Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 568392 times)

Offline treeleaf64

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #4750 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 11:41:54 »
I'm using some box navies for typing at home, but I still don't mind using even Cherry MX Red. Browns just feel terrible to me, and aren't tactile enough to be worth being tactile at all in light of this. I certainly haven't tried lubed ones though.

Again, they're only really meant to be barely noticeably tactile, since they were originally designed as an "ergo" option.  Lubing them or just wearing them in for a few months makes them much nicer to use though.

Exactly this. A lot of people seem to miss the point of MX browns. They aren't meant to be the most tactile thing in the world nor the smoothest (blame cherry molds for that), but properly tuned/lubed they're some of the nicest switch for typists with good form.

I understanding disliking MX browns if you've tried all the popular switches plus their tuned/lubed counterparts, at that point it's just personal preference. It is, however, a bit sad to see people bash brown switches just because they're readily available and not as tactile as some other existing switches (and somehow, making them bad? lol).
I genuinely know linear switches that are more tactile than MX Brown.

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment

Offline treeleaf64

« Reply #4751 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 11:43:23 »
Also, here's an unpopular opinion.

Alps whites are too tactile and too heavy.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4752 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 12:04:32 »
Also, here's an unpopular opinion.

Alps whites are too tactile and too heavy.

Never had the pleasure to feel Alps whites yet, though I have repeatedly looked at getting boards with them. They say they're basically equivalent to blues, just less smooth/refined as iterative changes went into place. I quite like blues, and actually consider them to be a nice moderate switch both in terms of tactility and weight, when compared to things like Box Navies. If white alps is too heavy, I imagine that's doubly so for membrane buckling springs.

What's your Goldilocks zone then?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4753 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 13:10:31 »
I'm using some box navies for typing at home, but I still don't mind using even Cherry MX Red. Browns just feel terrible to me, and aren't tactile enough to be worth being tactile at all in light of this. I certainly haven't tried lubed ones though.

Again, they're only really meant to be barely noticeably tactile, since they were originally designed as an "ergo" option.  Lubing them or just wearing them in for a few months makes them much nicer to use though.

Exactly this. A lot of people seem to miss the point of MX browns. They aren't meant to be the most tactile thing in the world nor the smoothest (blame cherry molds for that), but properly tuned/lubed they're some of the nicest switch for typists with good form.

I understanding disliking MX browns if you've tried all the popular switches plus their tuned/lubed counterparts, at that point it's just personal preference. It is, however, a bit sad to see people bash brown switches just because they're readily available and not as tactile as some other existing switches (and somehow, making them bad? lol).
I genuinely know linear switches that are more tactile than MX Brown.

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment
That's a thing? xD
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4754 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 13:26:44 »
That's a thing? xD

I would probably call it more of a Chyrosism. Some sort of low-key, almost passive aggressive, witty swipe at MX Browns in particular.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝕸𝖃 𝕭𝖗𝖔𝖜𝖓 𝕭𝖊𝖘𝖙 𝖘𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖈𝖍
« Reply #4755 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 14:07:01 »
This thread has made me positive that I am the bizzaro-world Chyros.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4756 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 14:16:13 »
This thread has made me positive that I am the bizzaro-world Chyros.

Anakin hated sand as well, whereas Kenobi went to live on Tatooine the rest of his life. Perhaps you're Obi Wan Kenobi.

Offline mode

« Reply #4757 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 15:24:31 »
This thread has made me positive that I am wrong

Checks out :P

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝕸𝖃 𝕭𝖗𝖔𝖜𝖓 𝕭𝖊𝖘𝖙 𝖘𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖈𝖍
« Reply #4758 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 15:47:41 »
This thread has made me positive that I am wrong

Checks out :P

Being a Chyros stan isn't cute lad >:(

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4759 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 17:13:05 »
That's a thing? xD

I would probably call it more of a Chyrosism. Some sort of low-key, almost passive aggressive, witty swipe at MX Browns in particular.
Low-key?! Damn,sounds like I need to up my game .

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4760 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 17:54:58 »
That's a thing? xD

Low-key?! Damn,sounds like I need to up my game
Show Image

Perhaps nonchalant or matter of fact would be more appropriate descriptor than low-key.

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #4761 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 22:33:24 »
I'm sure this has been said a million times maybe, but I'm new. I don't get artisans. And I'm not talking about the koi pond ones or galaxy ones, or like that cool snow globe one that was a group buy around Christmas. I'm talking the ones where it's just a face of something, like an animal or monster, and it's those same faces/same molds, but just a different color to match. I don't get it. I understand wanting a novelty key that matches your keyboard, but those face ones just don't look that good. Like, I'd never want one near a keyboard of mine.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4762 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 00:26:25 »
I'm sure this has been said a million times maybe, but I'm new. I don't get artisans. And I'm not talking about the koi pond ones or galaxy ones, or like that cool snow globe one that was a group buy around Christmas. I'm talking the ones where it's just a face of something, like an animal or monster, and it's those same faces/same molds, but just a different color to match. I don't get it. I understand wanting a novelty key that matches your keyboard, but those face ones just don't look that good. Like, I'd never want one near a keyboard of mine.

I agree, but I don't get the snow globe crap either. So long as it doesn't look/feel and sound like garbage, I don't care at all about caps.

Offline mode

« Reply #4763 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 01:11:30 »
Being a Chyros stan isn't cute lad >:(

Not a lad, nor am I the kind of princess to be able to feel that grain of sand!

Offline Insy

« Reply #4764 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 18:48:01 »
Ooh boy I'm gonna have the least popular opinions haha

1. If you don't have a real 10-key, you were probably never trained to use them. If you don't have one but have to do a bunch of arithmetic or fill in spreadsheets, you will want to kill yourself before you're 30 seconds in.
2. Clicky switches are for people who are so insecure they need people to REALLY know that they're typing
3. If you know how to type, you will only ever look at the keyboard very rarely so who cares if there is anything on them or not? If they're cheaply printed it doesn't matter if you wear off the printing because that would only ever be on the keys you don't look at anyway.
4. If I don't look at my keyboard to type, why should it have to be pretty with all sorts of RGB and colored keycaps? Waste of money and distracting.
5. There's not even anything wrong with a good rubber-dome keyboard. The first keyboard I got for myself I bought for $7 in 1996 and I used it until 2010 when it broke for the last time. Individual little yellow rubber domes glued on the contact sheet. Spill a drink on it? Take it apart, wipe the sheet between the contacts and let it dry. Put it back together and viola, no problems. Toss the keycap tray in the dish washer, good as new. New rubber domed keyboard usually also have ****ty shallow keys so I can't say they're good but still. Don't discount something that works if it's comfortable to use.
6. If you don't have F-keys, you can F-yourself. How am I supposed to 1-handed alt-f4 if I have to ALSO press an Fn key of some kind? We invented 104-key boards for a reason.
7. Dvorak was a scam artist and people still believe his lies. Qwerty was developed to facilitate Morse code transcription by grouping letters with common prefixes. Since Morse code is already optimized for minimalist messages, it turns out that keyboard layouts based on Morse are already incredibly good. Check out the Smithsonian magazine on the origin of the Sholes typewriter and Qwerty if you don't believe me.
8. Touch typing does not mean that every finger gets its own column. It means you know how to type without looking at the keyboard aka by touch. People who force themselves to using one column per finger are limiting their flexibility and not achieving their maximum typing potential by using their bodies natural finger positions.

I use a Topre Type Heaven, which gives me that nice rubber-dome softness on bottom-outs along with very durable switches, and a completely normal 45g weight on each switch. Some of the Realforce and other fancy topre keyboards have different weights on different keys, and that totally screws me up. Also, this only cost me $150 while keyboard with 2/3rds of the keys can cost twice as much. What a waste of money.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4765 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 19:28:02 »

1. If you don't have a real 10-key, you were probably never trained to use them. If you don't have one but have to do a bunch of arithmetic or fill in spreadsheets, you will want to kill yourself before you're 30 seconds in.
2. Clicky switches are for people who are so insecure they need people to REALLY know that they're typing
3. If you know how to type, you will only ever look at the keyboard very rarely so who cares if there is anything on them or not? If they're cheaply printed it doesn't matter if you wear off the printing because that would only ever be on the keys you don't look at anyway.
4. If I don't look at my keyboard to type, why should it have to be pretty with all sorts of RGB and colored keycaps? Waste of money and distracting.
5. There's not even anything wrong with a good rubber-dome keyboard. The first keyboard I got for myself I bought for $7 in 1996 and I used it until 2010 when it broke for the last time. Individual little yellow rubber domes glued on the contact sheet. Spill a drink on it? Take it apart, wipe the sheet between the contacts and let it dry. Put it back together and viola, no problems. Toss the keycap tray in the dish washer, good as new. New rubber domed keyboard usually also have ****ty shallow keys so I can't say they're good but still. Don't discount something that works if it's comfortable to use.
6. If you don't have F-keys, you can F-yourself. How am I supposed to 1-handed alt-f4 if I have to ALSO press an Fn key of some kind? We invented 104-key boards for a reason.
7. Dvorak was a scam artist and people still believe his lies. Qwerty was developed to facilitate Morse code transcription by grouping letters with common prefixes. Since Morse code is already optimized for minimalist messages, it turns out that keyboard layouts based on Morse are already incredibly good. Check out the Smithsonian magazine on the origin of the Sholes typewriter and Qwerty if you don't believe me.
8. Touch typing does not mean that every finger gets its own column. It means you know how to type without looking at the keyboard aka by touch. People who force themselves to using one column per finger are limiting their flexibility and not achieving their maximum typing potential by using their bodies natural finger positions.

I use a Topre Type Heaven, which gives me that nice rubber-dome softness on bottom-outs along with very durable switches, and a completely normal 45g weight on each switch. Some of the Realforce and other fancy topre keyboards have different weights on different keys, and that totally screws me up. Also, this only cost me $150 while keyboard with 2/3rds of the keys can cost twice as much. What a waste of money.

1. I was trained to use a 10-key, although my lack of use of/for it has made me too rusty to practically use it anymore. I work with spreadsheets all day every day, although it is mostly informational/record keeping. I do type plenty of numbers as well though and don't mind just using the the number row. No math though, really.

2. I disagree entirely, and I'm not sure how you even came to this conclusion. Put a Model F and just about anything else in front of me in an empty room, surrounded by empty rooms, and see which one I still choose for its feel and wonderful sound.

3. Agreed

4. Agreed, couldn't this just be combined with #3?

5. Agreed, so long as how it feels, the layout, and whatever else, is your thing. You do you. I think that's actually a fairly popular opinion here.

6. I've never had much use for F-keys myself, and I'm still a fan of giant keyboards in spite of this, but also small ones (so long as they have dedicated arrow keys).

7. No opinion, don't care beyond maybe the historical/developmental aspect, but wouldn't surprise me.

8. I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that point.

Even $150 is pretty spendy in my book, unless I'm looking for blue alps or Model Fs.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝕸𝖃 𝕭𝖗𝖔𝖜𝖓 𝕭𝖊𝖘𝖙 𝖘𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖈𝖍
« Reply #4766 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 21:55:57 »

1. If you don't have a real 10-key, you were probably never trained to use them.

1. Not an opinion, just kind of an assumption of someone personally. Not everyone fills in spreadsheets and does math all day. If I did, 10 key or not, I'd wanna kill myself.
2. Just kind of a **** statement about someone personally again tbh
8. Ergonomically column staggered keyboards are an improvement, and don't hinder your typing ability when used to the layout. Your assumption seems to be that the users of said layouts are only using one column per finger, when that isn't true. Really only need to count that there are more than 4 columns per side of keyboards like this to know that.

Online GlennL42

« Reply #4767 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 01:38:27 »
snip
Most of these can be boiled down to use case and personal opinion, which is perfectly reasonable IMO, though what bugs me is point 2, as I'm sure a lot of people likes their clicky choices not solely because of the fact that they are design to produce clicky sound, but rather the feel they impart, as there will always be an inherent difference between the feel imparted by mechanism of clicky and tactile switches, e.g: clicky switches will always have a comparatively 'cleaner/sharper' break than their tactile counterpart.

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #4768 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 03:23:36 »

10key in numpad is the real deal.

Some clicks sound nice and that's about it.

Aesthetics.
Aesthetics.

Amen! My Compaq RT101 is an amazing keyboard, I just wish it was smaller.

6. If you don't have F-keys, you can F-yourself. How am I supposed to 1-handed alt-f4 if I have to ALSO press an Fn key of some kind? We invented 104-key boards for a reason
That's personal, I use F keys only to take screenshots on Steam and change Wallpaper Engine presets.

I'm a Qwertz fossil, so nothing much to say, other than Dvorak is useless at anything else than typing in English.
I actually learned "the actual, government-approved" ten finger touch typing method recently, not only I experienced more fatigue in longer periods of time,  but mainly, it's just so unnatural for my right hand.

CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds | Logitech K200 | Compaq-branded Chicony KB-9963

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4769 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 03:59:27 »

10key in numpad is the real deal.
20-key numpad da bomb yo :cool: .

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • I like keebs and cereal
    • My promotion link
« Reply #4770 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 09:37:09 »

About the clicky switches, i just like the sound. What's wrong with that? Also, i don't need to look at my keyboard to type although i type improperly if there was a hand cam.

"iF yOu dOn'T hAvE f KeYs, YoU cAn f yoUrSelf"

I simply don't need function keys for the work i'm doing.