Author Topic: SSD Advice  (Read 3473 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: SSD Advice
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 13:39:14 »
I honestly couldn't tell the difference between my sata evo drive and my HP ex920 drive. Right now my post takes up the most time during my bootup sequence, so really there's not much room to improve. This is a situation where we've reached good enough performance and to me, a drive that's twice as fast isn't twice as nice at this point.
Sounds like your system is strong enough to  push a Sata but not enough to go much beyond that.
Mind if I ask what you're running?

Hmm, yeah I actually bought the computer second hand from a kid off craigslist. It's actually really slow on POST, the whole sequence takes like 10 seconds or more. Maybe it just needs a cmos reset or something, I haven't bothered to look into it. I don't think my computer is getting bottlenecked, but maybe so. It's a 7700k, Asus Z170-a, and 32gb of 2666mhz memory. It's probably just me too dumb too notice the difference, but come to think of it, maybe it is the motherboard. Maybe worth a bios upgrade or similar?

Get'dat OVERCLOCK

Online Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 18:11:57 »
Hmm, yeah I actually bought the computer second hand from a kid off craigslist. It's actually really slow on POST, the whole sequence takes like 10 seconds or more. Maybe it just needs a cmos reset or something, I haven't bothered to look into it. I don't think my computer is getting bottlenecked, but maybe so. It's a 7700k, Asus Z170-a, and 32gb of 2666mhz memory. It's probably just me too dumb too notice the difference, but come to think of it, maybe it is the motherboard. Maybe worth a bios upgrade or similar?
Nice system!
You should be quite a bit over the hump, but as you go up, you do get diminishing returns. Still, I would have expected it to be noticeable, maybe only a little but still should have been.

In bios, I believe it's fast boot you want to change, it should drop post time in half. However... On some boards this will disable all USB ports until Windows starts, some disable all but the keyboard, some have different levels. If it does kill the keyboard, you can stll get to bios through Windows or terminal commands, but should your OS die it would mean clearing the cmos. Newer bios may give you better options.

As for for the system speed...
How old was the install when you got it? After a year or two, Windows will slow quite a bit. Using a drive image can also cause severe speed loss. Could also be a tired drive, bad driver... It's hard to say really. Either way, if you haven't reloaded it since you got it, reload it.

If it's a Hackintosh, then there is no hope. A faster drive or faster cpu, or even more ram will do NOTHING (sorry Mac users). The OS isn't optimized to take advantage of faster hardware.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/Vortex case, hand milled case, custom feet, custom paint, Klaxxon key caps, lubed and o-ringed Jailhouse Blues made from vintage Cherry MX Blues, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, removable cord, sound dampened. Winkey blockoff plate | Magicforce 68 w/Outemu Blues |KBT Race S L.E. w/Ergo-Clears, custom WASD keyset | Das Pro w/browns (Costar model) | IBM Model M (x2)

Online csmertx

• proprietor of waffles
  • * Elevated Elder
    • https://csmertx.github.io
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 16:34:16 »
For those Linux HDD hold outs not totally convinced about the performance upgrade of a decent SSD--the only time I'm aware of swap space usage is if I bring up htop or top for some other reason.  Pretty neat.
More
 / another 3d keyboard model thread / BSD thread / github / falotalt
...Especially the Florida cousins, who obviously can't take a hint.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 05:40:32 »
Newegg has the 860 evo 500Gb for $69 today, If I didn't just get the crucial mx500 for ~$45 I'd jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 09:24:25 »
Newegg has the 860 evo 500Gb for $69 today, If I didn't just get the crucial mx500 for ~$45 I'd jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Samsung tax isn't worth it if vs crucial,  because they're both quite reliable.

ALTHOUGH, recently micron(crucial) dropped the ball on some Ram going into 2070/2080 and it's been blowing up people's cards.