Author Topic: Very lightweight keyboard 60%  (Read 5083 times)

Offline genkidama

Very lightweight keyboard 60%
« on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:18:19 »
Hey guys!

I was wondering as I'm reading about 60% boards here and there and I have a wish to create one myself. I was thinking is there a very lightweight but sturdy 60% board out there? I tried to search a bit and found this piece "Tex Beetle Mechanical Keyboard with aluminium". Seems its about 500gr or 1.10lbs. You guys think there is a lighter board out there?

Why I'm searching for this is on the one hand to see what kind of material is used and maybe which tricks the manufacturer had up their sleeves to make it lighter and on the other hand because I would love to have a very lightweight board for traveling and using it at my work, campus, at my girlfriend's and stuff like that. Because most of the boards are still quite heavy. And maybe if there are lighter boards around I don't have to built one and can save some bucks and built a somewhat cheaper 60% board to get to know keyboards more.

Cheers genki
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Very lightweight keyboard 60%
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:30:09 »
The new Infinity certainly weighs less than the GON or the TEX Beetle
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64198.0

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:33:23 »
Honestly the stock pokers with plastic cases are sufficiently rigid and quite light. You may not like the 'hollow' feel and there are things that can be done for that (inserting foam under pcb, etc).  The plastic casing weighs about 130g. Most Al cases weigh over 400g. If you can do without a plate, that will save 90-150g. If you want to go lighter, see the discussion and project in my signature.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:48:45 »

Are you sure? it looks like the infinity has more metal
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/38-gon-ns-skinny-housing-only.html

I think they have about the same amount of metal but come to think of it the infinity uses stainless steel, making the less-dense aluminium of the GON skinny weigh less.

The infinity most likely has a better strength to weight ratio though, making it up to the OP what he wants.

to compare, my entire poker 2 weighs 580 grams without the cable. A poker X will weigh less as it has no plate.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:07:53 »
How about an HHKB? 350g or so.  ;)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:09:17 »
I've been working on a very thin and lightweight case for the JD40.  I adapted a version of the design for the GH36 and posted it in that thread yesterday.

With 1mm walls and curved edges, it is both very light and strong enough to toss into a backpack.  The Poker PCB supports PCB-mounted switches and stabilizers, so I think I could adapt the design to support that 60% PCB, and therefore the GH60 and probably the Gon as well (I don't know that for sure.)

Take a look at my most recent case; posted in the GH36 thread:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61306.msg1501284#msg1501284

-Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline genkidama

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:16:24 »

I've read about the Infinity board, I think CTPBadass posted about this? The 23oz are 650gr-ish and is heavier than the Tex I found. I dont really know about lbs and oz and let google translate it to kilograms, so I'm not sure if there is an error converting those. But I guess not.

The infinity most likely has a better strength to weight ratio though, making it up to the OP what he wants.

to compare, my entire poker 2 weighs 580 grams without the cable. A poker X will weigh less as it has no plate.
Actually I am looking just for a very lightweight board which doesn't bend too hard and is sturdy in feel and typing. So it's not wobbily and stuff.

I guess the poker is interesting for a lightweight board putting in some foam and maybe o-rings for quietness (as at work it can disturb others, we have big offices). But it's not fully programmable right with more than two layers?
With BlueBär I created a layout that would fit arrow keys and some function keys on a 60% board and that's why it would be perfect to have a full programmable board.

gon skinny :)
How light is the GON skinny? I couldn't find something via google or GONs website =/

Take a look at my most recent case; posted in the GH36 thread:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61306.msg1501284#msg1501284

-Ron | samwisekoi
I will be looking into your thread thanks, sounds intriguing.

How about an HHKB? 350g or so.  ;)
Unfortunately I think the HHKB is not my layout and too expensive. =/
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:21:04 by genkidama »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:28:00 »
Planck ought to be around 400 g even with the steel sandwich "case" AFAIK. If do something that with a different material, you should be fine.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:29:08 »
even though i hate it, the HHKB is really light
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:36:33 »
gon skinny :)
How light is the GON skinny? I couldn't find something via google or GONs website =/

I have no idea. thinking of ordering though

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:56:33 »
Yeah, most stock 60% boards like Pokers or Pures are really light cause of the plastic case.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 17:29:25 »
Yeah go plastic but I do have a GON skinny and I love it. Its super light! :thumb:

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 17:55:31 »
Yeah, most stock 60% boards like Pokers or Pures are really light cause of the plastic case.

And...the new PBT Poker II's feature a plastic plate. This adds to them being light weight.

KBParadise v60 is lightweight as well, but my money would be on the PBT Poker II.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 22:21:48 »

And...the new PBT Poker II's feature a plastic plate. This adds to them being light weight.

KBParadise v60 is lightweight as well, but my money would be on the PBT Poker II.
And the Pures are even lighter since they're PCB mount

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline genkidama

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 08:30:40 »
And here I'm sitting thinking that aluminium is quite light and near plastic weight, but it seems I am mistaken.

So the best bet is a plastic case and pcb mount. But still the poker II is not fully programmable that's why I thought to use the GH60 if the final instruction manual is out. I guess the assembling of the GH60 is still in progress?

Yeah go plastic but I do have a GON skinny and I love it. Its super light! :thumb:
Waht's super light for you? :)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:34:43 »
And here I'm sitting thinking that aluminium is quite light and near plastic weight, but it seems I am mistaken.

So the best bet is a plastic case and pcb mount. But still the poker II is not fully programmable that's why I thought to use the GH60 if the final instruction manual is out. I guess the assembling of the GH60 is still in progress?

Waht's super light for you? :)

It about half a pound!

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:36:32 »
This is what it looks like, you can see its pretty minimal!
79894-0

79895-1

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:41:04 »

That is the first I have heard of this. Do you have any pics or more information about this? I thought all OEM produced keyboards with plates had metal plates.

And I've never heard of a keyboard having a plastic plate.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:14:31 »
my Poker II w/ PBT has a heavy as fudge metal plate. is there a newer one released recently?

Offline genkidama

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:15:38 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Looks really nice! Half a pound is also quite nice! Is it loud while typing?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:04:30 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Well that depends More on the switch type and the type of cap but the aluminum surface does amplify the sound a bit.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:10:06 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Well that depends More on the switch type and the type of cap but the aluminum surface does amplify the sound a bit.
But you might want to have something soft in between the keyboard and your desk like a mat or some foam

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:18:59 »
Yes of course, I used a little foam tape to add some pads so that it doesn't move around or rattle. 79911-0

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:03:17 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

But you might want to have something soft in between the keyboard and your desk like a mat or some foam

And GON is the best! The first time I put it together I screwed up the soldering and he took ten bucks off a replacement!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 15:09:05 »
mechanical make for bad travel boards because the keys are generally Taller, and are quite susceptible to damage if they get torqued..

the thin scissor boards are ideal.. they won't break, and they're MUCH LIGHTER.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 08:50:37 »
The GON skinny seems like a good deal  :thumb: thanks for that guys!

I dont know about the scissor boards, seems like its more difficult to switch keycaps and clean the board. I think if the board is used for travelling you need to clean it more than usual. What about a mech with low profile keycaps? Should be the same in height shouldnt it?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 09:39:13 »
Rubber skins.