Author Topic: One-handed Ergodox layouts  (Read 6845 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
One-handed Ergodox layouts
« on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:48:37 »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone else has created a one-handed Ergodox layout?  I got inspired yesterday after looking at the Matias one handed keyboard, and decided to create a one handed layout using the Ergodox.   What do you guys think?

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=UFLHZS&hash=06667b0bcdc61a623351ebb725eee273

Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

Re: One-handed Ergodox layouts
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 16:42:54 »
Really?  Nobody?

Offline jakkdl

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 17:16:53 »
I've often toyed with the idea of learning left-handed dvorak for the sole reason of being able to type while eating with the other hand. Why would you do it with the right hand though?

Das Keyboard S Ultimate, Cherry MX Blue

Offline luisbg

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 17:20:22 »
I've often toyed with the idea of learning left-handed dvorak for the sole reason of being able to type while eating with the other hand. Why would you do it with the right hand though?

Do you really eat and type at the same time that often?
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 17:58:43 »
Is the layout mirrored in the layout editor because the controller would be on the opposite side?
Then you should also reverse the order of the numeric row on layer 0. I think the numeric row on layer 1 should be the opposite order from layer 0 ... and that means that the numeric row is in the correct order on layer 1.

I would not change any thumbkeys between layers: you have only one thumb on each hand. ;)
I would instead overlay arrow keys with pgup/pgdn/home/end keys or make the ~L1-key toggle direction with only two cursor keys like on the Commodore 64.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:01:26 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 18:08:39 »
this might not be so popular, because the whole point of the EGDX is Split design..

If anyone wanted a one handed keyboard.. they could just use their regular keyboard w/ 1 hand.. LOL

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 20:25:08 »

I did it with the right hand because the Ergodox controller is in the right hand.

Is the layout mirrored in the layout editor because the controller would be on the opposite side?
Then you should also reverse the order of the numeric row on layer 0. I think the numeric row on layer 1 should be the opposite order from layer 0 ... and that means that the numeric row is in the correct order on layer 1.

I would not change any thumbkeys between layers: you have only one thumb on each hand. ;)
I would instead overlay arrow keys with pgup/pgdn/home/end keys or make the ~L1-key toggle direction with only two cursor keys like on the Commodore 64.

The layout is mirrored so I can type the same letters with the same finger.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:15:16 »

The layout is mirrored so I can type the same letters with the same finger.

Mirroring. That is very interesting.

Do you tend to always use the same hand for the same keys? Or do you switch around?

Do you have the L1 of the left hand as the default of the right hand and viceversa? If you inverse the default and L1 in each hand, you could have both a two-handed and one-handed keyboard at the same time.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:14:13 »
I did it with the right hand because the Ergodox controller is in the right hand.
It doesn't have to be. The Teensy 2.0 can be soldered to the left. The PCB is symmetric, you know. ;)

BTW. On my (two-handed) ErgoDox, I made the left side of the numpad-layer into a one-handed keyboard, but I don't use my ErgoDox that much because I can't really get used to columnar layouts.
🍉

Offline jakkdl

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 20:56:58 »

Definitely not often enough to justify learning a completely new layout.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:04:41 »

Maybe you don't eat while typing frequently because you haven't learned left-handed dvorak. Have you thought about that?  :p

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 08:27:25 »
It doesn't have to be. The Teensy 2.0 can be soldered to the left. The PCB is symmetric, you know. ;)

BTW. On my (two-handed) ErgoDox, I made the left side of the numpad-layer into a one-handed keyboard, but I don't use my ErgoDox that much because I can't really get used to columnar layouts.

Yea, I know it's symmetrical.  Just happens that mine are on the right.

Offline jakkdl

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 13:52:13 »

Maybe you don't eat while typing frequently because you haven't learned left-handed dvorak. Have you thought about that?  :p

Oh damn, now I need to learn left-handed dvorak to find out if that's true!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 18:34:45 »
im planning to use my lefthand ergodox half with as much of a LH dvorak as will fit on one hand, and the rest on the "other" layer.

I am not using the stock firmware, but instead soarer's firmware which works just fine and doesn't require a stupid USB pigtail to be made up.

Offline myrddin

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 04:24:55 »

Yea, I know it's symmetrical.  Just happens that mine are on the right.

Does that mean I could buy a second teensy, stick one in each side, not connect them at all via that funny joiner cable, and just have 'two' keyboards connected to my pc?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 05:17:13 »
Of course you *can* do that, but one half won't know about the other one then, which is obviously a problem, if you want to activate layers in firmware using modifiers/toggles placed on the opposite half.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 09:20:55 »
A few people in this thread have mentioned they setup their Ergodoxes in cool ways but that they don't really use them.

You guys should sell them to people who don't have the skills to build a custom/diy keyboard. I have seen a lot of interest of people wanting to buy Ergodoxes already built.  :thumb:

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 00:23:07 »
A few people in this thread have mentioned they setup their Ergodoxes in cool ways but that they don't really use them.

You guys should sell them to people who don't have the skills to build a custom/diy keyboard. I have seen a lot of interest of people wanting to buy Ergodoxes already built.  :thumb:

I offer build, tuning and repair services in Malaysia. You fancy paying for the shipping?

Offline luisbg

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 11:10:50 »
I offer build, tuning and repair services in Malaysia. You fancy paying for the shipping?

I wasn't asking for myself. I am waiting for mine. Bought it in the last Massdrop so it should be in the post soon.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 11:44:28 »

I wasn't asking for myself. I am waiting for mine. Bought it in the last Massdrop so it should be in the post soon.

Nonetheless, I do offer such services, but the market is so small that I can never sustain myself doing such work. Alas, MKBs have to be relegated to the position of a hobby.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 12:19:24 »

Nonetheless, I do offer such services, but the market is so small that I can never sustain myself doing such work. Alas, MKBs have to be relegated to the position of a hobby.

That is unfortunate but sadly the nature of niche tastes.

If I fail to build mine, or if I need it tuned/repaired. I will let you know.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 14:43:00 »
Hey, I was wondering if anyone else has created a one-handed Ergodox layout?  I got inspired yesterday after looking at the Matias one handed keyboard, and decided to create a one handed layout using the Ergodox.   What do you guys think?

I had the same thought for my ErgoDox.  I created mine as an additional layer on my board, though.  And on the left hand just like the Matias board - I just pushed the right hand half out the way and slid the mouse closer to use.

I'm going to go rummage around and look for my layer at MassDrop to see if I can link it.  I haven't used my ErgoDox in months, sadly.

**edit:
Found my build that had the one hand support.  Layer 3 and 4.  And I didn't use it much, but the Matias layout is actually pretty good.  I just wish the one handed boards they have weren't so expensive.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 July 2014, 14:46:26 by wiredPANDA »
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)