter of days or hours, given a change in mood and circumstances. Also the general idea that you can bracket the entire human population into sixteen (is it sixteen? That's a guess because I can't be bothered to work it out) types of personality is naive and simplistic.

I think part of the reason people identify so readily with whatever result they've gotten from this type of quiz is because - much like horoscopes - everyone can identify with practically all the results to some extent, and since all the personality types can be seen as complimentary in some way, or suggest some sort of shared-ground with noteworthy people, there's a subconscious desire to identify with the result for purposes of self-affirmation. It's called the Forer effect.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 15:24:17 »
I would even go as far as to say it could change more than you think within a matter of days or hours, given a change in mood and circumstances.
That's Big Five and it's supposed to work like that. It's also widely used by psychologists.

Also the general idea that you can bracket the entire human population into sixteen (is it sixteen? That's a guess because I can't be bothered to work it out) types of personality is naive and simplistic.
The codes are indeed a bit confusing. I like vectors better... Big Five and MBTI do correlate in a way.

I think part of the reason people identify so readily with whatever result they've gotten from this type of quiz is because - much like horoscopes - everyone can identify with practically all the results to some extent, and since all the personality types can be seen as complimentary in some way, or suggest some sort of shared-ground with noteworthy people, there's a subconscious desire to identify with the result for purposes of self-affirmation. It's called the Forer effect.
That's the case with any tool used in corporate environment or self-help books. Including Big Five. Fortunately, Jung's Psychological Types aren't written like that.