Author Topic: Do you use a cell phone case and screen protector?  (Read 17228 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Do you use a cell phone case and screen protector?
« on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 08:24:55 »
I'm kind of liking this slim, smooth, raw feel of a caseless unprotected phone BUT should I cover it up and keep it safe?

Yes? No? Maybe?

Ideas and suggestions?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Re: Do you use a cell phone case and screen protector?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 08:26:15 »
I'm kind of liking this slim, smooth, raw feel of a caseless unprotected phone BUT should I cover it up and keep it safe?

Yes? No? Maybe?

Ideas and suggestions?

I don't bother. Bought a bumper when I first got the Nexus 4 but I ditched it after a few weeks, made the phone double in thickness. Haven't cracked the screen yet and I've had the phone for about 18 months.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 08:59:09 »
I'm ok with case but some how I'm against screen protector. I don't know why.

Offline HairyBob

• but my name isn't Robert
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:05:59 »
It depends on the build of the phone. On my old lg G2 I used a case because the feel of the case felt better than the cheap plastic that the G2 was made out of did. Now I have a Note 4 and I don't use a case. The aluminum sides and plastic back feel great and the phone looks really nice. I'm not going to ruin that with a case, nor do I want to look like one those people who carry around a brick because they put an otterbox on their phone. I'd use a screen protector, but plastic isn't an option because that would cause the Note's pen to drag and glass protectors are like 40 bucks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:08:00 »
No..

I have a nokia 521 as a daily driver...  I got it for $40...   specifically so I can jump over fences, run upstairs and kick **** without worrying about destroying an $800 phone..

I didn't save any money..  I bought FREEDOM..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:09:37 »
No..

I have a nokia 521 as a daily driver...  I got it for $40...   specifically so I can jump over fences, run upstairs and kick **** without worrying about destroying an $800 phone..

Show Image

I didn't save any money..  I bought FREEDOM..

eww

Code: [Select]
Tech specs
Platform

Windows Phone 8
Processor

Qualcomm Snapdragon S4, dual-core 1 GHz
Memory

512MB RAM, 8GB mass memory
Networks

WCDMA network: 1700 - 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz; WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 21.1 Mbps; WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps; GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz; GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps; GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
Display

4.0 inch. WVGA (800 x 480), Super sensitive touch
Battery

Removable BL-5J, 1430.0 mAh, 3.7 V; Standby time (2G): 8.0 h, Standby time (3G): 400.0 hour(s)
Main camera

5 MP, Auto focus with two-stage capture key, Digital zoom: 4 x
Front camera

N/A
Audio

Playback file formats: ASF, MP4, AAC, AMR, MP3, M4A, WMA, 3GP, 3G2
Dimensions

4.88 x 2.51 x 0.389-inches (124.0 x 64.0 x 9.9 mm) (LxWxH)
Weight

4.39 ounces (124.5.0 g)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:17:41 »
Nokia 521 is the most Elite toss away phone..

It has everything you need to talk and text..   AND it even has FREE offline GPS..  Can't beat it for $40....

When was the last time you held a phone that was just a phone, and not some hot-potato you're afraid of dropping..

Free yourselves today.. Get a 521..

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:20:51 »
your nokia 521 can't help you with clackvent sales on the go..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:21:27 »
I remember back in the day when I got my first cell.. 

When someone says: "Yo, Tp4, Let me borrow ur phone" I just threw it to um, Full force..

Those days are back..   If you're not ready,  prepare for phone in face... cuz it's coming.. and I'm throwing it as hard as I possibly could..

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:23:14 »
I had a flip phone on my iPhone 3G all the time. Then also on my 5. I got a bit annoyed of it and took it off. Two weeks later I cracked the screen which would have been prevented if I had kept the case on.

Now I've got a Lumia 830, and I'm never taking the case off heh.

This one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NFIWI6S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:24:17 »
I remember back in the day when I got my first cell.. 

When someone says: "Yo, Tp4, Let me borrow ur phone" I just threw it to um, Full force..

Those days are back..   If you're not ready,  prepare for phone in face... cuz it's coming.. and I'm throwing it as hard as I possibly could..

Maybe we need a post your first cell phone thread?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:25:48 »

that's fine.. cuz I've never wanted a clack, as I think they look crummy and stylistically crass.   I mean.. a skull.. come on.... that dude's a 1 trick pony and he has never had a single original idea....

And seriously.. the whole skulls-emblem has been played out since the early 1900s...

it's popular today with the kiddy goths,

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:27:46 »

that's fine.. cuz I've never wanted a clack, as I think they look crummy and stylistically crass.   I mean.. a skull.. come on.... that dude's a 1 trick pony and he has never had a single original idea....

And seriously.. the whole skulls-emblem has been played out since the early 1900s...

that isn't true there are ogres that are really cool and recently this

credit to danielucf (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33569.msg1434177#msg1434177)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:29:45 »
I find the ENTIRE genre of sculpting keycaps irrelevant..

It's just silly..

It's like women painting their nails.. and sticking little plastic gems to their cellphones..

Seriously.. I've always found it beyond juvenile..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:31:04 »

It's just silly..

It's like women painting their nails.. and sticking little plastic gems to their cellphones..

One day someone will make a cap that will get your attention. :P

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:31:53 »

It's just silly..

i'm surprise you like hanging out in GH with juveniles, as I am sure 90% of us are :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:33:17 »

It's just silly..

One day someone will make a cap that will get your attention. :P

Many things "get" my attention..  doesn't make me want one though..

You can offer me an entire mountain of clacks,   I'd take it.. but I'd melt it down and sell it to India to be made into crummy kids toys..

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:33:35 »

It's just silly..

Yawn.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 09:36:20 »

It's just silly..

i'm surprise you like hanging out in GH with juveniles, as I am sure 90% of us are :P

I am referring to the backwards attempts at what is essentially the "decorating" we were all force fed in Arts-n-Crafts @ skool..

I do not reject the notion that many of us may be quite immature in demeanor.. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:27:27 »
That eagle cap is awesome!

When I had my beloved Nokia 3390s (I still have one, and I can slip the SIM card into it for camping trips) I didn't care.

Now that I have a fragile phone that cost enough to feed a family of 4 for several weeks, I feel obligated to take care of it.

Screen protectors are a no-brainer, and, unlike certain other protective devices, a good one is all but imperceptible in use.

For my old Galaxy S2 I had an Otter Commuter case, which was very protective but bulky.

For my new Avant, I have a cheap Chinese case that is far less bulky but easier to use. I keep my phone in my pants pocket, so the biggest complaint that I have is rubber on the outside, which makes it harder to get out in a hurry. I am looking for a case that has the rubber all on the inside with a good thin hard outer shell.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:31:19 »
I've never really done the whole case thing. I have an iPhone 5 that I used for well over a year and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I suppose I'm careful.

My work phone was a hand-me-down iPhone 5s and the previous owner - he had it a few weeks - DESTROYED it with a case on it. It looks like it went through a wood chipper. I hope it dies and I can get a replacement, honestly.

Keeping a phone in shape is 90% the owner and 10% the case/screen protector.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:41:16 »
I've never really done the whole case thing. I have an iPhone 5 that I used for well over a year and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I suppose I'm careful.

My work phone was a hand-me-down iPhone 5s and the previous owner - he had it a few weeks - DESTROYED it with a case on it. It looks like it went through a wood chipper. I hope it dies and I can get a replacement, honestly.

Keeping a phone in shape is 90% the owner and 10% the case/screen protector.

That's my point...

WHY BOTHER...  I don't want to babysit this time-waste-device..  Talk/Text/Email.. Moving on..

Nokia 521, Wh00t.

Offline SL89

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:46:55 »
No case, no cover. After years of using both i realized that it takes a decent amount of abuse to destroy phones. I have a 2013 Moto G and like any good tool it has some scratches, but its meant to be used, not babied. I stopped buying into the case / cover hype when i had my (at the time) Galaxy Nexus and i realized i was spending so much time and money caring about inane imperfections.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:53:19 »
For anyone against screen protectors, you guys need to try Glass screen protectors.
They feel great and are super clear, Best part is that they're also super easy to apply!

I'll only use slim low profile cases as i rarely drop my phone, i would actually run raw but i got a Spigen one because it's quite thin and the soft touch coating feels pretty much the same as my N5, which i looooooove

*edit* to answer your question, after i've used glass screen protectors i don't see any reason not to at least run those since they feel just as great as the naked glass, well because it's also glass. They can be had for like $10 on AliExpress and stuff.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:55:49 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 11:08:04 »
Buy a sapphire screen and never look back!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 11:08:51 »
I use stout cases for my phone primarily due to my work environment.  Working industrial construction/maintenance, there is a lot of grinding dust, metal shavings, weld sparks, and such.  These particals have a way of finding their way to your phone, doesn't matter if you have the phone in a ziploc baggie.  I personally use an Otter Box with the screen protector pulled off as it doesn't seal to the face of the glass so it actually traps dirt under it.  Instead I have had good luck with Zagg screen protectors.  They are a wet applied film that is amazingly clear and durable.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 15:41:44 »
I have a Samsung Note 2 and use only a screen protector (high quality one with silicon adhesive, Steinheil I think).

I had a phone cover for my Note 1 and it really did make it too thick, as most of them do. It also didn't seem to help when I dropped it on the stairs at home and it landed almost face flat. The display inside the device broke, but interestingly enough the glass touch panel didn't.

I've dropped my Note 2 quite a number of times (a couple of times onto concrete and asphalt) and the only damage so far are some scraped edges, a slightly flattened corner and what looks like some kind of point impact crack on the back panel (it's plastic, but has some kind of coating on). Everything still works like they day I bought it :)

Newer Samsung model phones are really tough and seem to be able to handle almost as much abuse as those older Nokia Symbian phones (although those are simply legendary in terms of what they can handle), so I don't consider a cover necessary for them. Can't really say about other brands / models.

@tp4tissue: How do you live with that OS on your device? It doesn't support USB OTG so you can't use an external keyboard with it ;)  :p
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 16:44:14 »
I have a Nokia Lumia 1520 and I have several cases for it. But really slim ones. Mainly because a 6" screen also means quite a bit of mass when you drop it. And I always drop it when I am outside on pavement. Just something to protect the camera bump and the corners for when I drop it by accident.
No screen protector because **** messing up your screen/introducing glare when you have Gorillaglass.
I've dropped an old Lumia 800 face first on some ZOAB (basically extremely porous asphalt) and all it walked away with was a tiny scratch on the screen.

I thought about getting a second, smaller Lumia for travel. My dad got a neongreen Lumia 730 dualsim which seems to work quite well for him. Now if only he could find his second simcard  :))

Now I've got a Lumia 830, and I'm never taking the case off heh.

This one - Nokia CP-627 Wireless Charging Flip Shell Case Cover for Lumia 830 - Orange
AT first I was "why use a wireless charging case if Qi is already built in?" then I realized this snaps into the back instead of the regular backshell. Must be a pretty slim cover. :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 January 2015, 17:06:40 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline iri

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 06:45:40 »
i had to change the screen in my galaxy mega after somebody hit my hand and i dropped the phone on asphalt.
ever since then i keep it in a silicon case.
now in a process of finding an appropriate case for my new galaxy s4.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline meztek

• Keyboards! Keyboards everywhere!
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 15:01:27 »
I have never gotten into cell phone cases and screen protectors, but I would consider one of those privacy shields which make the screen unviewable from off angles.  I have a belt holster though.

Offline osi

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 15:17:34 »
Phones are indeed much slimmer and sexier without a case but I recently added one to my phone, no screen protector though. I've left a phone on my lap too many times and stood up while the phone falls to the floor.

Although cases change the profile and look of the device, personally I'm happy paying for a case than dropping 50 to 100 for a deductible for a refurbished phone. Cases are insanely cheap direct from China.

Offline opoku.jones2

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 14:55:57 »
I use nokia 3310 and i dont worry abt covering it with a case or screen protector.

Offline Mark_Ziegenbein

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 16:20:16 »
Used a case religiously while working in the field (in and out of my vehicle). Now that I rude the desk, the case had to go.   Samsung Galaxy S4 with dollar-store screen protector carved to perfection!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 23:37:31 »
For anyone against screen protectors, you guys need to try Glass screen protectors.
They feel great and are super clear, Best part is that they're also super easy to apply!

I'll only use slim low profile cases as i rarely drop my phone, i would actually run raw but i got a Spigen one because it's quite thin and the soft touch coating feels pretty much the same as my N5, which i looooooove

*edit* to answer your question, after i've used glass screen protectors i don't see any reason not to at least run those since they feel just as great as the naked glass, well because it's also glass. They can be had for like $10 on AliExpress and stuff.

That's really cool. I may need to look into that.

I use a thin bumper around my nexus 4 because I find it makes the phone easier to handle. It doesn't significantly add to the thickness of the device, or provide much protection.

I'm moderately abusive to my phone, and I'm very pleased with how it's stood up to life. It gets carried in my jacket pocket and flung around, dropped on concrete floors, etc. There is a minor scratch on the screen, from when I put it in the same pocket as my earbuds, but it's only visible at certain angles on certain colours of background.

My next phone will probably have a screen protector and bumper again. Not too sold on the concept of a bulky case. Anything much bigger than what I have would make it more difficult to carry the thing around.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 23:40:07 »
I use a TPU case (a million times better than the old silicon sleeves) and a Spigen poly screen protector. In a TPU case I look for a grippy back and sides -- very important. Cimo usually makes good, cheap ones, but some models are too smooth so I look elsewhere. The spigen protectors are reasonable consistent from phone to phone so I've stuck with that brand.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 10:25:50 »
On my nexus, I use a iLoome flexglass screen protector. But no case. No scratches on the back. I like this material.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:03:35 »
I'm fairly simple. I just stick with the Apple Leather iPhone case with no screen protectors. Every iPhone I've had has been in pristine condition when I trade it it.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:16:48 »
i have a simple plastic screen protector on my Note 4
its in a Tech21 Impactology case mainly cause i've found my phones like to fall out of my pockets when I get out of my car sometimes.

And I'm still looking for a tempered glass that'll fit my Note4 without Halo/lifting on the edges.

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:19:05 »
I am not using phone case and screen protector. Because I don't like bad touch feeling.
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 22:08:44 »
iLoome flex glass is thin lol

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 22:23:46 »
i have a simple plastic screen protector on my Note 4
its in a Tech21 Impactology case mainly cause i've found my phones like to fall out of my pockets when I get out of my car sometimes.

And I'm still looking for a tempered glass that'll fit my Note4 without Halo/lifting on the edges.

get one of the ebay ones, make sure to pick ship from USA..

They're all pretty good.. 

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 14:08:34 »

It has everything you need to talk and text..   AND it even has FREE offline GPS..  Can't beat it for $40....

When was the last time you held a phone that was just a phone, and not some hot-potato you're afraid of dropping..

The 520 can be had for even cheaper, $29.99 on Amazon.  It was $19.99 on Black Friday.  There used to be unlock codes for $3, but those have gone away.  I had a 520, which was a good phone, before I upgraded to a Lumia 820.   The 520/521 are good, solid smartphones for voice, very good for messaging, reasonable for web browsing.  If you're the type into selfies, this phone isn't for you nor for someone who needs a high quality smartphone camera.

I have cases for my Moto X and Lumia 820.  They are a generic hard plastic that fits has a holster/belt clip.  When I'm ready to sell it, the cases will protect the phones and keep in good condition. 

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:17:33 »
I got a glass screen protector for my one plus one and you can barely tell it is on there. I didn't get it to protect from drops or cracks but to instead stop the small hairline cracks that built up on my galaxy s3 over the many years.

My old S1 had a metal case so I wasn't worried about it too much, my s3 had a replaceable back so I just changed that when it chipped, and my new 1+1 has a fancy textured back I don't want to cover up. So no case for me...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:22:46 »
Someone at Samsung and Corning Glassworks spent literally years to come up with a sturdy glass and case. Their whole career was to create something durable. I believe in that engineer(s) and I say **** cases and screen protector. My phones are naked. Nude. Like the engineers intended.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 02:22:26 »
Someone at Samsung and Corning Glassworks spent literally years to come up with a sturdy glass and case. Their whole career was to create something durable. I believe in that engineer(s) and I say **** cases and screen protector. My phones are naked. Nude. Like the engineers intended.

psssh.. Then they should've made it a thinner double pane, with replaceable fronts..

These are sucky engineers..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 02:25:27 »

The 520 can be had for even cheaper, $29.99 on Amazon.  It was $19.99 on Black Friday.  There used to be unlock codes for $3, but those have gone away.  I had a 520, which was a good phone, before I upgraded to a Lumia 820.   The 520/521 are good, solid smartphones for voice, very good for messaging, reasonable for web browsing.  If you're the type into selfies, this phone isn't for you nor for someone who needs a high quality smartphone camera.

I have cases for my Moto X and Lumia 820.  They are a generic hard plastic that fits has a holster/belt clip.  When I'm ready to sell it, the cases will protect the phones and keep in good condition. 

I would never ever use a phone that costs more than $40 again.. EVER...

It's a ball and chain in your pocket.... No thanks....  I'm gonna be the guy who can liberally bust out a random drop kick..

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 14:37:02 »

I would never ever use a phone that costs more than $40 again.. EVER...

It's a ball and chain in your pocket.... No thanks....  I'm gonna be the guy who can liberally bust out a random drop kick..
Show Image

fight my 10€ phone :
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 15:09:49 »
When I bought my Nexus 5 a few moths ago I also bought one of these flip covers which I used for about a month since I was worried I'd scratch the screen when I had it in my pocket.

I prefer the look of the phone without the case so a for the past couple of months I'v e used it without one. I don't use a screen protector because it ruins the feel and the glass is pretty damn scratch resistant, so far I've only gotten one tiny scratch at the top of the glass but since it's barely visible and it's not over the screen I'm not bothered by it.
I'm not worried about dropping my phone because I've never really dropped any of my previous phones (except for that one time I lost my phone in Berlin, RIP HTC Sensation).
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 16:02:54 »
I don't use a screen protector because it ruins the feel

Have you tried a glass one? It won't help as much with drop cracks as a plastic one, but it will protect from all the little scratches. It's another sheet of glass so it doesn't feel bad, maybe a little different. I do like how the one I chose shows noticeably less fingerprints due to it's enhanced oliophobic properties.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 16:29:45 »
I have a glass screen protector on my phone and it feels great. love the protection and finger oil is no longer a problem. Just need a quick wipe down on your shirt or pants and your set