Author Topic: So how many people on here have Asperger's?  (Read 5000 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
So how many people on here have Asperger's?
« on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:02:05 »
Just wondering.  Many of us exhibit various symptoms, including myself.  I don't consider this a bad thing, just something to think about.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: So how many people on here have Asperger's?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:03:53 »
I think many people go undiagnosed.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:07:55 »
I think many people go undiagnosed.

Yea, I know.

Here are some symptoms, for context.  http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7601.php

What are the signs and symptoms of Asperger's syndrome
What is the difference between a sign and a symptom? A symptom only the patient feels and describes, such as a headache or blurry vision, while a sign can be detected by other people, such as inflammation, dilated pupils, or a rash.

Asperger's syndrome is a wide spectrum disorder. This means that not all people have the same symptoms; they vary enormously from person-to-person. Below are some of the most common signs and symptoms:

Obsessive interests. Some children with Asperger's syndrome have become experts in a single object or topic. This often excludes any other subject. This compulsive interest can range from vacuum cleaners, car models, trains, computers or even objects as strange as kitchen equipment or lawn mowers. These activities usually involve collecting, numbering or listing.

Some are exceptionally knowledgeable in their chosen field of interest. The topic of conversation with others will focus on their special interest. While individuals with AS may present many facts about their interest, the National Library of Medicine5 mentions that "there will seem to be no point or conclusion."

Speech is formal or distinct - there may be a lack of rhythm or intonation in how a person with AS speaks. Their utterances may come out as flat, monotonous, or unusually slow or fast.

Children with AS commonly lack the ability to modulate the pitch of their voice to match their immediate surroundings. Sometimes there may be a problem in using the right amount of volume.

They may often sound much older than they are. Teachers or family members may describe their speech as that of a "little professor".

Routines. In an effort to lessen confusion, people with AS may have rules and rituals which they methodically maintain. They are anxious and upset if there is a disruption to their set of patterns. Parents and adults with AS say that the ability to adapt to change is there, even a change of routine, as long as the person knows well in advance. A surprise change in routine can sometimes cause upset or anxiety.

Non-functional routines are also common in people with Asperger's syndrome. A child may insist on going to school using exactly the same route every time, or dress in a specific order. According to NAMI6, "These nonfunctional routines can be of critical importance to the child with Asperger. Given a choice in clothing, the child might create what seems like a uniform that is worn day after day."

Social isolation. Adults and children with Asperger's syndrome are often isolated because of their poor social skills and narrow interests, i.e. they end up alone a lot. They can become withdrawn and seem uninterested in other people, appearing distant or aloof. Normal conversation may be challenging, because of inappropriate and/or odd behavior. There is a tendency to only talk about their singular interest. Making friends, as well as keeping them is often a problem.

In many cases, the person wants to have friends and mix in, but finds it hard. After trying and trying without much success, there is a risk the child (and adult) may find it safer and less troublesome to be alone. However, being alone might not be ideal. Contact with others, "brushing" with others in our herd, helps people with AS overcome some of their difficulties.

Delay in motor skills. Usually, children with Asperger's syndrome have developmental delays in motor skills, such as pedaling a bike, running, catching a ball, playing ball games, or climbing. They are often clumsy and poorly coordinated. Carrying out specific detailed tasks, such as tying shoelaces may require extra effort. The way they walk can appear either stiff or bouncy. Arms may not swing while walking, but just hang down (like they would if one were carrying shopping).

Researchers from Sweden wrote in the journal Physiotherapy Theory and Practice7 that people with Asperger's syndrome who were physically active tended to have better gross motor function compared to those who were less active.

Social skills and communication. Sometimes, people with Asperger's syndrome have difficulty to express themselves emotionally and socially. They find it difficult to understand and interpret gestures, facial expressions or tone of voice. They lack the basic social skills most other people take for granted. The natural ability of knowing when to start or end a conversation may be weak. They do not easily understand jokes, humor, figures of speech and irony.

Childhood banter (or adult's too) may cause distress and confusion. They are not aware of the commonly accepted social rules such as the appropriate distance to stand next to another person or choosing suitable topics of conversation. Also, they may intrude into other people's personal space unintentionally.

The Asperger's Association of New England8 explains that people with AS do not pick up much of the non-verbal social cues conveyed to them. They may simply not be aware of this information, while the cues that they do notice are commonly misinterpreted. This can result in "frustratingly awkward social interactions and ineffective behavioral responses."

Imagination. People with this syndrome can have difficulty with social imagination. They may have trouble imagining alternative outcomes to situations. Make-believe games may seem pointless, impossible to do, or ridiculous.

Topics based on logic, memory and systems are more interesting (mathematics, computer science and music). Many children with Asperger's syndrome are exceptionally talented or skilled in those particular areas.

Two researchers from the University of Cambridge in England wrote in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders9 that children with AS could offer imaginative suggestions to a situation presented to them, but they tended to be reality-based imaginings, rather than creative ones.

For example, when presented with a rectangular foam shape, they might say that it could be squashed into a flat rectangle, rather than imagining something like a kite floating in the sky among the clouds and seagulls, with a goblin sitting on top.

Sensory difficulties. In some individuals, the sensory sensitivity is distorted. One or all of the senses (sight, sound, smell, touch, or taste) can be altered. The senses are either intensified or underdeveloped. People with the syndrome might have different perceptions of loud noises, bright lights, intense smells, food textures and materials. Many people with AS say that if they know a noise or smell is going to come, they can cope with them well - often, it is an unexpected sensation that causes distress.

A team of Finnish researchers wrote in the journal Neuroscience Letter10 that auditory sensory processing is weak in children with AS. They suggested that this weakness "might be implicated in the perceptual problems encountered by children with AS."

Related conditions. In early childhood, children with Asperger's syndrome are often extremely active. Later, in young adulthood they may develop anxiety or depression. Other conditions related with the syndrome are Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), depression, tic disorders (such as Tourette syndrome), anxiety disorders, and Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:21:23 by prdlm2009 »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:36:25 »
- removed by poster
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:13:05 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:40:50 »
I find this kind of profiling somewhat insensitive.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 10:49:31 »
Sounds as if I don't have Asperger's ^-^

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:09:15 »
THIS WOULD EXPLAIN SO MUCH ABOUT MY WEIRDNESS

I MUST HAVE ASPERGERS

Tumblr pls

Self diagnosis is dumb.

Agreed.

A lot of people like to keep it private. Like me. I don't have Asperger's specifically, but I get what you're saying.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:25:13 »

I've been told that I'm insensitive and I have no clue when I'm doing it.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:29:21 »

Eh, I wouldn't take a lot of offense to it. You'll get people here willing to talk about their situation and some that take offense to it. I don't think it's insensitive to ask an open question that no one is bound to answer.

That said, I get told I have a "tone" with a lot of people. I'm never aware of it and I try talking with less inflection now. Which makes me sound more like a robot, which other people complain about.

People are horrible.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:32:13 »

It's a touchy subject and many people maybe wouldn't want to go directly to a computer forum and tell that they have asperger's. Imo that's the great part about the internet cause I can be whoever I want to be here, and don't get a stamp "the guy with asperger", not cause it's a bad thing
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:36:19 »

Eh, I wouldn't take a lot of offense to it. You'll get people here willing to talk about their situation and some that take offense to it. I don't think it's insensitive to ask an open question that no one is bound to answer.

I totally agree with this, I was recently injured and I've met quite a few people who clearly want to ask questions about it but don't because they think I'll be offended. I get that it's the polite way to deal with things but I'd rather people just take the plunge and go for it. I think taking about stuff like this is the best way for people to be properly informed.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:40:06 »
The only affliction I possess is that I'm too damn Awesome..

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:42:16 »
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:42:54 »
Just to be clear I wasn't necessarily saying that I found asking the question offensive since it is none of my business who does or does not respond. What I meant is that the widespread diagnosis of mental disorders has become insensitive to the people who seriously struggle with a disease. When seemingly normal people are diagnosed with brain disorders it gives society the impression that people with disease x are really not suffering that bad reducing the amount of needed attention severe cases get. So to make it short, I think coming up with a list of symptoms that declares you "mentaly x or y" is insensitive and is unlikely to do anything but cause unneeded stress and concern.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:50:19 »
Just to be clear I wasn't necessarily saying that I found asking the question offensive since it is none of my business who does or does not respond. What I meant is that the widespread diagnosis of mental disorders has become insensitive to the people who seriously struggle with a disease. When seemingly normal people are diagnosed with brain disorders it gives society the impression that people with disease x are really not suffering that bad reducing the amount of needed attention severe cases get. So to make it short, I think coming up with a list of symptoms that declares you "mentaly x or y" is insensitive and is unlikely to do anything but cause unneeded stress and concern.

That's not the root of the problem..

The main issue is that the Diagnostic Manual is more horoscope than science..

So now, every lazy woman who wasn't pretty enough to marry rich has clinical depression..

You see the problem ?

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:51:11 »

I'm actually going to have to ask for clarification here. There are clearly a LOT of people who go completely undiagnosed because of the social stigma that exists around having a real mental affliction of one type or another.

If you mean that self-diagnosing via the internet (going to wikipedia and mentally placing a checkmark next to some widely cast symptoms typed up by someone who may or may not know what they're talking about isn't a proper diagnosis) is offensive, I will totally agree with you on that.

Asperger syndrome happens to be a real disorder that some people are diagnosed with: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/detail_asperger.htm

Modified to fix a typo with the name of the mental disorder.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 12:17:35 by slip84 »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:52:24 »

So now, every lazy woman who wasn't pretty enough to marry rich has clinical depression..

You see the problem ?

I believe you are actually explaining a part of my argument. The idea that a simple list of symptoms can encompass the underlying complications involved with mental disorders is insane and ultimately insensitive.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:55:11 »

You see the problem ?

I believe you are actually explaining a part of my argument. The idea that a simple list of symptoms can encompass the underlying complications involved with mental disorders is insane and ultimately insensitive.

It's getting better though.. not the manual,  I mean clinical psychology is getting better, now that we have much better Fmri, pet, spect.. 

It's only recently that trained psychologists got to get a good look at the brain..

But if the guy ya'll are going to  just has the book...  Find someone else with the Machine.. HAHAHAHA

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 11:59:12 »

I'm actually going to have to ask for clarification here. There are clearly a LOT of people who go completely undiagnosed because of the social stigma that exists around having a real mental affliction of one type or another.

If you mean that self-diagnosing via the internet (going to wikipedia and mentally placing a checkmark next to some widely cast symptoms typed up by someone who may or may not know what they're talking about isn't a proper diagnosis) is offensive, I will totally agree with you on that.

Aspergers happens to be a real disorder that some people are diagnosed with: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/detail_asperger.htm

I think that people with real cases of this disease are being negatively effected by people like the OP who attempt to post what Asburgers "looks like" and having you self diagnose. So yes we are in agreement.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 12:14:18 »

Aspergers happens to be a real disorder that some people are diagnosed with: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/detail_asperger.htm

I think that people with real cases of this disease are being negatively effected by people like the OP who attempt to post what Asburgers "looks like" and having you self diagnose. So yes we are in agreement.

I'm offended that you can't spell Asperger's right when I clearly spelled it correctly in the thread title, which hurts the credibility of your arguments.

I don't intended to encourage anyone to self-diagnose, that's a rather arrogant way of going about things.  Sorry if anyone was offended.  If you exhibit most of the characteristics, I think it can help people on a path of understanding, self-knowledge, and self-improvement, and perhaps seeking more help and advice.  It's just something I observed, and I wished to start a discussion.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 12:15:39 »
The original poster never said if he or she was self-diagnosed or professionally. He or she asked if anyone have the disorder.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 12:16:57 »

I'm offended that you can't spell Asperger's right when I clearly spelled it correctly in the thread title, which hurts the credibility of your arguments.

I don't intended to encourage anyone

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 12:19:58 »
Here's the thing..

I was at one of these asperger awareness tables, because there was this cute girl I wanted to chat up.. Yes, this happened to be the pretext of most of the things I did during college..

She was one of the helping sorority girls, she didn't have aspergers..

Anyway..  When I actually talked to a few of the guys that did have aspergers.. They seem to have less of a clue as to why they're there than the people working the event..

It felt like the people with aspergers don't give a **** or don't know how to give a **** about having aspergers..

I feel like the sorority may have been leeching onto any issue at all to fill those required activity charts..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 15:06:36 »
I have many of those symptoms, and have had for as long as I can remember.

So yes, I probably have Asperger's.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 17:38:24 »
I have many of those symptoms, and have had for as long as I can remember.

So yes, I probably have Asperger's.

I doubt it...

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:13:15 »
Here's the thing..

I was at one of these asperger awareness tables, because there was this cute girl I wanted to chat up.. Yes, this happened to be the pretext of most of the things I did during college..

She was one of the helping sorority girls, she didn't have aspergers..

Anyway..  When I actually talked to a few of the guys that did have aspergers.. They seem to have less of a clue as to why they're there than the people working the event..

It felt like the people with aspergers don't give a **** or don't know how to give a **** about having aspergers..

I feel like the sorority may have been leeching onto any issue at all to fill those required activity charts..

This smells like aspies to me.

Offline SavvyBird

• Savvy Caps
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:20:08 »
The only affliction I possess is that I'm too damn Awesome..

Show Image

I like this  :thumb:
hi

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:10:21 »
I could name a few autistic aspie ****s here on GH

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:19:53 »

Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:21:18 »
Just wondering.  Many of us exhibit various symptoms, including myself.  I don't consider this a bad thing, just something to think about.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:23:52 »
Not to bash you in any way prdlm2009; it's just that your lines caused those images to pop into my head.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 20:28:02 »
I also am not bashing people who actually have aspergers, just using the term as one would use the modern usage of the term '***' when not referring to someone who is necessarily homosexual. I'm using 'aspie' in the insult directed internet lingo way, as in "I was arguing with this aspie **** on YouTube about why furries are better than bronies."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 21:06:37 »

everybody has aspergers/is in the autism spectrum/is anti social blah blah blah.

WE ARE ALL SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline iri

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 01:25:17 »
I am insensitive and do not have Asperger's.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 03:41:57 »

everybody has aspergers/is in the autism spectrum/is anti social blah blah blah.

WE ARE ALL SPECIAL SNOWFLAKES.

10/10
We're on a forum about keyboards

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 07:26:56 »
I am also a keyboard

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 19:55:19 »
Not to bash you in any way prdlm2009; it's just that your lines caused those images to pop into my head.

No worries, I'm pretty much impossible to insult.  I also regret starting this thread, so I'm locking it.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 19:55:34 »

No worries, I'm pretty much impossible to insult.  I also regret starting this thread, so I'm locking it.