Author Topic: Your First SSD - Halp TP make Super hard decision NAO..  (Read 16079 times)

Offline fanpeople

Re: Your First SSD - Halp TP make Super hard decision NAO..
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 06:25:57 »
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB bought end 2013. I still remember the day that my computer first booted oh the speed literally made me giggle like a school girl. Now I am just have an entitled attitude towards computing speed especially when it takes 5 minutes to log onto work computers.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:37:57 »
just ordered an 850 evo 250 gig... hopefully no buyers remorse

why didn't you get the 500GB  it was only $150..

Whaaaaat. Don't dash my hopes like that tp.

No dude.. just order it..

They get new stock fast.. at most a week or two

Huh, looks like you can place an order when signed in.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:41:11 by Coreda »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:40:22 »
just ordered an 850 evo 250 gig... hopefully no buyers remorse

why didn't you get the 500GB  it was only $150..

Whaaaaat. Don't dash my hopes like that tp.

?

$150 for 500 gb is the going rate right now

the speculation is $130 @ black friday..

But it's prolly gonna be a crummy drive..

we're probably gonna see at best $140 for something like the EVO 500gb

Offline Coreda

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:42:45 »

I clearly haven't been keeping track of prices. This is great news.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:43:12 »

I clearly haven't been keeping track of prices. This is great news.

yea but, don't bother waiting for black friday   "TODAY"  lol.. that's stupid..

If you need 1 today, just get it for $150..

There's the BX100 right now at tigerdirect for $170 with $20 mail in rebate, so $150..

It's a great mobile laptop drive(uses less power),  but it's not as fast as the Top Shelf guys like 850Pro

Offline Coreda

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:50:19 »
Cool beans. Was thinking of picking up a larger SSD seeing as the 120GB version is close to full capacity. I'm not that fussed on the extra speed of the Pro, although it is MLC which I know helps with reliability.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:54:54 »
Cool beans. Was thinking of picking up a larger SSD seeing as the 120GB version is close to full capacity. I'm not that fussed on the extra speed of the Pro, although it is MLC which I know helps with reliability.

Yea i'm still slightly weary of the TLC myself...

I mean. everyone says the 850evo is ok now..  and I believe it from a technical standpoint...

Buuhhhhhhhh   the 840 thing leaves a bad taste in mouth..

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 20:41:23 »

I mean. everyone says the 850evo is ok now..  and I believe it from a technical standpoint...

Eeesh, I picked up a 1TB 850 Evo in the Amazon Prime sale and haven't used it yet, I just couldn't resist that discount, but I'd totally forgotten about the 840 issues.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 20:46:51 »

Eeesh, I picked up a 1TB 850 Evo in the Amazon Prime sale and haven't used it yet, I just couldn't resist that discount, but I'd totally forgotten about the 840 issues.

nah bro, you can go ahead and use it if you got one already..

I'm just paranoid..

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 09:50:13 »
Started with a Crucial M4 (256gb) for my laptop, got a Samsung 840 Pro (128gb) for my desktop and recently upgraded to a Samsung 850 Pro (512gb) for the desktop!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 11:29:00 »
Started with a Crucial M4 (256gb) for my laptop, got a Samsung 840 Pro (128gb) for my desktop and recently upgraded to a Samsung 850 Pro (512gb) for the desktop!

yeesh..  rich people...

Offline Coreda

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:00:00 »
Somewhat off-topic but a semi-advantage of HDD over SSD is data recovery. From what I've seen SSD data recovery is a different beast and useless in many cases. It's a more binary 'it works'/'it doesn't' scenario, unlike hard drives that often show signs of failure before giving up.

I can remember an article written by a tech journalist frustrated by several SSD failures within a short time (admittedly rare), none of which could be recovered. Linus Torvalds also famously had his main development SSD fail that wasn't recovered.

Seems like if you don't have a good backup you're screwed with SSDs.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 21:58:30 »
Somewhat off-topic but a semi-advantage of HDD over SSD is data recovery. From what I've seen SSD data recovery is a different beast and useless in many cases. It's a more binary 'it works'/'it doesn't' scenario, unlike hard drives that often show signs of failure before giving up.

I can remember an article written by a tech journalist frustrated by several SSD failures within a short time (admittedly rare), none of which could be recovered. Linus Torvalds also famously had his main development SSD fail that wasn't recovered.

I never though about this but this is just what i assumed and assumed other people assumed the same things. I keep all my important stuff on an HDD and OS/Games on my SSD.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 02:05:10 »

I never though about this but this is just what i assumed and assumed other people assumed the same things. I keep all my important stuff on an HDD and OS/Games on my SSD.

That's not an advantage at all..

You don't EVER want to be in the situation where you need a platter scanned..  NEVER

think about how much it costs to scan.. $500-2000

With that kind of money

You can buy 20x 3TB drives and be set for lyfe.. if you backup, it's nearly impossible that all of them will go down.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 02:50:48 »

A lot of the time, it's just a small chip or capacitor that has failed and can be replaced. This happens A LOT on thumbsticks.

You don't EVER want to be in the situation where you need a platter scanned..  NEVER

With that kind of money
You can buy 20x 3TB drives and be set for lyfe.. if you backup, it's nearly impossible that all of them will go down.
And there is usually no guarantee they can recover anything (you still pay).

Get an online remote backup service, pretty much the best bang for the buck. Or roll your own with Crashplan.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Coreda

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 03:35:16 »

I've had failed hard drives that I've recovered using free tools like PhotoRec. SpinRite can also be used sometimes. Dedicated disk recovery companies are definitely a last resort. Point was more that recovery seems to be easier from a technology standpoint than SSD and HDDs often give you signs of failure so you can replace them before they die. Backups are still necessary.

Image for Windows is what I use for local backups although it lacks two important things: consecutive scheduled backups and a way to manage deletion of backups older than x number of days. Possible with scripting but haven't spent the time looking into it. They should make it easier.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 August 2015, 03:38:38 by Coreda »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 13:23:27 »

A lot of the time, it's just a small chip or capacitor that has failed and can be replaced. This happens A LOT on thumbsticks.

With that kind of money
And there is usually no guarantee they can recover anything (you still pay).

Get an online remote backup service, pretty much the best bang for the buck. Or roll your own with Crashplan.

This is the best advice. I use Microsoft Azure cloud backup to back up our whole domain at work. Client machines back up to the server, the server backs up to the cloud (as well as a local external HDD). Extra redundancy, everybody wins.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 14:14:26 »

I've had failed hard drives that I've recovered using free tools like PhotoRec. SpinRite can also be used sometimes. Dedicated disk recovery companies are definitely a last resort. Point was more that recovery seems to be easier from a technology standpoint than SSD and HDDs often give you signs of failure so you can replace them before they die. Backups are still necessary.

Image for Windows is what I use for local backups although it lacks two important things: consecutive scheduled backups and a way to manage deletion of backups older than x number of days. Possible with scripting but haven't spent the time looking into it. They should make it easier.

Dude... Macrium REFLECT... Macrium Reflect.. !!

Offline Coreda

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 15:12:09 »

Haha, I'll give it a try. Looks to have backup management deletion and the ability to backup multiple drives at once (albeit via xml?) which is what I was looking for. Liking the auto next-day re-scheduling of missed backups, although I do wonder if it offers a way to manually cancel if the computer isn't idle. We'll see  ^-^

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 16:58:12 »

Haha, I'll give it a try. Looks to have backup management deletion and the ability to backup multiple drives at once (albeit via xml?) which is what I was looking for. Liking the auto next-day re-scheduling of missed backups, although I do wonder if it offers a way to manually cancel if the computer isn't idle. We'll see  ^-^

It's clonin' time !!

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 14:54:43 »

yeesh..  rich people...

Short term pain for the wallet...and long term gain for daily enjoyment of fast PC usage! :p :)) ;D :D

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 19:31:41 »
850 evo 500 gb first ssd  :-\

Offline raymogi

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 20:37:34 »
My first ones gotta be the ones on those Macbook so I forgot which one.

The one I've been using for the past 2 years though is the Intel 520 Series 480GB.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 20:41:17 »
My first ones gotta be the ones on those Macbook so I forgot which one.

The one I've been using for the past 2 years though is the Intel 520 Series 480GB.

sandforce ?  hahahahahaha..

I've been so burned by OCZ that I just can't bear the thought of anything with sandforce..

I know it wasn't their fault,  but it's been a harrowing experience..

Offline raymogi

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 20:44:09 »
Yeah probably. I think some of them have Samsung too.

I got SSD on my Razer Blade and Alienwares too, and I think those are much better than the Macbook ones.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 05:57:42 »

I've been so burned by OCZ that I just can't bear the thought of anything with sandforce..

Not only were they not at fault, they told OCZ not to use the settings they used.  It was disabled for a reason.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 09:45:09 »

Not only were they not at fault, they told OCZ not to use the settings they used.  It was disabled for a reason.

Everytime I hear OCZ..   I get an anxiety rush....

I used to wear their T-shirts in highschool too.. back in the day with the DDR ram, Ocz platinum rev 2.0.  overclocked to DDR600..  SOOoooo FAST...

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 11:31:15 »

I used to wear their T-shirts in highschool too.. back in the day with the DDR ram, Ocz platinum rev 2.0.  overclocked to DDR600..  SOOoooo FAST...

So this comment just made me really look into that ridiculously priced RAM that i was talking to you about on skype, the one that i could never fully utilize because my CPU clock speed couldn't overclock that high and i'm seriously appalled at my teenage actions....

I'm still not sure what the exact model # was but from the order confirmation email i got was: "OCZ - 2GB PC3-16000 Platinum Edition Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 1GB) ( $274.95 )"
What the hell was wrong with me....Even now i remember that being the time that 4GB kits were popular and generally cheap, but i remember being so set on a 2GB kit....why.....WHY!!!!
To put things into perspectives, i also bought a  "BFG - GeForce 9800 GTX OCX 512MB ( $549.90 )" in this build. My ****ing ram was half the cost of my video card....
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 11:33:50 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 12:12:34 »

So this comment just made me really look into that ridiculously priced RAM that i was talking to you about on skype, the one that i could never fully utilize because my CPU clock speed couldn't overclock that high and i'm seriously appalled at my teenage actions....

I'm still not sure what the exact model # was but from the order confirmation email i got was: "OCZ - 2GB PC3-16000 Platinum Edition Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 1GB) ( $274.95 )"
What the hell was wrong with me....Even now i remember that being the time that 4GB kits were popular and generally cheap, but i remember being so set on a 2GB kit....why.....WHY!!!!
To put things into perspectives, i also bought a  "BFG - GeForce 9800 GTX OCX 512MB ( $549.90 )" in this build. My ****ing ram was half the cost of my video card....

haha..

Well depending on when you got the PC3 16000,   it used to be "FAST"

Back then the smaller sticks also ran much faster than the larger ones..

Now everything is 2400mhz...  which is  PC3 19200

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 12:45:09 »

haha..

The email is dated 7/3/2008.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 15:54:52 »

haha..

hahah, that was at the near beginning of ddr3.. 

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 21:39:30 »

haha..

hahah, that was at the near beginning of ddr3..
Yeah I the beginning of DDR3 and the end of socket 775 lol
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Coreda

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 12:05:27 »
Reflect has pretty limited custom filename formatting. Seems to append a four digit date to the end (?, yet to complete a test backup). Image for Windows got that right at least with the ability to set date/time filename formatting.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 August 2015, 12:12:35 by Coreda »